Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I always assumed Qu are some refrence to japanese myths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Managed to record gameplay without any hiccups, now I'm set to the end of Disc 2. Should be done with Disc 2 around Update 50 or so, maybe one or two more than that since the rest of the disc is pretty wordy.

Will hopefully have the next update up tomorrow evening.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I'm interested to see what kind of effects picking the proper Moogle tasks will have. As far as I could tell, it had absolutely no effect on the scenes here so I always just picked randomly.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Blaze Dragon posted:

So wait, if Quina is a being that grows more powerful by eating others, what would eating Quina cause?

regret

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hi, I did a thing.

Surprisingly, Lightning's top is quite similar to what Beatrix wears.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I feel like eating Quina would probably result in a hallucinogenic episode.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Quina just hopping into the water in Madain Sari gets me every time. Are Qu amphibious? They dwell in swamps, but it would make an enormous amount of sense if they could breathe in water.
Only in FF9 would there be a scene where this directly comes up as if the developer knew you would one day ask this question.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Finally caught up to the lp so I'll share some of my opinions.

Conde Petie/Mountain path is one of my favorite area themes. It always reminds me of hot, dry summers. I usually never use Eiko even though I do not dislike her at all as a character. I just like Garnet much more and she's more important to the story so I want to keep her in my party. Though I also like using Freya so the story part is a bit of a moot point.

Gargan Roo is a pretty good grinding spot for Garnet Steiner and Marcus if you stick to the first screen where you only fight the big leech monsters. It doesn't take long to get them up to Zidane's level. Especially if you got the blood sword.
I'm also one of those people that decided to grind there until Garnet could use all of her summons. It's pretty cool to summon them for Ralvurayliotta I can't post the screenshot I took of it until later in the LP though because of Eidolon appearance spoilers.

Speaking of Ralvurahva. After looking at it's artwork I think it's pretty darn safe to assume that it's in process of shedding it's skin and that Ralvuimago is it's shedded form. You can see patches of it's skin being ripped open with green skin underneath and the gasmask looking potrusions are the red feelers/tusks curled up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iretep posted:

I always assumed Qu are some refrence to japanese myths.
not really

some of the elder qu have vaguely chinese outfits, and that combined with their hopping movements could be read as a reference to chinese vampires. In the Japanese, Quina also has a bit of a Chinese accent.

their make-up and some of quina's poses resemble kabuki

but they're pretty much just frog people. all the other stuff is mostly just random cultural detritus to make them seem more weird.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 8, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Summon magic?
Yeah, it's called the Eidolon Wall!

We need to grab Dagger anyway to check out the wall so might as well do it ahead of time. Seems like something she'd be interested in since they have to do with her immense power that Brahne's currently using to destroy the world and all.

Eiko's decision to show the Eidolon Wall to outsiders upset him. But we moogles love Eiko. He'll understand, in time.
Why does the wall need protection?
The Eidolon Wall has been protected by Eiko's summoner tribe for generations.

Is that true?

Way ahead of ya there.

This particular screen gets its own music. It's a sacred place, after all.

These eidolons all exist?
Kupo.

Lady Eiko comes here everyday to pray and burn incense for her ancestors.

I...
You'll get it back.

...Okay.

They attempted to become one with nature through their summon magic research. The tribe migrated to this location 500 years ago. But now...

Early summoners were scientists in a way, communing with eidolons to better understand nature and the nature of the planet. Yet something has happened to wipe them out. Why? Did they suddenly anger an eidolon? Was there a more powerful force that felt threatened or that desired their power?

And more importantly when will dinner be ready I've been starving all day over here!

Pale... White hair... Strange clothes...

Zidane look for man named Kuja. I called Quina.
...Oh! You chased Mog on the Conde Petie Mountain Path! I'm Eiko!

Smell good.

The heat too low.
You can cook?
Is my destiny to pursue way of gourmand!

Quina is a professional chef and has quite the extensive palate. S/he may be weird, but who better to help us pull off this meal?

Hrm... I know how many people live in this village. Is Zidane's group, the moogles, and me make 11 people. Is good amount.

Was not possible to make enough for everyone.

I teach you very important lesson in cooking.

Maybe more people show up. Maybe your guests very hungry.

This doesn't work so well when you're cooking for one and you end up with a large amount of leftovers and you get sick of the drat meal after the fourth day of having them.

