Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Who would want to buy Chekov's gross fake ear? It's the worst effect in TWoK, maybe even the worst effect in any TOS movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Mortanis posted:

Also, I've started a full rewatch of all trek and am almost done with S1 of ENT for the first time since it originally aired. I don't get the hate. It's aggressively bland and isn't trying new things at ALL

After 7 years of Voyager, this was reason enough. Time and distance has dulled these emotions, and when I eventually get around to trying to rewatch ENT again I'm sure I'll be less irritated by the consistent letdown of each episode too

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I think it's easy to nitpick First Contact because time travel plot, and I agree that sexy robot lady has some issues, but I think a lot of these questions you guys and the RLM people posed have pretty easy answers/handwaves.

The time travel device was in the little sphere because it was a backup plan or because it couldn't take the whole cube for some reason and they didn't go back in time somewhere else and travel to Earth in the past because they didn't have the range for it (I know VOY suggested those spheres were transwarp capable, but there's no evidence for that in First Contact) or, again, past assimilation was just a backup plan.

As for why they don't do time travel more, I think it's because the moment they leave their time frame they're cut off from the collective and lost in the galaxy, which is probably why they had the Queen with them. Or they have the same foibles about it the Federation does. I don't know, time travel is stupid and it's probably a good thing the Voyager Borg weren't using it.

As for why they didn't go to any other time period, I don't think the point was actually to assimilate Earth in that time frame, but rather to disrupt the formation of the Federation so that they could assimilate it later. Note that they never landed on the planet and were more focused on assimilating the advanced tech of the Enterprise than lovely post-nuclear humans. This also explains why they didn't just vaporize half of Montana. They wanted humanity and the other Federation species to keep advancing. Hell, they probably wanted the Warp tests to still happen, but on their terms and in a way that they were fairly sure would result in no Federation and an Earth too weak to resist them later.

Yeah, most of this could have been better explained (and a lot of it's just my supposition), but it was trying first and foremost to be a big flashy space movie they didn't have time for the typical 15 minute conference room scene explaining everything.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Who would want to buy Chekov's gross fake ear? It's the worst effect in TWoK, maybe even the worst effect in any TOS movie.

Conversation piece.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MorgaineDax posted:

Conversation piece.

I would absolutely hang that in my office with no indication as to what the Hell it's supposed to be.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I would absolutely hang that in my office with no indication as to what the Hell it's supposed to be.

Clearly it's a trophy taken from a giant you have slain.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MorgaineDax posted:

Conversation piece.

Conversations like "Please take that down, I'm going to throw up."

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

My head-cannon was always that the Queen (in First Contact, anyway) was supposed to be an embodiment of the collective in individual form. Like some sort of experiment in creating an individual form for the hive mind that ran concurrent with the Locutus episode.

Then Voyager kind of hosed with that by having her give verbal orders to drones implying she was just some sort of big boss woman Borg.

It just highlighted the problem with the Collective, turns out billions of minds linked together are kinda stupid, communicate poorly/slowly and can be outsmarted by just about any random Starfleet officer.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

After 7 years of Voyager, this was reason enough. Time and distance has dulled these emotions, and when I eventually get around to trying to rewatch ENT again I'm sure I'll be less irritated by the consistent letdown of each episode too

Yeah, if they had done Enterprise instead of Voyager, it probably would have been received substantially better. Of course, my understanding is that seasons 3 and 4 were as good as they were because the producers finally got desperate enough to start venturing outside of their comfort zone, so an alternate timeline where Voyager is replaced by Enterprise might have a weaker Enterprise series because it didn't tank so hard in ratings.

Voyager poisoned the well hard. It was seven years of mediocrity, of totally failing to do anything substantial with the premise, and endless technobullshit solutions to technobullshit problems. Naren Shankar claims that the TNG writing staff made or received something akin to a technobabble Mad Libs as a gag, they had a laugh about it, and when he went back to visit the Voyager staff years later he found they were cheerfully using the Treknobabble generator to literally write dialogue for the episodes. The finale really was peak Voyager, so anyone who found the series' faults annoying or offensive was really pissed off by the way the ending was handled.

