Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tobermory posted:

1) The lawyer on the lawsuit is Larry Klayman, better known for filing dozens of lawsuits against the Clintons in the 90s and also for suing his own mother. He almost certainly talked the families into it in another desperate attempt to prove some stupid conservative talking point. The dude is legitimately as crazy as Orly Taitz, who he has also attempted to sue.

2) Not really, no.

And Judicial Watch was in fact founded by Larry Klayman, until they kicked him out in the early 2000s. He tried to sue them, too, a few years later.

Actually, he won the case against Taitz, proving there is no god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Goatman Sacks posted:

The more territory they lose, the more people susceptible to their ideology stay in the western nations they originate from. No one cares when ISIS is burning hundreds of brown people to death in Syria, but it's a big deal when a much less lethal attack hits the west - and it will probably happen again and with more voracity now that they're losing horribly.

That is very true, but at some point all but the most ardent believers are going to see that they are failing at every level and think before they jump in. That said, those true believers abroad are likely to pull at least a few mode massacres purely out of desperation.

DaveWoo posted:

It's worth noting that the family of the dead DNC staffer just put out a statement asking Assange to please stop doing this.

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/763438914824790017/photo/1

Now they're going to be harassed by all the delusional right wingers for "selling out" or being threatened by the obviously murderous Clinton Mob. Assange is complete scum.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Crain posted:

Libertarianism simply boils down to selfishness.

It's ideologically equivalent to "don't get me a gift for my birthday because I don't want to reciprocate".

I've always thought the core tenet of Libertarianism was "I am a good person and should be given the benefit of the doubt at all times that I'm acting in good faith, but nobody else gets that."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

theflyingorc posted:

I've always thought the core tenet of Libertarianism was "I am a good person and should be given the benefit of the doubt at all times that I'm acting in good faith, but nobody else gets that."

Some Libertarians want the world to run on an honor system. But most are pretty obvious with crossing their fingers behind their backs while saying that.

An intern I had to deal with was a libertarian who basically thought that without the government, everything would be isolated small towns/no one would get too powerful to not be held accountable. But when asked what "held accountable" would mean had no real answer.

Also his response to be talking to him about how loving terrible WV coal towns were at the hands of his "black box of efficiency" was simply: "Well they were still living, right?".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

They should petition the Kremlin.

Assange is responding to allegations of being a Kremlin mouthpiece by trying to obfuscate by bringing up the death of an unrelated person. It's beyond despicable.

It's kind of hilarious that Assange and Grenwald are both trying to deflect criticisms of their ties to Putin by saying that anyone suggesting their connection to him are trying to play red scare tactics when Putin is a full on right wing authoritarian.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Holy shite...

https://twitter.com/edgeoforever/status/763333296998801408?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

WampaLord posted:

I know, right? I thought it was a Pittsburgh ad that got put in the wrong market.

They do have some heavy industry. Some shipyards, some bulk phosphate, etc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hold on, I'm almost there.....

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

it's not QUITE that simple - we don't know how many Republican voters will vote not-Trump but still vote for Republican congressmen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well lets not start gross self stimulation metaphor just yet.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

I'd be a little cautious about that. It's a report from a guy who said "Trump will ruin us all. Listen to me!" citing a guy who says "Trump will ruin us all! Listen to me."

House and Senate candidates seem to be running significantly ahead of Trump, unfortunately. An 8 point Trump loss (which still seems pretty high) doesn't equal Republican down ballot candidates losing by 8 as well.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

:psyduck:

Honestly I don't think it's going to happen. Conservatively I can be on board for Hillary winning the white house and senate flipping 50+ democrat, but winning the house would be too wild for me. I can't imagine Trump damaging the downticket races that badly in that many places.

