Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

keseph posted:

Pissing me off: Me.
Spend an hour writing and testing a powershell script for my lab, cleaning it up, etc. Go to save it. There's a script with almost that same name already. Because I wrote the same thing six months ago and saved it for later reuse and promptly forgot.

My friend, time to setup that powershell repository

https://richardspowershellblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/04/creating-a-powershellget-repository/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I think I kind of get why mechanics are usually grouchy and/or miserable; moving desk and computer poo poo around all day, re-cabling things for the nth time, and people still badger you with their stupid bullshit.

You can gently caress off with your urgent requests and asking when are you getting set up, half the day is done and I'm over half way complete and getting quite tired and sweaty... I kind of wish I called in our MSP for an extra hand to do lovely donkey work.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Today's crypto virus: ZEPTO.

Of course discovered shortly before everyone leaves for the day.
Well, it's reported and escalated, not my problem from here.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
"Holding people accountable to hard deadlines" or expecting people to be flexible to unplanned work. PICK ONE. :argh:

I'm about to blow every one of my deadlines this week because of people needing their hand held while they do their job (I'm not a team lead gtfo and ask the lead or your manager), or unexpected issues in data, or unexpected last minute requirements in changes by the client.

I have about twelve hours of work due by EOB today and I haven't started because of the above-listed bullshit. :jerkbag:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
An AT&T tech has been at my house for five hours trying to restore my uverse connection. He's called in reinforcements and the engineer said he doesn't understand how it ever worked. My neighborhood was 'wired by people with their heads up their asses'

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

tactlessbastard posted:

An AT&T tech has been at my house for five hours trying to restore my uverse connection. He's called in reinforcements and the engineer said he doesn't understand how it ever worked. My neighborhood was 'wired by people with their heads up their asses'

Do you live in SF?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MiniFoo posted:

Do you live in SF?

It's AT&T, I'm pretty sure shoddy work done by idiots in the 90s is the gold standard

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MiniFoo posted:

Do you live in SF?

Little Rock.

Edit: 6 hours now.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Been through that, replace/repair something obviously broken, and find every other thing bypassed and wired backwards.

Like you make one fuckup and want to be lazy, but you keep stacking them up until the only gently caress up left is that you labeled it right in the end.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

tactlessbastard posted:

MiniFoo posted:

Do you live in SF?

AT&T :airquote: pre-wired :airquote: my apartment.. 6 drops, 3 rooms.. they only punched two wires on each block.. These are all terminated with RJ-45 ports. :allears:

I told the WebPass guy he could rip everything out and I'd fix the rest later.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This woman types her whole email in the subject line. I told her not to do that.

Sure, didn’t realize it was a problem as I can see full message at this end

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Subject: since upgrading to Office 2013 I can't read my entire email like before, I need my emails NOW
Body: --end of line--

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Outlook puts little scroll bars so you can read the whole message. I mean subject!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Not quite that bad, but we've got a guy who will modify a subject based on whose attention he wants, and then keep modifying it, and all in caps, so once you get a little reply chain going with a few departments there's emails flying around that are like "RE: IT ATTN PLS RE: PRESSING DEV ISSUE RE: BUILD ISSUES RE: New Build Started" - once in a while I'll just reply all and prune the subject down. I'm hoping he confronts me one day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

For some reason, before I was here, the company purchased everyone who was management a laptop. So they could 'work from home'. Anyway, over the years we have upgraded Office, changed VPN hardware, we don't use remote desktop anymore... The people who actually use their laptops have brought them in each time we've asked to have new software installed etc.

These laptops usually get used by employee's kids and brought in for virus removal every couple months. Bah.

So today the HR lady took her laptop for a morning trip to one of our office that's 2 hours away. Of course, she hasn't had her laptop in here for 3-4 years so she doesn't have any of the updates.

"I can't get on the VPN"
You don't need the VPN, you're at one of our offices. You can just plug into the ethernet cable at the empty desk and use your mapped drives, our intranet, Outlook...

