Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Schpyder posted:

So I guess this LS season isn't going with the biweekly episode schedule?

Booooooooooo

Fake edit:

lol

I wonder if they're taking longer so that they can do more new zones like Bloodstone Fen. That's what I hope, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Gems eh

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Arus no

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
0.01% zone please, Anet

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought 10 Bloodstone dyes and one got two out of it.
Thankfully they were the dark purple and red. They almost look like a darker enameled.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

ItBurns posted:

0.01% zone please, Anet

*wallet falls out of cargo jorts*

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Hit 500 Armorsmith today. That's my first and only 500 crafting skill and it felt pretty cool. GW efficiency is really great and helped out a ton for the 400-500 climb. Buying the linings and casings from the TP rather than making them was such a cost saver.

Now that my first profession is maxed, which class would be a good candidate for Weaponsmithing next? My Warrior is my Armorsmith now, he's 80. Revenant is 80 so there's no point on using him. I don't have a Guardian, who also seems like a decent choice? I guess when it comes right down to it my class won't make much impact on the profession anyway since I can just buy exotics from the WvW vendor for a low price, or spend some karma. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

nickhimself posted:

Hit 500 Armorsmith today. That's my first and only 500 crafting skill and it felt pretty cool. GW efficiency is really great and helped out a ton for the 400-500 climb. Buying the linings and casings from the TP rather than making them was such a cost saver.

Now that my first profession is maxed, which class would be a good candidate for Weaponsmithing next? My Warrior is my Armorsmith now, he's 80. Revenant is 80 so there's no point on using him. I don't have a Guardian, who also seems like a decent choice? I guess when it comes right down to it my class won't make much impact on the profession anyway since I can just buy exotics from the WvW vendor for a low price, or spend some karma. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Which class you craft on really doesn't matter since you can shuffle items between characters anyway.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I'm giving GW2 another shot, since I haven't played since it launched and I really want one of the sparkly rainbow weapons. What class should I pick up for a fun chill time?

I'm leaning towards Mesmer (I like how they look, illusions are cool), Thief (mobility + aesthetic), or Engineer (gun, turrets, goggles).

Please note, I am bad at games and can't can't handle a complex rotation (I thought Elementalist was major chore to play).

Gato The Elder fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 9, 2016

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Trashcan posted:

I'm giving GW2 another shot, since I haven't played since it launched and I really want one of the sparkly rainbow weapons. What class should I pick up for a fun chill time?

Please note, I am bad at games and can't can't handle a complex rotation (I thought Elementalist was major chore to play).

Ele and engi come with tons of buttons, so I'd avoid those. Thief and mesmer are underwhelming if you want to play them casually as possible. Revenant has a legendary switching mechanic that I guess could be too much effort for some folks to have fun with. Everything else in the game (Guardian, Warrior, Ranger, Necro) is super duper simple.

Note that you can play any class as simply as you like and still do fine in 99% of the content in this game.

Also standard minmaxy effort advice - Mesmer, Revenant, and Guardian don't get a passive speedboost so they're a bit more tedious to level with.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Trashcan posted:

I'm leaning towards Mesmer (I like how they look, illusions are cool), Thief (mobility + aesthetic), or Engineer (gun, turrets, goggles).

Well I guess it would depend on what sparkly rainbow weapons you want first of all.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

SlothBear posted:

Ele and engi come with tons of buttons, so I'd avoid those. Thief and mesmer are underwhelming if you want to play them casually as possible. Revenant has a legendary switching mechanic that I guess could be too much effort for some folks to have fun with. Everything else in the game (Guardian, Warrior, Ranger, Necro) is super duper simple.

Note that you can play any class as simply as you like and still do fine in 99% of the content in this game.

Also standard minmaxy effort advice - Mesmer, Revenant, and Guardian don't get a passive speedboost so they're a bit more tedious to level with.

Hrm. What it does it take to get either Thief or Mesmer to not be underwhelming?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

There's a legendary longbow that literally shoots rainbow ponies, so keep that in mind when selecting your class.

e: shortbow! not longbow

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wow, the Mordremoth battle music actually kinda owns. I wish I could've heard it over the sound effects in the fight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMdRgIQPAiI

The Heart of Thorns soundtrack is way better than the base game's soundtrack I think. It's more distinct, less bombastic.

Trashcan posted:

Hrm. What it does it take to get either Thief or Mesmer to not be underwhelming?

A nice pile of levels and good knowledge of what your profession is good at.

I can't really speak to Thief, but Mesmer kinda sucks for around half of its levels (though things are better now that you have a semi-reliable source of movement speed buffs and some better baseline abilities, compared to launch), and even when you hit 80, you kind of have to make peace with the fact that you have the absolute lowest DPS of any profession in PvE, period. That doesn't mean Mesmer is bad--the support they can provide is fantastic with the new Chronomancer specialization--but just know that you're never going to blow things up the way some other professions can. Mesmer's my favorite profession in the game, so I've made my peace with all that, but I know it's a turnoff for some people. (All that goes out the window in PvP/WvW, though, where Mesmer's condition damage and burst is pretty drat impressive.)

