Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the Summer Transfers
This poll is closed.
Your dad's dick 46 21.50%
Manchesters 20 9.35%
ITK Taff 51 23.83%
What's his name 72 33.64%
London 25 11.68%
Total: 214 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I feel like Benteke is going to look a lot better on a different team. Honestly I wouldn't mind him as a backup to Costa at Chelsea.

They spent 30m on Michy and currently have Traore who has looked good when he gets time plus we are rumored to be in on Lukaku (still) and I can still see Costa leaving.

All of those options are better backups to Costa than Benteke imo (other than the scenario where Costa leaves, please don't leave Costa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

West Ham seem to want nothing but wingers in their squad now. L'Equipe are reporting that we're lining up a £7 million bid for Rachid Ghezzal. Even with Ayew playing center forward, that brings the wingers/CAMs to Lanzini, Tore, Payet, Feghouli, Ghezzal and Antonio (not counting Valencia as he's poo poo and hopefully leaving).

Or maybe it's just Ghezzal's agent putting news out because he's in the last year of his contract and wants a good deal

we can play wingbacks AND wingers at the same time!

- actual slaven bilic thought

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Spangly A posted:

we can play wingbacks AND wingers at the same time!

- actual slaven bilic thought

Why not. Overloading an area is a valid strategy.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Maybe Bilic is praying Carroll can be like RVP and stay mostly fit for a season and then score a million headed goals because everyone else is a winger (even the keeper).

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Thom P. Tiers posted:

They spent 30m on Michy and currently have Traore who has looked good when he gets time plus we are rumored to be in on Lukaku (still) and I can still see Costa leaving.

All of those options are better backups to Costa than Benteke imo (other than the scenario where Costa leaves, please don't leave Costa)

I think Michy and Traore are support strikers or wide forwards. For example I can't imagine them working well together as a strike pair or pairing well with Hazard if Conte is going to play 2 up front. I would love Lukaku back but Everton don't seem inclined to sell. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like Benteke for £30m would be pretty reasonable.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

I think Michy and Traore are support strikers or wide forwards. For example I can't imagine them working well together as a strike pair or pairing well with Hazard if Conte is going to play 2 up front. I would love Lukaku back but Everton don't seem inclined to sell. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like Benteke for £30m would be pretty reasonable.

You've never seen Batshuayi play have you

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Barnsley making more money out of their 15% of the John Stones sale than operating as a football club is the death of football

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Total Meatlove posted:

Barnsley making more money out of their 15% of the John Stones sale than operating as a football club is the death of football

Barnsley probably don't give a poo poo

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Apparently Mustafi wasn't included in Valencia's squad for some friendly so here's hoping wengy actually does something.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Apparently Mustafi wasn't included in Valencia's squad for some friendly so here's hoping wengy actually does something.

I'd like it if you don't sign any centre backs until after we play you.

So is everyone happy with their business so far? While Liverpool haven't signed and world class talents I've been super impressed with Mane and Klavan so far. Grujic looks a bit special too. If we can shift Mario for any money at all and get thirty million for Benteke I'll be very happy.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ewar Woowar posted:

So is everyone happy with their business so far?

No.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Dortmund's pickups seem good. Look forward to besting Premier League teams who spent 150m more, rofl.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Traore yes is more of a wide forward. Michy plays pretty central and has a good header/finishing from what I have seen.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

belgend posted:

You've never seen Batshuayi play have you

Just highlights and a bit of Chelsea friendlies. I'm sure you've seen more of him, you think he's able to lead the line for a CL club? I think I'm just used to strikers under performing at Chelsea.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

PirateBob posted:

That's your opinion. Mine is different. £150m spent doesn't necessarily make a team into title favorites.

Pogba isn't currently the type of player to decide games on his own or grab a game by the scruff of the neck like a real leader.

