Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TwoPair posted:

I think it's just me. I mean, at least until the other GL book adds some more lanterns, Baz is the only remotely creative GL in town so I'll read his mediocre book. Better than Milquetoast Jordan and the GL Corps.

GL corps just plopped the rest of the corps in the book last issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Haven't read Thunderbolts but the Suicide Squad stuff was the definition of "house style".

1993 house style.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Can I see some examples of what SS Rebirth looks like?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Click on the cover.
https://www.comixology.com/Suicide-Squad-Rebirth-2016-1/digital-comic/384469?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I guess Obama hated the movie too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

Haven't read Thunderbolts but the Suicide Squad stuff was the definition of "house style".

Only if the house was on fire.

Toxxupation posted:

Sure, if you want.

http://insidepulse.com/2016/08/04/d...x-office-skwad/

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 10, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

TwoPair posted:

I think it's just me. I mean, at least until the other GL book adds some more lanterns, Baz is the only remotely creative GL in town so I'll read his mediocre book. Better than Milquetoast Jordan and the GL Corps.

I'm mired in GL stockholm syndrome as a result of knowing enough about their shared corner of the DC universe to be endlessly curious about what'll happen next to everyone.
At least Ethan Van Sciver's killing it on GL Corps art.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Is New Super-Man worth picking up?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

I guess Obama hated the movie too.

No Amanda Waller then tells him there are "bad people" out there and she needs to do things to stop them without oversight or "bad things" will happen. Then you could have heard a pin drop, and that Amanda Waller was Albert Einstein.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nystral posted:

Is New Super-Man worth picking up?

First issue was kind of goofy, second issue is fair to good. I'm in for a while.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

greatn posted:

No Amanda Waller then tells him there are "bad people" out there and she needs to do things to stop them without oversight or "bad things" will happen. Then you could have heard a pin drop, and that Amanda Waller was Albert Einstein.

Harley Quinn with a baseball bat will save us from General Zod.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Toxxupation posted:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Woof. All-Star is so Scott Snyder.
Is it purple prose when text is all stilted and long-winded attempting to be naturalistic? Snyder-prose? Reading Jim and Two-Face talk is a little exhausting.

The backup is obtuse. I dunno what to think or take from it. Suddenly Batman has some colour coded trainee system thing that I guess he's always had, just like that cloning machine.

It's Snyder conceptuals amplified when I thought we were getting his attempt at a plainly fun road movie comic.

Maybe it's mood is something to grow into and it'll start to feel right next issue, but this was pretty off for me tonight.

Also, the chainsaw use was a bit of a letdown from that cover.

-----------------------

Superwoman wasn't amazing in writing or art, but it achieved the origin and save the day situation in a nice, sweet, basic way. The reference to Reeve Superman kinda fit. I liked the Lana Lois duo a lot.

-----------------------

Deathstroke was great. I dug the little chapters.
It was definitely confusing. Does anything from the previous run fill in the gaps, or are we just dropped in it with the info to come?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 10, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I'm also still pulling GLs but that's because I'm a huge GL mark who will read any non-Hal GL book almost without question. It's admittedly not very good so far.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
RHATO was wonderful, everyone on the team is killing it. Lobdell's handle on Jason is pretty drat perfect, he know perfectly what makes Jason tick and the way he's intertwining present and past makes from some very interesting scenes. I have to admit is funny the way now he's being allowed to elaborate upon Jason's past now after being more or less off limits during the N52. I was also surprised at the way he wrote Ma Gunn. Aside of being an evil aunt May she never got much going for her and it was pretty one dimensional. Here in just a couple of pages Lobdell turned her into an interesting character that I wouldn't mind to see become a regular on the series.

For all the criticism Lobdell gets about using inner monologues for Jason, I found them to be the perfect way to peek into his mind. You can learn a lot from Jason simply by looking at what Jason says and how he says it.

I also liked his take on Black Mask, the "JJ Jameson as mob boss" take from UtRH while admittedly hilarious fit more a background character than a full fledged member of the cast. And thus, going for a more refined and full of himself Roman makes for an interesting contrast to Jason. It also helps to play more the "Dark Counterpart" of Bruce Wayne element that Roman has always had. Shame about the gimp mask tho.

The slow buildup towards the introduction of the remaining outlaws does wonders to build hype and it will be more than worth it if Lobdell gives Bizarro an introduction as good as Artemis'

Just look at her :allears:

Soy and Gandini are rocking on the art. Soy's detailed pencils and knack for splash pages give Lobdell's script an impact that had lacked since Rocafort left. But as good as Soy's pencils are, it wouldn't be the same without Gandini's colors. Washing out the colors during the flashbacks and constantly highlighting the colors on Jason (and as this issue, Artemis) gives the book a very cinematic feeling that makes it unique between DC's current lineup. I really hope they stick around for a long, long time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

RHATO was wonderful, everyone on the team is killing it.

