Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tricked, shmicked. Doctors see enough pain pill addicts to recognize the signs and Tommy isn't that smart. This doctor knows what he's doing.

Luann

It's now confirmed that Brad and Toni are planning to be like that "abstinence after marriage" couple.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Now that you mention it, MJ, comics are pretty dumb.

Sally Forth

Oh, no. Looks like Hil's experiencing a psychotic break. :ohdear:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Trilobite posted:

Wait, her name is "Hoogy"? And her son is named "Boog"?

What in the gently caress was going on with this comic back when that happened?

Probably somebody post-Frank King assuming "Skeezix" was carte blanche for everyone's name to be loving insane.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

"That's the ugliest thing I ever saw" was what LBJ actually said about his official presidential portrait.

Trilobite posted:

Wait, her name is "Hoogy"? And her son is named "Boog"?

What in the gently caress was going on with this comic back when that happened?

I think they're something like the fifth or sixth generation of descendants from Walt.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I really hope in MW we see Tommy get back with his old contacts for street Vicodin, move on to harder drugs, then go off in full-on meth rant yelling "TOMMY THE TWEAKER IS BACK BITCHES!" :catdrugs:

SomeMathGuy posted:

Probably somebody post-Frank King assuming "Skeezix" was carte blanche for everyone's name to be loving insane.

Mark Trail

Poor Cherry desperately trying to get Mark's attention and the semblance of a normal marriage. :smith:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Simian_Prime posted:

Poor Cherry desperately trying to get Mark's attention and the semblance of a normal marriage. :smith:

She's cracking under the strain of it. Soon she'll be having casual conversations with a version of herself from ten years in the future.

... What is it with weird comic strip timelines and ten year increments?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Your skin turns to tissue paper as you age. A Skin Tear Cartoon.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I rarely agree with anything put forth in Nancy in any way, but three kinds of cabbage really don't constitute a meal.

Odonata posted:

The Devil Horse

I love the level of commitment to continuity that's demonstrated by drawing Dad with stubble.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 10, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Reply All

What?

Yeah, I still don't get what's going on here.

That is a terrible meal.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I love the level of commitment to continuity that's demonstrated by drawing Dad with stubble.
Now you've made me nostalgic for The Creeps.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

I see that Brooke is still trying to capture the youth market with those timely references.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

'My patent papers are at a slight angle, Mark.'

Hasn't she noticed that he's not poolside with her? Can he hear her all the way out to sea and underwater with the whales?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (July 18, 1951)

Barnaby (December 23, 1942)

Nancy (September 1, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (May 15, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (May 30, 1923)

Barney Google (May 31, 1922)

Alley Oop (August 30, 1933)

Lil' Abner (January 27, 1937)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That Zaphod Beeblebrox, what a hoogy boog.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

I never knew you could accidentally make an uncute cat, but there it is.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

That girl deserves better than this kid. It can't be much better, since she's in the Tinkersons World, but better.

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

This is perhaps the only '(usually) no words' comic strip I regular feel is annoyingly pretentious. Oh, if only that one person still made that strip with the mime. :smith:

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

It's now confirmed that Brad and Toni are planning to be like that "abstinence after marriage" couple.

quote:

I think TJ will find Toni’s apartment is just right for him……

quote:

Brad’s folks certainly used to own the place. I can imagine they may have mortgaged it offstage during the run-up to the Fuse Project.

Hey! If the cafe/theater turns out not to be a financial success, does that mean they blew a Fuse?

Or has someone used that one already?

And on another topic: Do we know that the aunt who raised Toni and Fishbait has died, or is she just in another part of the country? I think Toni just said she and her brother “came here”, but I also think she has referred to Fishbait and Shannon as her “only living” relatives". Is there any more back story on the Daytona family than the conversation she had with Brad in the car?

quote:

“Make Love, Not Wonton”

quote:

I just don’t get why the responsible commentators of all strips in this comic don’t seem to notice how the shift to adult references in a relationship—SEX—is being made with this arc. The move to the house, which was originally TJ’s in the first place, and notably TJ does not seem to mind that Toni and Brad might take it over basically evicting him, is book-ended with a continuation of Brad’s original hint of having lots of “practice” time with Toni, time which would be private. It kind of reminds me of a comment sometime ago where someone bemoaned that Luann was no longer in grade school pining over Aaron Hill. One of the great things about this strip is that, while the time moves slowly, it does, and the characters develop. Engaged people generally do a LOT of sex, married people maybe less over time, but it still amounts to a LOT, and results in little versions of them and life goes on. TJ makes that clear in his “make love not lasagna” riff.

quote:

IamJayBluE said, 1 day ago
@The Airman
But there are plenty of ‘platonic opportunities’, though! My fiance went in to my bedroom, just to observe whether or not I was fastidious, and soon discovered my crates of records (I kept them in my room), and knew she had to snatch me up, if she wanted to listen to The Stylistics (Lol!)
-
And I saw her room, as I was able to use her room to change from a suit (it was on a Sunday) to shorts and T shirt, as a group of us all were going out to eat on a hot summer day…
-
Sometimes, it’s just an opportunity to observe things about your potential mate, and some just have a good eye for figuring out structural dimensions, in considering the feasibility of living accomodations, and such…

quote:

