Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BleiddWhitefalcon
Jul 30, 2014

From a few pages back, but as someone who used to live in the Baltimore area, this is completely unsurprising. They're a bunch of shitbags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Looking at Five Thirty Eight this morning, seems like the latest round of polls came in hard against Clinton. :f5h:
The only poll I can think of is the Bloomberg poll that has her up 6 points (which leans D), which would be "low" for her in that poll.

NYTimes has her up a percentage point from last night, 270-to-Win doesn't show her performance in any battleground state decreasing yet (including GA and AZ), and RCP has her up .1 from last night.

Not sure about 538's methodology here.

So, any way, back to it: :derp::derp::derp::derp:.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
With the Philippine's president calling the US Ambassador "A gay son of a whore", we really need a Philippine's madness thread to follow their goofy extra-judicial hijinks.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Goon Danton posted:

Back in '08(?) he would freak out every time Obama dropped a tenth of a point in the polls, and would be dead silent when the reverse happened.

This reminds me, we haven't heard much from CelestialScribe recently.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

Speaking of Police officers being poorly trained as gently caress, here's a Floridan officer who just accidentally got shot dead during a training exercise.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37036848

An officer? A random civilian woman was killed by an officer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah one of the nicest results of the post convention polling is that literally all the Trump trolls are gone. The token Trump gimmick YCS IK had a full on meltdown yesterday and admitted Trump is hosed. It's been great!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

With the Philippine's president calling the US Ambassador "A gay son of a whore", we really need a Philippine's madness thread to follow their goofy extra-judicial hijinks.

Well he is an out and proud gay, and his mother was a whore in order to survive at one point. He doesn't hide any of these facts and isn't ashamed, and his mother in interviews says it was a bad time in her life and she's proud of her family for making it through.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

zoux posted:

The token Trump gimmick YCS IK had a full on meltdown yesterday and admitted Trump is hosed. It's been great!

Can you link this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

greatn posted:

Well he is an out and proud gay, and his mother was a whore in order to survive at one point. He doesn't hide any of these facts and isn't ashamed, and his mother in interviews says it was a bad time in her life and she's proud of her family for making it through.

:ssh: You're missing the point. And I doubt this guy was mentioning it as praise for how far he has come.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

zoux posted:

Yeah one of the nicest results of the post convention polling is that literally all the Trump trolls are gone. The token Trump gimmick YCS IK had a full on meltdown yesterday and admitted Trump is hosed. It's been great!

Wait Boosted broke? Do you have a page number?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

Can you link this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680205&pagenumber=7837&perpage=40#post463016870

I was actually skeptical about how this 2nd amendment thing would play on the right until I saw this. If this guy can't defend it, Trump is in real trouble.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Demon Of The Fall posted:

In other policing news, a mentally handicapped man sleeping in his yard has cops in armored vehicles and machine guns roll up mistaking him for a carjacking suspect. When he runs towards one of their tanks after they throw flash grenades and shoot rubber bullets at him, he's shot dead.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...omepage%2Fstory

The worst part is that at the same time they were blasting this guy away from a bearcat they were arresting the actual carjacking suspect two houses down. Their response in the aftermath was to report for weeks in the media that this guy was a second suspect and their shooting was justified when they knew all along it was horseshit.

The victim was known locally in the neighborhood as "Lil Bo Peep" because he was so timid and shy :smith:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

But Hillary's probability of getting EC-screwed is higher than Trump's, which indicates a structural advantage for Trump. What am I missing here?

Hillary is much more likely to win the popular vote than Trump, full stop. Therefore, her likelihood of doing that but losing the electoral college is higher.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: You're missing the point. And I doubt this guy was mentioning it as praise for how far he has come.

Well I made that post up on the fly, I don't know if that's true.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

James Garfield posted:

Hillary's probability of getting EC-screwed is higher because Trump will probably lose the popular vote, and you can't get EC-screwed if you lose the popular vote.
Nope, I just looked at the state-by-state data and looked at what would happen if Trump were to get a completely uniform 7% bump in the polls (enough to bring him exactly even with Hillary). The result would be that he would take Iowa, Florida, Ohio, Nevada, and NH, just barely getting over 269.