I think if you want to have a nice, chill time from start to finish, I'd recommend Necromancer. It's powerful, versatile, and amazingly durable. They also have access to one of the more rainbow-y of the rainbow weapons, the legendary staff Bifrost. Though not much is more rainbow that the legendary shortbow that Mover pointed out, and you can rock that as a Thief.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 9, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mesmer may not be a powerhouse but it's really fun and everyone should give it a decent shot.

Necromancer is probably the easiest profession to use. High damage, high health, insane survivability and all their powers look cool.
Plus, once you get Reaper, it's hilarious how many bodies pile up user your feet.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Trashcan posted:

HoT/Daredevil were disappointing to me 'cause Thief was my favorite class, and they didn't really get anything new to play with. I've moved on to Revenant, its Shiro (aka Legendary Assassin) stance combined with main-hand sword/staff replicates the mobile/dodgy style of Thief well enough for my taste, while having a whole lot more toys to play with if you're inclined to dig deeper or just mess around.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Do the two alternate forms (death shroud and reapers shroud?) obscure my armor details? I'd hate to spend a ton of time getting pretty only to have it occluded by black death mist or w/e :ohdear:

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

This looks like what Arus must wear irl during his hikes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Trashcan posted:

Do the two alternate forms (death shroud and reapers shroud?) obscure my armor details? I'd hate to spend a ton of time getting pretty only to have it occluded by black death mist or w/e :ohdear:

They do sorta, lots of black fog, and Reaper Shroud replaces your weapon with a sweet scythe. But you're also not going to spend all your time in the alternate forms, either--it's not a WoW Druid shapeshifting situation where you always want to be in a form.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

For thief, it's more about positioning, using blinds and dodges, and dealing with the fact that you're absurdly squishy. It's not a good class to try to play if you're like watching netflix. Coupled with the fact that if you start leveling right now it will probably be nerfed twice by the time you're 80 it's just not the easiest class at the moment is all.

I third the recommendation of necro for a great newbie class. It gets a passive speed boost pretty easily with signet of the locust, it starts off with the highest hp in the game (tied with warrior), gets a second hp bar on top of that, can level easily with a power build and massive aoe damage to kill tons of stuff at once, and can facetank big things with dagger type lifesteal builds. As far as effort to result ratios go, necro is definitely the best class in the game atm.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I get knocked down

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

fappenmeister posted:

I get knocked down

But I get up again

(And cast Stability)

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

They just had to make the new dye pack have some really nice colors didn't they :qq:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

They look great on metal as well.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

That's one heck of a rock and a throwing arm. I swear they can do it from halfway across the map.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Redmanred posted:

Five loving legendaries!

New one is all sparky and glowy on Redmanred and Blunder Red.

Did you do this to spite me and make me play the game again?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Lonk posted:

This looks like what Arus must wear irl during his hikes.

Now we just need pants with a brown streak in them to complete the set.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

UchihaHirou posted:

Yes, come back to my warm embrace

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Harrow posted:

I wonder if they're taking longer so that they can do more new zones like Bloodstone Fen. That's what I hope, anyway.

That would be amazing! I can't wait to see what else they come up with. Think we're going after another dragon in this or after Lazarus?

nickhimself posted:

I have all my professions on my main character. It's just easier that way since she's my favorite. Anything you make can be transferred over anyway.

Inzombiac posted:

Necromancer is probably the easiest profession to use. High damage, high health, insane survivability and all their powers look cool.
Plus, once you get Reaper, it's hilarious how many bodies pile up user your feet.

Necro is amazing. :3

Trashcan posted:

Yes the shrouds obscure your armor but it makes you look amazing. If you think you'll have a problem with that just make the character and take it to the PvP lobby and wail on the dummies.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

ahaha the achievements for the new armor skin is the dumbest loving thing ive seen since vanilla wow

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
Gonna start playing this game again. Got a signup request over in the SFD forums.

How often do you guys do WVW? That was always my favorite part of the game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

eggrolled posted:

They just had to make the new dye pack have some really nice colors didn't they :qq:

gently caress me I need that coral.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Sjonnar posted:

Gonna start playing this game again. Got a signup request over in the SFD forums.

tomorrow

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Sjonnar posted:

There's a scheduled event once a week on Wednesdays, in practice also at reset, and then there tends to be people running around whenever the action seems to be picking up.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

UchihaHirou posted:

All my actions are driven on spite.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone tell me what this tequalts watery grave thing is about?

Been to busy with college stuff to log in.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I would guess they added a way to enter it to get the achievement for getting the chest at the bottom. People burn Teq down so quickly these days, most people probably never see one of those whirlpools that would send you in there mid-fight.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Can someone tell me what this tequalts watery grave thing is about?

Been to busy with college stuff to log in.

There's an achievement that requires being sucked into a whirlpool made by Teq, but Teq only makes the whirlpools just before the first battery phase or if the map fails the burn phase. Failing the burn phase is extremely rare, so you end up with a lot of people finding it very difficult and confusing to get the achievement. This way those people have a guaranteed chance to get the achievement after the fight's ended.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Lyer posted:

ahaha the achievements for the new armor skin is the dumbest loving thing ive seen since vanilla wow

oh god what did they add

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
It's slightly more involved than idling at Tequatl for 45 minutes and autoing his foot, so file this one under Hardcore Bullshit

• Locked thread