Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
While we've been spitballing ideas on houses, we've come across several new build communities since our target area is a rapidly growing area that doesn't really have enough established suburbs to support the population boom.

What are the potential pitfalls of a new build community besides general permit bullshit, construction delays, poor materials/workmanship, etc? We're already planning on tacking on $50k to whatever the base price is for upgrades. I've been told that I should also come armed with my own realtor before setting foot in a model home.

I had a really bad experience with a new build place a few years back but it was an abnormal situation so I'm willing to give it another go with a less sucky company. The idea of having some input on the house layout and not having to deal with improperly maintained stuff from previous owners is appealing to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

While we've been spitballing ideas on houses, we've come across several new build communities since our target area is a rapidly growing area that doesn't really have enough established suburbs to support the population boom.

What are the potential pitfalls of a new build community besides general permit bullshit, construction delays, poor materials/workmanship, etc? We're already planning on tacking on $50k to whatever the base price is for upgrades. I've been told that I should also come armed with my own realtor before setting foot in a model home.

I had a really bad experience with a new build place a few years back but it was an abnormal situation so I'm willing to give it another go with a less sucky company. The idea of having some input on the house layout and not having to deal with improperly maintained stuff from previous owners is appealing to us.
Last in first out. If there's a recession or contraction in the housing market, the newest subdivisions are usually the first to lose value.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

All of the new build communities that we looked at had garbage layouts, but we often didn't realize that until we sat down and thought about them ("wait a minute..."). They also usually came with nothing, not even appliances, so that's something to check for.

On the flip side, the higher-end new build communities all seemed really great but were out of our price range.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

moana posted:

- use bleach to clean everything
- one week later, notice back wall is turning black

Obviously there was more going on, but this experience highlights an important fact for homeowners to know:

Bleach is not an effective mold treatment product for porous or semiporous sufaces. It does not penetrate, and the active ingredient evaporates within hours.

Effective mold remediation requires the use of mold treatment products like Concrobium, which is safe, inexpensive, and effective for months or often years on most surfaces. You can buy it at home depot.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

All of the new build communities that we looked at had garbage layouts, but we often didn't realize that until we sat down and thought about them ("wait a minute..."). They also usually came with nothing, not even appliances, so that's something to check for.

On the flip side, the higher-end new build communities all seemed really great but were out of our price range.

I've noticed that with the weird layouts. What in the gently caress is this trend of putting the master bedroom closet attached to the bathroom so you have to walk through the bathroom to get to your clothes? How are you supposed to get dressed if your spouse is busy taking a poo poo? Who wants their clothes ruined by shower steam and or poop particles floating around daily? I don't get it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What are your dumps like

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Reminder: if you can smell a poop, that means particles of that poop have entered your nostrils.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HEY NONG MAN posted:

What are your dumps like

Normal human dumps produce poop particulates that wind up the air, unlike your robot dumps

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GameCube posted:

Reminder: if you can smell a poop, that means particles of that poop have entered your nostrils.

Nah it's really mostly gasses more than particles.

I mean, gas is made of particles so yeah, but like you were probably thinking of floating pieces of poo poo, but really the stink is from gasses which is why you can deal with them almost instantly by lighting a match.

Also LOL if you and your spouse are uncomfortable seeing each other sitting on a toilet. My wife and I were past that within like two months of dating.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's one of the few times where you can truly feel like you have some privacy and don't have to deal with people, why would you want to give that up

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pff, privacy

No but that is a dumb place to put a closet, I'll give you that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Don't most of those layouts have the toilet in a tiny closet like thing with a door?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I saw a small new-build house where the first floor was one really long hallway in a U shape connecting the front door to a tiny living room and decent-sized adjacent kitchen, with an enormous stairwell (like you could probably fit 4 people side by side on these huge stairs) right in the middle of the house. But the living room wasn't really big enough to fit a couch or anything in, it was just awkwardly narrow. That didn't stop the real estate agent from trying to make the place look livable and sticking a couch there anyway, so we were basically squeezing past this couch on the way to the kitchen

I don't know why they sacrificed so much square footage to this huge stairwell

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Our last house had a big-rear end staircase splitting the downstairs living area into two small useless rooms and also had the bathroom closet.

Never again.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We once lived in a house with the closet coming off the bathroom. Then one summer everything in the closet started molding, so we moved because we were renting.

Zanthia
Dec 2, 2014

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Don't most of those layouts have the toilet in a tiny closet like thing with a door?

This is such a weird trend, too. You just wiped your rear end, but you're supposed to touch a door handle? No thanks.

Toilet belongs with the sink. Always.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I think it's useful for after you've taken a steaming poo poo but still want to do other stuff in your bathroom.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rurutia posted:

I think it's useful for after you've taken a steaming poo poo but still want to do other stuff in your bathroom.