That indicates that (as the polls stand today, and understanding that this is likely to change with any new polls) Trump has a structural advantage. A tied popular vote would go to Trump.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

The only poll I can think of is the Bloomberg poll that has her up 6 points (which leans D), which would be "low" for her in that poll.

NYTimes has her up a percentage point from last night, 270-to-Win doesn't show her performance in any battleground state decreasing yet (including GA and AZ), and RCP has her up .1 from last night.

Not sure about 538's methodology here.

So, any way, back to it: :derp::derp::derp::derp:.

I'm just curious here, but when was the last Bloomberg poll, and what were it's results?

Of course, I don't know if this one really reflects the post "2nd Amendment" comments of Trump.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Is there any use in calling my idiot senator Toomey's office and asking if he's willing to denounce Trump yet? Beyond my own amusement that is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

I'm just curious here, but when was the last Bloomberg poll, and what were it's results?

Of course, I don't know if this one really reflects the post "2nd Amendment" comments of Trump.

June, C+12

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Quorum posted:

Basically, the US is actually late to the Copyright Is Life + 70 Party, and the rest of Europe was already there way before we were. There's pretty much nothing about the US's IP laws that's weird or uniquely bad.

Do you actually think it will stay life + 70?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Goon Danton posted:

Is there any use in calling my idiot senator Toomey's office and asking if he's willing to denounce Trump yet? Beyond my own amusement that is.

Well, the amusement of this thread should count for something. :D

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hillary really really really wants to crush the everliving poo poo out of the GOP doesn't she.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/hillary-clinton-pitches-mormon-voters-in-utah-newspaper-op-e?utm_term=.gcENnLW8ym#.vrLbeZlP6g

quote:

Hillary Clinton will pitch her candidacy to Mormon voters in Utah with an op-ed Wednesday in the church-owned Deseret News.
“I’ve been fighting to defend religious freedom for years,” Clinton writes in an excerpt of the op-ed provided to BuzzFeed News. “As secretary of state, I made it a cornerstone of our foreign policy to protect the rights of religious minorities around the world — from Coptic Christians in Egypt, to Buddhists in Tibet.”
While members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have traditionally been some of the most reliably Republican voters in the country, they have been strongly resistant to Donald Trump’s candidacy this year. Several Utah polls have shown Clinton within striking distance of Trump. Meanwhile, two third-party candidates — Libertarian Gary Johnson, and independent conservative Evan McMullin — are headquartering their campaigns in Salt Lake City, hoping to take advantage of Trump’s struggle to connect with the electorate there.
Still, Clinton’s attempt to court voters in Utah, a state that hasn’t gone blue in a presidential election year since 1964, is striking.
Paul Edwards, editor and publisher of the Deseret News, said, “Given the interest that has been focused on Utah voters this year, we reached out to both campaigns and were very pleased that Secretary Clinton would be willing to speak directly to Deseret News readers.”
The paper’s opinion editor told BuzzFeed News they have made several attempts to contact the Trump campaign and have so far not heard back; he said they hope the Republican nominee will take them up on their offer.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

At some point you have to wonder if they are specifically trying to reach the peak of corruption.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

But if Hillary goes after all these conservative votes instead of pivoting further to the left I'll be forced to vote for *rolls dice* Peeta Lindsey.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dexo posted:

Hillary really really really wants to crush the everliving poo poo out of the GOP doesn't she.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/hillary-clinton-pitches-mormon-voters-in-utah-newspaper-op-e?utm_term=.gcENnLW8ym#.vrLbeZlP6g

If there's anyone on the face of the earth that hates the GOP more than her, present them to me and I'll buy you a bridge.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Buddhists in Tibet? Now China will deploy its l33t hacker armies to rig the vote for Trump! :derp:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Goon Danton posted:

May as well, both for amusement and because influence is an aggregate (if you aren't a billionaire or a major lobbyist). Add yourself to the volume of calls on the issue.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Dexo posted:

The best part is that the newspaper reached out to both campaigns and Clinton's was like "Yeah sure!" and no one at Trump's picked up the phone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

I think she's actually having fun out there.

