Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Gobias Ind. posted:

So I'm doing my first auction draft this year and have started to do a little prep to get a feel for it. Just did my first mock - 12 teams, PPR, $200 budget. Anything here look particularly egregious or savvy?

Are there actually any _good_ mock auction sites? Everything I've seen in the past just involves people blowing tons of money in the first two rounds then leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

89 posted:

I just don't understand why Rawls is so low. He's off the PUP list and was a BEAST last year. Getting him in the late 3rd/early 4th seems like a steal.

They spent more draft equity on rb than any other team in the past 5 years. Rawls is their least paid back currently and is coming off an injury.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Papes posted:

They spent more draft equity on rb than any other team in the past 5 years. Rawls is their least paid back currently and is coming off an injury.

So what you're saying is they're gonna run him into the ground because he's cheap and expendable right? on top of that he's already been injured!

:downs:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Also CJ Prosise is stepping into the Fred Jackson role, Christine Michael is Christine Michael and Alex Collins Cannot Not Fumble.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

VietCampo posted:

So what you're saying is they're gonna run him into the ground because he's cheap and expendable right? on top of that he's already been injured!

:downs:

That's what the Cowboys did with DeMarco :downs:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

89 posted:

The games Rawls wasn't injured/Lynch playing:

Week 3 - 16 carries, 104 yards
Week 4 - 17 carries - 48 yards
Week 5 - 23 carries - 169 yards, 1 TD
Week 10 - 30 carries - 209 yards, 1 Rush TD, 1 Recieving TD
Week 11 - 21 carries - 81 yards, 1 TD
Week 12 - 19 carries - 101 yards, 1 TD

I mean, didn't you partially answer your own question? UDFA that flashed super bright for six games, got a pretty bad injury, and had his team draft three RBs is risky as hell. Not sure what RB rank he's at right now, though. I'm completely happy drafting him as a low RB1/high RB2, given the risk and upside, but there is a ton of risk.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Papes posted:

Only one of those draftees is guaranteed to make the team and he's nursing a multi-week hammy injury right now

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

RVProfootballer posted:

I mean, didn't you partially answer your own question? UDFA that flashed super bright for six games, got a pretty bad injury, and had his team draft three RBs is risky as hell. Not sure what RB rank he's at right now, though. I'm completely happy drafting him as a low RB1/high RB2, given the risk and upside, but there is a ton of risk.

Lot of risk, but not necessarily more so than the other young running backs that are going significantly ahead of him. Rawls had 20 more carries and 300 more rushing yards than David Johnson, with higher per game volume, less competition in the backfield, and better efficiency, but is going like 3 rounds later. And don't even get me started on Zeke`s risk, or Freeman.

Don't get me wrong, I still like DJ better. But I think Rawls is quite possibly the better runner, which counts for something.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Forever_Peace posted:

Lot of risk, but not necessarily more so than the other young running backs that are going significantly ahead of him. Rawls had 20 more carries and 300 more rushing yards than David Johnson, with higher per game volume, less competition in the backfield, and better efficiency, but is going like 3 rounds later. And don't even get me started on Zeke`s risk, or Freeman.

Don't get me wrong, I still like DJ better. But I think Rawls is quite possibly the better runner, which counts for something.

There was some advanced statistics (TM) that were going around here months ago that had listed Rawls as up and beyond the best RB of any RB that played last year.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

89 posted:

There was some advanced statistics (TM) that were going around here months ago that had listed Rawls as up and beyond the best RB of any RB that played last year.

That actually may have been me, in the Ground Control Project thread. Rawls had the greatest single-game rushing performance in 2015, and it wasn't close (by one method, anyways).

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'll try to stop posting about this after this (until the draft on Sunday). You've got the 11th pick in a 12 man. 0.3 PPR. 2RB, 2WR, 1 Flex (amongst others. What TWO guys do you take?

Lamar Miller
Jamaal Charles
Brandon Marshall
LeVeon Bell
Devonte Freeman
Keenan Allen
Jordy Nelson

I am getting close to the idea that LeVeon Bell needs to be my first pick. His injury was a freak thing. He's 24 years old. Take his production and DeAngelo's production and roughly combine them and you get his same exact monster season from the year before with NOBODY in close contention except for Antonio Brown. Not to mention, the first month of fantasy is the easiest to suffer without your top pick. With 4 less games under LeVeon's belt from the suspension, that means he's healthier and doesn't wear down as easily as the rest of the RBs. Thus lowering the risk of injury significantly along with giving yet another month of recovery from his injury last year. He IS the number one RB. He was before this suspension. Still is. It's a gift that his ADP has slipped so far.