IamJayBluE said, 1 day ago
“Dimensions”
“Floored By Plans”
“La Dolce, Evita?”
“Desert For Dinner”
“Bon Appetit!”
“Hors Deurves!…A Break, Today!”
“Drop A Bomb On TJ”
“Structural, By Enlightening”
“News To Me!”
“A Space Case”
“Spatial…And Relationships”
Cookin’!…Without Gas"
“Pasta, Your Prime”
“Hey, Goood Lookin’! Whatcha Got Cookin’?” (♪)
or
“Kit-chen And Canoodle”

quote:

Argy? I’ve been a long time reader of this Strip (Since the 1990s) And i’ve seen Too Many times where TJ took advantage of His So-Called ‘Best Friend’ and made Him, and others, look like Fools. And this is Long BEFORE the Fire Fighter Scam. And then there was the time that old Smiley ‘accidentally’ set fire to the DeGroot’s rental property. Did He ever offer to help pay for the damages since the fire was His Fault? NOT that I Can Recall. His Compensation for tens of thousands in damage to someone else’s property is to cook them a meal. BIG Deal.
Now, TJ expects Brad to Vacate His Parents House, so that HE can Stay and have a Bigger Kitchen? SERIOUSLY???
If this were REAL Life, Brad would be Helping Smiley PACK after which the DeGroots would Bounce His butt OUTTA of the House so Fast He Would thought He had gone Back in Time.
I Need COFFEE. Have a Cup on Me, Argy.

fort knox

dustin

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

How would you feel about picking up Mike Du Jour and maybe the Tinkersons and Nancy? :angel:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

FFFFUUUUUUUCK

YYYYYYOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

People who Randomly Capitalize words in their sentences Really irk Me.

Also, did that one guy really have to explain to everyone that there's implications of sex? Really? Does he think it went over everyone else's head?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Shugojin posted:

FFFFUUUUUUUCK

YYYYYYOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU

We're expected to forget that Dustin constantly works the shittiest and most strenuous temp jobs his agency can find, because he likes to nap on a couch sometimes or do the texting or whatever

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Reminder that Dustin's mother hosts a call-in advice show on the radio, and she thinks the best counsel for her underemployed son with a college degree is "grow up and get a job."

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Richard Thompson's contributions to Inside Out, from way back when the idea was still coalescing

The public memorial for Richard will be in Washington, D.C. on 27 August at 1pm in the Ballroom of the National Press Club

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
What special kind of rear end in a top hat asks a kid camped out in their front yard if they take credit card payments?

Anthony. It is always Anthony.

Modesty Blaise

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Julet Esqu posted:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

I don't know if they could telegraph harder that the dude is gonna die. Maybe have his mom have a change of heart "Oh, when he gets home, I'll apologize and we'll reconcile and be a happy family!"

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Every time I read Fort Knox, it reminds me of this Calvin and Hobbes strip.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (June 11-12, 1929)

Peanuts (August 13, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 27, 1930)

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (June 11-12, 1929)
Rip Haywire

Gee, I wonder if the double agent is COBRA

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Aka the Luciphor

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

Begonias are perennials, what an awful landscaper.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Tiggum posted:

Reply All

That's weird.

how so? Thompson was 58, and died of Parkinson's, which causes tremors (shakes).

and the girl working the counter is Alice.

Poor taste, maybe, but I'm pretty sure he'd have been amused by it.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
I Wish I Were Gary Larson, or, Foolish Mortals

Curse of the Undead! or, Scary Gary

Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Calaveron posted:

Those honestly sound like racial slurs to me and I don't know what's wrong with me
My Dad once told me when he was a kid they called black people "Boogs" so I think it is a racial slur, although probably a lesser-known one. Maybe even regional?

F Minus

I bet this was an episode of Hogan's Heroes.

Mary Worth

Today's for the grandmas that are unclear on the concept of "addiction."

Rex Morgan MD

Dolly wants to respond, but she's entranced by Rex's finely manicured hands.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Parahexavoctal posted:

how so? Thompson was 58, and died of Parkinson's, which causes tremors (shakes).

Also Reply All also came out of the WaPo and Thompson and Donna Lewis almost certainly met at some point.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure she was good friends with him.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Pretty sure she was good friends with him.

Yeah. I think it was posted earlier in the thread, but this is what she wrote after his death.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Good Time Guy (click for big) (July, 1930)

Gross Exaggerations (click for big)

The Gay Thirties (November 1934)

They’ll Do It Everytime (October 1939)

Mopsy (April, 1940)

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big) (August 1970)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

True North

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

So were train seats somehow reversible in those days? How does that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Parahexavoctal posted:

This makes me long for Gilchrist's tributes.

• Locked thread