Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:gay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Wait, that's not exactly a good thing. Is Hillary qui-gon Jin or obi-wan . If she's the former, she gets stabbed. If she's the latter , her protégé will basically bring about the end of the republic.

She's the pit that consumes the defeated.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He was at one point one of the most important people in the world and now lives in a tiny room growing irrelevant. He literally has not had outside contact with the world in years and that is guaranteed to drive a dude nuts.

The worst part is that I don't think the US had any intention of extraditing him from Sweden. He's there solely to get out of a rape charge that probably wouldn't stick.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

caleramaen posted:

The worst part is that I don't think the US had any intention of extraditing him from Sweden. He's there solely to get out of a rape charge that probably wouldn't stick.

I like the implication that Hillary Clinton can kill anyone who crosses her but she is somehow unable to do anything to a guy living in an office in an Ecuadorian embassy

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hey, you don't gently caress with the Ecuadorians. If you do they might.... I mean they could... Dammit I'll think of something!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

So i.may have missed it but I'm assuming the assassination calls have overshadowed the Pulse shooter father showing up at Clinton's rally today?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Wonder what Trump will say next. I got a dollar on explicitly nuking a major Muslim city.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

sheri posted:

So i.may have missed it but I'm assuming the assassination calls have overshadowed the Pulse shooter father showing up at Clinton's rally today?

ayup

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
why should we care about the pulse shooter's dad showing up at a rally? who gives a poo poo

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

DemeaninDemon posted:

Wonder what Trump will say next. I got a dollar on explicitly nuking a major Muslim city.

Picks a fight with the US Women's Gymnastics team.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

sheri posted:

It got some media coverage, but there's not really much to the story unless you're living in the right-wing fever swamp.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

sheri posted:

So what if he did? He's a private citizen who showed up to an open event. You're implying he was invited or something.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
thread title gets ever better as trump does worse

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Crows Turn Off posted:

So what if he did? He's a private citizen who showed up to an open event. You're implying he was invited or something.

I don't think that poster was implying that at all :shobon: But yes, it has been overshadowed, and yes it was dumb that it could even possibly have been an issue

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Double or nothing it's not an actual Muslim city, just one he thinks is Muslim, Agrobah or someplace.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I like the implication that Hillary Clinton can kill anyone who crosses her but she is somehow unable to do anything to a guy living in an office in an Ecuadorian embassy

So Assange is implying he was a whistle-blower and was killed for it, thus deterring future whistle-blowers and undermining Wikileaks, just to poo poo on Clinton. Do tell us more about your righteous crusade, Julian :allears:

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Based on Trumps apparent personality disorder, everyone telling him his remarks were wrong will cause him to double down since, you know, he can't ever be wrong. Going forward I would expect him to revisit the idea that if he loses, then the election was rigged, therefore violence is justified. He won't openly call for targeted killings, just point out that it would be a legit response to the election being "stolen".

I would like to point out for the benefit of anyone tracking Something Awful, that I in no way advocate or condone violence against any politician or individual, and that I an simply going over the musings of the Republican loving candidate for president.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Based on Trumps apparent personality disorder, everyone telling him his remarks were wrong will cause him to double down since, you know, he can't ever be wrong. Going forward I would expect him to revisit the idea that if he loses, then the election was rigged, therefore violence is justified. He won't openly call for targeted killings, just point out that it would be a legit response to the election being "stolen".

I would like to point out for the benefit of anyone tracking Something Awful, that I in no way advocate or condone violence against any politician or individual, and that I an simply going over the musings of the Republican loving candidate for president.

Yeah its a bad day to be FBI: Cyber

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

caleramaen posted:

Note that Swedish law requires a public warrant announcement and mandates appeals trials be available to a potential deportee before they even hold someone for extradition, let alone actually extradite them. Which is why we know his fears are bullshit, as the US never even issued a warrant or even indicted him.

