Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
This is hilarious
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=460_1470473770

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

https://fat.gfycat.com/BreakablePaltryAdmiralbutterfly.mp4

*pop*

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

^^^ What the hell?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Locator posted:

^^^ What the hell?

99% sure brake overheated the wheel and the tire exploded. The black poo poo would be brake dust and rubber.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Seems like that would damage the fender.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Well there wasn't any fire or anything else when it happened. Not too much else to go boom like that.

Also that sheet metal isn't that thick, so in theory an exploding tire could do that damage.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ghost of Dale Earnhardt strikes!

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

loving trackside IEDs, man.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Update on exploding car: team says the caliper broke and was grinding the wheel. The explosion was indeed the tire going boom. Nascar released the car back to the team.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iwentdoodie posted:

Well there wasn't any fire or anything else when it happened. Not too much else to go boom like that.

Also that sheet metal isn't that thick, so in theory an exploding tire could do that damage.

Not even metal, NASCAR runs fairly thin fiberglass bodies, no wheel wells afaik.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

iwentdoodie posted:

Update on exploding car: team says the caliper broke and was grinding the wheel. The explosion was indeed the tire going boom. Nascar released the car back to the team.
Do race tires not have fuse plugs or safety valves, or did it just not work? I am thinking of airliners, which heat their brakes well past red hot during aborted takeoffs, but have plugs that release the pressure before the tires blow. As in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g6UswiRCF0

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Nope, car/motorcycle tires do not have that feature.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Enourmo posted:

Not even metal, NASCAR runs fairly thin fiberglass bodies, no wheel wells afaik.

Unless it changed for this year, only the hood and deck lid are composite. Most other body panels are sheet metal, per the newest rules. Theres a reason that bashing your hip into the rear fenders for aero dents is still a thing, and it's not something that's possible with a composite.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Nope, car/motorcycle tires do not have that feature.

And it probably wouldn't have helped if the caliper was dragging on the tire and eating away the rubber.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ola posted:

And it probably wouldn't have helped if the caliper was dragging on the tire and eating away the rubber.

My understanding is that the caliper was dragging on the wheel and that the heat did the tire in.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

If you've ever wondered what an EXTERNAL Combustion engine would look like

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Johnny Aztec posted:

If you've ever wondered what an EXTERNAL Combustion engine would look like

?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Stolen from Facebook to stop you guys from rambling on about DPF and regen poo poo forever...

To be fair:

Speaking of which:

nhtsa posted:

SUMMARY:
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2011 Buick Regal vehicles manufactured November 3, 2009, to March 25, 2011, equipped with 8-way power adjustable front seats. The power seat wiring harness may contact the seat frame, causing the wires to chafe.
CONSEQUENCE:
Chafed harness wires may cause a short circuit, increasing the risk of a fire.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V517

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

This sounds like an unlikely scenario causing an unlikely scenario resulting in an even less likely event. Good on them for recognising the problem. They're just gonna ziptie and sleeve the wires though, aren't they? :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

This sounds like an unlikely scenario causing an unlikely scenario resulting in an even less likely event. Good on them for recognising the problem. They're just gonna ziptie and sleeve the wires though, aren't they? :)

They'll probably source the OE-quality zipties from Chrysler.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

This sounds like an unlikely scenario causing an unlikely scenario resulting in an even less likely event. Good on them for recognising the problem. They're just gonna ziptie and sleeve the wires though, aren't they?

These chains of unlikely events are responsible for some of the worst disasters See: Lac-Megantic. Only difference is here, they've identified a problem and are actively taking steps to prevent it from happening/again.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

long as the conductor isn't already nicked, there's no real problem with that fix.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MrYenko posted:

They'll probably source the OE-quality zipties from Chrysler.

No way. They need those for 200 interiors.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Jonny 290 posted:

No way. They need those for 200 interiors.

You wish the 200's interiors were held together by zip ties. That's high quality Chrysler hopes and bubble gum on those things.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Veeb0rg posted:

You wish the 200's interiors were held together by zip ties. That's high quality Chrysler hopes and bubble gum on those things.

I had a 30,000mi 200 as a rental car 2 weeks ago. When I returned it and pointed out everything wrong, the enterprise guy said they shouldn't have rented it out (but no discount for me).
I know 30k rental car mi is like 100k in regular miles, but that thing was junk. We just didn't notice until we hit the road.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

I had a 30,000mi 200 as a rental car 2 weeks ago. When I returned it and pointed out everything wrong, the enterprise guy said they shouldn't have rented it out (but no discount for me).

I had two rental 200s go to poo poo in short order.

first one had under 100 miles on it, yet somehow had a faulty right rear wheelbearing.

