Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Instant Sunrise posted:

because this:

is extremely similar to the now traditional thumbstick that all modern controllers have.

also not to mention that the PSX controller/dual analog/dual shock is a derivative of the SNES/SFC controller.

well neither is the n64 pad, but the point is "analog sticks" is not an innovation. been around since the 80s.

its more like a cross between the snes and mega drive pads, taking the shape of MD pads and extending it out with th ebutton layout of a snes pad. fact is tho before the dualshock console controllers were a lot less standard than now and beyond the four button layout (which itself was from arcade titles anyway) modern pads are mainly derived from the dualshock or the saturn/dreamcast pad. probably the biggest nintendo impact is the addition of shoulder buttons. other than that... theyre poo poo bad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Stux posted:

well neither is the n64 pad, but the point is "analog sticks" is not an innovation. been around since the 80s.

There are so many weird stand-alone arcade cabinets and third party controllers out there (especially for PC) I think you could make this argument for just about anything except the earliest arcade games.

In my mind the innovation was Nintendo being the first to decide that analog would be the primary control method for their console and making it successful in a much larger market.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

BattleHamster posted:

There are so many weird stand-alone arcade cabinets and third party controllers out there (especially for PC) I think you could make this argument for just about anything except the earliest arcade games.

In my mind the innovation was Nintendo being the first to decide that analog would be the primary control method for their console and making it successful in a much larger market.

they didnt do that tho, that was the dual shock. the n64 style analog stick was not adopted and out of the two consoles the one that made a market impact was undeniably the ps1 over the n64. we're talking a console that sold 30 million vs one that sold 100 million. the n64 analog stick is resigned to the same place as those "weird stand-alone cabinets and 3rd party controllers" as a failed implementation of an idea then made popular by another company. even their own controlelrs now use analog sticks fashioned after the dual shock etc rather than the n64.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
now you're just splitting hairs. the n64 was the first console to:
  • standardize on an analog joystick as the primary input method.
  • use an analog joystick that was small enough that it could be moved with the thumb alone.
yeah the exact mechanical design of the n64 stick wasn't picked up (and thank god it wasn't)

the dual stick layout from the psx dual analog/dual shock was picked up i don't deny that, but the n64 was the first console to standardize on the analog stick as the primary input method.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nintendoland is the only thing I can think of that did something other than a menu/map/2d-interface on the screen, but that's because it was asymmetrical multiplayer. I'd love some examples where having the gamepad was absolutely necessary and it did something that standard controllers couldn't. The developers surely didn't see the need for it.

Still waiting on some examples of this.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Everyone knows the PlayStations are great, Stux, PS1 & PS2 are the two best-selling home consoles ever.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Instant Sunrise posted:

now you're just splitting hairs. the n64 was the first console to:
  • standardize on an analog joystick as the primary input method.
  • use an analog joystick that was small enough that it could be moved with the thumb alone.
yeah the exact mechanical design of the n64 stick wasn't picked up (and thank god it wasn't)

the dual stick layout from the psx dual analog/dual shock was picked up i don't deny that, but the n64 was the first console to standardize on the analog stick as the primary input method.

if the analog stick was meant to be the primary input method why is it stuck on a middle prong in a less comfortable postion than the regular side by side design which is where the dpad lives? it became the primary input method but it wasnt designed around it. thats why its on a third prong instead of by the dpad in the first place, so it wouldnt get in the way.

its literally a snes pad in shape with extended handles, and a new one put in the middle for an alternate control scheme which accidentally became the main one.

also the stick is digital

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
also the 5200 had an analog stick as its primary control way before anything else lol

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Ugh, why is this poo poo in the NINTENDO NX thread?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nierbo posted:

cause its august

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Still waiting on some examples of this.

I mean let's be real, Mario Maker would be trash on a regular controller

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Kashuno posted:

well yeah something thats trash in general would also be trash still even if u changed the controller

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gorgolflox posted:

Why the gently caress would Sony release another Vita?

It'll play your digital PS3 games and everyone will get one

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Nierbo posted:

because there's been next to no new information about the nx beyond the reports that it's going to use some kind of tegra soc, and because there's no catch-all nintendo thread in games anymore.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 10, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stux posted:

well yeah something thats trash in general would also be trash still even if u changed the controller

if you dont like good games you could have just said that at the start of this

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

whoa there don't cut yourself on the edginess

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Wii U thread is dead

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

NX thread is dead

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Its almost like responding to the Sony gremlin that haunts Games is a bad idea.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

BillmasterCozb posted:

if you dont like good games you could have just said that at the start of this

i frickin love mario but mario maker is poo poo and bad and a cash in and its poo poo. thanks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kashuno posted:

It would still be 100% doable, considering you're not "playing" anything when you're using the screen, just making the levels. This really isn't the best example.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Its almost like responding to the Sony gremlin that haunts Games is a bad idea.

u r talking 2 a vet of the old "ps3 is bad and brown" threads. do not label me with ur slander.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

u r talking 2 a vet of the old "ps3 is bad and brown" threads. do not label me with ur slander.

lol it was reallly fricking brown

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

s.i.r.e. posted:

It would still be 100% doable, considering you're not "playing" anything when you're using the screen, just making the levels. This really isn't the best example.

making the levels is a pretty essential part of Mario maker I think

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Real hurthling! posted:

lol it was reallly fricking brown

i remember motorstorm... these plebs think they can step 2 me??

Raserys posted:

making the levels is a pretty essential part of Mario maker I think

theyre saying u could do that without the big tablet pad, specifically. its not impossible without it or even particularly hard.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This thread is about pockets what the gently caress are you people doing?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PBS Newshour posted:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stux posted:

It's only slander if its not true.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

PBS Newshour posted:

whatever that persons name was post the pockets

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's only slander if its not true.

its not my fualt the only company being competent this gen is the one that was hosed at the start of last gen and the two that did well then are now losing their minds.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

They called the seventh Nintendo console the NX.

They called ten jagoffs in Mass Effect N7.

Wires crossed or Stux ghostwriting.

Can't believe the ram tho.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
NX gonna give it to ya was a better title

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Square NX

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Stux arguing basically what I was arguing yesterday really has me reflecting on how I'm living my life.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

stux is usually right

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i still think "NintendoGO" is unironically going to be the console's name and I'd be fine with it

e: Or maybe even NintenGO

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's No Play Like It

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Over-under on the NX having a SIM card slot?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It won't. It shouldn't. If you have it on the go they should just tether it to your phone.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they're talking about putting mobile games on it so we have to worry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

Over-under on the NX having a SIM card slot?

under, though if they do adding an nx to my plan better be a fuckin tmobile tuesday

• Locked thread