Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The AMS F3s are really fun, and Montreal seemed like a good fit, if not quite the easiest one. Some of those curbs are murder, and accelerating out of the hairpin requires a bit of patience on the right foot.

Larrymer posted:

Tried loving around with FOV and seating position and the controls for the seat position don't work. Dunno, maybe it takes .ini file fuckery but I'll try again next week.

I have a vague memory of seat adjustment not working for me back when I first installed SCE, but I can't quite remember what it was.

Edit:

Next week OhsH is gonna host, which means AMS again, because try getting OhsH to host AC if you dare.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
I had a slight issue with the seat position today as well. It seemed to fix itself after I went back to the garage to make sure I was hitting the right keys. Got back in the car, and PRESTO it was working fine.

Also good car/track combo this week. They seemed to fit really well.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I think it has something to do with accidently switching the camera to some view that looks like cockpit view but isn't quite the same.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
My graphics card seems to hate AMS; it didn't work again. I don't loving know why; last week it didn't work with anything while now it just doesn't seem to like AMS. Really annoying...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

IceAgeComing posted:

My graphics card seems to hate AMS; it didn't work again. I don't loving know why; last week it didn't work with anything while now it just doesn't seem to like AMS. Really annoying...

Some people on the Reiza forums have complained of weird performance issues with the most recent build, so it might not be the card.

Montreal in AMS is a great combo in most cars. The touring cars especially so you can just run right over the kerbs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
His whole computer is just hosed.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah the f3 cars don't like the kerbs

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I found that I get poo poo performance if I have discord open with AMS. Closing discord boosted framerates a lot.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm not 100% sure Discord is the culprit, but I had a few instances of games suddenly dropping from fullscreen into windowed mode recently.

IceAge: When your problems happen, was Discord running?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm pretty sure it was, I'll try that next time if it happens again

It's working fine now though, maybe my computer just doesn't like Sundays...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

New Nascar Heat Evolution dev diary showing off the career, championship and online modes. More than anything else in sim racing right now I desperately want this to be good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

njsykora posted:

New Nascar Heat Evolution dev diary showing off the career, championship and online modes. More than anything else in sim racing right now I desperately want this to be good.

:same:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

njsykora posted:

Same, an offline oval game that's actually good would own a whole lot

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That sponsor thing certainly does seem like a realistic simulation of NASCAR.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

That sponsor thing certainly does seem like a realistic simulation of NASCAR.

It's something I really liked in Grid, having sponsors give you different race objectives for extra cash was a great mechanic and I hope this runs something similar. Like Pepsi will pay you $10k more if you finish ahead of the Coke car.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

njsykora posted:

It's something I really liked in Grid, having sponsors give you different race objectives for extra cash was a great mechanic and I hope this runs something similar. Like Pepsi will pay you $10k more if you finish ahead of the Coke car.

Coke cars. :colbert:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
We're gonna try to set up an impromptu R3E DTM2014 session in 30 minutes. Just in case anyone wants to join, get in Discord.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I made a bot for the discord if people want to gauge interest in a race they want to do. You can use !list to see what races are coming up, then use !interested *race number* to show interest in a race. "!racebot help" will show how to create and remove races. People are always asking what races are going to be and seeing if anyone wants to do a certain combo, so maybe this can help. I put the next two gooncar races in it.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

Sounds kind of like the NASCAR career modes of old that I enjoyed with a bit more depth, but those were hardly tacked onto a game resembling a sim racing experience (albeit a decently fun one, IMO). Is this one actually supposed to be a simulation?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Its a console nascar game it won't be a full on sim but if the ai is fun and a challenge that's enough. Online has no cautions which is abit meh also be intresting to see how the net code handels 40 cars.

Until lap 3 when 27 of them are out after a turn 1 pile up.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
Makeshift AMS LancerCup practice happening for the race on Sunday. Text chat to figure things out in Discord, voice chat in Mumble.

:getin:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
AMS this sunday is going to be the Lancer R at non-chicane Interlagos, practice will start at 3:00 est, qual starting at 4:00 and race will start at 4:15 and will be a 15 lap race.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
What's this est crap I'll disown you.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
feel free to host this sunday : )

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

:rip: AC gooncar.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
We'll do some AC again, I was just a bit tired of how bullshit the server and racing part of that game are. The driving I still like a lot.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

We'll do some AC again

I'm not so sure about that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Holy gently caress the formula jr in R3E is silly fun

doughboy1013
Apr 4, 2011
Any of y'all use an ultrawide monitor for your sims?

Don't have the space for a triple-head, but want a wider field of view.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I use a 21:9 though my pc gave up the ghost in May.

Tablet posting is :suicide:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

doughboy1013 posted:

Any of y'all use an ultrawide monitor for your sims?

Don't have the space for a triple-head, but want a wider field of view.

