Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Set up the old SNES over the weekend and started playing through Earthbound again. I'm impressed with the longevity of Nintendo's old systems. Though one of my controllers no longer works so I need to order a new one :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
What the gently caress is shinesparking? I played through Metroid II (I used save-states. gently caress the old save system) on my retropie a few weeks ago and finished it so I must have done it but the term is new to me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GutBomb posted:

What the gently caress is shinesparking? I played through Metroid II on my retropie a few weeks ago and finished it so I must have done it but the term is new to me.

Running to build up speed, then you can launch yourself at high speed in a direction. It was actually introduced in Super Metroid and turned up again in Fusion and Zero Mission.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GutBomb posted:

What the gently caress is shinesparking? I played through Metroid II (I used save-states. gently caress the old save system) on my retropie a few weeks ago and finished it so I must have done it but the term is new to me.

It's the speed boost mechanic which has various hidden features like pushing down and then infinite-diving in a direction until you hit a wall (stop) or slope (reverts to full speed running), and has a few really well-hidden items and easter eggs as a result.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Ah I don't remember having to do any of that in Metroid 2 on the gameboy. I haven't tried the remake yet

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

cenotaph posted:

I hosed up on the safe spot and got knocked into the other room. Had to fight him without any super missiles. Took forever.

Yup, same exact thing happened to me. However, like I said, I found a solution pretty quickly, however tedious it was.

A.o.D. posted:

Well, that explains the one spot where you have to super bomb and then speed boost through a wall without enough space to build up charge.

This is one of the puzzles I gave up on. I'm guessing you have to spark in the main room, hit the incline near the door, then press down, go through the door, morph, drop a super, unmorph, drop down and spark right. The timing is way too tight.

Protip for shinesparking in general - hit the jump button before hitting the direction you want to go. Don't press both simultaneously. It's like a MK move input. I had lots of trouble in Super Metroid but I figured this out in Zero Mission and it's been a lot easier since.

TeaJay posted:

In general, not being able to save whenever you want is a thing that should've stayed in the past.

On the flipside, I'm a horrible save-scummer in PC games with stealth gameplay, so it goes both ways.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 10, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Ah I don't remember having to do any of that in Metroid 2 on the gameboy. I haven't tried the remake yet

It wasn't in there originally, and fwiw it didn't have a name until Fusion and only if you did a very specific sequence break as I recall.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phantasium posted:

It wasn't in there originally, and fwiw it didn't have a name until Fusion and only if you did a very specific sequence break as I recall.

Yeah, there's a "point of no return" underwater area where you get the final door unlock, and eventually ice missiles, with no A.I. computer meeting between them. There is, however, an extraordinarily elaborate sequence you have to execute from several rooms away and involving a few detours where you execute and maintain the super-speed and effectively go back out the way you came. If you do this after getting the door unlock but before getting the ice missiles and then go to a nav room, the A.I. pretty much congratulates you for your boss-as-gently caress moves and then tells you to get back to the mission (so going once again into the underwater area and continuing forward).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

That message, for those of us (like myself) who will never be that good at shinesparking chains

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The last time I shine sparked was probably 12+ years ago, and I didn't particularly enjoy it then.

Oh well, gotta get that 100%

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

The last time I shine sparked was probably 12+ years ago, and I didn't particularly enjoy it then.

Oh well, gotta get that 100%

Fortunately the video linked above isn't a requirement for 100%, it's a total side thing, which is good since you have a narrow window of opportunity to get it and the skills required for it are insane, although the game does have plenty of easier-but-still-hard shinespark stunts you have to pull off to get some well-hidden missile packs and the like.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

univbee posted:

Fortunately the video linked above isn't a requirement for 100%, it's a total side thing, which is good since you have a narrow window of opportunity to get it and the skills required for it are insane, although the game does have plenty of easier-but-still-hard shinespark stunts you have to pull off to get some well-hidden missile packs and the like.

I never had to shine spark in fusion, but Zero mission required it for 100%

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

I never had to shine spark in fusion, but Zero mission required it for 100%

There was definitely one in Fusion that involved running back and forth on progressively-higher platforms which collapsed too quickly for non-shine sparking, but maybe there's a way to cheese it?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I've never shine sparked in my life and have beaten every metroid game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I never knew about the wall jump back in the day and would always bomb jump out of that long rear end vertical corridor.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kashuno posted:

I've never shine sparked in my life and have beaten every metroid game

Yeah, pretty sure it's never necessary to finish the game, but usually a handful of optional item packs (like missile packs, energy tanks and the like) could require it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

univbee posted:

Yeah, pretty sure it's never necessary to finish the game, but usually a handful of optional item packs (like missile packs, energy tanks and the like) could require it.

Exactly, its not needed to win, just get 100% completion.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pokémon Uranium released, get it before Nintendo DMCA's it in about 5 seconds.

http://kotaku.com/after-nine-years-work-fans-release-their-own-pokemon-1785061831

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

univbee posted:

http://kotaku.com/after-nine-years-work-fans-release-their-own-pokemon-1785061831

And it's already gone, unless the hosting died from the traffic. :(

Edit: ah no it's just the link at Kotaku that sucks. I just started the download though and it's an .msi.... is that in any way legit?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Drone posted:

The latter maybe? Try refreshing, it was wonky earlier too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Somewhere, a lawyer sighs, peels another sheet of the pad, and starts filling in the blanks.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Drone posted:

Edit: ah no it's just the link at Kotaku that sucks. I just started the download though and it's an .msi.... is that in any way legit?

