Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I always wondered if European style politics where your far-right parties operated out in the open was better than what we had. I think I preferred what we used to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Casimir Radon posted:

I always wondered if European style politics where your far-right parties operated out in the open was better than what we had. I think I preferred what we used to have.

To be fair, this is a wounded beast shrieking as it dies

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

radical meme posted:

What if it was Trump vs. Zodiac Killer?

That would be a moral conundrum indeed.

Trump is the person you should vote for here. He will delegate to his VP all serious duties and screw around trying to get a golden chocolate fountain installed in the WH. Ted Cruz would actively work against every decent thing a person could want. He would decree that nobody can use public bathrooms and would carry out a campaign of drone strikes against anyone who looked like they were walking towards one. Even Mike "pay for a funeral for the child you aborted, whore" Pence is better than Ted "the entire senate actually hates me" Cruz.

Scratch that, I think if Ted Cruz won the other branches would refuse to cooperate, so maybe things would be better in that scenario, thankfully we'll probably never know.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also, the whole "if Trump were running for the democrats" is dumb because a white-supremacist nationalist oligarch wouldn't be running for the Democrats in the first place.

Yeah, I'll give Trump this, the guy knew exactly where to go to find and court his natural base of supporters; the rubes that would eat-up his schoolyard bully shtick.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

readingatwork posted:

Imagine if Donald had run as a Democrat with basically the same platform

He would have lost because Republicans are the easily fooled racist myopic idiots, it doesn't play as well with Ds.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also, the whole "if Trump were running for the democrats" is dumb because a white-supremacist nationalist oligarch wouldn't be running for the Democrats in the first place.

I guess it would have to be a timeline in which the Democrats held on to the New Deal coalition by appeasing the southern segregationists or some other Harry Turtledove poo poo. Anyway, any Republicans with any integrity at all are not in a bind, here. They've already lost and they know it and have said so publicly.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Sooo... whether or not he meant it as a call to violence (he absolutely did), what are the odds that one or more of his rabid followers will take it that way? He hasn't exactly tried to discourage them to my knowledge

It's already been mentioned by a few people in this thread, but a person who constantly needs to clarify and restate what they 'really meant' already is not a person who would make a good president regardless of their actual intent. Even if Trump did somehow mean for gun activists to get out and vote on election day (which he didn't since that wouldn't make sense given the lead-up to the statement), debates on what he 'really meant' have been reduced to quite literally quibbling over a comma; a president or a presidential nominee should not ever be the type of person who carelessly makes statements which can be taken in radically different ways based on the existence of a comma.

This is a problem which goes far beyond simply looking sloppy. No matter how much of a crazy isolationist policy you may want to implement, at the end of the day a president is going to need to make statements directed at the leaders and important figures of other countries where translators will be needed. When native speakers of a language have difficulty parsing just what someone is trying to say in their own language, it means that mistakes are bound to be made and even more will be lost in translation even with the best of translators, which can be a diplomatic nightmare.

Actually, I'm pretty curious as to how all the things Trump has already said tend to hold up in translation. Are there any multilingual people in this thread who would be willing to track down a translation of one of Trump's trademark run-on sentences (ex: that one about nuclear power from earlier) and point out any notable ways (if any) in which the content/context of the translation varies from the English version?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

readingatwork posted:

Imagine if Donald had run as a Democrat with basically the same platform and now the election was between the Donald and Jeb Bush. That's kind of what it's like to be a Republican right now. For many he's just better than the alternative, even with all the crazy.

Your just trying to rationalize voting for Trump because your in despair. Just vote libertarian for president but normally for the other offices up for election.

Hillary won't be the end of world, the US or whatever thing you hold dear.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Stereotype posted:

He would have lost because Republicans are the easily fooled racist myopic idiots, it doesn't play as well with Ds.

Not that the D's don't have their own brand of myopic idiots, but you need a different sort of bullshit to pull them out of the woodwork than what Trump's peddling. And unlike the R's and their pet Tea Party, the D brand of idiot extremist (mainly the greens) isn't really legitimized to nearly the same scale at the moment.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

borkencode posted:

So I know we're expecting Trump to drop a C-bomb during the debates, but what if he takes a swing at her?