If it happens though the dems have two full years to unfuck six years of tea party blocking. Things can happen again. Government can finally work without constant obstruction. It's pretty wild to think about. No way am I that optimistic though. Hillary wins by at most seven points in the popular vote, creams the electoral college, picks up a few extra senate seats and makes inroads into the house, but not enough to truly matter.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I'm afraid that the events in this story from 1994, of Hillary giving a speech on Healthcare, is going to be commonplace if Hillary gets elected

http://www.newsweek.com/health-care-protest-deja-vu-welcome-1994-211482

quote:

By the time the caravan had reached Seattle the threat of violence was constant. All week, talk radio hosts, both in the Northwest and on national broadcasts, implored their listeners to confront the Reform Riders to “show Hillary” their feelings about her. This "call to arms," as she described it, attracted menacing hordes, many of whom identified themselves as militia members, tax resisters and anti-abortion militants. She estimated that at least half of the 4,500 people in the audience of her Seattle speech were protesters. She agreed for the first time to wear a bulletproof vest. Rarely had she felt endangered, but this was different. During her speech, the catcalls, screaming, and heckling drowned out much of her remarks. When she left the stage and got into a limousine, hundreds of protesters surrounded the car. They were rabid with hatred. Several arrests were made by the Secret Service, which impounded two guns and a knife.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm afraid that the events in this story from 1994, of Hillary giving a speech on Healthcare, is going to be commonplace if Hillary gets elected

http://www.newsweek.com/health-care-protest-deja-vu-welcome-1994-211482

Yeah, Jesse Helms said publicly in 94 that Hillary better stay off of any military bases if she knows whats good for her wink wink. Of course, him being a normal politician, he immediately apologized.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, with the way gerrymandering has rendered districts, there is zero chance Democrats retake the house.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe next time Republicans will get lazy about redrawing districts. I call this gerrymeandering.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gerrymandering is super bad but it's not the end all bete noir people are so eager to assign all the worlds ills to. I remember people in here getting upset at how gerrymandering was going to keep us from retaking the Senate.

I mean we're getting into territory where the sheer weight of Democratic turnout is going to overwhelm many districts, that Podesta article is about Clinton leads in heavily gerrymandered districts already. Now, depending on how reliable GOP voters feel about split ticket voting or leaving the top of the ticket alone, well that's the question.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zoux posted:

Gerrymandering is super bad but it's not the end all bete noir people are so eager to assign all the worlds ills to. I remember people in here getting up set at how gerrymandering was going to keep us from retaking the Senate.

I mean we're getting into territory where the sheer weight of Democratic turnout is going to overwhelm many districts, that Podesta article is about Clinton leads in heavily gerrymandered districts already. Now, depending on how reliable GOP voters feel about split ticket voting or leaving the top of the ticket alone, well that's the question.

That's not how the senate works though.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I'm both surprised and not that the public isn't up in arms with how hosed up gerrymandering actually is. I suppose it's confusing enough to be hard to grasp as a clear concept.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Good morning Trump Trackers, has he stuck his foot in his mouth again since the second amendment snafu yet?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Precambrian posted:

You know how some libertarian nerds fantasize about how they'll be the kings of the wasteland once the zombie apocalypse or whatever happens? Accelerationists are the left's equivalent. Society is strangling my innate ideological power, so once society is gone, my utopia will emerge.

Really? I've always though of accelerationists as anyone who espouses the idea that we should just burn the world down because they're confident that'll be the kick in the pants everyone else needs to do poo poo right. The right thing could be anything from full communism too Galt's gulch, to Gilead.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Dexo posted:

That was zoux's point.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I'm both surprised and not that the public isn't up in arms with how hosed up gerrymandering actually is. I suppose it's confusing enough to be hard to grasp as a clear concept.

Because the average american doesn't think about their representatives at all.

Maybe the federal senators. but never any of their house members or state legislative members(unless they come up frequently in the news(Paul Ryan, Madigan etc etc)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

Yeah I know, which is why I'm saying that some people blame gerrymandering for poo poo it has nothing to do with.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm dumb and reading comprehension is hard.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

a shameful boehner posted:

Yeah, with the way gerrymandering has rendered districts, there is zero chance Democrats retake the house.

Heavily gerrymandered districts are very sensitive to waves.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if it would be a great idea for Hilary to not show up at large crowds without maximum security for at least a year. I cant bear the thought of Kaine stumbling through her legacy were she to get shot.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

This election is basically just like Dwarf Fortress but more depressing.

What a terrible analogy. Nobody has yet to wear a legendary thong menacing with clear diamond spikes.

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS
Secret Service confirms they've contacted the Trump campaign to discuss "second amendment people" comment.

quote:

"There has been more than one conversation" on the topic, the official told CNN.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

But while we're on the subject of unlikely things, PPP is going to poll Texas this weekend anyway without us getting involved (so we're shooting for SC), and if it comes back <5% I'm going to :circlefap:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Gerrymandering is super bad but it's not the end all bete noir people are so eager to assign all the worlds ills to. I remember people in here getting upset at how gerrymandering was going to keep us from retaking the Senate.