It's interesting because the Clinton campaign basically agreed to cede all media cycles to Trump, and it's loving murdering him. Like, have you heard poo poo about the Clinton campaign besides that one guy getting into her rally? The release small statements about whatever giant gently caress up he just did, but basically they are just staying out of his way and letting him kill himself in the media, and focus on exploiting his historically weak campaign org by forcing them to defend GA, AZ and now UT.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/763399383186538500

Oh man can you imagine if Christie was the VP candidate right now

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Luigi Thirty posted:

But if Hillary goes after all these conservative votes instead of pivoting further to the left I'll be forced to vote for *rolls dice* Peeta Lindsey.

Seriously, what's beautiful about what Clinton is doing is that she has conceded ABSOLUTELY NOTING to the right to peel their votes away from Trump. She got Blomberg to poo poo on Trump while conceding exactly ZERO planks of the party platform. Her entire pitch to them is, "We agree on nothing, but I'm not the pumpkin pissbaby of chaos, so vote for more or you're an idiot."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dexo posted:

Yes, because she is well aware of what it means to win a historic landslide victory against the guy who scored a record-breaking victory in the GOP primary. This is who the GOP nominated, and not by a small margin. Crushing him like a rat under a truck tire can be spun as her taking the best the GOP could muster and beating the poo poo out of him so badly she cracks the GOP hold on states they've held for 52 years. They hosed up and they hosed up bad, and if she's anywhere near wise she's going to punish them ruthlessly for it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zoux posted:

It's interesting because the Clinton campaign basically agreed to cede all media cycles to Trump, and it's loving murdering him. Like, have you heard poo poo about the Clinton campaign besides that one guy getting into her rally? The release small statements about whatever giant gently caress up he just did, but basically they are just staying out of his way and letting him kill himself in the media, and focus on exploiting his historically weak campaign org by forcing them to defend GA, AZ and now UT.

So Hillary is Brett Farve.

Just hope she doesn't throw that election losing interception in the NFC Title game.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Antti posted:

The best part is that the newspaper reached out to both campaigns and Clinton's was like "Yeah sure!" and no one at Trump's picked up the phone.

Some of the guys in the Trump thread regularly call Trump campaign offices in swing states and they are still being redirected to un-set-up voice mailboxes. Like in FL and PA, it's crazy. One guy signed up to volunteer, just as a test, in OH and IN and he still hasn't heard from them. He isn't even getting campaign fundraising emails, it's insane. If you contact any Hillary campaign organ, give them your email and say "I'm interested in volunteering", they'll never leave you alone. It's bonkers.

I know that in the primary, Trump repeatedly violated every precept of campaign conventional wisdom and won, and that's made us a little Grand Pronouncement shy, but if campaign organization, logistics and strategy matter at all, Trump is hosed. He's behind in this area in ways you can't just snap your fingers and fix, it's something you had to start building ages ago.

If campaign fundamentals actually don't matter, the country is hosed because every election is going to be like this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

Publicly fingered in the butt for a broken headlight:

New Chuck Tingle book title.

zoux posted:

Ryan said at a press conference that he hadn't heard what Trump said and then a reporter was like "here I'll read it" and he was all NO!

Please tell me there's video

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah he was absolutely calling him a human being in the pejorative sense.

I'd start a Philippines thread, but I don't know if there'd be any interest in it, and it'd just be me posting the latest insane poo poo that the President said. Here's a cross-post from a write-up I made in the Politoons thread compiling the week so far:

gradenko_2000 posted:

This Sunday, the President read and released a list of more than 150 officials that he claims is or was involved in the drug trade. The list is simply names, with no corroborating evidence, and no official charges have been filed against any of the people named.

Some of the officials named on the list were members of the judiciary. The Chief Justice of the country's Supreme Court wrote a letter to the President, clarifying that a number of the Judges named in the list could not possibly have had links to the drug trade anymore, because they're either dead, or resigned, or are handling cases and trials that do not involve drugs.

The Chief Justice also instructed her Judges to please not voluntarily surrender themselves (as others have done) until and unless charges have been filed against them. She also asked that they be issued licenses to carry firearms for personal defense (as the expectation is that being named as a drug-involved figure will leave one open to being attacked by vigilante groups).