Some people will try to counter by saying there was actually a secret warrant or whatever, but a) the Swedes wouldn't accept that as valid and b) that would basically imply him being so wanted that he would have been pulled off the street in the UK before he could hit up the Ecuadorian embassy.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stereotype posted:

I fully expect that before every one of his speeches someone has to remind Donald not to call Hillary a bitch, and some day he will do it anyway.

That's not how Trump rolls. What's more likely to happen is that Hillary will say something and Trump will react to in some patronizing way on the stump, mimicking what she said, and then ad-libbing something like "this is why even her own supporters think she's bitchy." And just like that, we'll all be able to check off the "Trump called Hillary a bitch" box on our news cycle bingo cards.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

DemeaninDemon posted:

poo poo talks a Muslim Olympian.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
here's something that might catch a bit of media time over the next day or two:

quote:

WASHINGTON—A conservative watchdog group on Tuesday released 296 pages of emails from former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s personal server, including many exchanges that weren’t handed over to the government as part of the Democratic nominee’s archive.

The new emails, released by the group Judicial Watch, offer fresh examples of how top Clinton Foundation officials sought access to the State Department during Mrs. Clinton’s tenure. The documents were obtained through a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit filed by Judicial Watch against the State Department.

A spokesman for the Clinton Foundation, a nonprofit organization established by former President Bill Clinton, didn’t immediately return requests for comment. Mrs. Clinton had attached her name to the foundation after she left the U.S. government and subsequently removed it when she started her presidential campaign.

In an exchange from April 2009, a longtime aide to Mr. Clinton told three of Mrs. Clinton’s top advisers that it was “important to take care of” a particular person, whose name has been redacted from the document. That person had written the aide, Doug Band, under the subject line “A favor…” to thank him for the “opportunity to go on the Haiti trip,” which the person called “eye-opening.” Mr. Band was a chief adviser in helping Mr. Clinton launch the Clinton Foundation after leaving the White House.

Huma Abedin, a longtime confidante of Mrs. Clinton who is now working for her campaign, replied to Mr. Band: “We have all had him on our radar. Personnel has been sending him options.” Mr. Band responded: “Great.” Mr. Band was an important figure in helping Mr. Clinton set up his postpresidential career and has since co-founded a New York company called Teneo Holdings.

While at the State Department, Ms. Abedin received a special designation that allowed her to work at the agency while also doing outside work. During that period, she held two other positions, at the Clinton Foundation and at Teneo.

Mr. Band and Ms. Abedin didn’t return requests for comment made through Mrs. Clinton’s campaign.

In a separate exchange, Mr. Band asked Ms. Abedin and Cheryl Mills, another top aide to Mrs. Clinton, to set up a meeting between a State Department official and a top donor to the Clinton Foundation.

“We need Gilbert Chagoury to speak to the substance person re Lebanon,” Mr. Band wrote in April 2009. “As you know, he’s key guy there and to us and is loved in Lebanon. Very imp.”

Mr. Chagoury, a Lebanese-Nigerian billionaire, has donated between $1 million and $5 million to the foundation, according to its disclosures.

Ms. Abedin responded with the name of the State Department official, Jeff Feltman, who had served as a U.S. ambassador to Lebanon before becoming U.S. assistant secretary of state for Near Eastern Affairs. “I’m sure he knows him,” she wrote. “I’ll talk to Jeff.”

Fifteen minutes later, Mr. Band shot back: “Better if you call him. Now preferable. This is very important.”

A spokesman for Mrs. Clinton’s campaign said in a statement: “Neither of these emails involve the Secretary or relate to the Foundation’s work. They are communications between her aides and the President’s personal aide, and indeed the recommendation was for one of the Secretary’s former staffers who was not employed by the Foundation.”

Mr. Chagoury, who has longstanding ties to the Clintons, has a controversial past. In the mid-1990s, he was known for his close association with Nigeria’s military dictator, Sani Abacha, which helped him land lucrative business contracts in construction and other areas. In 2003, Mr. Chagoury helped organized a Caribbean trip where Mr. Clinton was paid $100,000 for a speech. Both Mr. Chagoury and Mr. Clinton attended Mr. Band’s wedding celebration in France in 2007, the Journal reported at the time.