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/understanding-difference-between-exe-and-msi

It should be, but as with anything you download from the Internet that involves executing code or invoking the OS, it's a matter of trust.

EDIT: Like, it appears the .MSI handles where the files for the game are copied and it makes the Registry entries and all that (so it's not necessarily harmful in and of itself), but ultimately the game executable could be clean or it could be a payload of nasty crap.

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 10, 2016

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008
Funny how we now in a matter of a week have 2 Nintendo fan projects that have been in development for so long that they are retro already.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Finished AM2R. Last boss was piss-easy and went on just a bit too long, but it had a fun twist at the end. Again, there's no save point by the boss - only at the start of the last area. None of the other Omegas or vanilla 'troids on the way gave me any trouble, either. I was kinda expecting some silly but epic TLB during the exit sequence, but it didn't come. Oh well. See you next mission.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I tore the LCD ribbon cable of a GB Pocket while trying to do a backlight upgrade :saddowns:

That film you have to remove first is a bitch and a half.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

shyduck posted:

I tore the LCD ribbon cable of a GB Pocket while trying to do a backlight upgrade :saddowns:

:rip: your GB

That's one of the reasons I haven't done it yet.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

shyduck posted:

I did this to a prototype nvidia shield :suicide:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

^^^^ edit: fuuuuck my condolences

Yeah, if you do it just be very patient. There's not a lot of room to work with due to how the cable is, and it's the most fragile cable ever made.

The rest of the work is pretty easy, in fact I got the backlight working properly without issue. It wasn't until it was fully assembled again and I had game audio that I realized there was a problem. It's like I own a Gameboy themed night light now.

Once I find a cheap enough Pocket, like something beat up, I'll just swap it again so I can tear another cable and scream.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 10, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

shyduck posted:

^^^^ edit: fuuuuck my condolences

Yeah, if you do it just be very patient. There's not a lot of room to work with due to how the cable is, and it's the most fragile cable ever made.

The rest of the work is pretty easy, in fact I got the backlight working properly without issue. It wasn't until it was fully assembled again and I had game audio that I realized there was a problem. It's like I own a Gameboy themed night light now.

Once I find a cheap enough Pocket, like something beat up, I'll just swap it again so I can tear another cable and scream.

I'll send you two pockets if you return one modded.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man I am loving playing old games on a CRT.

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/763504623764246528

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

i've been watching some dreamcast videos lately and i'm thinking about grabbing a system and a gdemu board at some point. i started looking around for the retrobit vga box only to find that it's no longer in production. the only benefit to these is being able to switch between s-video, vga and composite without having to unplug the dreamcast, yeah? i think i might just grab a vga cable instead. alternately, are there any other vga boxes people recommend in lieu of retrobit's?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

liquid courage posted:

i've been watching some dreamcast videos lately and i'm thinking about grabbing a system and a gdemu board at some point. i started looking around for the retrobit vga box only to find that it's no longer in production. the only benefit to these is being able to switch between s-video, vga and composite without having to unplug the dreamcast, yeah? i think i might just grab a vga cable instead. alternately, are there any other vga boxes people recommend in lieu of retrobit's?

The only thing a VGA box needs to do is successfully send the signal to enable VGA into the Dreamcast and then not gently caress up the wiring from the Dreamcast to the VGA port.

Any VGA box out there that has a switch to go to S-Video for games that don't play nice with VGA should do you fine (not really sure why retro-bit would have bothered to explicitly support composite out)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
A lot of boards did but you don't really even need the switch. You can unplug/plug the cable at the right time to force vga on most all games

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I just wanted to say I greatly appreciate your series of Japanese posts despite (so far) knowing everything that's in them, it's nonetheless an excellent refresher.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rirse posted:

Man I am loving playing old games on a CRT.

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/763504623764246528

thank you for reminding me I need to play this

e. I didn't even notice the crystal pepsi, amazing

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

univbee posted:

I just wanted to say I greatly appreciate your series of Japanese posts despite (so far) knowing everything that's in them, it's nonetheless an excellent refresher.

My white whale is getting an arcade board of Gradius IV. I managed to memorize the katakana table in high school in 2002, but god help me if I don't have a translation of the arcade manual to set the thing up.

I'll just stick to Latin, even though I barely pulled C's in all three semesters of it that I took.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Oh hi one of my pastimes is doing stupid poo poo with Japanese boards. If you have a manual I can help.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'll keep that in mind if I ever get ahold of that game.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

beaver_cheese posted:

I also watched a video about using nail polish retail displays for handheld and coincidentally a friend of mine found a bunch in his condo's garbage area later that same night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oreOa_rIUj0

Ha, I used their links on the video the same night they posted and one was sold out, so I got the other. I should pare down what I actually display, I ended up double stacking some of my games in the same series (final fantasy legends, Zelda GBA, 007 GBA, etc.).

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Thinking about Gradius has made me look up stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan. Someone wants 120,000 yen for this poster: http://page24.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q125666899

• Locked thread