Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

smell this posted:

Skyward Sword was pretty good.

Love it or hate it though
Love it or hate it

Skyward Sword was a obvious mix of a good number of really great concepts and ideas that were then rapidly smashed together to make a somewhat cohesive game without anyone understanding that it was a lot of near identical poo poo that was not fun. Everyone loved the massive as gently caress ocean with tons of interesting diversions in WW, but then when they make a massive as gently caress sky to explore there is less then 1/10 of the same optional content to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Skyward Sword's biggest sin is you can't name your bird.

You're supposed to have this really deep special bond with your bird and it doesn't even have a name. I called mine Kazooie.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Silver Falcon posted:

You're supposed to have this really deep special bond with your bird and it doesn't even have a name. I called mine Kazooie.

Not only can you not name your bird.

It doesn't even have a name.

Oops. I can't read.

For all its flaws, I like Skyward Sword and its motion controls. Which, from what I've heard, IS its biggest flaw. So if you can like that, you have a great game, apparently. Is there anything else people didn't like about Skyward Sword? Besides Fi, of course.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silver Falcon posted:

A real deep bond, more special than any other... that is completely irrelevant past the first hour of the game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Name the horse "my pussy" lololololol jk.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Theta Zero posted:

For all its flaws, I like Skyward Sword and its motion controls. Which, from what I've heard, IS its biggest flaw. So if you can like that, you have a great game, apparently. Is there anything else people didn't like about Skyward Sword? Besides Fi, of course.

I disliked that lack of exploration in the game. The best part of a Zelda title is running around an enormous world looking for treasures and running into puzzles and secrets. In Skyward Sword there were really only three areas that you simply returned to each time. In addition, you were directed to those areas at specific times. I prefer a big Hyrule field connected to a bunch of different locations, most of which you can visit in some capacity within the first couple of hours.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rexroom posted:

I think the day-night cycle in the game has more to do with it.

Huh. Okay, fair enough I guess. I kept forgetting that was a thing since it only ever affected the overworld and only seemed to matter when wanting to go to the malomart.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
"You found a monster horn, now hold A to speed up this text and then hit A again so we can load your inventory screen where you have to hit 1 to Exit"
Save game. Log out.
"You found a monster horn, now hold A to speed up this text and then hit A again so we can load your inventory screen where you have to hit 1 to Exit"
Fuuuuuuuck.
Keep playing.

The game was not QA'd. These aren't bugs, but they are awful QoL things that should have never made it into the final game.

Fi is super annoying, too...but not as bad as the repetition.

And the controls are not intuitive. They are forced. Oh, you are running around just fine using the analog stick? TOO BAD! NOW YOU HAVE TO USE THE loving WIIMOTE FOR NO REASON.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I prefer SS to TP but I also played SS with a ton of QOL enhancements turned on via Ocarina, like instant text display and disabling the majority of Fi's interactions with the player outside of cutscenes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nate RFB posted:

I prefer SS to TP but I also played SS with a ton of QOL enhancements turned on via Ocarina, like instant text display and disabling the majority of Fi's interactions with the player outside of cutscenes.

Did you also have motion controls off?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't really mind the motion controls, though I did have to get in the habit of re-calibrating them frequently. I'd take them over the halfassed attempt used in TP Wii at any rate.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
A lot of people don't have issues with the motion controls. It's just that everyone has that moment of why the poo poo isn't this working when you first play the game, and the game doesn't actually help you understand what you're doing wrong.

So when you get people who don't figure out that they're the ones loving up, or can't figure out how they're loving it up, the motion controls get played up to a huge degree. The point is though, they are completely justified in bitching about it do to the lack of feedback from the game. They are also completely wrong.

Edit: well ok, not completely. The controls were still hosed to a degree. Thankfully this was fixed in the zelda minigame in that one game that launched with the wiiU. It worked perfectly, and I was kinda hoping the next game would have motion controls using the updated mechanics.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Someone upthread said skyward sword is "Love it or hate it" and I feel like that's completely unfair to a mediocre game, that was at least redeemed by the Groose.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
It had really good dungeon design, and vey well done boss fights except for that one you keep repeating pointlessly. The overworld design, for what little zones there were, were also pretty cool and fun. Though they were essentially mini pre-dungeon , which while was cool kinda kills the total exploration ala ocarina of time.

There was still a lot wrong with it. The sky could have been made to be so much more, like windwaker and it's ocean. You found a blue rupee, this is worth 5 rupees! The bird controls were a neat little gimmic, that ultimately kinda sucked and had no real use at all. Fi was horrible. You found a blue rupee, this is worth 5 rupees! The sword controls were very trickey, and if you were too close to the sensor it would constantly think your cursor was pulled off screen. Not to mention that having to reset your wiimote kinda shows how early on the sword controls were, and nintendo should have spent more time trying to fix it like they managed to in that one wiiU minigame collection thing. You found a blue rupee, this is worth 5 rupees!

