Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Verranicus posted:

How can you want ults gone if you play Reaper who arguably does most of his work other than picking off the occasional squishy with his ult?

I like death blossom but I acknowledge it is not fair to my enemies that I can just kill them and there's nothing they can do if there's a lucio near me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Genji is fun! Never played him until people started complaining about him and now i will play him into the ground until (if) he gets nerfed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if most of your kills are from death blossom, you're a bad reaper tbh

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

if most of your kills are from death blossom, you're a bad reaper tbh

I've found it's about a 40/60 split, I average 25-ish kills per match and at least 8-10 of them usually come from death blossom.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So did this stealth patch fix the Genji/Hanzo crash on nepal? Because I lost two ranks to it earlier today and while I generally don't give a poo poo about rank now that I've hit 60 it's annoying to crash out like that.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I like death blossom but I acknowledge it is not fair to my enemies that I can just kill them and there's nothing they can do if there's a lucio near me

Ana - Sleep
Roadhog - Hook
Mcree - Flashbang
Reinhart - Hammer down

--
Lucio - Boop
Junkrat - conc mine
Pharah - conc rocket

Just a few interrupts off the top of my head, obviously varying degrees of effectiveness.

Oh and Zen's ult, a 2 for 1 trade is a win.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Genji - reflect

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Interrupts don't make it fair that I can more than double my DPS with a hitscan AOE attack with the press of a button

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
An AOE hitscan attack that less than halves your movement speed and screams DIE DIE DIE really loud at your opponents so they know to focus you immediately. Also, you only get to do it once or twice per game, win lose or draw. Yes, very unfair.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

death blossom is one of the most telegraphed ults in the game, it's very easy to deal with most of the time

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqRCmBzpriE

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

death blossom is one of the most telegraphed ults in the game, it's very easy to deal with most of the time

Are you sure

strong bird
May 12, 2009

*walks into 4 people and presses q, giving the enemy team .25 seconds to either kill me instantly or ill begin rapidly killing them all and lifestealing from every kill* wow Looks like you all need to use your crowd control

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That scream at the end is icing on the cake

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

strong bird posted:

*walks into 4 people and presses q, giving the enemy team .25 seconds to either kill me instantly or ill begin rapidly killing them all and lifestealing from every kill* wow Looks like you all need to use your crowd control

yes, actually.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sade posted:

An AOE hitscan attack that less than halves your movement speed and screams DIE DIE DIE really loud at your opponents so they know to focus you immediately. Also, you only get to do it once or twice per game, win lose or draw. Yes, very unfair.

It halves your movement speed and yet it still kills most of the non-tank classes before they have a chance to get out of the AOE. :shrug:

I just don't think it's a sound argument to say "these skills specifically counter it, so it's fair". What about the 15 classes that don't have those counter skills?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

That must come as a surprise to the pro teams who often use it to great effect.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you have more than enough time to get away or else knock the reaper himself out of the way. zen nullifies the ult entirely and you can easily press q before the death blossom kills anyone

strong bird posted:

Are you sure

if you see a reaper (wraith) walking towards your whole team, you can be pretty sure what he plans to do

Papercut posted:

That must come as a surprise to the pro teams who often use it to great effect.

I'm sure your pub games have reapers getting speed boosted into enemy teams after sound barrier all the time

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So did some pro player rant about the current meta or something because I've been in two games where some tryhard was whining about our comp not being 2 healers, 2 tanks and 2 attackers before we won.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you see a reaper (wraith) walking towards your whole team, you can be pretty sure what he plans to do

Because the only place a reaper player can possibly come from is directly in front of you, walking straight at you. :rolleyes:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it was in reference to this post and you know it dude

strong bird posted:

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Verranicus posted:

So did some pro player rant about the current meta or something because I've been in two games where some tryhard was whining about our comp not being 2 healers, 2 tanks and 2 attackers before we won.

there was a reddit post at the top that was like "pro tips for low rank comp players" and this was like point number two

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Warbird posted:

A hero called Jet Black would be even cooler.

Might be a problem with copyright but yeah, I'm on board.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Verranicus posted:

I hope so, because I'm tired of having to choose between being the only tank or only healer.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Pumpy Dumper posted:

there was a reddit post at the top that was like "pro tips for low rank comp players" and this was like point number two

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4wvlb6/a_few_tips_for_lower_rank_players_looking_to/

This is the thread

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
If you aren't keeping tabs on where Reaper is at all times you deserve the death blossom that you get. Situational awareness is super important, and even more so when a Reaper is fielded.

