Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Garland/Chaos 2016
We will knock you all down...with our firm yet compassionate foreign policy!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gologle posted:

My favorite part of the Final Fantasy series is when a Chocobo articulates in its own way that it loves its partner and owner.

chocobo dungeon wii has the best animations

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vayne could conceivably run for president of the US in 2016

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm probably not the first one to say this but the food in FFXV looks delicious.

Probably the best looking video game food after Snake Eater

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm probably not the first one to say this but the food in FFXV looks delicious.

yeah sure but whats the villain's political affiliations?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
About to pick up 13-2 and LR for the first time after playing 13 on release and not since.

Here is what I remember about 13: Chocobo hair and Lesbians.

Should I play 13-2 first or does it matter? Metacritic has them rated about the same but I honestly don't even remember which came out first.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Huxley posted:

About to pick up 13-2 and LR for the first time after playing 13 on release and not since.

Should I play 13-2 first or does it matter? Metacritic has them rated about the same but I honestly don't even remember which came out first.

FF13-2 rewrites FF13's ending and Lightning Returns continues where FF13-2 left off.

FF13-2 tried to respond to criticism on FFXIII's linearity and it's alright in my opinion. It definitely isn't any worse than the original.

I hate Lightning Returns. Maybe it's because they decided to make the godawful NPC storylines the main focus which are really dumb, even by JRPG standards.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrBSO74DzA

Stop watching at 4 minutes if you want to play 13-2.

13-2 is to 13 as 10-2 is to 10, reuses assets in addition to some new assets to provide an open ended sort of game where you sort of choose missions from a list. A lot of people really like that set up, but between the nature of the set up and the flabby combat balance its my least favorite of the trilogy. Its worth it if you like dramatic anime voice actor as a boss with the best/silliest choral music of any Final Fantasy. I shudder to think how weeabo I would have been if I had to grow up with Caius instead of Sephiroth as ultimate Final Fantasy villain.

LR follows 13-2, but the video sums up everything you need to know. There is subtext that basically calls the plots of the past two games idiotic. Otherwise its a legit good open world RPG with a new combat system that is really good.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Huxley posted:

13-2s story is incomprehensible and LR is basically Valkyrie Profile with a FFXIII skin. It doesnt matter whixh you play first.

Play 13-2 first and if you dont like it, skip it. You can move on to LR without being any more or less confused about what is going on.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
13-2 is a Final Fantasy game and LR is good so if either of those things appeal to you go for it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gologle posted:

My favorite part of the Final Fantasy series is when a Chocobo articulates in its own way that it loves its partner and owner.
I want to ride that Chocobo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm replaying FFX for what must be the tenth time now and I'm always surprised how short of a game it actually is. Like, FFX probably has the largest and most extensive endgame and side objectives in any FF ever besides arguably FFXII, but as a straight-line narrative the entirety of FF can be beaten in, like, twenty hours or so.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Trasson posted:

It really depends on what jobs you have for Ramza. However, at absolute worst, chances are the option of "walk up, attack, hope for high damage crit a couple of times" is there. It's not ideal, but there you go. I mean, what have you been spending your time in? Go through all your jobs; chances are there's some ability or other you can get from spillover JP. Golem, Haste, Protect, X-Potion, Nature's Wrath :ducksiren:Auto-Potion:ducksiren:, Regenerate: these are all fairly low JP cost abilities in common classes that can supplement any bog standard Knight/Ubersquire sword swinging strategy. OF course, if you've got Black Mage/Summoner JP and an elemental/Wizard Rod, you can probably just throw down spells/summons. If you're concerned about HP, Ramza's Squire has less but still acceptable MA, can equip robes, and still has nice HP.

In short, chances are you have some sort of action. And seriously, how were you not clued in on having multiple save slots at this point? Lesson learned, I suppose.

Maybe I could have found something - I had a bit of spillover JP in the magic classes (was doing a run with melee Ramza and a bunch of casters). I just restarted tho. Only 18 hours gone :c00l:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It would have taken less effort to list what your character has, but I probably wouldn't understand half the name changes.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Just throwing this out there but there's a good goon LP of tactics you could read while you skip ahead to A2

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

Vanillaware games have the best food

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Huxley posted:

13-2 is boring

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Just throwing this out there but there's a good goon LP of tactics you could read while you skip ahead to A2

I'm not sure how the Germonik Scriptures would land if you hadn't been playing the game for 10+ hours beforehand, just scrolling through pictures. Tough to condone this plan!

