Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How do you cook your books when you get paid per mile going from point a to point b?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you cook your books when you get paid per mile going from point a to point b?

You lie about how long it took you because regulations say you have to stop and sleep after driving x hours, but the quicker you turn around the more money you make in a pay period.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How do you lie about how long it took? Are they just now starting to keep track of when stuff departs and arrives?

Or do the people in charge just not care as long as they have plausible deniability?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's because you get paid by mile. If I pay you 50 cents a mile and you go 100 miles, you made $50. Well, if you go 1,000 miles, you get $500. But to go 1,000 miles, you need to spend 16 hours on the road, which is against USDOT regulations. So if you take Sunday off, you can say that some of those hours from the week that you spent 20 hour days were actually on Sunday. (numbers round for easy maffs)

Collateral Damage posted:

A bit late, but I figure most people just pageskip past the AV shitposting anyway. A large reason behind truckers being very anti-technology is that it makes it harder for them to cook their journal. Journal tampering is extremely widespread in the trucking business, for a variety of reasons.
Exactly. HOS is a huge cluster right now and no one wants to go down to having their hours tracked. The worse part is that this is targeting transportation specifically - but a lot of industries that aren't transportation-first are having to buy these, too. I'm betting quite a few construction companies aren't on the ball come Jan 1, 2018.

Collateral Damage posted:

Also Butt2Butt strikes again.

Stop butting up my clowds. :v:

Edit:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you lie about how long it took? Are they just now starting to keep track of when stuff departs and arrives?

Or do the people in charge just not care as long as they have plausible deniability?

When you get pulled over for a roadside inspection, all you have is your HOS log. State Inspector Guy isn't going to call everywhere you've been to gather load and unload arrival/departure times to verify the HOS. For most transportation companies, that's not just, like, Kroger's distribution to Kroger's store a bunch of times. That's Kroger, Safeway, Albertsons, and Piggly Wiggly all in the same week. Your Inspector ain't got time to call every company, get through the tape to find the right person to ask and then wait for that person to get back to him for the verification.

That's why NHTSA is mandating the HOS devices on their trucks: To be able to actually verify with GPS and other fun technology that you aren't a lying scumbag.

Most companies don't care because their stuff gets done faster and they can't be directly charged for it.

Arsten fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 10, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Arsten posted:

but a lot of industries that aren't transportation-first are having to buy these, too. I'm betting quite a few construction companies aren't on the ball come Jan 1, 2018.

Do these things have to be installed in cars, or can they be carried? I'm thinking about how my first job had most of the field techs in their own cars.

Are these things basically tattlers?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do these things have to be installed in cars, or can they be carried? I'm thinking about how my first job had most of the field techs in their own cars.

Are these things basically tattlers?

These are installed on all DOT vehicles that are 10,001 pounds or heavier in combination (vehicle+trailer). This excludes all non-commercial vehicles (RVs, your F350 with Truck Nuts and Boat, etc). They track where the vehicle goes and who is logged on to drive while the vehicle is on. It creates an automatic Hours of Service log on that driver for that vehicles, which a state inspector can then know is accurate.

Edit: The actual tracking devices have to be installed in a fixed manner that cannot be reasonably circumvented. You can't just wander around with them. A lot of them I see are two parts. A phone/tablet and the ECM/GPS device which the phone/tablet connects to.

Arsten fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 10, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The sad part is that the truckers are going to be the ones who get screwed with these new rules, even though the rules make sense to keep tired drivers off the road. The trucking companies will still squeeze these guys as much as they can.

Our system has a tablet that connects with a device that integrates into the truck. So when the truck starts the system is activated and you can then be tracked. The drivers can use the tablet system to speed up the paperwork side of things, thats a plus for them, but many people hate using it and just stick with pen and paper and then dump it all on some regional trucking manager.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The sad part is that the truckers are going to be the ones who get screwed with these new rules, even though the rules make sense to keep tired drivers off the road. The trucking companies will still squeeze these guys as much as they can.

Our system has a tablet that connects with a device that integrates into the truck. So when the truck starts the system is activated and you can then be tracked. The drivers can use the tablet system to speed up the paperwork side of things, thats a plus for them, but many people hate using it and just stick with pen and paper and then dump it all on some regional trucking manager.

Forcing truck drivers to get enough sleep so they are not even more of a danger on the road than they already are is screwing them over??

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

psydude posted:

I think we're beginning to reach the point where the financial, legal, and political liabilities from being attacked (and having insufficient controls in place to prevent it) have surpassed the costs of implementing proper security infrastructure, governance, and personnel. Sony, OPM, Anthem, Ukraine, and now the DNC hacks have transformed the conversation from a few people in eastern Europe looking to sell credit cards to one of national security and corporate survival.