I'm thinking either LeVeon and Lamar. Or LeVeon and Marshall.

89 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 10, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is there a goon ppr league this year that I don't have to pay to lose badly

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is there a goon ppr league this year that I don't have to pay to lose badly

The League of Posts has two openings! I'd link it but I'm phone posting. it's here in armchair Q.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

pmchem posted:

The League of Posts has two openings! I'd link it but I'm phone posting. it's here in armchair Q.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782046

join us

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Also come join Cheating for Charity and use your powers for good

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784874&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

quote:

Burton made the team as an UDFA under coach Chip Kelly in 2014, but he's been criminally underused through two seasons. A borne playmaker, Burton is in the Jordan Reed-Aaron Hernandez mold at 6'3/235. He's a former QB-turner-WR-turned-TE out of Florida, and the athleticism shows on the field. With very little to get excited about at receiver in Philadelphia, Kempski believes the Eagles' best offensive setup would be "13 personnel" -- one running back, one receiver, and three tight ends. Burton is expected to see a big boost in offensive snaps this season.

:stare:

I feel like I've never seen a 3TE set before.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

LmaoTheKid posted:

:stare:

I feel like I've never seen a 3TE set before.

That'd be sweet. You have your 3 TE's in a bunch formation which allows motions for run plays, you spend all your cap on one really good WR that can stretch the field in probable 1 on 1s because the safetys will be sucked in to cover the TEs, your RB gets an additional mobile blocker, and you can run a ton of high percentage pass plays with tall, bullying receivers.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

89 posted:

I'll try to stop posting about this after this (until the draft on Sunday). You've got the 11th pick in a 12 man. 0.3 PPR. 2RB, 2WR, 1 Flex (amongst others. What TWO guys do you take?

Lamar Miller
Jamaal Charles
Brandon Marshall
LeVeon Bell
Devonte Freeman
Keenan Allen
Jordy Nelson

I am getting close to the idea that LeVeon Bell needs to be my first pick. His injury was a freak thing. He's 24 years old. Take his production and DeAngelo's production and roughly combine them and you get his same exact monster season from the year before with NOBODY in close contention except for Antonio Brown. Not to mention, the first month of fantasy is the easiest to suffer without your top pick. With 4 less games under LeVeon's belt from the suspension, that means he's healthier and doesn't wear down as easily as the rest of the RBs. Thus lowering the risk of injury significantly along with giving yet another month of recovery from his injury last year. He IS the number one RB. He was before this suspension. Still is. It's a gift that his ADP has slipped so far.

Bell for sure. Then pick your poison between miller, Marshall, charles or nelson.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Dynasty player call out: YOU HAVE 1 DAY TO CLAIM YOUR SPOT Before I open it up to all the goons. This is the third year for our super keeper league (15 keepers, 22 roster slots, 7 round draft). If you want in join the wait list in the linked thread. We have at least one open spot unless harold changes his mind.

KettleWL
-------OPEN - HonoreDeBalzac << You can still change your mind =[
Harold Cooplowski
Gobias Ind.

post ITT : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654090&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=12 to join the wait-list or claim your spot.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Forever_Peace posted:

Rawls is an excellent runner but he's weaker in the passing game, now has an injury history, and several other RBs on the depth chart who will be looking to take carries away from him.

That isn't to say that all of these concerns are overblown. Seattle maintained a nearly 50/50 split in run/pass plays throughout last season. The other RBs are either 3rd down backs or CMike (lol). His injury is the only thing worth considering but he's back to practicing. His ADP is just reflective of the amount of perceived risk associated with him.

I say draft Rawls with confidence.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Bell for sure. Then pick your poison between miller, Marshall, charles or nelson.

Can someone convince me it's worth spending your 1st on a guy that'll miss a third of the fantasy season, plus is coming off a serious knee injury (though I don't know how MCL and PCL recoveries compare to ACL)? It isn't like you're taking him over lovely alternatives, the rest of those options are fantastic. I'm not sure I really buy the "just draft Deangelo Williams in the 5th or 6th" explanation either. Why not draft Miller and DWill, or Charles and DWill, if you value him there? Legit asking to be convinced, as I'm not sure it's a bad idea, but it feels that way.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

Can someone convince me it's worth spending your 1st on a guy that'll miss a third of the fantasy season, plus is coming off a serious knee injury (though I don't know how MCL and PCL recoveries compare to ACL)? It isn't like you're taking him over lovely alternatives, the rest of those options are fantastic. I'm not sure I really buy the "just draft Deangelo Williams in the 5th or 6th" explanation either. Why not draft Miller and DWill, or Charles and DWill, if you value him there? Legit asking to be convinced, as I'm not sure it's a bad idea, but it feels that way.