Personally I see death blossoms as a free pick because he is super slow, easy to hit, and cannot wraith form away. If you don't have any ults to counter it then you mismanaged your ults at some point. :shrug:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think I'm falling in love with Zenyatta because with his orbs he lets me swat tryhards if my team is nice enough to shoot the people I orb.

I also enjoy discording D.Vas and wrecking their mechs in seconds, then discording them when they pop out and watching my whole team gun them down instantly. I enjoy discording people who overestimate their survivability in general.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ravenfood posted:

I hope so, because I'm tired of having to choose between being the only tank or only healer.

I really don't understand why Tank classes aren't more popular. They're all fun as hell to play and the pace and location of combat is almost entirely dictated by you. Guys like Rein and Roadhog can singlehandedly wipe the enemy team too.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

I really don't understand why Tank classes aren't more popular. They're all fun as hell to play and the pace and location of combat is almost entirely dictated by you. Guys like Rein and Roadhog can singlehandedly wipe the enemy team too.

Because most people want to make the big play and be able to poo poo out damage, not take it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I spent the entire time I played WoW as a tank; I'm also bad at playing them in Overwatch. I'm only halfway competent with Winston and Zarya and only on offense.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Away all Goats posted:

In the last couple days my biggest team composition problem is too many people going tank. So many games with three tanks and only one or no offensive heroes at all! :)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Because most people want to make the big play and be able to poo poo out damage, not take it

Roadhog is a good compromise then, especially since his ult shits out bullets like crazy.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Pumpy Dumper posted:

It's kinda funny that players watch pros or read posts like that and assume following it to the letter will suddenly make you win.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

Roadhog is a good compromise then, especially since his ult shits out bullets like crazy.

F..f..four whole rounds?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Verranicus posted:

It's kinda funny that players watch pros or read posts like that and assume following it to the letter will suddenly make you win.

Or someone insisting that defense heroes are trash when something like a Bastion/Rein combo still murders most qp teams.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Given that A). ults are part of the game and B). ults aren't going to go away when someone at Blizzard has a change of heart and decides to remove them from the game it seems like learning how to anticipate and counterplay enemy ults is probably a necessary skill to develop if you want to get good at this video game instead of tossing off pithy one-liners about "press Q to kill the entire enemy team wow such skill," meanwhile I'm reasonably sure that barring especially hilarious shutdowns most people don't remember all the times that someone went to use their ult only to get killed and waste it, or used it at the wrong time, or used it and someone countered it with something because these things do happen all the time even at the below-average tier I routinely play at, but they will instead be more inclined to remember the time that goddamn Reaper used his loving death blossom to loving kill me with 30 seconds to go goddamnit.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Given that A). ults are part of the game and B). ults aren't going to go away when someone at Blizzard has a change of heart and decides to remove them from the game it seems like learning how to anticipate and counterplay enemy ults is probably a necessary skill to develop if you want to get good at this video game instead of tossing off pithy one-liners about "press Q to kill the entire enemy team wow such skill," meanwhile I'm reasonably sure that barring especially hilarious shutdowns most people don't remember all the times that someone went to use their ult only to get killed and waste it, or used it at the wrong time, or used it and someone countered it with something because these things do happen all the time even at the below-average tier I routinely play at, but they will instead be more inclined to remember the time that goddamn Reaper used his loving death blossom to loving kill me with 30 seconds to go goddamnit.

woah woah woah i'm gonna need you to take 10 to 20% off this concisely articulated adult opinion, here

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Willie Tomg posted:

woah woah woah i'm gonna need you to take 10 to 20% off this concisely articulated adult opinion, here

I was disagreeing with the guy who called you smug/condescending but now I kinda see where he's coming from.

edit: Just because ults aren't going away doesn't mean I/others have to just shrug and say "ha ha well that's the game!" when they're crappy.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Like I don't play Reaper terribly often because while I like murdering the enemy team with impunity it feels like I spend about half the time getting brutally massacred because people in the game have begun to figure out that when you see a gravelly-voiced guy with a skull mask and shotguns that you should shoot him until he dies, and wraithing out to go find health packs all the time means more time my team is basically down a person...I play a lot of Soldier and so it's weird to me to have to adjust to no longer having a self-heal on demand, this is something I should work on because I know Reaper is good...and I cannot recount all the times I thought to myself oh man, this is gonna be a totally sick death blossom and I'll rack up play of the game and singlehandedly turn the tide of the match only to get shut down or gently caress it up because the range is deceptively shorter than you'd think or I do it literally just as Zen or Lucio use their ult in response to something else and whoops, no take-backs. It would genuinely be nice if it really was just as simple as "press Q to slaughter the enemy team" because then I'd be a lot better at it without needing to practice and practice is boring and sucks but them's the breaks.