Part of the issue is that a lot of companies underestimate the risk and expense. Places that have been hit with ransomware and paid up try to keep it quiet which leads to underreporting on how common it is. We have at least a couple of customers that paid large sums to get ransomware keys but kept it quiet to avoid bad publicity. It's hard to do proper risk mitigation when you don't truly understand the likelihood of a given risk.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

Forcing truck drivers to get enough sleep so they are not even more of a danger on the road than they already are is screwing them over??

I think he means the drivers are already getting screwed and if they drive less it's not going to get any better for them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Inspector_666 posted:

I think he means the drivers are already getting screwed and if they drive less it's not going to get any better for them.

Exactly. They'll end up getting paid less. Or the risk gets shifted to them. The amount of work the trucking companies want done isnt going to change. So the truckers try to speed up more or take shortcuts to get everything done. Then if they get pulled over and fined the trucking company can just say it was the driver ignoring orders or something.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's big government keeping them from making money by restricting the number of hours they can work, not by shipping/transport small business entrepreneurs paying them as little as possible.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

anthonypants posted:

It's big government keeping them from making money by restricting the number of hours they can work, not by shipping/transport small business entrepreneurs paying them as little as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbTJ_pHbjHc

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

That's a very very good thing. They're ridiculously dangerous and problematic enough on roads already, at the very least they should be forced to be well-rested and regulated.

Then again, I've noticed for a while I'm in the minority in IT being very pro-government regulations, there are way too many goddamn libertarians in this field.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Small business? It's generally the large companies that squeeze your blood for pennies. The small businesses in the trucking industry are the drivers themselves as owner/operators. The other small businesses that hire them pay what the industry pays 9 times of 10, else they can't get any truckers.

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's a very very good thing. They're ridiculously dangerous and problematic enough on roads already, at the very least they should be forced to be well-rested and regulated.

Then again, I've noticed for a while I'm in the minority in IT being very pro-government regulations, there are way too many goddamn libertarians in this field.

Some regulation is good. Over-regulation is bad. I don't know what its' like up in Canada, but down here, we have three or more layers of "transport regulations" to sort through.

Arsten fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 10, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arsten posted:

Some regulation is good. Over-regulation is bad. I don't know what its' like up in Canada, but down here, we have three or more layers of "transport regulations" to sort through.

We have a lot of regulation and a lot of layers. But it's to the overall benefit of society. How's society down there? ;)

vvv wut

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 10, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Wow we're really gonna do this because both of you got whooshed by anthonypants?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Trucking used to be a regulated industry. Both the companies and operators pushed to abolish this back in the 80s and this is the result.

e: Yes, I know he was joking.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Inspector_666 posted:

Wow we're really gonna do this because both of you got whooshed by anthonypants?

It would seem Technology isn't going through any major changes right now and the YOTJ train has ended. What else is there to talk about except the societal differences between Canada and US by means of trucking industry analogies?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
At least it's more interesting than pro/anti-AV shitfests.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

buffbus posted:

At least it's more interesting than pro/anti-AV shitfests.

When we have self driving trucks will they need AV/Malware protection?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
NOW INSTALLING LOTLIZARD DEFENDER...

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

We have a lot of regulation and a lot of layers. But it's to the overall benefit of society. How's society down there? ;)

vvv wut

We are electing Trump or Clinton in November. How do you think it's going down here? :v:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

psydude posted:

Now let's do unions.

:regd08:

Dick Trauma posted:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Arsten posted:

We are selecting Trump or Clinton committing nationwide sepuku in November. How do you think it's going down here? :v:

ftfy

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Screw that. If all of you are killing yourselves, I'll take control. Gotta keep that :yotj: training running!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Edit: that took far too long to make (poorly)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sheep posted:

Edit: that took far too long to make (poorly)

As someone who has frequently spent way too much time working on a dumb joke and ending up with something that still looks kinda crappy, I appreciate the struggle. You did a good job.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

What kind of AV do you think clinton ran on her email server?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

*sprays water bottle at you*

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

jaegerx posted:

Clinton didn't run anything.

That's what her IT person is there for.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It was set up by a campaign staffer, which leads me to believe it was a 19 year old taking a break from working for the college help desk, since I doubt too many exchange admins are going to drop everything to go get paid pennies working for a primary campaign.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

FireSight posted:

Clinton didn't run anything.

That's what her IT person is there for.

The one time when skipping out on a good backup policy was not only required, but was applauded internally

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

GreenNight posted:

poo poo costs money, man.

We use WS FTP Ad Hoc file transfer for files over 5 megs.