It's still a pretty big issue, though. It singlehandedly kept Republicans in power for six years, and even if we somehow get control of the House next year, it would only be due to running against a once-in-a-generation level terrible candidate.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if it would be a great idea for Hilary to not show up at large crowds without maximum security for at least a year.

Isn't that SOP for presidents anyway?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dexo posted:

Insofar as we drew a line around Wyoming and gave 40 people and 15,000 cows 2 Senators to represent them, it totally is. Contract the Dakotas into one state, same with WY/Montana, and make Puerto Rico and America Samoa full states.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

It's still a pretty big issue, though. It singlehandedly kept Republicans in power for six years, and even if we somehow get control of the House next year, it would only be due to running against a once-in-a-generation level terrible candidate.

Oh you won't see me supporting it, the fact that we have to get to D+8 before we start talking about equitable distribution of House seats is so hosed up it's unreal. But dudes going "can't take the house because of gerrymandering" in response to an article about how Hillary Clinton is winning specific House districts is ignorant and wrong.

My opinion is you shouldn't make up poo poo to enhance the righteousness or even the strength of your argument, it should stand on it's own merits. I think there are a lot of voters out there who are hearing end of the world poo poo about Trump that aren't taking it as seriously as they should because we said the same end of the world poo poo about McCain and Romney.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Crain posted:

Some Libertarians want the world to run on an honor system. But most are pretty obvious with crossing their fingers behind their backs while saying that.

An intern I had to deal with was a libertarian who basically thought that without the government, everything would be isolated small towns/no one would get too powerful to not be held accountable. But when asked what "held accountable" would mean had no real answer.

Also his response to be talking to him about how loving terrible WV coal towns were at the hands of his "black box of efficiency" was simply: "Well they were still living, right?".

In my experience there are two kinds of libertarians: 'authoritarian' libertarians (yes, I know it sounds like an oxymoron) who want to replace state authority with a kind of capitalistic feudalism, where ubermenschen elites naturally hold power over all the lazy plebs who only work when you cut off their handouts. Basically Objectivists they view liberty and freedom entirely within the terms of property rights. On the extreme end you get people like Hans-Hermann Hoppe who turn into outright fascists when they realize that minorities are the biggest group voting against Galt's Gulch.

Then there are those people who kind of realize that thinks are hosed up and that business and government tend to collude a lot, so they turn to libertarianism as a kind of 'babies first ideology'. Either they stay in a bubble of middle class privilege and are never challenged on the specifics of their beliefs, turning into Penn Jillette style weirdos, or, after getting hosed over by the private sector enough, they either grow out of it or evolve into radical leftists.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

My opinion is you shouldn't make up poo poo to enhance the righteousness or even the strength of your argument, it should stand on it's own merits. I think there are a lot of voters out there who are hearing end of the world poo poo about Trump that aren't taking it as seriously as they should because we said the same end of the world poo poo about McCain and Romney.
Counterpoint: Each Republican nominee has been worse than the last :v:

Actually I think McCain was worse than Romney. Romney didn't pick Sarah goddamn Palin as his VP and also wasn't fond of chanting bomb bomb Iran. He would have been the absolute shits for poor nonwhites in this country but probably wouldn't have started any wars.

Trump is actually loving nuts on top of being an rear end in a top hat.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

iospace posted:

Actually, he won the case against Taitz, proving there is no god.

The free market prevails again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zoux posted:

McCain legit scared me even before Palin with his "Bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran" talk.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
W/r/t Clinton and Utah/Mormon gotv/outreach effort.

2012 R-Primary reminder. Before Mittens won, some talking heads even said that Muslims were more Christian than Mormons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

Counterpoint: Each Republican nominee has been worse than the last :v:

Actually I think McCain was worse than Romney. Romney didn't pick Sarah goddamn Palin as his VP and also wasn't fond of chanting bomb bomb Iran. He would have been the absolute shits for poor nonwhites in this country but probably wouldn't have started any wars.

Trump is actually loving nuts on top of being an rear end in a top hat.

Romney made a birther joke, though. Dude was an absolute shitbag.

• Locked thread