Took it back the next day, swapped it for another 200. Cannae remember the exact mileage, but it was less than 10K. This one had the roof shell and headliner partially detach and drop onto my fuckin head whilst cruising at 70+ on the Jersey parkway

I have not set foot in a 200 since

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
My Emerald Club profile notes contain the line "CUSTOMER REFUSES ALL CHRYSLER PRODUCTS"

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
How about pending mechanical failures?

This Caravan, for example (aside from being a Chrysler product):

The soon-to-be failure:

Two out of five lugnuts on the right front. I waited around for a few minutes to see if anyone would turn up asking me why I'm taking pictures of their van, but :shrug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've seen that in a rental car I had just signed off to pick up. The guy at the counter said "well I could take one nut off all of the other wheels, that way you've got 4/4/4/5 nuts on!". Needless to say I didn't take it.

It was a Mitsubishi Magna. That's like a Chrysler, right?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_0zhVFQuk

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

buttcrackmenace posted:

My Emerald Club profile notes contain the line "CUSTOMER REFUSES ALL CHRYSLER PRODUCTS"

I would like an exception for hemi products.
The challenger rt I got upgraded to was hilarious. I'm sure it would have broken quickly, but v8 rental car sofa. Truely the fastest car in the world.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

nm posted:

I would like an exception for hemi products.
The challenger rt I got upgraded to was hilarious. I'm sure it would have broken quickly, but v8 rental car sofa. Truely the fastest car in the world.

My last rental was a charger sxt with awd. It was a fun drive but the seats were horrible rocks. They had a charger rt sitting in the rental line when I turned the car in. if there had been an rt available when I picked up I certainly would have taken it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My last rental was a dodge journey which had the stupid loving compartment under the passenger seat which meant the passenger seat was hard as hell, and way too high. I ended up driving the last 900km straight because i couldn't sit in the passenger seat.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The chrysler 200 I got had 27k on the odometer and still felt tight as a drum. If you asked me, I would have guessed they had just gotten in. It seemed like it was a slightly more upspec model rather than the poverty/rental spec, so maybe that had something to do with it. v:shobon:v

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

nm posted:

I know 30k rental car mi is like 100k in regular miles, but that thing was junk. We just didn't notice until we hit the road.

All the rental cars I've driven have had less than 5,000 miles on them. The only 30,000+ mile rental car I've run into was a 2014 or 2015 Corolla, but the guy at the counter wouldn't let me have it because it was 200 miles shy of its "let's dump this bitch at auction" threshold.

e: the trip would have had to been less than 200 miles total.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 10, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Elmnt80 posted:

The chrysler 200 I got had 27k on the odometer and still felt tight as a drum. If you asked me, I would have guessed they had just gotten in. It seemed like it was a slightly more upspec model rather than the poverty/rental spec, so maybe that had something to do with it. v:shobon:v

Buddy of mine got one with 400 miles on it, was driving from Norfolk, VA to Chicago.

Transmission poo poo itself in West Virginia, in the middle of nowhere. When he called for a tow, they told him three hours. A state trooper came by and took him to the local station to wait, because "a man that looks like you ain't gonna last too long here on the side of the road...no offense."

So basically a lovely Chrysler could have gotten my buddy into being the victim of a hate crime according to the cops.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

iwentdoodie posted:

Buddy of mine got one with 400 miles on it, was driving from Norfolk, VA to Chicago.

Transmission poo poo itself in West Virginia, in the middle of nowhere. When he called for a tow, they told him three hours. A state trooper came by and took him to the local station to wait, because "a man that looks like you ain't gonna last too long here on the side of the road...no offense."

So basically a lovely Chrysler could have gotten my buddy into being the victim of a hate crime according to the cops.

On a scale of FFFFFF to 000000, how black was your friend?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

All the rental cars I've driven have had less than 5,000 miles on them. The only 30,000+ mile rental car I've run into was a 2014 or 2015 Corolla, but the guy at the counter wouldn't let me have it unless it was 200 miles shy of its "let's dump this bitch at auction" threshold.

In Australia I had a Ford Fairlane that was at least 2 years old (as it was 2009 and they stopped making them in 2007) and had a lot of KMs. It was clearly the "lets give these to these loving americans who are doing a one-way across australia" car.
It was actually in pretty decent shape (other than the exterior, which was beat). A floaty, gigantic boat, but pretty sure it came like that. It was actually a great road trip vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Platystemon posted:

On a scale of FFFFFF to 000000, how black was your friend?

I was thinking more along the lines of "hey, remember that scene in Deliverance? Yeah, that poo poo happens in these parts."

The Pantone skintone guide works better than hex codes, fyi.