I wouldn't call it mediocre, its meat was in the dungeons and it had the best ones out of the entire series in my opinion. There's just so much still wrong with it though. Still totally worth playing, don't let the nay sayers shoo you away from it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Beginning to think I'm the only fucker that liked Fi.

Really liked Skyward Sword but it's still the "worst" of the 3D Zeldas in my opinion...or maybe tied with Twilight Princess. I think they're all good games so it's really splitting hairs in my eyes, but the criticisms are all accurate. The overworld for SS sucks and is super limiting, but the dungeons were pretty great and the boss fights were fun. Never had problems with the motion controls myself, hell I finished the last boss off without a shield.

Sort of hoping BotW is taking notes from SS when it comes to dungeons and bosses (save for Demise ad nauseam), couple that with what we've already seen from the new overworld and I can see this easily being the best 3D Zelda game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think Fi's worst was when she doing tutorials and interrupting you. Otherwise she's pretty cool.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It took me too long to realize that SS's lovely controls were made worse not by how I was swinging the remote but because I was playing in a room with bay windows and the light was coming in and interfering with the sensor.

I got really good at killing things with everything but the sword and I wish you got the bow far sooner than you do in SS.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Goat posted:

I think Fi's worst was when she doing tutorials and interrupting you. Otherwise she's pretty cool.

Giving away puzzles even in cool late-game dungeons "hey look up THERE, nerd!" and constantly interrupting the action is annoying. It should have just been "Hey! Listen!" 2.0 and press this button if you want to call Fi out of the sword.

Fi as a character was fine.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Skyward Sword was barely even a Zelda game and it was still better than loving Twilight Princess.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Mandrel posted:

Skyward Sword was barely even a Zelda game and it was still better than loving Twilight Princess.

I don't understand how it can be barely a Zelda but better than the best 3d Zelda game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Trent posted:

Fi as a character was fine.

Fi had a character?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

All Zelda games (except the CD-i abominations) are good to amazing.

Fi the character is cool. Fi the Navi is not.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Midna is featured in an amiibo. Fi is not. QED.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The Amiibo is literally the only good thing to come out of Twilight Princess.

(Just kidding, the arbiter grounds and yeti mansion were dope, but nothing else)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rexroom posted:

No one, no one, was saying Fi was better than Midna.

I might by a Navi amiibo though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

RBA Starblade posted:

It took me too long to realize that SS's lovely controls were made worse not by how I was swinging the remote but because I was playing in a room with bay windows and the light was coming in and interfering with the sensor.

I got really good at killing things with everything but the sword and I wish you got the bow far sooner than you do in SS.

Skyward Sword doesn't use the sensor bar, just the gyros.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

greatn posted:

Skyward Sword doesn't use the sensor bar, just the gyros.

Oh, I guess it was confirmation bias then.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I thought it uses the sensor bar when aiming weapons

In other news,

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is the only Nintendo-related thread in Games that I got bookmarked, so I'll post this here. Feel free to spread the news.

The internet archive made a crapload of old Nintendo Power magazines available for free at https://archive.org/details/nintendopower

Welp, Nintendo DMCA'd them and it was taken offline. Only a few days after they DMCA'd the Metroid fangame.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh, I guess it was confirmation bias then.

No, you're right. Skyward Sword uses the sensor bar to calibrate wiimotion plus on the fly, so sunlight could definitely affect your calibration. The controls made a lot more sense to me once I realized that I should actually be using the sensor bar as a neutral point.

Of course, you can play without the sensor bar past initial calibration but you're going to eventually need to recalibrate. So it's best to point the controller at the sensor bar anyway.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Playing through the TP remake, I've found out that I do not like midna.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
She improves after the sex scene

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

She improves after the sex scene

But enough about your tumblr

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

She's cool but not really that interesting. She just stands out from everyone else being nothing.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I can't beat the big goron guy in Death Mountain. I put the iron boots on as he charges at me, i press A to grab when it says "Grab", and yet i still get knocked into the lava. Am I missing something?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BillmasterCozb posted:

I can't beat the big goron guy in Death Mountain. I put the iron boots on as he charges at me, i press A to grab when it says "Grab", and yet i still get knocked into the lava. Am I missing something?

I believe you need to be standing on a magnetized section.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

BillmasterCozb posted:

Are you just pressing or are you holding A? It's kind of the same principle as goat wrangling.

Edit: Wait, which Goron guy? the mid-boss Goron with the iron plating or the boss-boss?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:v: Oh, I wasn't aware of my surroundings..Problem solved, then, thank you

Zuzie posted:

Are you just pressing or are you holding A? It's kind of the same principle as goat wrangling.

Edit: Wait, which Goron guy? the mid-boss Goron with the iron plating or the boss-boss?

The mid-boss, and yeah I was holding A

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Don't you need to hold up on the thumbstick as well?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Rexroom posted:

Actually, she's featured in the Link amiibo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I know I'm obviously late to the party on this, but I just started playing Link to the Past, anything I should know?