The Nigerian embassy in Washington didn’t immediately respond to inquiries about Mr. Chagoury.

The latest emails provided further fodder for Republicans who have been critical of Mrs. Clinton’s ties to her family’s foundation during her time at the State Department. While Mrs. Clinton is no longer involved with the foundation, her husband and daughter, Chelsea, continue to attend the foundation’s events. Mr. Clinton said in June that he would have to rethink his role at the foundation and its fundraising if his wife is elected president in November.

“That the Clinton Foundation was calling in favors barely 3 months into Hillary Clinton’s tenure at the State Department is deeply troubling, and it is yet another reminder of the conflicts of interest and unethical wheeling and dealing she’d bring to the White House,” said Michael Short, a spokesman for the Republican National Committee, in a statement Tuesday.

The emails also served as a reminder of the Clinton campaign’s struggle to shake the email controversy. Mrs. Clinton had her private server set up about a week before she was sworn in as secretary of state. She later said she used the private account because it was more convenient than keeping separate personal and official email addresses.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch said last month she would close the investigation into Mrs. Clinton’s handling of classified information while she was secretary of state, officially ending the yearlong legal drama that had plagued the Democrat’s campaign.

But the issue resurfaced last week when fact-checkers and critics disputed Mrs. Clinton’s claims that Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey had characterized her answers, both in public and private, on the issue as “truthful.”

Mr. Comey has said she didn’t lie to investigators; he declined to characterize her public comments. Later that week, she said she had perhaps “short-circuited” her response, since her public remarks echoed her testimony to the FBI.

Republican nominee Donald Trump criticized her comment, tweeting that “anybody whose mind ‘SHORT CIRCUITS’ is not fit to be our president!” In a second tweet, he added: “Very dangerous!”
http://www.wsj.com/articles/newly-released-emails-highlight-clinton-foundations-ties-to-state-department-1470785910

I'm guessing there's nothing illegal about this, but tmyk

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That sounds like pretty normal foundation fundraising VIP brown nosing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It'll be like the last "scandalous reveal" that ended up being just a bunch of FOIA documents, aka a big fat nothingburger except within the circles of total lunatics.

Remember that when sources like the WSJ use "connected to" they mean stuff like "Hillary sent them an e-mail 30 years ago" but don't want to say that because then their whole whipped up narrative falls apart, like the Lafarage = ISIS funding connections confirmed thing

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When these things device into a list of weird European names and relationships between people and organizations my eyes just glaze over and I want to fall asleep. It's like reading the loving Bible.

Also I love the implication that something Clinton was trying to hide was in here because she didn't turn them over from her server, ignoring the fact they have these emails anyway from the state department.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's been a bunch of "she wouldn't turn over these e-mails to us, but we got them anyway!" dumps where it turns out it was just a bunch of boring, useless office gossip

I guess it never occurred to them that she may be refusing to release things because she loathes them and wants them to work for weeks to gain nothing, and not because there's a bunch of secret stuff hidden there

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
loving hell, I'm gonna laugh so hard when our generation starts running for president. "Mr. Smith, in an email from 2015 you responded with an animated GIF of a bendy-armed cartoon character spelling out the words "Go gently caress Yourself". Furthermore, on several occasions throughout 2010-2020 you requested that various persons with whom you were communicating "suck your dick from the back". Would you care to explain these occurrences?" "Uh...welcome to the internet?"

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, it really just sounds like they're the type of people who are likely to be on the State Department's radar anyways. Would anyone be batting an eye at the State Department wanting to talk to a famous Lebanese businessman about a situation in Lebanon if he hadn't donated to the Foundation?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheKennedys posted:

loving hell, I'm gonna laugh so hard when our generation starts running for president. "Mr. Smith, in an email from 2015 you responded with an animated GIF of a bendy-armed cartoon character spelling out the words "Go gently caress Yourself". Furthermore, on several occasions throughout 2010-2020 you requested that various persons with whom you were communicating "suck your dick from the back". Would you care to explain these occurrences?" "Uh...welcome to the internet?"