Buy a lid for your toilet

If things are really bad then get a bottle of air freshener or one of those tablet things that goes in the toilet's upper basin

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Look at moneybags here who's still got leftover cash to buy a lid for his toilet seat.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I'm not sure what a toilet seat would accomplish smell wise that flushing wouldn't. I just meant I don't see its function as for closing the door while you're inside, but rather for after you're done. So touching the door handle isn't a big deal and the sink can be placed right outside the door so it's not any further than if there wasn't a door.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Please don't turn this thread into a GBS wiping discussion. I'm begging you.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

HEY NONG MAN posted:

This my bathroom, it has it's own poop bathroom. You don't bath n the poo poo room, don't poo poo in my bath room.

I normally get by with only using one hand to wipe but I guess you might have to use both and not have a free one to open the door and turn on the sink.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 8, 2016

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zanthia posted:

This is such a weird trend, too. You just wiped your rear end, but you're supposed to touch a door handle? No thanks.

Toilet belongs with the sink. Always.

What about all those poor people who still have to flush with a toilet handle? How are they supposed to get by? Is there some expectation that you will poo poo, close the lid (but now the lid is dirty), wash your hands, and flush the toilet (oh god microscopic particles of poop EVERYWHERE)?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I really like my hands free kitchen sink so I just poop in there, thus circumventing the whole gordito knot.

E: plus I don't get a ticket if I use it while driving

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I usually just poo poo directly into (or just next to) the storm drain on the curb of my street, seems to work pretty well and I never ever have a clogged toilet

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I usually just poo poo directly into (or just next to) the storm drain on the curb of my street, seems to work pretty well and I never ever have a clogged toilet

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Dumb people with house on market for 90 days (and no offers) refuse to take 10 grand less than listing. And took five days to reject our offer.

So now we walk. Cya later!

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Dumb people with house on market for 90 days (and no offers) refuse to take 10 grand less than listing. And took five days to reject our offer.

So now we walk. Cya later!

I don't understand why people leave their listing up for months at a time with no price reduction. One particular listing near me has been up since September '15 with no price drops. Why?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Because they would like to move but they can't afford to go any lower? Maybe they're underwater and literally can't cut any further.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Or maybe they are simply interested in moving at a certain price but not below that. No one says you have to keep a house if you have an offer you are willing to part with it at.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

The Shep posted:

I don't understand why people leave their listing up for months at a time with no price reduction. One particular listing near me has been up since September '15 with no price drops. Why?

I suppose in a hot market where prices keep increasing the feeling might be that the market will get there eventually. That said, in a market where everything decent is selling within the first ten days (often for over asking), potential buyers may not even pay attention to older houses. We were looking at only houses that had just listed after our first couple weeks of looking.

The house we just bought went pending once and went back on the market before we looked at it. We offered $25k under and they countered with $15k. Having now been on both sides of the deal you definitely feel the pressure as a seller to not want to have it sit or go back on the market once or twice.

Nail Rat posted:

Because they would like to move but they can't afford to go any lower? Maybe they're underwater and literally can't cut any further.

Past sales price can tell you a lot about what you want to offer. Someone who bought a house 15 years ago for $100k and are asking $210k may be just fine selling for $200k. Someone who bought in 2007 for $225k is probably just hoping to walk away without having to pay their realtors fees out of pocket.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah, this. Sometimes you don't have a choice.

We've had a house on the market for like 7 months now and have dropped it a lot over that period, but we are now at the point where any further drops will cause us to pay money at close to sell it.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
This specific house has already dropped $10k in price after each 30 day period on the market. The next logical progression was a price drop today, which is the same amount we offered for. No dice.

These people bought decades ago when the house was worth less than a third of what it's going for now, so I seriously doubt they are underwater.

Also, they did have an offer months ago where the buyers bailed after inspection. So again.... we're very confused about what's going on with them. We do know their listing agent is super annoyed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BeastOfExmoor posted:

That said, in a market where everything decent is selling within the first ten days (often for over asking), potential buyers may not even pay attention to older houses. We were looking at only houses that had just listed after our first couple weeks of looking.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised they let the listing sit for 90 days, rather than relisting periodically to stay in those searches.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

This specific house has already dropped $10k in price after each 30 day period on the market. The next logical progression was a price drop today, which is the same amount we offered for. No dice.

These people bought decades ago when the house was worth less than a third of what it's going for now, so I seriously doubt they are underwater.

Also, they did have an offer months ago where the buyers bailed after inspection. So again.... we're very confused about what's going on with them. We do know their listing agent is super annoyed.

They could have kept borrowing as the house rose in value

They could also be like my old landlord who wanted to sell his house but didn't mind waiting for about 4 years for the market to catch up to his asking price

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
My wife and I have decided to buy our first house, and we found one we like but we're getting some conflicting advice from a mortgage broker and our agent, and I'm hoping to get some collective goon wisdom. We're in Portland, OR and the top of our price range is $350k. The market here is white hot, though it's not as bad as it was over the spring and early summer. Most listings in our price range are going in less than a week. We found a house we'd like to put in an offer on that's listed at $319, it's been on the market for 18 days, and over the weekend the price was dropped (was $329k).