The President then shot back with a threat of declaring Martial Law, if the Judiciary will not "cooperate". This was followed up by a statement today by the President's chief legal counsel claiming that he would be entirely within his rights to do so, given the purported gravity of the drug situation in the country.

This dovetails with him threatening to close down Congress during his election campaign. He made that threat again last week while talking about changing the country's Constitution.

He's also recently allowed the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos to be given a heroes' burial (the American equivalent would be the Arlington National Cemetery), and called the US Ambassador to the Philippines a human being.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

zoux posted:

I imagine Clinton keeps trying to schedule these hardcore strategy meetings, and then this happens:

:j: So what's our plan of attack today?

:v: Well, ma'am, we have this...

*zzt*

:confused: Sorry, we just got a notification... Trump just insulted Mom, Apple Pie, and... Jackson, Mississippi?

:j: Well, that's a wrap for today everyone. See you here tomorrow!

:haw: Hay guys, lunch is on me at the BBQ Exchange!

:j: You're such a card, Tim!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

zoux posted:

Some of the guys in the Trump thread regularly call Trump campaign offices in swing states and they are still being redirected to un-set-up voice mailboxes. Like in FL and PA, it's crazy. One guy signed up to volunteer, just as a test, in OH and IN and he still hasn't heard from them. He isn't even getting campaign fundraising emails, it's insane. If you contact any Hillary campaign organ, give them your email and say "I'm interested in volunteering", they'll never leave you alone. It's bonkers.

I'm not American but in 2008 out of sheer curiosity I signed up for some Obama for America newsletter thing. Holy mother of gently caress, I got mail until 2012 when I unsubscribed and redirected it all to spam.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

zoux posted:

I know that in the primary, Trump repeatedly violated every precept of campaign conventional wisdom and won, and that's made us a little Grand Pronouncement shy, but if campaign organization, logistics and strategy matter at all, Trump is hosed. He's behind in this area in ways you can't just snap your fingers and fix, it's something you had to start building ages ago.

If campaign fundamentals actually don't matter, the country is hosed because every election is going to be like this.

Bruh I donated like 10 dollars to Hillary's campaign once in like april or may, after it was clear she was winning the nomination

I had to create a gmail filter and separate folder to stop all the freaking emails I'm receiving. Really glad I decided not to give them my phone number.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Antti posted:

I'm not American but in 2008 out of sheer curiosity I signed up for some Obama for America newsletter thing. Holy mother of gently caress, I got mail until 2012 when I unsubscribed and redirected it all to spam.

I'm pretty sure the 2008 Obama campaign created the precursor to Skynet with that thing.

Still worth it. :awesomelon::hf: :obama:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

zoux posted:

I was in downtown Raleigh, NC last week killing some time during the day and I got stopped several times by democrat volunteers wanting to sign me up to vote.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Ted Strickland: Most D&D Senate Candidate?

quote:

Strickland: Scalia's Death Happened at a "good time"

Democratic Senate candidate Ted Strickland apologized Wednesday for telling union members in audio posted online this week that Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's death came at a "good time."

"I mean, the death of Scalia saved labor from a terrible decision," Strickland said, according to the audio, which was recorded during an address to the Cleveland chapter of the AFL-CIO and flagged by the Washington Examiner. "And I don't wish anyone ill, but it happened at a good time because once that decision had been made, it would have been tough to reverse it."

Strickland was referring to Friedrichs v. California Teachers Association, a Supreme Court case that was tied 4-4 in June. The decision likely would have come down against unions if Scalia, who died in February, had been on the bench. Because of the deadlock, the ruling protected the right of public unions to collect money from individuals who wanted to abstain from union activities, at least for now.

Strickland argued during his appearance at the AFL-CIO meeting that "a lot of average citizens out there don't understand the importance of that court."

The Ohio Senate candidate said Wednesday in a statement released to TPM that the comment "was an insensitive remark, and I apologize."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Antti posted:

Yeah I don't know what's worse, donating to a political campaign or donating to NPR.

• Locked thread