"The wireless doesn't work"
It works, it's just a guest network with no access to the inside. Nobody wanted to spend the money to setup wireless over there, because everyone at the location has a desktop. So we literally found a router in the dumpster and set it up on an extra IP on the cable modem so customers could use wifi.

"So I can't just get my email using the wifi?"
Sure you can. But Outlook isn't setup because you never brought your laptop in when we switched to hosted Exchange in 2012. So you have to go to 'mail.ourcompany.com' and just enter your email address and password. Also isn't your iPhone working?

"I'm leaving here at noon! I need this now!"
You're not that far away, lady.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Bob Morales posted:

"I'm leaving here at noon! I need this now!"
I don't understand why an IT department can't do one simple thing, which is to make all of my things work with all of my other things before I realize I'll need them to.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I can't wait until she brings it in today when she comes back. Fucker is going to be in the top 5 nastiest laptops ever. Just covered in food and drinks and cat hair and dust and poo poo. Ugh.

edit: we also got in trouble once for 'offending' someone by cleaning their laptop before we gave it back

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

edit: we also got in trouble once for 'offending' someone by cleaning their laptop before we gave it back

:aaaaa:

How does anybody in the world not immediately recognize that 'offense' for the embarrassment it really is.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:aaaaa:

How does anybody in the world not immediately recognize that 'offense' for the embarrassment it really is.

TO some people being embarrassed is offensive, so pointing out something embarrassing is an attack on their person.

"You cleaned my laptop? Are you trying to imply that I am a slob or something?!?!?!"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SeaborneClink posted:

AT&T :airquote: pre-wired :airquote: my apartment.. 6 drops, 3 rooms.. they only punched two wires on each block.. These are all terminated with RJ-45 ports. :allears:

You can still plug a telephone in!

:goonsay:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

RFC2324 posted:

TO some people being embarrassed is offensive, so pointing out something embarrassing is an attack on their person.

"You cleaned my laptop? Are you trying to imply that I am a slob or something?!?!?!"

Yes. That is exactly what I'm telling you.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ChubbyThePhat posted:

nooo I'd rather you give the laptop back in it's disgusting state so I can pretend you're not judging me.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ChubbyThePhat posted:

And this is what they think:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

nooo I'd rather you give the laptop back in it's disgusting state so I can pretend you're not judging me.

And because they take it so personally, as an insult instead of criticism, they go to HR or whatever, who can't even believe this poo poo has made it to HR.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

RFC2324 posted:

This is why I reign in the sarcasm in public -- mine would otherwise be "poo poo, that looks good, can you do my phone too"?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

When someone hands you a laptop so dirty it smells... :cry:

At the ad agency I worked at everyone was on PowerBooks so the disgusting grime was evident on all the silver surfaces. One guy who otherwise appeared to be a clean person handed his in and sweet mother of God it was like it had spent the last five years in a phone booth at the bus depot. I don't know how many Clorox wipes I went through to scrub off the evil.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

When someone hands you a laptop so dirty it smells... :cry:

At the ad agency I worked at everyone was on PowerBooks so the disgusting grime was evident on all the silver surfaces. One guy who otherwise appeared to be a clean person handed his in and sweet mother of God it was like it had spent the last five years in a phone booth at the bus depot. I don't know how many Clorox wipes I went through to scrub off the evil.

To be fair, some of those old Apple laptops had this lovely plastic that absorbed sweat and then it went stale, resulting in a laptop the had a bo stench that never went away.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Outlook puts little scroll bars so you can read the whole message. I mean subject!

People who write emails in the subject are my favorite people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Consultant just told me he was going to leave if we couldn't find a room with air conditioning to put him in. I love this building/company.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The Fool posted:

To be fair, some of those old Apple laptops had this lovely plastic that absorbed sweat and then it went stale, resulting in a laptop the had a bo stench that never went away.