This your only ingredient for stew?
Mocha went to dig up some rock-fisted potatoes.
Is problem now with heat. How we get more heat? Hmm...

I know black mage. I ask him make fire.

Some important cooking advice from Quina. Always prepare more than you expect to need, and always have a black mage handy to cook higher quantities.

We moogles also help Eiko protect the wall. Don't mess it up!
Where are all the other people of her tribe?
...I can't tell you.

At last, dinner is ready.

Kupopopo!

What's his name...? Quina? S/he helped me.
S/he helped you without eating all the food? Amazing.
Vivi, too!
Hehehe.

-----

Wow, this stew tastes amazing! You should start a restaurant. The fish is just right.

Are they hiding underground or something?
Underground? Yeah.

What...?

I've been living with moogles ever since my grandpa died last year.
I'm sorry...

Ten years ago, which is four years before I was born...

But my mom and dad fell in love and had a family. Not that I remember what they look like, because they died when I was very young.
I see...

Eiko is the last of the tribe of summoners, which means as far as we know she and Dagger are the only people left who naturally can summon eidolons. Pretty weird how a tribe of people who commune with nature end up succumbing to a natural disaster, though.

Huh?

uhhhhhhhhhhh

How did you know!? Darn it!
(How does Eiko know about that play? This place is far from the Mist Continent.)

-----

Thanks, Eiko!
That was really good!
See? Don't you wanna eat my food everyday?
Maybe. Hey, there's some other stuff I wanna ask you.
Maybe!?

Before we do so, let's check in with Dagger.

I think this one is Lord Avon's 'Wishing Upon a Star.' Can you believe this? This is a first edition! I've only ever seen one at the castle library! Why does she own books that are more than 500 years old...?

It is pretty odd that so many of these books still exist in good condition after that many centuries. Perhaps this was some sort of library before the disaster?

Anyway, let's get the dirty work over with.

Those two are going nowhere fast. Well, this is good news for me!

Thanks, Zidane. Could you leave it there?

What about the Iifa Tree?
We want to go there.
It's sealed with an eidolon. You can't get in.
Sealed? Did you seal it, Eiko?
Well...

It's our custom to seal a failed eidolon where we summon it.
An eidolon you failed to summon...?

We get control again, so we talk again.

Wh-What!? No way!
It's not like we're gonna do anything bad... Well, I'm sure we can handle it on our own.
No way! Are you crazy!?

Welp, no luck on that front.

Off to the side we can get another coffee we need to get some dumb trinket or whatever.

Zidane, I make great discovery! These fish different from Mist Continent fish!

And this will occupy Quina's time for awhile longer.

It's been a long day of dialogue and more dialogue. Let's sleep so we can get even more dialogue.

-----

CAVERN WIND ECHO-TYPE NOISES

Vivi...

I tried to stop worrying about things, but I just can't. I know you told me not to think too much, but...
That's because we're different, Vivi.

I want to stop... I don't wanna feel like this anymore. What if I keep feeling like this?
Vivi...

Either you do or you don't.

It's not fair...but that's the way things are. The choice is yours.
Zidane...
I just wanna protect the people I'm with. Doesn't matter whether I can or not. It's what I believe in.

Zidane is the man for me! He's right. You either do, or you don't.

There's something that seems to hold Eiko back from simply joining Zidane and company outright. She clearly wants human company again, yet she's hesitant until hearing Zidane's daily Vivi pep-talk to follow what she wants. Maybe she's afraid to leave Madain Sari for some reason.

Uh-huh.

Doesn't it feel nice to let yourself go under the stars?

For some reason, Eiko isn't as receptive to that advice.

-----

When I first saw the Eidolon Wall, I was scared... But when I went inside and saw the murals, they calmed me. I want to see more.
Sure. We'll come back after we check out the Iifa Tree.
Thank you...

Quina found their way home before, s/he could certainly do it again.

Eiko is only six years old. She acts tough, but I think she's lonely.
I haven't seen her today...

Tee hee.

You're coming with us?
Don't you want me to?
Of course I want you to come along!

Vivi, Dagger, let's have fun!

Let's go!

Huh? What do you mean by that?
Forget I asked...

...Okay, maybe that time she actually was jealous.

You think so, too?

Sure thing!

Not really.