The first 4 games are the least important of the year.

For all Millers hype/potential/truth he is still unproven in the new offense.

Charles is much older and coming off a similar injury.

I dont care to convince, but it's my opinion that Bell is the best RB in the league right now. IF you aren't afraid of his pot problem that is.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

The first 4 games are the least important of the year.

I don't think this is true enough to matter, especially if you're in a league with a playoff bye round. Why are the first 4 weeks less important than the 4 weeks just before fantasy playoffs start? And again, if securing a bye week is possible in your league, every week is important.

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

For all Millers hype/potential/truth he is still unproven in the new offense.

Charles is much older and coming off a similar injury.

Sure, and Bell is coming off a knee injury, guaranteed to miss 4 games, and potential to miss more if he smokes more weed and gets caught. Your concerns with Miller and Charles are why they aren't
unambiguous early 1st rounders, not reasons to draft Bell in the late 1st.

Are you assuming he provides a big enough per game value over those other late 1st options that you can lose him for 4 weeks and reap the rewards in the playoffs? Is that just a gut feeling or has anyone looked at it more carefully? The only somewhat relevant analysis I've seen was trying to look at how improving your output at a starting position affects your probability of winning it all, with the upshot being that it doesn't move the needle much unless you go from not having a bye to having a bye, but it was a very hand wavy, anecdotal kind of analysis.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

All other things being equal, in a 0.5 PPR keeper league, who do you prefer: Allen Robinson, or Mark Ingram?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sago posted:

All other things being equal, in a 0.5 PPR keeper league, who do you prefer: Allen Robinson, or Mark Ingram?

ARob

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Sago posted:

Robinson

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

89 posted:

Lamar Miller
Jamaal Charles
Brandon Marshall
LeVeon Bell
Devonte Freeman
Keenan Allen
Jordy Nelson

I like Freeman and Marshall. Why Freeman? Hes in a good scheme that fits his cutback style, the offensive line has added some new pieces. Hes so far ahead of Coleman in terms of catching and pass blocking where he will always be playing on third downs.

Sure he tailed off but that workload was really heavy for a guy's first full season of a full workload.

Hes been pretty healthy aside from some preseason hamstring injuries and a concussion. But everyone can get those kind of injuries playing rb.

Coleman is a pretty decent runner too and will do well behind a good Atlanta o line. Handcuff him to Freeman.

If youre thinking about handcuffing Deangelo I wouldnt go completely by his success last year. The guy is an old rb and they fall off fast.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 10, 2016

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't think this is true enough to matter, especially if you're in a league with a playoff bye round. Why are the first 4 weeks less important than the 4 weeks just before fantasy playoffs start? And again, if securing a bye week is possible in your league, every week is important.

Sure, and Bell is coming off a knee injury, guaranteed to miss 4 games, and potential to miss more if he smokes more weed and gets caught. Your concerns with Miller and Charles are why they aren't
unambiguous early 1st rounders, not reasons to draft Bell in the late 1st.

Are you assuming he provides a big enough per game value over those other late 1st options that you can lose him for 4 weeks and reap the rewards in the playoffs? Is that just a gut feeling or has anyone looked at it more carefully? The only somewhat relevant analysis I've seen was trying to look at how improving your output at a starting position affects your probability of winning it all, with the upshot being that it doesn't move the needle much unless you go from not having a bye to having a bye, but it was a very hand wavy, anecdotal kind of analysis.

Losing a guy the first 4 weeks matters less than say the last 4 weeks because it is much easier to fill the gap with your roster and/or the waiver wire. The longer the season goes on the less talent is left on the wire.

You asked specifically about miller and Charles so I gave you a reason why someone could feel confident drafting bell over them.

It really is simple. Bell is a better fantasy producer than miller and probably now Charles so losing 4 games is an alright price to pay for me. Plugging someone in for 4 weeks doesn't intimidate me in the slightest so I would rather have the better fantasy producer overall when it matters. Specifically the playoffs are when picking bell will pay off.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Michael Phelps smokes pot. LeVeon Bell smokes pot.

I like it :downs:

I think Lamar Miller is a fairly safe pick even with the fact that we are drafting him more on potential vs. being for sure about his production on a new team. I've been burned in the 1st round before on CJ Anderson and CJ Spiller. Matter of fact, I believe Lamar Miller will be the #1 fantasy RB at the end of the year. My biggest worry so that...with all of those supposed carries he will get...Lamar will be fire the first 8-10 weeks of the season. BUT...what's he gonna be like when it's time for fantasy playoffs? Injured?