Now Enterprise is coming along, and the producers are swearing up and down "oh, this series is gonna be totally different, it's going to be so different that we're not even putting Star Trek in the main title, we're really taking it back and changing it up," annnnnd first episode has Klingons, phasers phase pistols with stun settings, the transporter being used on a person and to whisk the captain out of harm's way. The producers had talked a big bunch of bullshit and then totally failed to deliver, again. I quit right after the first episode. I was done, I already knew it was going to be more of the same crap I was already tired of, so I walked away and didn't come back. I only started skimming episodes a year or two ago, well over ten years after the series had aired, and I have zero regrets about not giving that series a second chance when it was still airing.

'Aggressively bland and not trying new things' is exactly what Enterprise desperately needed to not do. They really needed to not do the same old poo poo again and again, and they couldn't help themselves, and they deserved to fall on their face for it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Paramount did a massive prop auction several years ago, basically getting rid of everything they had in their basement.

That's how Alec Peters got all that poo poo for Axanar.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It really was a truly massive sale, to the point that there's a 85% chance that any random page on Memory Alpha will have a note about this or that being sold in it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Trials and Tribbilations is incredibly well done and fantastic and good.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, if they had done Enterprise instead of Voyager, it probably would have been received substantially better. Of course, my understanding is that seasons 3 and 4 were as good as they were because the producers finally got desperate enough to start venturing outside of their comfort zone, so an alternate timeline where Voyager is replaced by Enterprise might have a weaker Enterprise series because it didn't tank so hard in ratings.

Voyager poisoned the well hard. It was seven years of mediocrity, of totally failing to do anything substantial with the premise, and endless technobullshit solutions to technobullshit problems. Naren Shankar claims that the TNG writing staff made or received something akin to a technobabble Mad Libs as a gag, they had a laugh about it, and when he went back to visit the Voyager staff years later he found they were cheerfully using the Treknobabble generator to literally write dialogue for the episodes. The finale really was peak Voyager, so anyone who found the series' faults annoying or offensive was really pissed off by the way the ending was handled.

Now Enterprise is coming along, and the producers are swearing up and down "oh, this series is gonna be totally different, it's going to be so different that we're not even putting Star Trek in the main title, we're really taking it back and changing it up," annnnnd first episode has Klingons, phasers phase pistols with stun settings, the transporter being used on a person and to whisk the captain out of harm's way. The producers had talked a big bunch of bullshit and then totally failed to deliver, again. I quit right after the first episode. I was done, I already knew it was going to be more of the same crap I was already tired of, so I walked away and didn't come back. I only started skimming episodes a year or two ago, well over ten years after the series had aired, and I have zero regrets about not giving that series a second chance when it was still airing.

'Aggressively bland and not trying new things' is exactly what Enterprise desperately needed to not do. They really needed to not do the same old poo poo again and again, and they couldn't help themselves, and they deserved to fall on their face for it.

It's funny now reading stuff like this and thinking back to all the clowns who were so certain that the quality would pick up and the show would suddenly be awesome back in 2001. I can remember one of the main detractors making a thread declaring the show so creatively bankrupt that they'd resort to doing a Borg episode by the second season, followed by 11 pages of "fans" making GBS threads on him.

I was just a teenager but I think I stuck around till midway through season 3 when the show was broadcast, but once they got to the loving "phase" pistols in the pilot I knew this show wasn't serious about doing anything good and I think I only coasted as far as I did because it was Star Trek. Enterprise was really the final lesson for me about quality in entertainment: don't loving stick around just because the brand used to be good.

e: I also remember how the lady who played T'Pol was the only cast member to openly criticize the show while it was on, because she was a fan and because she probably figured they wouldn't fire the eye candy they thought everybody was tuning in to see

Timby posted:

Paramount did a massive prop auction several years ago, basically getting rid of everything they had in their basement.

That's how Alec Peters got all that poo poo for Axanar.

Man, gently caress that guy.

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 10, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

It really was a truly massive sale, to the point that there's a 85% chance that any random page on Memory Alpha will have a note about this or that being sold in it.