I absolutely think everyone should read Elentor's FFVII LP though, even if you're deeply familiar with the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

13-2 is my rear end

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Toxxupation posted:

I'm replaying FFX for what must be the tenth time now and I'm always surprised how short of a game it actually is. Like, FFX probably has the largest and most extensive endgame and side objectives in any FF ever besides arguably FFXII, but as a straight-line narrative the entirety of FF can be beaten in, like, twenty hours or so.

I finished it for the first time a couple months ago (normally got to Zanarkandish on preceding playthroughs) and i was amazed how fast i did it, including getting Zodiac weapons for Rikku, Yuna and Auron which I'd not done before, and all the Aeons.

Admittedly i used the speed booster thing for running around during stuff like the cactuars for Rikku but on the whole the game is really well paced; you don't linger anywhere really unless you choose to do so. I guess knowing the game helps a lot too

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Baal posted:

13-2 is my rear end

im sorry your rear end is so boring :(

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like 13-2 and I guess Baal's rear end??

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Congratulations on enjoying my rear end

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Get that rear end in some butt pants and we'll talk

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
We call them hot pants over here.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gologle posted:

We call them hot pants over here.

I believe we call them Yuna pants here

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Maybe he's talking about Ramza's pants that cover everything except his rear end.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Whizbang posted:

Maybe he's talking about Ramza's pants that cover everything except his rear end.

Bingo

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Whizbang posted:

Gologle, missing a point?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I laughed.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Huxley posted:

XIII-2 is my favorite game in the trilogy and one of my favorite FF games overall. A poster compared it to X-2 and this holds true in a lot of ways, not just in terms of gameplay. XIII-2 is very silly to contrast with XIII's persistent seriousness. It has only two playable characters but you collect monsters to fill out your third party slot. It's kind of neat but may hurt the game if you don't like Serah or Noel. On the other hand, you can put a propeller hat on a tonberry.

As should be expected, the music is loving amazing. Like the game itself, it's rather schizophrenic and has all genres ever.From start to finish, the OST is brilliant.

In addition to all this there are tons of puzzles, quiz games, multiple endings,, QTE's, dialogue choices (that don't matter much but can be fun) and so much more. It is the "let's throw everything at a wall and see what sticks" of the FF series in a lot of ways.

Also despite her being plastered all over the game's cover and logo and stuff, Lightning is in about .5% of the game and is mostly irrelevant. This was a big selling point for me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lightning is cool

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

FFXIII-2 has a boss you, and I'm being 100% serious here and not exaggerating in the slightest, beat by yelling at it so hard the yell travels back in time so the boss' inventor (it's a robot) hears that yell and decides to not build the robot, because he heard your yell and realized he'd gently caress up by inventing it. The boss then winks out of existence, having been defeated by causality paradox. This chain of events is so unlikely-bordering-on-impossible that the game recommends against you doing so and presents more reasonable, logical options, such as "Fight it" and "Convince it to stand down" and "gently caress up its programming" so the real solution seems like the obvious joke answer the game included as a goof, until you realize all the other solutions just make the battle repeat endlessly and the "joke" solution is the only viable one.

FFXIII-2 is the greatest Final Fantasy game ever made.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Yeah, FFXIII-2 is pretty rad. I wish every game had the ability to just let me tell Hope to gently caress off and have that be the answer to the fight.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 11, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You might want to spoiler that, I dunno. Toxxupation at least seemed to be purposefully trying to not give any specific details away.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like the only sense in which LR is a Valkyrie profile game is that lightning is a Valkyrie and it was made by tri-Ace. I don't really see any further similarities

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

fronz posted:

I feel like the only sense in which LR is a Valkyrie profile game is that lightning is a Valkyrie and it was made by tri-Ace. I don't really see any further similarities

so a game in which you play a valkyrie tasked to save souls before the coming of the end of the world and you have a time limit to do so, featuring a similar battle system and developed by tri-ace (with a final fantasy world, characters and plot painted on top of it) doesnt have a lot of similarities? Right.

its quite obvious it was being developed as a VP game by tri-ace until Square converted it into a FF game because they thought it would sell better.

anyway

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Also side and main quests that if they follow any logic at all, its dream logic.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a VP game where they hit the brakes and decided better let Lightning return instead, there's enough stuff different (things don't even fall off enemies!) that it's believable they had all hands on deck on 15 and Toriyama wanted to make Lightning a cool valkyrie anyway so that Tri-ace were a natural partner.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

TommyGun85 posted:

so a game in which you play a valkyrie tasked to save souls before the coming of the end of the world and you have a time limit to do so

Replace Valkyrie with Reporter and end of the world with town getting nuked and you've just described Dead Rising. That was my first thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Everyone who worked on or approved Academia 400 AF should be blacklisted from the industry.