Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Seeric posted:

Speaking of desperate attempts to make Trump sit down for a minute and stop pulling his entire campaign ever deeper into a swirling vortex of schadenfreude, did that 'intervention' a few Republicans were planning to have with Trump ever actually happen?
The fun part about all of this is so many of the biggest disasters for his campaign could have been solved by someone convincing him that it actually is important to think before you speak, especially if you are going to be speaking live on national television.

I honestly wouldn't even bother if I were them. It's pretty clear at this point that one of the quickest ways to make Trump mad is for anyone, anywhere, to imply that they know more than him about anything. There's no kind of intervention you can have with him because the second you say "Hey, this isn't working, what if we try X" he starts raging out that anyone else is daring to tell him what to do.

I'm honestly not sure how the Republicans can salvage what's happening, if at all. If there's a big, concentrated party-wide pushback against Trump to send a message that he's not what the GOP is about, they lose the racist, rabid base they need to win elections. If they ignore him, he piledrives the party into irrelevancy as he continues to be pretty much The Worst Politician Ever.

The only way I see them saving any face is if Trump has an actual, legitimate, epic public meltdown (like, hysterical sobbing on Fox News or something) that's such a turn-off to his macho racist base they dump him for being a loser and wander off, and it happens in a way where the GOP can keep their hands clean.

The only actual line of attack that might work on him at this point from the party itself is if they flip his winner narrative on him and everyone goes in hard on the idea that Trump is a loser, based on the amount of states that are rapidly flipping blue, although even then most of the Republican base is already convinced all the polls are completely fabricated so that probably won't work either.

Sucks to be them, I guess.

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I can honestly see Trump not meaning to call for judges or Hillary to be assassinated, but after everything else he has said the media will not let that pass as such.
Remember that he specifically says "well if Hillary wins in November and gets to appoint her judges", which blows a hole in the Trump camp explanation that ''oh, he was just saying that gun owners need to go vote for him". He's clearly saying that if Clinton wins extrajudicial methods will be needed to ensure she can't appoint judges who will take your guns.

I would actually feel bad for Manafort today if he wasn't a worse scumbag than Trump in some respects

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
How's that crow taste all y'all saying Trump would tone down and not go past the baby thing?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

:laffo: even the fox news map gives Hillary 270 before we even get to tossup states.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/elizabethforma/status/763130669606309892

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

How's that crow taste all y'all saying Trump would tone down and not go past the baby thing?

I feel like nobody could have seriously predicted Donald Trump would call for the murder of his political opponent while also suggesting she murdered a supreme court justice. Like yeah that's excessive even for Donald Trump.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I love Elizabeth Warren

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Roflan posted:

Punctuation means something. "We need some money, guys." is different from "We need some money guys". 'We need some second amendment, people' implying use of the second amendment and therefore a threat vs 'We need some second amendment people' implying people who advocate the second amendment, implying they vote for him.

Since that part of the speech was clearly from the top of the trumphead, there is no definitive punctuation around.
But for the record, in my opinion, he clearly said "But with the second amendment, people, maybe there is." Basically the "people" is an exclamation mark in the middle of the sentence to raise attention. He does that a lot. It's the same reason a lot of people randomly spout the word "literally".

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I love Elizabeth Warren

Yeah she's Cool

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Yet to be confirmed, but: it looks like the pivot is back on

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/763110016152928258

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Senator of my heart.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Yeah, Trump called for the assassination of his political rival, but did you know that Hillary pushed for scheduled debates at AWKWARD TIMES??

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lotka Volterra posted:

I am honestly shocked if they decided to take that tack.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Lotka Volterra posted:

Just like gangsters used to tell people to pay protection or something unfortunate COULD happen to them. Perfectly reasonable.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Lotka Volterra posted:

It's real.

Cross posting from another thread:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like nobody could have seriously predicted Donald Trump would call for the murder of his political opponent while also suggesting she murdered a supreme court justice. Like yeah that's excessive even for Donald Trump.

Yeah me neither but that wasn't my point. Trump's only predictable factor is his ability to find new depths of poo poo headiness none thought possible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lotka Volterra posted:

Boy, that "Trump was talking about voting, not shooting" defense didn't last long, did it?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Lotka Volterra posted:

Holy loving poo poo

I didn't think they could surprise me anymore

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I don't see how you can possibly spin this as 'but I meant the ballot box'. The context of the sentence was 'if she gets to pick judges, there is nothing you can do', which implies we're discussing AFTER the election.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Seeric posted:

did that 'intervention' a few Republicans were planning to have with Trump ever actually happen?