The house is a 2 bed, 1 bath house with ~800 square feet. The garage has been converted to living space, basically a third bedroom and a second full bath, if it counted as finished square footage, the house would be ~1,100 sq ft. These changes were made before the current owner bought it, and it turns out that the work wasn't permitted when it was done. Parts of the work are obviously stupid - the electrical panel was on the garage wall and it's now in the second bathroom, a no-no; the furnace and heater have been "hidden" by stapling little plywood walls around them - also stupid. But the garage was already plumbed and wired for electrical, so the odds that there are huge problems with those are low. The rest of the house is fantastic.

We originally wanted to put in an offer, then when we discovered it wasn't permitted, we decided not to. Our agent basically said "well tons of houses have unpermitted work, it's not a big deal, we get the sellers to fix the obvious safety problems and blah blah." We went back and forth on it for a couple days, and today we decided to go ahead and move forward. Now our mortgage broker says that it's pretty risky, because we could get a few thousand into things with inspections and poo poo, and then the appraiser blows it up by noting the unpermitted work and the lender will pull the plug. Our agent has now reversed course and is agreeing with him - not to put in an offer. She said "well if it were your dream home I'd say..."

We are not wide-eyed Bambis here - we are aware that with a 5% down conventional mortgage and looking in Portland in the low 300s, we won't be in sniffing distance of "dream house". But this house ticks all the boxes: huge back yard and deck, very little work to be done, nice neighborhood, a place for me to use as a dedicated office (the former garage - I work from home), good price, favorable negotiation position, etc. Are we dumb for putting in an offer? Is there some way to put in an offer that will better protect us? Do lenders really care a lot about unpermitted ADUs?

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

There's a house a block from me that was listed around 4 months ago for easily $80k more than it's worth and is now on its 3rd real estate agency and $70k down from original list. I wonder how you have had to gently caress up to be the poor bastard to get that listing.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The Shep posted:

Because that is their price.

It's their property and they can set their own terms.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I apologize for the poop derail.

The house I rent now was on the market for 6 months and it didn't sell so they put it up for rent out of desperation. I asked the neighbors why it didn't sell because it seems like a pretty good house and they said they listed it above market value because they over-valued their sorta lovely DIY upgrades and the owners refused to drop the price and rejected all the offers below list price. The owners live out of state now so you'd think they'd want to get rid of it but whatever. Worked out for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Sub Par posted:

Portland is a hot market, etc...

In Portland, homes on the market for more than a week in that price range do not have offers for good reasons. The house is either overpriced and not comparable to other homes nearby, or there is something wrong with it. The latter bit is something you may be able to work with, depending on what's wrong.

Unpermitted additions are popular in areas with capped annual tax assessment increases. Portland's taxable assessment can only increase by 3% annually regardless of the real assess value of the property. I believe permitted additions require a reassessment of taxable value, meaning your home might currently be taxed at a value of $100,000, but you turned your garage into a bedroom and now it's taxable at $300,000. Without the permitting process, your tax would increase by up to 3% per year from 100,000. With the permitting process, you'd be starting fresh at a freshly assessed $300k with potential tax increases of 3% annually.

So, you now have significant leverage, but the home might also be less attractive. To correct the issue, the current owner would probably need to retroactively permit the addition. If it is code compliant, the new assessed value would be far higher than what it probably is now and you'll be paying 2-3X taxes, plus you or the prior owner would probably be liable for back taxes from the time the addition was installed. If the new addition is not up to current code, I'm not really sure what the process is, but you could be in a great position to negotiate for a large price discount. Instead of looking at a 2 bed, 1 bath house, you're looking at a 1/1 and you probably won't find comps nearby. $320k is a lot for in Portland for a 1/1 outside of a premium neighborhood, and if it was in such a neighborhood it probably would have an offer by now.

Don't forget the impact of tax in your purchase decision. There was a house for sale in the NE Dekum area at about $350k that I considered simply because the assessed taxable value was around $65k, which resulted in roughly a $2k per year property tax benefit compared to comparable homes in the area. If you jump on a house near your mortgage cap and the taxes double or triple, that could be a real problem. Also, the taxes will not go away after you've paid off your mortgage.

Also, sellers and buyers agents interest lies solely in making the sale. The seller doesn't really want to maximize the sale value and the buyers agent doesn't really want to minimize the cost to the buyer. The sale is how both are paid and minor sale price variations do not matter to either. The lender would err on the side of being slightly conservative, but they still want to get the loan approval through. Use your own judgement with these things in mind.

Magicaljesus fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 11, 2016