Clinton wishes this happens. She'd win 50 states in a sweep and the democrats would get control of the senate.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So that murder claim from Assange?

He's now hinting that the murder was deliberately done by Hillary in retribution for the DNC leaks.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I fully expect that before every one of his speeches someone has to remind Donald not to call Hillary a bitch, and some day he will do it anyway.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

remember when we made a heroic movie about this guy

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

holy poo poo this is a broken and wrong statement

Im not endorsing this line of thinking, just explaining it. Rest assured I am well aware that Trump is a narcissistic sociopath and will solve nothing if elected.

Pakled posted:

"This other stuff is good, so I can forgive the racism" is a really easy thing to say when you aren't the target of that racism.

Yes obviously this is a huge part of why his followers don't flee on droves after every speech. That said I think the core of his appeal is economic rather than racial, which makes him deceptively dangerous.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

borkencode posted:

So I know we're expecting Trump to drop a C-bomb during the debates, but what if he takes a swing at her?

I'm expecting Trump to not attend the debates. If Hillary had more Bill in her, she could turn Trump's absense into a nationally televised townhall.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember it doing poo poo at the box office and being slammed by critics.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

If Hillary had more Bill in her, she could turn Trump's absense into a nationally televised townhall.

If Hillary had more Bill in her he never would have been impeached

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gwyEyx5gJ0

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

What's Assange's end game? Is he going to live in the Ecuador Embassy forever? Do they regularly bring him fresh supplies of hookers and blow to make living in his own personal hell acceptable? How the gently caress is this piece of poo poo person even still someone people pay attention to?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Clinton wishes this happens. She'd win 50 states in a sweep and the democrats would get control of the senate.

We already gonna control senate. 50+1 baby, President of the Senate NoVa Tim.

Question is, can Trump put the house in play? With control of the house and senate, you could pass anything during reconcilliation and gently caress republicans good!

God, I can't wait to watch the next Congress take the assfucking Ryan has given them and turn it around. We Democrats may not be innovative when it comes to seizing power, boy can we immitate.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To be fair, this is a wounded beast shrieking as it dies

By this do you mean Trump or the general approach of the Republican Party for the last 50 years? Because I totally agree with the former, but I'm way to cynical and pessimistic to hope for the latter. This is a good election in that it brings to the forefront so many of the hinted-at and alluded-to dogwhistle racist policies the Republicans have pursued for decades, but it feels to me like it'll be a very easy cognitive shift for the Republican Party and base to rationalize it as an embarrassing outlier, and revert to their mean "compassionate conservatism" in the next cycle, and continue to prop up the same bullshit as before. Don't get me wrong, I hope I'm wrong and this leads to as much chaos and disorganization as the Democrats presidential aspirations experienced post-1968, I'm just not holding my breath or anything.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Never take a cigar from Bill Clinton, you just don-t know where its been.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

radical meme posted:

What's Assange's end game? Is he going to live in the Ecuador Embassy forever? Do they regularly bring him fresh supplies of hookers and blow to make living in his own personal hell acceptable? How the gently caress is this piece of poo poo person even still someone people pay attention to?

He was at one point one of the most important people in the world and now lives in a tiny room growing irrelevant. He literally has not had outside contact with the world in years and that is guaranteed to drive a dude nuts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Multiple. 4 films came out about the guy in like a year and a half time period and each and everyone was a failure.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

This is an amazing line of thought. No, given the somehow-worse-than-ours timeline you've described I would vote for Jeb Bush so hard it would make his guacamole bowl spin. A Trump victory or even a close defeat will embolden white supremacists even more than his successful primary campaign has emboldened them and that's no small amount. Plus there's the whole thing of having a literal crazy man in charge of a nuclear superpower's entire arsenal.