It didn't really deserve to die, but we need to show they're not your momma's Trinity.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I wasn't so hot on N52 RHATO or DCYOU RH/A, but I have to admit the new art's been purty.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Most of today's stuff was pretty consistent. Action was as blah as usual so far. WW: Year One is great, as was 'Tec. Superwoman wasn't stellar but there was enough good there that I'm down with it. Possibly wouldn't be if it was double-shipping, but I can deal with 'pretty good' for 2 quid a month.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Deathstroke... was pretty good? I'm usually lukewarm to the character, but Priest has won my confidence with this issue. Will wonders never cease.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Nearly picked up Deathstroke but didn't. Might wait to hear if the arc is any good and pick up the trade if it is.
Digged All-Star Batman. The set-up is a bit contrived, but it looks like a fun romp. I just hope it becomes more like Cannonball Run and tries avoid angst.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Flintstones #2 was wonderful. It seemed to look a lot better too.

e:
https://twitter.com/HackinTimSeeley/status/763452576457195520

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 10, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Detective Comics continues to be awesome and it's nice to see that it hasn't lost any of its pacing.
Also I didn't realize that they introduced the General. That is awesome. His original introduction in Detective comics ages ago was one of the first Batman comics I remember reading.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Also I didn't realize that they introduced the General. That is awesome. His original introduction in Detective comics ages ago was one of the first Batman comics I remember reading.

That genius kid?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He never told us if he pronounced the threes, though!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

That genius kid?

Yep. They gave him so leet name but he is an older (young) character.

Basically he was a bored teenager who decided to rebel against his folks by becoming a crime lord.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So, uh, did Superwoman really just die in the first issue of her comic? Is it just Lana's comic going forward now?

I actually hope so, because I kind of like Lana better and at least her version of Superwoman isn't quite as redundant as the other Super people we have flying around.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 10, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

So, uh, did Superwoman really just die in the first issue of her comic? Is it just Lana's comic going forward now?

I actually hope so, because I kind of like Lana better and at least her version of Superwoman isn't quite as redundant as the other Super people we have flying around.

That would be the most hilarious troll.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ImpAtom posted:

That would be the most hilarious troll.

Is it really a troll if it probably makes the comic better?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I actually like Black Mask so I this new look for him actually really bugs me. I hope they change it back quickly. Also wasn't Black Mask involved in the Catwoman story line recently. Or is that gone now.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 10, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MonsterEnvy posted:

I actually like Black Mask so that mask they have given him is horrid. It does not fit him at all.

I've heard of mob bosses having mistresses before, but this is ridiculous!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm still sorting my feelings out for Superwoman, but as far as I can tell this is the first time I'll be definitely continuing to pull a series that so far, I think I kinda hate.

That first issue of Superwoman was just real bad. It references and builds off of at least four different other comics, all but one of which I've read, and yet the only one I didn't read (the most recent issue of Action Comics, having dropped it after being supremely disappointed for four issues straight) meant I still felt kinda lost in this one. Apparently Superwoman got introduced in the bounds of Action Comics? Because, uh, yeah, this was a confusing mess. It was overwritten, the tone was all over the place (I kept glancing at the page number of this issue, which to me is the surest sign that you've centrally failed at writing it, but even worse it was so loving exposition-heavy I kept going "It's gotta be over by now, right?" and it just kept going), it's supremely boring for very long stretches, and is just a top-to-bottom disaster. I don't think this story works at all unless you've been reading and are current with everything that happened in Rebirth, currently happening in Action Comics, and currently happening in Superman, with at least some context for who N52 Lois Lane and Lana Lang were.

But even beyond that I find so many parts of the central conceit of the comic really unappetizing. I dunno what directive went down in Superman editorial so now every Super-Book has to utilize Death and Rebirth of Superman elements in some major way, but so far only Superman has been able to pull it off well, and my eyes started rolling out of my head once I realized that Superwoman was doing Red Superman/Blue Superman combined with Electric Blue era shenanigans. I hate poorly defined superpowers based on a vague sciency word that basically means "can do anything", so I'm already real bummed out that the main Superwoman moving forward is gonna be, well, that.

But there's definitely something there, to Superwoman, something that makes me want to keep reading. I think it might be Lana Lang being an appealing character (even though her writing was all over the place this issue and her internal dialog was suffocating) or it might be that hitting the ground running with a Shield opening is pretty goddamn ballsy, or the setup for this issue being such a convoluted mess of trying to establish what the current stakes of its universe are that I'm willing to cut it a lot of slack, but this issue basically pulled the trick of being both something I found very, very bad while also being immediately compelling to the point where I'm definitely adding it to my pull list. It's a weird, weird issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

It would sort out the duplicate Lois Lane problem wouldn't it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You haven't missed anything. She's only on one of Oz's screens in today's Action Comics.
Superwoman #1 is the introduction.

e: Superwoman #1 literally tells you "Doomsday who's been on a rampage..." "Lex Luthor who has taken it upon himself to be Metropolis' new Superman" so you don't need to read Action Comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 10, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

On the other hand I quite enjoyed Superwoman without having read any of the earlier New 52 Superman stuff except for the final death storyline which I loved. And the ending actually made me kind of love the book if it's not a red herring. I also prefer having Superwoman be the Electric Red version as opposed to Lois.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

And the ending actually made me kind of love the book if it's not a red herring.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Don't set yourself up for disappointment.

The motto of DC Comics.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of, no second volume for Prez

https://twitter.com/Manruss/status/760325310743097344

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It does blow, but you're missing the tweet above that says there'll at least be an Election Special issue. Small consolation.
A 12 page one apparently. I don't know how that works. Maybe as a backup in every comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 10, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Holy poo poo Wonder Woman Year One is so loving good jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Aww, god drat it @the Prez thing.