Right. Like, they weren't just selling off makeup pieces and uniforms and props -- they were auctioning off pieces from the bridge sets (that hadn't yet been destroyed), carpeting, some miniatures ... like I said, basically everything that was in the basement, because Paramount considered Trek dead and buried at that point. I think they had Christie's administer it, and that jackwagon Peters bought up so much poo poo, which he then used to found his company Propworx (which he now pimps out as the only legitimate authority for determining whether a piece of Trek merchandise / memorabilia / whatever is authentic).

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Was Peters just a rich rear end in a top hat fan to begin with or something?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I have to assume that Paul Allen grabbed a bunch of the rest, as 75% of the stuff at the Sci-Fi museum in Seattle over the last 10 years has his name on it and the new Star Trek exhibit I went to last week was basically entirely his.

All told, the exhibit was a bit underwhelming. Very cool to see the stuff up close, but not nearly as much as the Star Wars or BSG exhibits. It's amazing how much of the stuff is really really low quality that somehow looks like magic on screen. Half the phasers were wood and the Borg outfits are like 33% velcro by volume. I have no idea if the hanging ships were the actual production models or not, but the 6 foot Enterprise D looked like someone stubbed out cigars on one side of it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ogmius815 posted:

I want to like TAS, but I just can't get past how bad some of the voice acting is. Pretty much all non-main characters are crap.

Pretty much 90% of all the male voices that weren't the Enterprise crew were done by James Doohan. Majel Barrett and Nichelle Nichols platooned for most of the female voices.

Takei did some of the other voices, and Filmation staff did a lot of the rest.

Shatner, of course only played himself.

Basically Arex was Scotty minus the brogue/accent and with a bad nasal drip.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mortanis posted:

I have to assume that Paul Allen grabbed a bunch of the rest, as 75% of the stuff at the Sci-Fi museum in Seattle over the last 10 years has his name on it and the new Star Trek exhibit I went to last week was basically entirely his.

All told, the exhibit was a bit underwhelming. Very cool to see the stuff up close, but not nearly as much as the Star Wars or BSG exhibits. It's amazing how much of the stuff is really really low quality that somehow looks like magic on screen. Half the phasers were wood and the Borg outfits are like 33% velcro by volume. I have no idea if the hanging ships were the actual production models or not, but the 6 foot Enterprise D looked like someone stubbed out cigars on one side of it.

The 6 footer got beat the gently caress up. I guess it had spent some time suspended above some loving restaurant kitchen after Generations?

Keep in mind that not all props are created equal. Some props are "hero" props designed to look good even in close-ups, while most are meant to just look mostly right at a distance.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

'they aren't phasers, they're phase cannons'
'they aren't photon torpedoes, they're photonic torpedos'

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Go over and post all that on the star trek reddit. I said that Enterprise ended up lame because everything was literally the same and some sperg piped up with "yeah but the hull plating works by a completely different concept to shields."

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Cojawfee posted:

Go over and post all that on the star trek reddit. I said that Enterprise ended up lame because everything was literally the same and some sperg piped up with "yeah but the hull plating works by a completely different concept to shields."

Polarization at 87%!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

Was Peters just a rich rear end in a top hat fan to begin with or something?

Pretty much.

The 6 footer got beat the gently caress up. I guess it had spent some time suspended above some loving restaurant kitchen after Generations?

They also had to do a massive restoration job just to make it usable for Generations, because it had literally been left to rot after it was hauled out for the saucer separation in Best of Both Worlds (the 4-footer, in addition to having a saucer that looked like a pregnant manta ray with aztecing and hull detailing that seems to have been applied by a blind man with Parkinson's, couldn't separate). Almost all of the internal lighting in the six-footer had frayed and was unusable, the paint job was faded and corrupted, the model itself had been beat to hell during various transports between studios, and that's where yet another huge chunk of Generations' budget went -- something like nearly $1 million went to getting the thing fixed.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 10, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

in addition to having a saucer that looked like a pregnant manta ray with aztecing and hull detailing that seems to have been applied by a blind man with Parkinson's

You forgot shape of the deflector and pylons.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

You forgot shape of the deflector and pylons.