It almost certainly did, but what they pressed on him was "For God's sake, quit attacking your fellow party members and go after Hillary!"

And so he did!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You'd think they would have done a group huddle first, to get their story straight, but nope, every Trump surrogate is leaping heroically into the fray with a wildly different "obvious" interpretation.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lotka Volterra posted:

Trump's people are trying to stay on point here, but with him saying whatever his tiny brains thinks about straight away, it's hard to know what that point might be.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I really can't wait for the first debate. It's going to be loving Christmas

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I see Dennis Reynolds is running the Trump campaign now

Because of the implication

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I wonder just how far Trump is gonna go after this? Call her a bitch to her face in the debates? Ragequit and leave the republican party hanging?

Is this the world's greatest performance artist or just a clueless idiot?

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
Earlier!

Baldasaro doubles down says clinton should be put in firing line shot for treason.

Kevlar under a pantsuit would be hot as hell.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Roflan posted:

Punctuation means something. "We need some money, guys." is different from "We need some money guys". 'We need some second amendment, people' implying use of the second amendment and therefore a threat vs 'We need some second amendment people' implying people who advocate the second amendment, implying they vote for him.

This is exactly my point. It was obviously a threat, even if just a bad joke, and all this " second amendment people " is clumsy covering.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lotka Volterra posted:

So now the argument is, "if we don't win, someone from our side might do something extremely terrible. Of course we don't want this to happen. The only choice is to win." That's straight up extortion.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
This 2nd amendment gaffe is a great chance to point out something thats been bugging me all election. What trump says, how i take it, and how its taken.

Direct Trump quote:Thank you. It’s true, and these are the best and the finest. When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
[/quote]

What i heard: "Someone willing to risk their life and fortune to subvert the legal immigration process is likely to be someone who would be weeded out by it, we should enforce our borders better".

What you heard: All mexicans are rapists, white power!

Direct Trump quote:"If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do folks. Although the Second Amendment people—maybe there is. I don't know."

What i heard: Hillary is going to gently caress the second amendment sideways, if you care about this vote against her.

What you heard: Someone please shoot hillary.

(Frankly "What i heard" could just as easily be "What he should have said", but really, what do you expect from a candidate from queens)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 9, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Nah, this is Many people say this is just Trump trying to make sure a bunch of little girls winning some bullshit like, um, the Olympics doesn't upstage him.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 9, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I wonder just how far Trump is gonna go after this? Call her a bitch to her face in the debates? Ragequit and leave the republican party hanging?

Is this the world's greatest performance artist or just a clueless idiot?

he has a strong, crippling personality disorder that he's never had to deal with because he was born rich

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

This 2nd amendment gaffe is a great chance to point out something thats been bugging me all election. What trump says, how i take it, and how its taken.

What i heard: "Someone willing to risk their life and fortune to subvert the legal immigration process is likely to be someone who would be weeded out by it, we should enforce our borders better".

What i heard: Hillary is going to gently caress the second amendment sideways, if you care about this vote against her.

(Frankly "What i heard" could just as easily be "What he should have said", and really is what you should expect from a candidate from queens)

no

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trump is already acting Presidential as hell. Presidents reach out to unfortunate victims of hate crimes, right?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MattD1zzl3 posted:

this is because you're a dumb racist though

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I'm sure Hillary is seriously considering Trump's "let me win or you're going to die. No, I'm not saying I'm going to kill you, that's ridiculous. Just know that someone is going to shoot you" proposal.

Probably going to drop out soon

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MattD1zzl3 posted:

(Frankly "What i heard" could just as easily be "What he should have said", and really is what you should expect from a candidate from queens)

What you hear is your brain doing a wishy washy "I'm still a good person, I'm not hateful and racist" but you are and you just can't cope otherwise.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Source your quotes

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this is because you're a dumb racist though

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Only way this could be better if she ended it 'losing to a girl with bigger hands'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

What you hear is your brain doing a wishy washy "I'm still a good person, I'm not hateful and racist" but you are and you just can't cope otherwise.

Yeah, look @ my av I know this is whats happening

• Locked thread