I use one. It's not quite as nice as triplehead of course, but it was definitely a worthwhile upgrade over 16:9 for racing and flight sims. Just keep in mind that monitor sizes are measured diagonally, so you need to get a "larger" ultrawide than your current monitor or else you will lose vertical size. For example, a 27" ultrawide is quite a bit shorter than a 27" 16:9 monitor, so if you have a 27" 16:9, then ideally you'll want to get a 34" ultrawide. Measure the vertical size of your monitor and compare that to the vertical size of any ultrawides you're looking at.

If you haven't purchased a monitor in a while, then look up Freesync and G-sync, and get a monitor that supports whichever of those your video card is capable of. These are replacements for v-sync that make your image much smoother, even if the framerate is jumping around. Freesync monitors are for modern AMD cards, G-sync monitors are for modern Nvidia cards (and are considerably more expensive, since they contain proprietary Nvidia hardware). There's probably a monitors thread in SH/SC with recommendations and poo poo.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Cojawfee posted:

I made a bot for the discord if people want to gauge interest in a race they want to do. You can use !list to see what races are coming up, then use !interested *race number* to show interest in a race. "!racebot help" will show how to create and remove races. People are always asking what races are going to be and seeing if anyone wants to do a certain combo, so maybe this can help. I put the next two gooncar races in it.

That's a really cool thing. Is it possible to convert into local time?

Gonna add this to the OP next week, remind me if I forget.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would but I can't see any way to figure out what time zone a user is in. Even then, it would only be useful for anyone in that time zone. UTC is the same for everyone. I guess I could add in a time zone converter if people know where they are in relation to UTC.

Edit: I threw in a convert command so you can convert the race times to whatever time zone you live in. Here's a web page where the most up to date info on it will live http://cojatronic.com/RaceBot

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 13, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
automobilista gooncar is now up, password is lljk

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

2 videos. Some random tech channel put up video of the Kartkraft beta against the terms of the NDA. I'd say watch it before it gets taken down but it's been there a few days apparently. Seems like the devs are as quick to respond to leaks as they are to bugs. Secondly footage of Nascar Heat Evolution is out from an event they did so here's some with some nerd talking over it. The video gives me hope, this might actually be really good.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Cojawfee posted:

I would but I can't see any way to figure out what time zone a user is in. Even then, it would only be useful for anyone in that time zone. UTC is the same for everyone. I guess I could add in a time zone converter if people know where they are in relation to UTC.

This kinda doesn't help much because if you know the time difference already, it's easy enough to convert. The "time to race" stuff mostly fixes this though, so good stuff.

doughboy1013
Apr 4, 2011

Shine posted:

I use one. It's not quite as nice as triplehead of course, but it was definitely a worthwhile upgrade over 16:9 for racing and flight sims. Just keep in mind that monitor sizes are measured diagonally, so you need to get a "larger" ultrawide than your current monitor or else you will lose vertical size. For example, a 27" ultrawide is quite a bit shorter than a 27" 16:9 monitor, so if you have a 27" 16:9, then ideally you'll want to get a 34" ultrawide. Measure the vertical size of your monitor and compare that to the vertical size of any ultrawides you're looking at.

If you haven't purchased a monitor in a while, then look up Freesync and G-sync, and get a monitor that supports whichever of those your video card is capable of. These are replacements for v-sync that make your image much smoother, even if the framerate is jumping around. Freesync monitors are for modern AMD cards, G-sync monitors are for modern Nvidia cards (and are considerably more expensive, since they contain proprietary Nvidia hardware). There's probably a monitors thread in SH/SC with recommendations and poo poo.

There is a thread, been reading. Always good to hear actual sim experience though. Using a 23" 1080p currently, so I have been looking at 29" ultrawides to keep a similar vertical size.

A 34" would be nice, but I'm constrained vertically. Maybe it's time to get a new desk.

Or build a cockpit. :sotw:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A gsync monitor is like going from a regular hdd to an ssd: unbelievably worth it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yo, random AMS race happening soon. Marcas touring cars at Salvador. Gonna put up the game in about half an hour (8pm EST) and have a 10m quali and 20m race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

holocaust bloopers posted:

A gsync monitor is like going from a regular hdd to an ssd: unbelievably worth it.

That's a bit dramatic. It's not quite like that at all, but it's certainly good.

So I have the x34, which is Acer's Ultrawide running 3440x1440 with GSync. It's amazing, the biggest difference for me is the colour reproduction of the IPS panel vs the TN panel I had before. But the extra screen width certainly helps, I've been playing a ton of driving games and they've been great fun.

I did do some iRacing with it and it is better, you see more.. but it's not like triples. In one particular example I went side-by-side with someone into a corner and when later watching the replay that I just knew where the other car was from experience, the monitor wasn't helping me see it. With triples I can see more of an angle.

So it's good, much better than my 27" panel. But it's not as good as triple for width (better for everything else though, playing other games is much better) and won't be as good as a HMD for immersion. It's still the best monitor money can buy now (pretty much) and as anyone with a HMD will tell you, they still use their monitor a whole lot. So having a sweet, ultrawide monitor makes just as much sense now as is always did, HMDs regardless.