But at least it finally showed the Ten-Forward windows. :shobon:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I still don't know why they didn't use Probert's lounge spots. They had an advantage in that you could've just moved the walls in to make a 'different' lounge.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Conversations like "Please take that down, I'm going to throw up."

Chekov's ear is making me dizzy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fister Roboto posted:

Chekov's ear is making me dizzy.

If you have Chekov's ear hanging in your office you have to kill someone with it by the end of the day though, it's a pain.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

They also had to do a massive restoration job just to make it usable for Generations, because it had literally been left to rot after it was hauled out for the saucer separation in Best of Both Worlds (the 4-footer, in addition to having a saucer that looked like a pregnant manta ray with aztecing and hull detailing that seems to have been applied by a blind man with Parkinson's, couldn't separate). Almost all of the internal lighting in the six-footer had frayed and was unusable, the paint job was faded and corrupted, the model itself had been beat to hell during various transports between studios, and that's where yet another huge chunk of Generations' budget went -- something like nearly $1 million went to getting the thing fixed.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know that. That's a pretty sizable chunk of the movie's budget right there. Did they ever have to spend that kind of money on refurbing the eight-foot refit/A model?

EDIT: I mean, I know it had to get completely repainted at least once or twice, but I don't know what paint jobs cost as compared to structural repairs or rewiring.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 10, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Although, even by third season, the model was starting to show signs of wear. There's some massive light leakage going on in Booby Trap:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

If you have Chekov's ear hanging in your office you have to kill someone with it by the end of the day though, it's a pain.

You know what? I just realized that in Star Trek 4, Checkov's gun failed to fire.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know that. That's a pretty sizable chunk of the movie's budget right there. Did they ever have to spend that kind of money on refurbing the eight-foot refit/A model?

EDIT: I mean, I know it had to get completely repainted at least once or twice, but I don't know what paint jobs cost as compared to structural repairs or rewiring.

Memory Alpha is mostly about in-universe stuff, but the articles on the various shooting models are surprisingly in-depth, particularly for the ones that had starring roles like the Constitution and Galaxy classes.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Studio_models

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Although, even by third season, the model was starting to show signs of wear. There's some massive light leakage going on in Booby Trap:

Was that a unique shot for Booby Trap?

It just feels like a stock angle that they would have taken early in the run dressed up with a new background.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
In the opening credits, the last shot of the ship has similar leaking around the shuttlebay doors. Maybe they were intended to open?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

remusclaw posted:

You know what? I just realized that in Star Trek 4, Checkov's gun failed to fire.

Whoah.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

Was that a unique shot for Booby Trap?

It just feels like a stock angle that they would have taken early in the run dressed up with a new background.

I'm pretty sure it was unique based on the way the ship moved. It wasn't just a standard "ship moving away" pass.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

All new effects from S3 on (BoBW excepted) were with the four-foot model they constructed between 2 and 3, so that would've been brand new.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This is old but seems to bear constant repeating:

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't skip anything you weak rear end babies.

:colbert:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Having sorta met some of the Voyager actors and finding out that they are delightful, charming, and cool people first hand, I want to give that show another chance. I haven't watched it since maybe the second to last season aired something like 20 years ago... Is there a recommended list of episodes to watch or avoid? As a busy and important 30-something I don't have time for countless hours of listless, boring, irrelevant, dated tv melodrama.

Ugh, I haven't even started yet but I'm remembering Janeway's bizarrely inconsistent characterization, Chakotey looking checked the gently caress out like a robot despite being a terrorist, Tuvok scowling, Harry Kim staring vacantly, aggressively unfunny and cloying Neelix gags. I don't know if I can go through with this.

E: yeah right don't skip anything doesn't apply to loving Voyager

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Misery loves company!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm pretty sure it was unique based on the way the ship moved. It wasn't just a standard "ship moving away" pass.
It seems like it'd have to be a unique shot because the nacelle lights are off. I think the nacelle lights and window lights are normally part of the same lighting pass.

Fake edit: They're not, but the impulse engine is: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/File:Galaxy_class_six_foot_model_lighting_passes.jpg That's for the six-foot but I assume it'd be the same.