This caught my eye. We started using this a few months back and while I'm not directly involved with troubleshooting it, I hear about it all the time. Things like mail getting stuck in the WS FTP outbox in outlook, and the user not realizing it never sent a week ago, needing to restart the WS_FTP connector service at times, etc.

quote:

05/04/16 07:07:42: Authentication failed: [-1] [Error -1 fault: SOAP-ENV:Client [no subcode]
"End of file or no input: Operation interrupted or timed out after 30s send or 30s receive delay"
Detail: [no detail]
]
05/04/16 07:18:23: Authentication failed: [-1] [Error -1 fault: SOAP-ENV:Client [no subcode]
"End of file or no input: Operation interrupted or timed out after 30s send or 30s receive delay"
]
05/04/16 07:19:57: Pre Processing Package - Ensuring that passwords are valid (dad0d25e-078b-4d72-bed3-ca6a57799659)
05/04/16 07:19:57: Pre Processing Package - Ensuring there is a Subject (dad0d25e-078b-4d72-bed3-ca6a57799659)
05/04/16 07:19:57: Pre Processing Package - Ensuring there are Attachments (dad0d25e-078b-4d72-bed3-ca6a57799659)
05/04/16 07:19:57: Processing Package (dad0d25e-078b-4d72-bed3-ca6a57799659)
05/04/16 07:29:03: Authentication failed: [-1] [Error -1 fault: SOAP-ENV:Client [no subcode]
]
05/04/16 07:30:23: Authentication failed: [-1] [Error -1 fault: SOAP-ENV:Client [no subcode]
]

Are you guys experiencing stuff like this?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MrMojok posted:

This caught my eye. We started using this a few months back and while I'm not directly involved with troubleshooting it, I hear about it all the time. Things like mail getting stuck in the WS FTP outbox in outlook, and the user not realizing it never sent a week ago, needing to restart the WS_FTP connector service at times, etc.

Are you guys experiencing stuff like this?

We don't use the Outlook plugin. Users go to the internal Ad Hoc Transfer webpage, login and send files that way. The last time I checked there was no plugin for Outlook 2016.

When I upgraded WS FTP to 7.7, there was documentation that said you need to be drat sure you upgraded the module to 7.7 too.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
On a conference call.

Several people are using this pattern of discussion

[2 minute long technical comment] and also, [3 minute long technical comment]. and also, [2 minute long technical comment], do you think you can accommodate that John? To which John says "Uhh, accommodate what exactly?"

So then we get the same 5-10 minute long spiel again, except John is trying harder to pay attention.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

psydude posted:

It was set up by a campaign staffer, which leads me to believe it was a 19 year old taking a break from working for the college help desk, since I doubt too many exchange admins are going to drop everything to go get paid pennies working for a primary campaign.

I don't think setting up email servers was really in the domain of the average college help desk staffer back in 1991, when they first got the server set up.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Ok I need some help on this one;

Our finance manager has a bug up her rear end about finding a new IT equipment supplier, generally kicked off because she found a printer I ordered £20 less on Amazon than a quote I got from our regular.

I have a great relationship with our supplier account manager and generally save a lot of money, he's always open to price match plus having manufacturer partner discounts; examples include slashing money off a pricey server build along with cheaper Windows server/exchange CALs, big ticket items like UPS and Switches, laptops and desktops, and bulk discount if we order enough.

Yes Amazon can be cheaper in some instances, but I can ask for a laundry list of poo poo and get on with working on something else while they get quotes together. Plus things just cost money, just saying "I don't believe they are giving us the best deal" doesn't mean poo poo without evidence. I'm generally an open guy and can accept fault, but gimme something to work with here.

Cannot human no more, send help.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Super Slash posted:

Ok I need some help on this one;

Our finance manager has a bug up her rear end about finding a new IT equipment supplier, generally kicked off because she found a printer I ordered £20 less on Amazon than a quote I got from our regular.

I have a great relationship with our supplier account manager and generally save a lot of money, he's always open to price match plus having manufacturer partner discounts; examples include slashing money off a pricey server build along with cheaper Windows server/exchange CALs, big ticket items like UPS and Switches, laptops and desktops, and bulk discount if we order enough.

Yes Amazon can be cheaper in some instances, but I can ask for a laundry list of poo poo and get on with working on something else while they get quotes together. Plus things just cost money, just saying "I don't believe they are giving us the best deal" doesn't mean poo poo without evidence. I'm generally an open guy and can accept fault, but gimme something to work with here.

Cannot human no more, send help.
After you get a quote from your supplier:
1) how long would it take to research all available alternatives
2) how much are you paid per hour
3) add that cost to the first quote

That's how much it will cost to go through alternative vendors. You can also add in other things like returns and warranties; if you have a good relationship with your supplier like you say, they'll probably ship you a replacement right when you call them up instead of having to ship a broken/defective thing to them first and wait for them to process it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Wow Amazon must be hurting for talent. My old coworker just took a job over there - 150k base, 85k first year sign on bonus, 65k second year, pay for relocation, and 270 shares of amazon. Non-management. Then he asked if I want him to put my resume in for the same job. Yes please, even with the lower base pay that's loving ridiculous. Just gotta convince my fiance to move across the country.