Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

Counterpoint: Each Republican nominee has been worse than the last :v:

Actually I think McCain was worse than Romney. Romney didn't pick Sarah goddamn Palin as his VP and also wasn't fond of chanting bomb bomb Iran. He would have been the absolute shits for poor nonwhites in this country but probably wouldn't have started any wars.

Trump is actually loving nuts on top of being an rear end in a top hat.

I mean, and don't get me wrong I was massively opposed to those candidates then and I remain so now, but I never felt that they couldn't execute the requirements of the office. I never worried that a President John McCain couldn't meet with foreign dignitaries without causing an international incident, or a President Romney calling other heads of state names. Like I reject a Trump candidacy based on fitness of office, I don't even have to get to policy differences. He's causing international incidents just through campaign rhetoric already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grouchio posted:

Representing and present.

N-scale or HO-Scale?

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'd be a little cautious about that. It's a report from a guy who said "Trump will ruin us all. Listen to me!" citing a guy who says "Trump will ruin us all! Listen to me."

House and Senate candidates seem to be running significantly ahead of Trump, unfortunately. An 8 point Trump loss (which still seems pretty high) doesn't equal Republican down ballot candidates losing by 8 as well.

The point is that people who are staunch Republicans who won't vote Hillary but can't stand trump are getting demoralized and won't turn out. Yeah they would vote for the downticket but who wants to come home from work Tuesday and waste time throwing their vote away on Johnson just to vote for representative so and so?

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!
https://twitter.com/TrevorSawicki/status/763457436984500224

:drat:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
In my experience Republican voters tend to take voting a lot more seriously because it's tied up in their appropriated patriotic messaging ("vote, it's your civic duty," etc), but since Trump is running on a platform of "everything is broken and nothing matters" then it might be spreading apathy to a higher degree than usual.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

The point is that people who are staunch Republicans who won't vote Hillary but can't stand trump are getting demoralized and won't turn out. Yeah they would vote for the downticket but who wants to come home from work Tuesday and waste time throwing their vote away on Johnson just to vote for representative so and so?

The thing is, we don't know how those people will behave at all. If the house were just being determined by the presidential vote, we'd see the House flip to the Democrats. How much Trump affects those races is still to be seen, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I mean it seems like a funny slam but really what are 99.whatever% of people going to offer besides that :confused:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I mean it seems like a funny slam but really what are 99.whatever% of people going to offer besides that :confused:

Isn't Trump supposed to be one of the 1%?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

Romney made a birther joke, though. Dude was an absolute shitbag.

Romney is a shitbag for the Benghazi press conference alone, but he was still more sane than McCain and especially Trump.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ciaphas posted:

Trump is known to lie about donating to charities and generally not paying people who he owes money. :thejoke:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Isn't Trump supposed to be one of the 1%?

He wishes really hard.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Sigh

https://twitter.com/danmericaCNN/status/763459152953901057

edit: though I guess it was an animal rights protestor

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr Interweb posted:

Romney made a birther joke, though. Dude was an absolute shitbag.

Every time I think McCain was worse I think of this image and say 'No, gently caress Romney forever". McCain was a warhawk who made some hosed up bad campaign decisions, but Romney could out-sleaze him any day of the week.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

He didn't have a gun, not Trump's fault.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

zoux posted:

I remember people in here getting upset at how gerrymandering was going to keep us from retaking the Senate.

:allears:

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

theblackw0lf posted:

Sigh

Why do they do this when theres pictures of Uday and Qussay with dead elephants and leopards?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

He wishes really hard.

Isn't 1% "only" like 200-300k a year? He's definitely in there.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DeathSandwich posted:

Every time I think McCain was worse I think of this image and say 'No, gently caress Romney forever". McCain was a warhawk who made some hosed up bad campaign decisions, but Romney could out-sleaze him any day of the week.

2000 McCain is who you're thinking of there.

2008 McCain was a craven shithead who fully embraced the neocon wing of the republican party while also being a massive warhawk who is personally responsible for letting the insane wing of the party have a seat at the table to get more votes.

Romney is an out of touch 1% who made some hosed up campaign decisions, notably the one pictured.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Goatman Sacks posted:

Why do they do this when theres pictures of Uday and Qussay with dead elephants and leopards?

Cause Trump packs heat

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Insofar as we drew a line around Wyoming and gave 40 people and 15,000 cows 2 Senators to represent them, it totally is. Contract the Dakotas into one state, same with WY/Montana, and make Puerto Rico and America Samoa full states.

