Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slanderer
May 6, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Between the slug in the sink and the multiple explicit invocations of John Carpenter's "The Thing" there is no loving way they aren't going to at least have bodysnatching in there in some form, even if it's just as a C or D plot to lure the characters into a trap.

uhhhh, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Slanderer posted:

uhhhh, what?

The poster shows up, and footage from the film and even some dialogue about the film's effects are in the show. It's pretty heavily referenced, even moreso than any of the other references.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The poster shows up, and footage from the film and even some dialogue about the film's effects are in the show. It's pretty heavily referenced, even moreso than any of the other references.

Oh, I forgot about the poster and the science teacher watching it.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Idle thought: the show's self-conscious retro flavor is maybe somewhat reminiscent of how H. P. Lovecraft's writing had been self-consciously archaic even for the time. It behaves like a kind of Brechtian distancing tactic: it helps the audience let their guard down. It would be much more difficult to effectively tell the same story in a contemporary, basically realistic setting. It's good to feed the audience some prompts to expect Spielberg/King/Carpenter vibes.

Also, I wonder if Barb is going to come back as a nightmare creature. She was fully consumed/impregnated/whatevered by the slug thing. It would be interesting to see the goody two-shoes become the avatar of the upside-down.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Idle thought: the show's self-conscious retro flavor is maybe somewhat reminiscent of how H. P. Lovecraft's writing had been self-consciously archaic even for the time. It behaves like a kind of Brechtian distancing tactic: it helps the audience let their guard down. It would be much more difficult to effectively tell the same story in a contemporary, basically realistic setting. It's good to feed the audience some prompts to expect Spielberg/King/Carpenter vibes.

Also, I wonder if Barb is going to come back as a nightmare creature. She was fully consumed/impregnated/whatevered by the slug thing. It would be interesting to see the goody two-shoes become the avatar of the upside-down.

I think it also makes the upending of expectations that much more satisfying. Like how they make Steve to turn out to be a decent person rather than just a two-dimensional evil jock.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
My take on letting Hopper and Joyce live is that the doctor was a smug poo poo who thought he was going to get El back and they would capture the monster and everything was gonna be cool and on the off chance they came back from the upside down with the kid they would just kill the two adults and kidnap Will to experiment on him or experiment on all three of them because that's what evil scientist villains do.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

TheWeepingHorse posted:

That'd be pretty cool, I hope they do that.

Demibarbara, demon of the Upside Down.

Baxter fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 10, 2016

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

They're going to send El in with some marines. Then its going to be like game over for the upside down after they nuke it.

man, if they run with the ALIEN / ALIENS motif, having Cameron callbacks instead of Spielberg ones would be rad as hell.

I don't think people appreciate just how good a filmmaker Cameron is - Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Rambo : First Blood Part 2 (which he co-wrote with Stallone), T2 : Judgement Day.... that man can make a flick

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

darth_pizza posted:

man, if they run with the ALIEN / ALIENS motif, having Cameron callbacks instead of Spielberg ones would be rad as hell.

I don't think people appreciate just how good a filmmaker Cameron is - Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Rambo : First Blood Part 2 (which he co-wrote with Stallone), T2 : Judgement Day.... that man can make a flick

There are a lot of cool dudes on these forums who think Aliens is poo poo but Aliens actually owns hard. I would support an Aliens/Predator/Monster Squad season 2.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

There are a lot of cool dudes on these forums who think Aliens is poo poo but Aliens actually owns hard. I would support an Aliens/Predator/Monster Squad season 2.

people who think Aliens is poo poo are cordially invited to suck on my balls

the directors cut is probably one of the best action/sci-fi/horror films

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Uncle Salty posted:

Winona Forever

i never gave up on winona

might have to change my av back to celebrate her well deserved career renaissance

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Mariana Horchata posted:

might have to change my av back to celebrate her well deserved career renaissance

She should have chosen Ben Stiiler instead of Ethan Hawke in Reality Bites.

She deserves all the kudos she's getting for her performance in this show.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I don't like how different the last episode was tonely compared to the rest of the season, the monster uncharactistically just threw itself at groups of people, I suppose they wanted to go out on more of a bang.

The ending was still fine and adequately open ended in a creepy horror way instead of a next season hook so the story being over and having something completely new next season would have been a-ok.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i am really loving mad that this netflix show did not have the special fx budget of a major motion picture

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Monomythian posted:

I don't like how different the last episode was tonely compared to the rest of the season, the monster uncharactistically just threw itself at groups of people, I suppose they wanted to go out on more of a bang.

It was an injured and angry animal protecting it's home or its the mental anguish of Elle projected as a physical being. Either way, makes sense it would lash out the way it did when it did

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the kids hosed it up pretty bad with the beartrap. looked like it ripped at least part of its foot off to escape.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

It was an injured and angry animal protecting it's home or its the mental anguish of Elle projected as a physical being. Either way, makes sense it would lash out the way it did when it did

Oh yeah, I suppose if you follow that theory, once El went full Tetsuo and started exploding heads it also hyper charged the Gorgon.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Its attracted to blood, when El exploded those govt agent brains thing went into a frenzy like sharks do when there's a ton of blood in the water.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

A Pale Horse posted:

Its attracted to blood, when El exploded those govt agent brains thing went into a frenzy like sharks do when there's a ton of blood in the water.

this, they telegraphed this too with the long pan over the bodies bleeding out on the floor

Crazedscot
May 1, 2007

I love you smug fox
I haven't read through the thread because I haven't watched the last two episodes yet so this may well have been mentioned already, but has this show reminded anyone else of the film Altered States? It touches on similar themes of course with the implied pharmacological experimentation that produced Eleven and the flotation tanks, but what triggered my frankly traumatic childhood memory of watching Altered States on top of the aforementioned themes set in the 80's was the glowing red in Stranger Things in the titles - it reminded me of the final scene in Altered States where one of the characters seems to have the same shade of red erupting from her body like cracks in lava which frankly terrified me as a child.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Will is going to be a weakpoint in season 2. He was just a plot device in the 1st season, the other characters had fun things to like about them but will was just there as part of the plot.