I'm talking about the silver aluminum ones. The only thing those absorbed was punishment. One staffer came back form a trip with a dent in the side that looked like a mule had kicked it. That was the interesting thing about a metal-bodied laptop: every ding was visible. Plastic ones mostly scuff up a bit unless they outright break from an impact, but the PowerBooks revealed all insults, large and small.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Bob Morales posted:

Consultant just told me he was going to leave if we couldn't find a room with air conditioning to put him in. I love this building/company.

Always giving 110% .. of heat.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bob Morales posted:

I can't wait until she brings it in today when she comes back. Fucker is going to be in the top 5 nastiest laptops ever. Just covered in food and drinks and cat hair and dust and poo poo. Ugh.

I would say I was offended for having to clean up after somebody else's disgusting habits. "Oh, well okay then. We'll just return disgusting things to their users and they can clean them before submitting them. I don't want to catch the plague."

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ynglaur posted:

I would say I was offended for having to clean up after somebody else's disgusting habits. "Oh, well okay then. We'll just return disgusting things to their users and they can clean them before submitting them. I don't want to catch the plague."

:derptiel: BUT I WAS SAVING THOSE BAGEL CRUMBS FOR LATER

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

MF_James posted:

:derptiel: BUT I WAS SAVING THOSE BAGEL CRUMBS FOR LATER

:barf:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

SeaborneClink posted:

You only need two pairs for 100 meg

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

lampey posted:

You only need two pairs for 100 meg

:cmon:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I was trying to give some Exchange permissions to a user. My usual script seems to fail, it doesn't show the permission as applied.

So after investigating, it turns out that, because the user's SAMAccountName is a prefix of the name of a built-in security principal, Exchange for some reason selected the security principal instead of the user account?!
The only way to get it working was to specify the user in the old-style DOMAIN\USER form, none of DN, AD-path, GUID or UPN accepted.
Piece of poo poo, Exchange.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

I was trying to give some Exchange permissions to a user. My usual script seems to fail, it doesn't show the permission as applied.

So after investigating, it turns out that, because the user's SAMAccountName is a prefix of the name of a built-in security principal, Exchange for some reason selected the security principal instead of the user account?!
The only way to get it working was to specify the user in the old-style DOMAIN\USER form, none of DN, AD-path, GUID or UPN accepted.
Piece of poo poo, Exchange.
It sounds like your script is using -Anr to find the mailbox.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

anthonypants posted:

It sounds like your script is using -Anr to find the mailbox.

Our Exchange setup is really strange, it was originally 2007, later upgraded to 2010, now most users are on 2013 but still a 2010+2013 mixed environment. I needed to assign Send-As permissions for a user to a shared mailbox, where the only way for us is Add-ADPermission -Identity $sharedMailboxDN -User $userSAMAccountName -ExtendedRights "Send-As" - and at that point it picked an object from NT AUTHORITY instead of the intended domain user, based on the -User parameter.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

Our Exchange setup is really strange, it was originally 2007, later upgraded to 2010, now most users are on 2013 but still a 2010+2013 mixed environment. I needed to assign Send-As permissions for a user to a shared mailbox, where the only way for us is Add-ADPermission -Identity $sharedMailboxDN -User $userSAMAccountName -ExtendedRights "Send-As" - and at that point it picked an object from NT AUTHORITY instead of the intended domain user, based on the -User parameter.
Is there a reason you need to use Add-ADPermission instead of Add-MailboxPermission?

e: I guess it's because Add-MailboxPermission doesn't do send-as rights. That's dumb.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Is there a reason you need to use Add-ADPermission instead of Add-MailboxPermission?

e: I guess it's because Add-MailboxPermission doesn't do send-as rights. That's dumb.

Yep exactly, so I have some home-built wrappers that do both. But can apparently fail on a few edge cases, like this one.
I think Send-As has been rolled into MailboxPermission in 2013 or 2016 schema, but since we still have a few old servers running, the schema is locked to the old one.