Yeah, how is that even a question? I'd pull the lever for Bush in a goddamn second in that scenario (and do it with great regret, but grim determination, for Cruz). Like as terrible as big-standard Republican pols are, they're nowhere near the level of a racist strongman who wants to let fly with the nukes, who calls for his political rivals to be imprisoned or assassinated, who may be a agent of a loving foreign power, who eats pizza with a knife and fork.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Multiple. 4 films came out about the guy in like a year and a half time period and each and everyone was a failure.

Yet not even one movie about Bradley Manning. Who was the real hero here?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

borkencode posted:

Trump is a chickenshit pussy, no way he actually swings at Hillary. He talks big but if push came to shove he'd poo poo his pants in terror.

FuturePastNow posted:

maybe Andy Jackson, though he'd have been willing to do it himself

Mel Mudkiper posted:

pretty sure he actually murdered a dude as prez

No, the crowd pulled Jackson off the guy. Then again, if you're going to try and assassinate Andrew "I let a man shoot me in the chest so I could take my time to aim for his throat" Jackson, you'd sure as poo poo not gently caress it up. Dude tried to shoot Jackson, but his gun misfired, so Jackson proceeded to beat the guy with his cane. At which point the would be assassin pulled out another gun, which also misfired, managing to do nothing but make Andrew Jackson Hulk angry. The wold be assassin spent the rest of his life in an insane asylum. An 1800s insane asylum.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

radical meme posted:

How the gently caress is this piece of poo poo person even still someone people pay attention to?

He is "anti-establishment", so clearly anything bad about him must be a conspiracy to damage his reputation.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Seeric posted:

Actually, I'm pretty curious as to how all the things Trump has already said tend to hold up in translation. Are there any multilingual people in this thread who would be willing to track down a translation of one of Trump's trademark run-on sentences (ex: that one about nuclear power from earlier) and point out any notable ways (if any) in which the content/context of the translation varies from the English version?
I read about his comments in Japanese news sometimes and I don't think there's anything of note about the translation other than that they translate him speaking very casually and not politician-like, which makes sense. The news here doesn't spend much time on his individual gaffes though.

Here's a short Yomiuri article about the Russia hacking Clinton line.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just had a bit of an introspective rabbithole that ended with the thought: "What does the modern Secret Service do in a Bud Dwyer situation?"

Edit: Holy poo poo watch the old man with the beard in this video:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

borkencode posted:

He would miss wildly with his tiny hands.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trump v. Hillary debate might be Duel of the Fates-level retarded good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Because I totally agree with the former, but I'm way to cynical and pessimistic to hope for the latter.

White people don't gently caress enough to keep the Republicans in power, and this is as gerrymandered as they can get. It's about 20 years before Texas is blue, and then they are loving donezo. If you aren't very very old you'll probably live to see the death of the party, and even if you are you might still live to see it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Eifert Posting posted:

I just had a bit of an introspective rabbithole that ended with the thought: "What does the modern Secret Service do in a Bud Dwyer situation?"

Edit: Holy poo poo watch the old man with the beard in this video:

I'm the young guy in the red shirt right beneath him who immediately pulls out his phone to tweet about it.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Rudy Giuliani has defended Trump's statements by saying that he said something different from what he said and totally misrepresenting the situation. Shocking.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Also, holy poo poo

quote:

Since the two parties held their nominating conventions, Mr. Trump’s lead over Mrs. Clinton with Republican women voters has declined by 13 percentage points, according to polls conducted by The New York Times and CBS News.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/u...WT.nav=top-news

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

berserker posted:

Rudy Giuliani has defended Trump's statements by saying that he said something different from what he said and totally misrepresenting the situation. Shocking.

We're all pretty lucky that nobody gives a gently caress what Giuliani thinks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Remember how Giuliani was a wildly unpopular mayor on the way to disgrace before 9/11

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Trump v. Hillary debate might be Duel of the Fates-level retarded good.

Wait, that's not exactly a good thing. Is Hillary qui-gon Jin or obi-wan . If she's the former, she gets stabbed. If she's the latter , her protégé will basically bring about the end of the republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Remember how Giuliani was a wildly unpopular mayor on the way to disgrace before 9/11

I do and I remember his immensely poo poo presidential run that reminded everyone of his complete waste as a man.

• Locked thread