I think the weak and most natural plan is for will to commit suicide a la It where basically when faced with the fact the monster or evil is back, he cant face the challenge and kills himself

but the much cooler plan here is that will developer a power all his own and can travel between worlds. this lets the writers develop will,the character, as well as introducing the old audience to him and new audiences to the lore

I think Will has powers and monsters are hiding in plain sight a la They Live, BodySnatchers, The Thing is the better show. Spend the first couple episodes showing the kids exploring (and exploiting) will's new powers, while slowly growing the "monsters among us" b-plot that eventually becomes the a-plot

Madcosby fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 10, 2016

dk2m
May 6, 2009
like most things that get hyped on the internet, i watched this show prepared to hate it, but it was surprisingly good

idk about the retro stuff as was born in the 90s but the music was amazing, and the story was simple but cool enough that i actually cared about the characters. best character was the chill dad

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

glad we are in to the fanfiction phase of this thread

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I'm so glad that Goons can still manage to suck the fun out of a great TV show by having terminal Aspergers about it and coming up with lovely fanfic/theories about it.

What in the actual gently caress is wrong with you assholes?

Just like the good thing. It's ok, you don't need to go into the loving minutiae of everything ever to "explain" it.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm so glad that Goons can still manage to suck the fun out of a great TV show by having terminal Aspergers about it and coming up with lovely fanfic/theories about it.

Just like the good thing. It's ok, you don't need to go into the loving minutiae of everything ever to "explain" it.

i like to try and figure out where the story is going to go, it's fun

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
think a lot of people are missing the joke about 80s movie CIA modus operandi

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

in the middle of the third episode I got really bored. It seemed like it was banking on nostalgia so much they didn't need to actually try hard to create interesting characters or a compelling story

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mariana Horchata posted:

:same:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think most of us are discussing how to follow up on a succcessful season 2, not fan fiction

The problem with a lot of these netflix shows is that they'll experiment with something network tv would never touch, and what we get in exchange are shows with awesome first seasons and 2nd seasons people will beg you not to watch

I loved True Detective Season 1. I didnt even bother with season 2, I was told by literally everyone to avoid it

Stranger Things did a mash-up of 80s movie nostalgia with a thriller/sci fi plot. They wrapped things up much, much faster than most such shows would (like Lost) which is why it was rewarding to watch. Now, if they make season 2, itd be nice if they dont screw that up, like make another Lost.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

this, they telegraphed this too with the long pan over the bodies bleeding out on the floor

Pretty sure at one point during that scene someone (one of the kids?) goes 'oh no... BLOOD'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

it's okay bro some people like a little thing called discussion and analysis it helps us appreciate the show more

if it's not your bag that's fine but lol at you acting like we're the boors here

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Madcosby posted:

I think most of us are discussing how to follow up on a succcessful season 2, not fan fiction

The problem with a lot of these netflix shows is that they'll experiment with something network tv would never touch, and what we get in exchange are shows with awesome first seasons and 2nd seasons people will beg you not to watch

I loved True Detective Season 1. I didnt even bother with season 2, I was told by literally everyone to avoid it

Stranger Things did a mash-up of 80s movie nostalgia with a thriller/sci fi plot. They wrapped things up much, much faster than most such shows would (like Lost) which is why it was rewarding to watch. Now, if they make season 2, itd be nice if they dont screw that up, like make another Lost.

The Duffers said they have a good idea where they want the story to go in season 2 and they intentionally left some things open in the finale in order to be able to build on that. I don't understand the desire a lot of people seem to have for them to just quit this story here. I mean, even if they do a second season and it sucks does that somehow take away from the first season? I still love True Detective season 1 regardless of how poo poo season 2 is. Same with early X-files seasons. Just because it got lovely and ridiculous in the later seasons doesn't mean the first 3 or so aren't still great. Regardless, I think when someone makes something this good you have to give them at least a chance to follow it up without sinking immediately into cynicism.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Moridin920 posted:

it's okay bro some people like a little thing called discussion and analysis it helps us appreciate the show more

if it's not your bag that's fine but lol at you acting like we're the boors here

Your discussion is retarded and your analysis is pointless.

"hey guys, why wasn't the upside-down like X, Y and Z??????"
"the show should have had more whatever!!!!!!!!!"
""maybe the next season will do this............"

All of this is stupid and pointless and the people engaging in it are retarded.

Thing exists and is good. Enjoy thing instead of wanking yourselves into oblivion over what it could've, should've been whilst trying to write the second season to match your hosed up fanfic.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
so when are Winona and the cop gonna gently caress? I want them to gently caress.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

Thing exists and is good. Enjoy thing instead of wanking yourselves into oblivion over what it could've, should've been whilst trying to write the second season to match your hosed up fanfic.

if you don't like it don't read it fucko, pretty simple

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

nice meltdown?

god forbid anyone discusses Thing if it is good. either shut up entirely or only post paragraphs of thoughtful college level analysis I guess!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

spudsbuckley posted:

Man, ever think that, like, EVERYTHING is pointless?! *smokes a pot weed*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"I hate when people discuss Thing they like, hey let me join this discussion thread about Thing and bitch about it"

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

Discussion = bad

gotcha

only consume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
gonna stop reading a thread about something i found interesting and going to start eating nothing but soylent

gotta make spuds proud

• Locked thread