Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Klaus88 posted:

I realized that, since I do boring poo poo like reading tooltips.:v:

Should I worry about increasing my ratio of spear men to melee dudes or can I keep it at Rome 2 levels?

I pretty much only had one spear unit for every five legionaries.

Germanic kingdoms eat roman spear units. Your comitatenses are the only thing capable of fighting them on equal or better footing. Keep your spears on the flanks like usual and let them hammer away at your heavy infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

popewiles posted:

Goddamn all I want to play right now is a 1960's Planet of the Apes Total War game. No I don't know what any of the mechanics would be beyond General Charlton Heston giving the pre-battle speeches.

Ape Must Not Kill Ape.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Klaus88 posted:

I realized that, since I do boring poo poo like reading tooltips.:v:

Should I worry about increasing my ratio of spear men to melee dudes or can I keep it at Rome 2 levels?

I pretty much only had one spear unit for every five legionaries.
even light cavalry can cause serious damage to heavy swordsmen so keep spearmen in reserve for emergencies. The legions are the only units capable of withstanding the German hordes (and by withstand i mean taking out three units at a time alone so definitely keep the swords as mainline infantry.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are there any cheats out there that I can just kill everything inside a settlement and turn it neutral? I've been at war with one faction over this city for several turns and just as as decimate their army, a defensive ally just scoops in and takes the city.

Edit: Luckily I had a save a few turns before that happened and changed some tactics but boy that was frustrating. Is it just me or does Rome have an extremely easy early game, combat-wise? Their default trooper just decimates everything. The game wasn't kidding when they said "Easy" when you choose them.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 12, 2016

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Do either of the musket era TW games have an active multiplayer community?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Do either of the musket era TW games have an active multiplayer community?

Napoleon multiplayer is actually still very strong, I just loaded it up to check and there are like 30+ games right now. Euro hours are definitely more popular, but you can get games in US prime time as well. Although most games are made through the custom battle lobby instead of using quickmatch, I fired up quickmatch to see how long it would take to get a game and it gave me a drop in singleplayer battle in like 30 seconds. It was an early campaign battle someone was doing with tons of poo poo militia on both sides. I forgot what a cool feature that was to let a human drop in and take over an AI army from single player.

Multiplayer wise Empire died once Napoleon came out, the mechanics of formation movement and firing in Empire are pretty rough.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Captain Beans posted:

Napoleon multiplayer is actually still very strong, I just loaded it up to check and there are like 30+ games right now. Euro hours are definitely more popular, but you can get games in US prime time as well. Although most games are made through the custom battle lobby instead of using quickmatch, I fired up quickmatch to see how long it would take to get a game and it gave me a drop in singleplayer battle in like 30 seconds. It was an early campaign battle someone was doing with tons of poo poo militia on both sides. I forgot what a cool feature that was to let a human drop in and take over an AI army from single player.

Multiplayer wise Empire died once Napoleon came out, the mechanics of formation movement and firing in Empire are pretty rough.

Thanks, I have now pulled the trigger and spent 9 whole dollars

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I'm way behind on the series, but I'm getting everything from Shogun 2 up to and including Atilla. I'll start with shogun 2, are there any quality of life or graphic mods I should most certainly install? Not looking into changing too much about the core gameplay in my first few games.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Nah, Shogun 2 is pretty much perfect.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Suppose you can always do the agent mod thing but I never noticed the agents in Shogun

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

Suppose you can always do the agent mod thing but I never noticed the agents in Shogun

Agents in Shogun 2 seem to mostly go after other agents. So if you don't bother much with agents of your own you won't really notice them.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
All of them could only interact with a couple of specific things, rather than every agent being able to do something to everything like they can since Rome 2. I've thought about it a fair bunch 'cause I loved the agents to pieces in all the old games but have hated them since Rome 2, and I'm pretty sure that's why. At least for me personally.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Agents in Shogun 2 seem to mostly go after other agents. So if you don't bother much with agents of your own you won't really notice them.

I did have agents but they were only ever used right as I curbstomped a faction into oblivion.