Realistically, I'm not that worried and I'd still take him. But I'm pretty much convinced Bell will be my first pick.

Hell, last year he was still a top 3/top 5 pick with the same suspension. My only thought is Lamar/Charles vs. Brandon Marshall in that....there's a 30% chance that a top round RB gets a serious injury vs. a top round WR (#rotoviz)

89 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 10, 2016

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Losing a guy the first 4 weeks matters less than say the last 4 weeks because it is much easier to fill the gap with your roster and/or the waiver wire. The longer the season goes on the less talent is left on the wire.

The first 4 weeks is also when guys like Devonte Freeman or Alfred Morris in his rookie year happen. As opposed to the last 4 weeks when those guys are taken lonnnnng before that.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

89 posted:

The first 4 weeks is also when guys like Devonte Freeman or Alfred Morris in his rookie year happen. As opposed to the last 4 weeks when those guys are taken lonnnnng before that.

This is anecdotal and just not true. Last year alone, off the top of my head, Charcandrick West, Spencer Ware, and Buck Allen all definitely had significant impacts on the end of the regular season and/or the playoffs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I get more than enough cash from donations so I'll throw this out there; if someone can't afford the $25 up front for the Charity league but still wants to play I'll cover it. All I ask is that you either drop a few bucks into the pot if you can, or pay it forward somehow by volunteering or doing something else cool.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Gobias Ind. posted:

This is anecdotal and just not true. Last year alone, off the top of my head, Charcandrick West, Spencer Ware, and Buck Allen all definitely had significant impacts on the end of the regular season and/or the playoffs.

I don't know if you're contradicting him. Freeman and Morris were year long starters when they broke out, none of the guys you listed were. Anyway, you'd need to look far more carefully at it to say definitively one way or the other, rather than just naming a few names. I suspect a somewhat artificial effect that you find better players break out earlier in the season, just because they have a longer time to amass points. If you looked at per game averages, I doubt you'd find a difference, but I don't know.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I think I'd rather have LeVeon Bell in the playoffs than Buck Allen.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't know if you're contradicting him. Freeman and Morris were year long starters when they broke out, none of the guys you listed were. Anyway, you'd need to look far more carefully at it to say definitively one way or the other, rather than just naming a few names. I suspect a somewhat artificial effect that you find better players break out earlier in the season, just because they have a longer time to amass points. If you looked at per game averages, I doubt you'd find a difference, but I don't know.

I mean yeah, in the first 4 weeks you're more likely to get a guy that helps you the whole year; but Allen, Ware, etc. likely would have too if the injuries to Charles and Forsett had occurred 3 months earlier. Those guys are no more likely to pop up in the first 4 weeks than they are in Week 12 though. (at least not through injury. I suppose they could take over the job for a struggling back)

So I guess I'm not really sure what 89 is arguing? You could waiver-wire your way into a guy putting up WR1/RB1 stats at any point in the year, so I don't think it really has any bearing on whether you should draft Le'Veon Bell or not.

Gobias Ind. fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 10, 2016

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

89 posted:

I think I'd rather have LeVeon Bell in the playoffs than Buck Allen.

It is not an either/or proposition. I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Gobias Ind. posted:

So I guess I'm not really sure what 89 is arguing? You could waiver-wire your way into a guy putting up WR1/RB1 stats at any point in the year, so I don't think it really has any bearing on whether you should draft Le'Veon Bell or not.

Makes sense to me, which just makes me think your RB1 missing games early or late are both bad.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Its just weird to me what 89 is saying when every fantasy season is different with a lot of volatilty. If you can predict that you will 100% make the playoffs and make the right moves on the waiver. Then great Bell is fine. Every week is important when winning 8 games is usually what you need to make playoffs. Starting off 0-4 and being forced to go 8-1 the rest of the way would suck.

Heres another thing about Bell. After being suspended for four games and coming back from injury. I dont think you can assume hes just going to step in and take the full load. He might be a little rusty and the coaches might hold him back. Hes going to be playing the Jets Week 5 as well.

His playoff schedule is pretty good though.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 10, 2016

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I've run a "big money" league the last 2 years. I've created the thread, the league is open to all goons and goonettes.

$50 buy in, 12 team ESPN league with a Leaguesafe, 2RB/3WR/2flex no kicker, draft 9/1 @ 6:30PM PST

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3786119

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't know how people can be comfortable shrugging off Bell's injury as a "freak" when this is his second major knee ligament injury in a row (nobody noticed in 2014 because it happened Week 17). Especially if you're going to dog Jamaal Charles for the same concerns.

• Locked thread