Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

tofes posted:

At some point it becomes easier to switch to just doing a round a day and you can make your pick any time that day

Ya, eh. Ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
A 1 HR time limit pretty much ensures that we can knock out at least half a round a day while still keeping things balanced. At that rate, the absolute longest this thing could last would be two more weeks and honestly at this point it's taken this long I really wouldn't care

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

It's only August

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Elliot/Johnson seems to be an above-average tandem, especially in front of my defense, which I am very pleased with.

A guy who has never started more than 45 games in a season and Chad "Wrap Around" Johnson is not above average Im sorry to be the one to break it to you.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JoelJoel posted:

You got a problem with Holden but you're okay with letting Fayne near your team? That def makes sense.

Hot take: they both suck.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

A guy who has never started more than 45 games in a season and Chad "Wrap Around" Johnson is not above average Im sorry to be the one to break it to you.

Johnson has had good seasons as a backup most of his career. Elliot isn't league-leading save percentage good, but he's definitely above-average for 55 games good. "He hasn't played more than 45 games" is the terrible argument people had against Schneider. Obviously I am not implying Elliot is in the same stratosphere as Cory, but both of those goalies combined putting up 918-920 over a full season, especially with a good defense in front of them, is pretty likely.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Also all you need is average+ goal tending and I wasn't sure I would get it. Elliot putting up .918 and Johnson even .915 would be fine, but I think both combined would be closer to .920 with a good defense and good system.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 9, 2016

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Brian Elliott is 9th in 5v5 save percentage over the last three years of goalies who've played at least 100 games. He posted a .9296 to Schneider's .9302. He's a really, really good goalie when he's healthy. I don't know his injury history though.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

He's just been playing as a 1A, like Schneider was. Elliot is at least a 920 goalie and Johnson I would settle for a 915 even over 25 games. That's fine goaltending over a full season.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Schneider was stuck behind one of the best goalies of the past twenty years and proved capable of playing 65+ games the moment that was no longer the case.

Brian Elliott couldn't beat out Halak or Allen for the full time #1 job over the course of 4 seasons.

They aren't remotely comparable. If Elliott plays 55+ games this year without making GBS threads the bed I'll be happy to eat crow, but I have serious doubts about that happening. He's a fine goalie who has been bad outside of St Louis and even there couldn't take the #1 job.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Schneider was stuck behind one of the best goalies of the past twenty years and proved capable of playing 65+ games the moment that was no longer the case.

Brian Elliott couldn't beat out Halak or Allen for the full time #1 job over the course of 4 seasons.

They aren't remotely comparable. If Elliott plays 55+ games this year without making GBS threads the bed I'll be happy to eat crow, but I have serious doubts about that happening. He's a fine goalie who has been bad outside of St Louis and even there couldn't take the #1 job.

Also a fair assessment, and to be frank, it's why I put expectations somewhere in the middle, which is at least average over 55 games.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

These were both two pretty good goalies each season he played with them and there were good stretches of seasons with each where Elliot was the better goalie and was given a lion's share of the starts. Not to mention that Allen is their Goalie Of The Future and they went into each of the last two seasons with every intention of making him the starter and lessening Elliott's role, only to have Elliot play well enough to force himself into the lineup

Jordan7hm posted:

He's a fine goalie who has been bad outside of St Louis

He was also a 25 year old who came from the 3rd hardest of 5 collegiate hockey conferences and then played for Ottawa and Colorado, so it's not really out of the realm of possibility to think that it might take him a little while to come into his own at the professional level

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 9, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I assume Veskit is skipped so I'm taking noted midget Seth Griffith.

His AHL numbers are really good and have been since he came out of junior (where his numbers were real good). He either makes the Bruins (or another team) this year and becomes a decent middle 6 guy or he doesn't and never becomes an NHLer at all. He's waiver elgibile with a real low one year deal so I'd be surprised if he doesn't stick to an NHL roster.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So anyway I screwed up by not noticing when Veskit was skipped yesterday (and so was i, and so were the two after me) so I'm just going to pick again to get this moving again.

I take Jimmy Hayes to reuinite him with his more talented brother. Also he's 6'5.

He's not a top 6 guy but he's a fine bottom 6 winger whose cap but isn't as bad as I thought it was.

It's back to Brodeur's Nanny with Veskit / talent deficit / tbone all having picks to make.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I would really like to take another forward but coaches are going and there are two I'd really want who won't make it back to me. I've been laboring on which of the two I like to pick, but I'll just go ahead and take the guy who I think is better with younger players.

Winnipeg selects Claude Julien. Making my current team:

Parise-Bergeron-Simmonds
Steen-Kadri-Buchnevich
Beleskey-Karlsson-Mantha
Larsson-xxx-xxx

Doughty-McNabb
Werenski-Hamonic
Pysyk

Elliot
Johnson

COACH: Claude Julien

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'd consider my team to be an absolute lock for the playoffs with Julien especially.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I'd consider my team to be an absolute lock for the playoffs with Julien especially.

I'd consider your team to be an absolute lock to be a bunch of jerks!!!!!!!!