Choom Gang.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Here's my Paul Ryan headline:

"Chump Can't Dump Trump"

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Anchor Wanker posted:

poo poo talks a Muslim Olympian.

Wasn't Trump but I saw an article whining about something the US muslim fencer said, so this is totally plausible.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My poor sister in law is terrified by this election because she's absolutely sure Trump has a silent majority that will turn out for him. I tried to convince her otherwise and help her relax, but she's too frightened to believe me. She insists he'll piggyback on the downticket GOTV efforts and somehow steal victory without a campaign apparatus. I have no idea how to explain to her how insane that would be.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

why should we care about the pulse shooter's dad showing up at a rally? who gives a poo poo

Well you see terrorism is genetically passed from father to child

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm sure many people are actually angry and surprised that "Father of dead murderer quietly attends candidate speech" is being overshadowed by "Candidate publically suggests murder to circumvent democracy."

drat media!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheKennedys posted:

loving hell, I'm gonna laugh so hard when our generation starts running for president.
Everyone's gonna have so much poo poo on them that most things will be the equivalent of "Got a blowjob/Used as cigar as a dildo, so loving what who gives a poo poo"

"Sir, on the night of XX.Yy, did you not in fact post a "Fur/Gemsona hybrid known as Basalt the Turbochidna"

"Did you or did you not, Miss, participate in an online Second Life grief campaign known as 'The Night of the Long Dongs'?"

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Night10194 posted:

My poor sister in law is terrified by this election because she's absolutely sure Trump has a silent majority that will turn out for him. I tried to convince her otherwise and help her relax, but she's too frightened to believe me. She insists he'll piggyback on the downticket GOTV efforts and somehow steal victory without a campaign apparatus. I have no idea how to explain to her how insane that would be.

Here's what I don't get about the "silent majority" thing. Polls are anonymous. It's not like when someone calls you to ask poll questions that there's anyone standing there watching you and judging your answers. The pollsters don't get your name, only demographics statistics. No one knows who it is who is saying they support Clinton or Trump. So in that scenario, why would anyone have any reason to lie about how they truly feel and so throw off a poll? And how likely could it possibly be that this happens consistently over all polls?

The silent majority doesn't exist.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

thread title gets ever better as trump does worse

Right now I read it the same as "please clap."

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Does she live in an area of mostly white people? I could see believing that living in hell County but remind her that the rest of the country has different people living in it who aren't loving nuts or nihilists

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

berserker posted:

Here's what I don't get about the "silent majority" thing. Polls are anonymous. It's not like when someone calls you to ask poll questions that there's anyone standing there watching you and judging your answers. The pollsters don't get your name, only demographics statistics. No one knows who it is who is saying they support Clinton or Trump. So in that scenario, why would anyone have any reason to lie about how they truly feel and so throw off a poll? And how likely could it possibly be that this happens consistently over all polls?

The silent majority doesn't exist.

The original silent majority were the people who didn't make a huge ruckus on the news (like the hippies et all) but voted in such large numbers that their policies got put into place.

The closest parallel these days are Hillary supporters in the primary, who weren't loud but still had impressive turnout, and eventually won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

emdash posted:

here's something that might catch a bit of media time over the next day or two:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/newly-released-emails-highlight-clinton-foundations-ties-to-state-department-1470785910

I'm guessing there's nothing illegal about this, but tmyk

I know a lot about the e-mail controversy and about the Clinton Foundation conspiracy theories, and even I can't parse what's supposed to be scandalous about these exchanges.

I guess there's some e-mails Hillary didn't hand over.. but the government had them anyway since they involved people who were using the official e-mail systems.. but this is a scandal because the government should definitely also have a second copy from Hillary's server as well..

So sound the alarms, Hillary didn't hand over e-mails to the government that the government was already in possession of like she was supposed to.

Let's go over and look at what's going on with Donald Tru.. oh, calls for violence? Well.. you know both sides are terrible...

• Locked thread