American Samoa has a tenth the population of Wyoming.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Mantis42 posted:

Then there are those people who kind of realize that thinks are hosed up and that business and government tend to collude a lot, so they turn to libertarianism as a kind of 'babies first ideology'. Either they stay in a bubble of middle class privilege and are never challenged on the specifics of their beliefs, turning into Penn Jillette style weirdos, or, after getting hosed over by the private sector enough, they either grow out of it or evolve into radical leftists.

Jeez, dilute the last 15 years of my life into one paragraph why don't you?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What, was that you too

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Sigh

Again? Is there some "Clinton is bad on animal rights" thing I'm not aware of? Or are they just targeting her because they think more left-leaning audiences are more likely to listen, whereas they'd just get beaten up at a Trump rally?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Ron Jeremy posted:

American Samoa has a tenth the population of Wyoming.

We are trying to do the 3/5ths compromise right this time.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Then there are those people who kind of realize that thinks are hosed up and that business and government tend to collude a lot, so they turn to libertarianism as a kind of 'babies first ideology'. Either they stay in a bubble of middle class privilege and are never challenged on the specifics of their beliefs, turning into Penn Jillette style weirdos, or, after getting hosed over by the private sector enough, they either grow out of it or evolve into radical leftists.

my life story.txt

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

DeathSandwich posted:

What is this photo from again? The 47% speech?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Harrow posted:

Again? Is there some "Clinton is bad on animal rights" thing I'm not aware of? Or are they just targeting her because they think more left-leaning audiences are more likely to listen, whereas they'd just get beaten up at a Trump rally?

PETA is more about exposure than any kind of cohesive, directed or effective activist campaign. They are Dicks Out For Harambe incarnate.

Pastrymancy posted:

Benghazi

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
American Samoa has been so hosed over by lack of representation that they probably deserve to hit a bit above their weight class for a while if they eventually get it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pastrymancy posted:

no that's romney talking about benghazi and smirking because he thinks it's the october suprise that will turn things in his favor

he's smiling because dead americans help him achieve his goals, you see

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

It's probably the same as the Black Lives Matter activists protesting Bernie's speech in Seattle. It's readily available, and easy exposure. The amount of whitesplaining of "Why protest Bernie's rally? He's the best hope for black people!" was hilarious.

A Winner is Jew posted:

2000 McCain is who you're thinking of there.

2008 McCain was a craven shithead who fully embraced the neocon wing of the republican party while also being a massive warhawk who is personally responsible for letting the insane wing of the party have a seat at the table to get more votes.

Romney is an out of touch 1% who made some hosed up campaign decisions, notably the one pictured.

Maybe... both are bad??

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 10, 2016

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Harrow posted:

They know they won't get punched in the face by attendees at a Clinton rally.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

no that's romney talking about benghazi and smirking because he thinks it's the october suprise that will turn things in his favor

I honestly don't think that's what happened, I think he just walks around with a vacant genial smile on his face 24/7 like every Mormon missionary I've ever seen.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Charitable take was he was realizing what a mistake it was and smirking out of awkwardness.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

seiferguy posted:

Maybe... both are bad??

No argument there, all I'm saying is that 2008 McCain > Romney > 2000 McCain as far as who would win the shithead olympics between them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

I honestly don't think that's what happened, I think he just walks around with a vacant genial smile on his face 24/7 like every Mormon missionary I've ever seen.

maybe so but the photo doesn't help in that half his face is in shadow, ike he's about to walk through that blue curtain onto the set of a daytime soap and start dropping bombs about the protagonist's true parentage

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Yeah this describes my fortunately very brief libertarian streak. It falls apart pretty much immediately the moment you realize we don't live in the simple universe filled with perfectly spherical rational actors that libertarian requires to make any sense.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/rubycramer/status/763461171252895744

https://twitter.com/rubycramer/status/763461319617974272

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

maybe so but the photo doesn't help in that half his face is in shadow, ike he's about to walk through that blue curtain onto the set of a daytime soap and start dropping bombs about the protagonist's true parentage

Oh yeah, terrible optics but I don't think that he was like "Hell yeah, Arab Death"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Romney: "“I think it’s a terrible course for America to stand in apology for our values, that instead when our grounds are being attacked and being breached, that the first response of the United States must be outrage at the breach of the sovereignty of our nation, An apology for America’s values is never the right course.”

*walks away from podium*

Romney [Internal Monologue]: "Oh hey, today is taco tuesday! Alright!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zoux posted:

He got asked a question after his dumb press statement, turned on his heel and walked away while smirking.

There is no charitable light to shine on this particular moment. The spectrum goes from bad to worse depending on how favorable you are with R-Money.

• Locked thread