Unlike my team which has at most five

Gaudreau - Couture - Parenteau
E. Kane - Stastny - W. Nylander
Aho - Namestnikov - Nestrasil

Alzner - Letang
Lindell - E. Johnson
Koekkoek - Hultstrom

Mason

Darryl Sutter

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Whi.le I can I'll snag Melker Karlson for the homerest pick of them all

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Technetium posted:

I'd consider your team to be an absolute lock to be a bunch of jerks!!!!!!!!

Unlike my team which has at most five

Gaudreau - Couture - Parenteau
E. Kane - Stastny - W. Nylander
Aho - Namestnikov - Nestrasil

Alzner - Letang
Lindell - E. Johnson
Koekkoek - Hultstrom

Mason

Darryl Sutter

Your team is a playoff team too

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I want to believe my team can compete off of a ridiculous defense core, and if they don't things get a lot more interesting because A LOT of my forwards have expiring contracts after this season.

JVR - Thornton - Radulov
Vesey - Bonino - Iginla
Baertschi - Barzal - Burrows

Karlsson - Vlasic
Gardiner - Franson
Tryamkin - Carrick

Allen

Guy Boucher

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I feel like your coach will really have to work his magic with the forwards but the D and goaltending should allow you to compete for a playoff spot

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Your team is a playoff team too

Thank you I quite like it so far, I think that third line would Wreck poo poo in the NHL. e: also giving already good, young shutdown players to Darryl Sutter...ungh.....

My biggest concern is my defense and all of Lindell/Koekkoek/Hulstrom being effective next year, which they almost certainly won't be but eh.

Yaya posted:

I want to believe my team can compete off of a ridiculous defense core, and if they don't things get a lot more interesting because A LOT of my forwards have expiring contracts after this season.

JVR - Thornton - Radulov
Vesey - Bonino - Iginla
Baertschi - Barzal - Burrows

Karlsson - Vlasic
Gardiner - Franson
Tryamkin - Carrick

Allen

Guy Boucher

Your defense is sick, other than maybe Tryamkin who seemed in over his head last year. Your forwards leave a lot to be desired though, that first line should absolutely slay but after that I'm not sure. A lot of it has to do with me not being sold on Vesey, Bonino being a questionable second line center as well as Iginla being a possession black hole. Barzal will probably slay but he'll have to carry that line.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
So eXXon got skipped, I think, at 6:38. lazerwolf is on until 8:38 Eastern.

All these dudes also have to make picks:
Metapod (3 picks)
The RECAPITATOR (2 picks)
the talent deficit (2 picks)
T-Bone (2 picks)
Paulocaust (1 pick)
FBS (1 pick)
Ginette Reno (1 pick)
Veskit (1 pick; you were supposed to make 2 with your last post)

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Does that mean I'm actually up now?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Technetium posted:

Does that mean I'm actually up now?

ya

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dave Hakstol is a real NHL coach, give me him.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I'll pick Patrick Eaves

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

In that case I want Calvin Pickard for my backup goalie and possible starter after this year.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

lazerwolf posted:

I'll pick Patrick Eaves

Booo

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Agreed

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I'm just gonna start posting my picks

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

tofes posted:

I'm just gonna start posting my picks

ill fight you irl if theyre the guys i want

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Metapod, Ginette Reno, and FBS got skipped again automatically. stab technically has until noon before he's skipped too, then Paulocaust gets skipped and ThinkTank is up.

e: tofes I will also fight you irl if you pick the dudes I want.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

mentholmoose posted:

Metapod, Ginette Reno, and FBS got skipped again automatically. stab technically has until noon before he's skipped too, then Paulocaust gets skipped and ThinkTank is up.

e: tofes I will also fight you irl if you pick the dudes I want.

Im in my car stuck in traffic.

Is Malcolm Subban available to take the sting away from the disenfranchised fan base?

If yes, he's going to be the back up to Carey and wear 76 and do triple low fives all day long

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So am I up or what? This is getting confusing.

Whatever, I'll take Zack Kassian

Depth Chart

Skinner - Kopitar - Okposo
Horvat - Domi - Coyle
Bailey - Vatrano- Kassian
XXX - McCann - XXX

AHL: Compher

Brodie - Edler
Kulikov - Montour
Hutton - Gudbranson

Schneider

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 10, 2016

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Who's up? How is this working?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
code:
LW				C				RW
Tomas Tatar			Joe Pavelski			Mitch Marner
Alex Killorn			Jason Spezza			Cam Atkinson
Teemu Pulkkinen			Tyler Bozak			Valeri Nichushkin
Patrick Eaves			Michael Latta			Cal Clutterbuck

D			
			Mark Giordano	Braydon Coburn		
			Nick Leddy	Andrei Markov	
			Mike Reilly	some pylon		

G			
				Devan Dubnyk	
				some backup

Coach
				Coach McGurk		
So far liking my team

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Otis Reddit posted:

Who's up? How is this working?

You are, pick drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I'm gonna roll the dice on the fact that Radim Vrbata will play next year and won't suck too bad, because I need a bottom six. :downs:

• Locked thread