And again, with Rooney starting I don't see us accomplishing much of note.

loving lmao

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
*snorting* that's just like, your opinion man

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
£30m seems like a lot for everton to spend on bolasie

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

:same:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

spurs head of recruitment has resigned because he hates working with levy and fulham haven't signed players their scouts have identified because a friend of the owner's son has a model and if players don't fit it exactly they're not signed

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Rumors are going around that Arsenal have bid £35m for Mahrez and are in talks for Mustafi. These would be cool and good things.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

spurs head of recruitment has resigned because he hates working with levy and fulham haven't signed players their scouts have identified because a friend of the owner's son has a model and if players don't fit it exactly they're not signed

Are these mutually exclusive statements?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah. this si where the fulham story came from

https://twitter.com/archiert1/status/763010030014726144

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

blue footed boobie posted:

Rumors are going around that Arsenal have bid £35m for Mahrez and are in talks for Mustafi. These would be cool and good things.

Yesterday I read that Mahrez is in talks with Chelsea and was even photographed checking in at the Chelsea Harbour Hotel (which is apparently their team hotel). I'm more interested in Mustafi because it's not as if we have a dearth of wide attacking players right now, regardless of Mahrez's quality.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Shoren posted:

Yesterday I read that Mahrez is in talks with Chelsea and was even photographed checking in at the Chelsea Harbour Hotel (which is apparently their team hotel). I'm more interested in Mustafi because it's not as if we have a dearth of wide attacking players right now, regardless of Mahrez's quality.

Bad news, Mustafi is a defender.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Mahrez is the ice cream Wengy gets for eating his vegetables (buying a defender)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I think Chelsea sign Koulibaly for way too much money and then call it quits (sell off or loan some midfielders too).

As long as Chelsea sign a defender and keep Costa, I think I'm cool with whatever else happens.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

yeah. this si where the fulham story came from

https://twitter.com/archiert1/status/763010030014726144

LMAO. Clubs are massively shooting themselves in the foot by hiring guys like that and even worse giving them so much power.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

jyrka posted:

LMAO. Clubs are massively shooting themselves in the foot by hiring guys like that and even worse giving them so much power.

Is that Danish club that hired a big stats autist still winning things?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

talk about fishing for compliments

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Not sure about that, but they did this today

https://mobile.twitter.com/fcmidtjylland/status/763364791054376960

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Came 3rd last season. I think that guy has become their 'set pieces scout' which seems like a good use for an autist - basically looking up cool free kick combinations on youtube.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

This is what happens to 90% of the 'stats guys': the club owner reads an article that says something about moneyball and so he hires some guy > the guy can't communicate or work with other people, doesn't understand football outside of his 'system' and has no experience actually playing, coaching or scouting > the people at the club want him fired so he gets fired. Or sometimes just removed from the offices to stay on as a 'special adviser' to the owner.

The only way I'd hire one is to work below the coaches or scouts who are already curious about modern analytics but lack the IT skills to get in depth themselves. So their role would be collect data and check out whatever ideas or theories the staff ask him to. Giving them any real power is death.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Just highlights and a bit of Chelsea friendlies. I'm sure you've seen more of him, you think he's able to lead the line for a CL club? I think I'm just used to strikers under performing at Chelsea.

He scores 1 goal per 3 matches and singlehandedly kept Marseille up and you're putting him on the wing. You're basically more inept than Wilmots if you even consider that.

In lighter news, Royston Drenthe failed a medical at a bottom table club in Belgium

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

They still use the model and do pretty well, especially on set pieces. They just signed Van der Vaart, which I think broke the computer model, or maybe they're just playing football manager

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

£30m seems like a lot for everton to spend on bolasie

Silly season is in full swing

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Looks like Big Ash is officially official at Everton.

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/763396987471425536

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Kwagga posted:

*in United fan voice* The fates of the league winners are written in the stars. We are powerless in this world to affect what the Gods have deemed is just. All money is meaningless and our wanton obscene spending of it hastens our journey towards acceptance of this reality. And the next time you are painting your house, buy Kansai Paint, official paint partner of Manchester United.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shoren posted:

It's a position that should be addressed. There are a lot of wide players, but they're all kinda poo poo except Alexis. But yeah, Arsenal are actually short of players at striker and cb, so that should be a priority.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

MrBling posted:

Looks like Big Ash is officially official at Everton.

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/763396987471425536

This picture is funny to me. Like a little Ashley trapped in a big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
He's imagining himself playing for Wales

• Locked thread