I've never had much in the way of Agent problems in TW games though, but that's probably because I just destroy factions before they can bring agents to me.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Even in Rome2 where nominally any agent could do anything.... My Admin dudes are for Tax Harvesting, my champions for putting chevrons on military units, and spies are for loving with enemy armies/agents. So mostly what it changed is that the AIs do weird things like send an administrator to try to hassle my army, and my champion beats him up.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
admin dudes to lower upkeep on expensive armies, champions to give gold chevrons to all legions and spies to not really do anything was my motto.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh yeah I used my own agents for differentiated roles just fine (although imo the skill tree in Shogun 2 is much more satisfying), it's just that the AI wouldn't.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shogun 2 is the only game in the series where I like using agents. It's also the only game where I see the ai use agents against people other than myself, though that is probably confirmation bias talking. At least I don't get a half dozen assassins making a beeline for my army the minute I enter foreign territory like in wahammer.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I only wish Shogun 2 had a simple mod where the AI factions don't all gang up on the player (not the realm divide, but just in general). This is especially bad in Fall of the Samurai.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Rome II spies that specialize in poisoning are broken.
A mediocre one can reliably wipe out a quarter of a doomstack and reduce movement by 50%, and that's before they get +crit chance talents.
Playing with 4 turns/yr though, so they live forever to hone their craft. Also TTT character overhaul, dunno how much that changes things itr.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 6, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Back To 99 posted:

I only wish Shogun 2 had a simple mod where the AI factions don't all gang up on the player (not the realm divide, but just in general). This is especially bad in Fall of the Samurai.

Honestly all the TW game AI does this because it would be really easy if they didn't. The AI just doesn't play the strategic game well enough to hold their own against multiple opponents, especially if one of them is the player.

It would be nice if the games were more "fair" but I can understand why they do it that way.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Perhaps, but it should also not be going half the world away to do it, either.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, i'd like it if maybe factions next to you and the ones a couple of regions away got scared and declared war. The dudes over in bumfuck middle of nowhere shouldn't care

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know that Total War Warhammer is supposed to be a gleeful romp into bloodthirsty madness, but I kind of miss the subtle antiwar themes of the earlier games. Rome and Medieval 2 in particular had all those tragic quotes in the loading screens about death and loss, and Jeff Van Dyck's wife sang all the songs about tolerance and the wastefulness of war which were incorporated into the games.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
I don't think it would be really possible to fit an anti-war message in a game featuring murder fungus orcs, skeleton armies and an evil version of he-man. Like yea it had that in Shogun 2 and Attila was bleak as hell but it's probably best left out of this one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tardcore posted:

I don't think it would be really possible to fit an anti-war message in a game featuring murder fungus orcs, skeleton armies and an evil version of he-man. Like yea it had that in Shogun 2 and Attila was bleak as hell but it's probably best left out of this one.

I never meant to say I want the antiwar in Warhammer, it's hilarious on its own. I just appreciated the tone setting for the old games because you wouldn't expect it from a series that touts enormous battles and ludicrous casualties.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I like in Shogun 2 when you upset one of your neighbors in Kyushu and they call their allies from wayyyyy up in north Honshu to sail a stack for 5 years over to attack you. The guys on the boat for 5 years probably didn't remember why they set sail in the first place.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Here's a dumb question from a dumb newbie to this series (apologies if this has been answered). I've recently played through RTW and am currently enjoying Rome II: Emperor Edition. Very glad I missed the messy initial rollout of that game, since it sounds like it was pretty terrible, and while it's not perfect (not being able to run an army detachment without a general is pretty dumb, plus lingering graphics issues), i'm still having lots of fun with it. I think the Seleucids have been my favorite faction in both "Rome" games.

My dumb question: I got Rome II on the Mac app store. Is there any way for me to get any of the mods (Blood, Wrath of Sparta, etc), or can one only get those for the Mac version via Steam? I'd like to take the Greek factions out for a spin, but it looks like I might be out of luck unless I repurchase the game on Steam.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Mods may or may not work after some tinkering, see https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/137170/rome-ii-mac-version-faq
Official DLCs are Steam only it seems.
And yeah their new 'all armies require a general' shtick makes defending large empires not fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Someone gave me a key for S2: Fall of the Samurai; any hints on starting a campaign, such as which faction I oughta pick? Also, are there any good mods for the game, specifically something that'll diversify the faction unit rosters a little?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Start as one of the clans that starts on the far left side of the map. The territories are high income, and it's easier to defend your front.

The only really required mod is the artillery mod that adds more artillery pieces. There's unfortunately not much by way of faction diversity, but you probably won't be bothered by it on your first play through

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

canyoneer posted:

Start as one of the clans that starts on the far left side of the map. The territories are high income, and it's easier to defend your front.

The only really required mod is the artillery mod that adds more artillery pieces. There's unfortunately not much by way of faction diversity, but you probably won't be bothered by it on your first play through

Artillery mod and bayonet mod are the only ones you really need.

The Radious Unit mods exist if you want more diversity too I guess?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any Medieval 2 mods that cover the Ottoman Habsburg wars?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mordja posted:

Someone gave me a key for S2: Fall of the Samurai; any hints on starting a campaign, such as which faction I oughta pick? Also, are there any good mods for the game, specifically something that'll diversify the faction unit rosters a little?

Super secret protip: Horses are big enough that you can make your Carbine Cavalry shoot over your own line.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordja posted:

Start with the dudes on the Southern Island because they're mostly safe and you can dictate the pace of your campaign.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mans posted:

Start with the dudes on the Southern Island because they're mostly safe and you can dictate the pace of your campaign.

The Chokosabe (these guys) are a pretty good pick because they have a nice safe island, a generically good combat bonus (almost every army will use some bows and it makes sieges better) and a generic but strong econ bonus. Only disadvantage is you have to learn naval combat a bit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

And and a quick tip about mods if you get them from the Workshop or TWC read the description carefully. Adding new units messes up the sound files somehow with Shogun 2 and said descriptions usually carry a mod that essentially fixes your sound files. Just do it after adding all the new units and you won't get the sound glitch.

The Satsuma clan is the one with easiest start, though if you have the DLC I believe the Saga starting army has Parrot guys which mess those peasant and conscript levies right up!

StashAugustine posted:

The Chokosabe (these guys) are a pretty good pick because they have a nice safe island, a generically good combat bonus (almost every army will use some bows and it makes sieges better) and a generic but strong econ bonus. Only disadvantage is you have to learn naval combat a bit.

He's got Fall Of The Samurai, but the clan on that Island is also worth picking as they got some unique Riflemen that make skimishing a charm.

Also, BUILD RAILROADS AND FLEETS. And use your Foreign Agent to make your levies less soft.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 10, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Thanks for the help, champs! And yeah, the only game I have is FOTS, no additional DLC or base S2. I'll definitely install that artillery mod since I'd like to blow people up in a variety of ways and I'll definitely start as an Imperial faction, though I'm still not sure if I want to be stuck on an island early game. Speaking of, are all Imperial and Shogun-aligned clans automatically allied with their political compatriots or not really?

E: Might end up going with the clan that gives me foreigner bonuses so I can chill with US/British/French asap.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mordja posted:

Thanks for the help, champs! And yeah, the only game I have is FOTS, no additional DLC or base S2. I'll definitely install that artillery mod since I'd like to blow people up in a variety of ways and I'll definitely start as an Imperial faction, though I'm still not sure if I want to be stuck on an island early game. Speaking of, are all Imperial and Shogun-aligned clans automatically allied with their political compatriots or not really?

At the start aside from a few examples it is every clan for itself. But as time progress and depending on their surrounding situation some clans will pick a side. When you get strong enough and hold the most territory in your little gang the Emperor or Shogun will back you and then poo poo gets serious as everyone picks a side.

If you feel confident at that point, you can go a Republic too and tell everyone to gently caress off.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yo they're porting the original Rome to the iPad, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSzyfO0vhXw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
lmao what