And so am I. Next time, the Iifa Tree.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
E: level 1 update should wait for the next page!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
One thing that's kind of neat you can't really see in the screenshots is that those moogles come out of the freakin' woodwork to support Eiko. Both shots with them popping up to support her are just like 'Eiko says something about the moogles AND SUDDENLY MOOGLES.'

Also Zidane is pretty good here, supporting Dagger and Vivi while keeping things moving. Even if the latter half of his advice is to 'piss away the troubles.'

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Zidane is the best protagonist.

(I think this was drawn by Zac Gorman but I dunno)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So, DID picking the proper moogles have an effect on the dinner conversation? I can't see any difference from usual.

I DO know that if you choose to put the oglop in the food, Vivi will suddenly notice it around the time Eiko quotes the play, bringing the conversation to a screeching halt. It's actually kinda funny.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So because of this, I alwas thought of Eiko as a Summoner, while I thought of Dagger as a White Mage. These thoughts were reinforced by Dagger wearing the White Mage Robe at the beginning, and Eiko having a horn on her head.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bufuman posted:

So, DID picking the proper moogles have an effect on the dinner conversation? I can't see any difference from usual.

I DO know that if you choose to put the oglop in the food, Vivi will suddenly notice it around the time Eiko quotes the play, bringing the conversation to a screeching halt. It's actually kinda funny.

As far as I can tell, no. As long as you get everything else you get the 'best' comments from Zidane.

Also, Eiko's Kitchen 2 is even funnier if you name Quina as Kuja.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

As far as I can tell, no. As long as you get everything else you get the 'best' comments from Zidane.

Also, Eiko's Kitchen 2 is even funnier if you name Quina as Kuja.

I'm guessing Qus pronounce "J"s like Spanish, "H" so Ku-ha. Whereas Kuja's pronounced like an English "jay". No basis for this theory, but just something to explain away people like you trying to get Quina in trouble.

Why no, I never named Sabin MrThou or Terra Mama, why are you insinuating such a thing after I made that statement?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

FeyerbrandX posted:

I'm guessing Qus pronounce "J"s like Spanish, "H" so Ku-ha. Whereas Kuja's pronounced like an English "jay". No basis for this theory, but just something to explain away people like you trying to get Quina in trouble.

Why no, I never named Sabin MrThou or Terra Mama, why are you insinuating such a thing after I made that statement?

I'm guessing you renamed Red XIII something undignified like Nanaki. :P

I always end up forgetting the proper choices for the kitchen stuff, and as such get no praise for Quina. Really, there are no meaningful changes as far as I can remember.

Gotta wonder as to the effectiveness of Zidane's friendly chats if Vivi is needing them daily... (how do you use the sad vivi smily?)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Well what if I named Quina Quan? Explain the scene where Vivi tries to ask about him. :colbert:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is my favorite part of the game coming up. For me it's when it really starts getting interesting.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

Fister Roboto posted:

This is my favorite part of the game coming up. For me it's when it really starts getting interesting.

What, the Black Mage village didn't do it for you? :colbert:

Jokes aside, this continent is probably what really started drawing me in about FF9's lore/setting. The Black Mage village, which I wasn't able to comment on earlier, is easily up there in one of my favorite locations for FF9 and FF in general, especially with the sound design that invokes Mysidia's music in FF4. And now with Madain Sari, there's this wonderful sort of "lost civilization" vibe a la Pompeii , so stuff like finding the wall with all the eidolon pictures, and the dilapidated buildings was a real treat.

Bad Seafood posted:

Zidane is the best protagonist.

(I think this was drawn by Zac Gorman but I dunno)

And until you said otherwise, the art and writing style remind me a lot of Kate Beaton's stuff.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I imagine Zidane had a lot of time to think about the stakes of life and death when he was off on that doomed journey to find his home. But that's not really the sort of thing you can pass on just with words.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/SmiteSA/status/746123112190775296

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
I have been waiting for three updates to post this rather relevant song. drat glad the time finally came around. :allears:

I also like the touch that Dagger has said she can Summon, but hasn't quite gotten around to telling Eiko what happened to the Eidolons she used to have. FF9 writing team, you're doing trauma properly. :thumbsup:

SorataYuy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 9, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Glazius posted:

I imagine Zidane had a lot of time to think about the stakes of life and death when he was off on that doomed journey to find his home. But that's not really the sort of thing you can pass on just with words.

But it seems to be something you can... piss on!!!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

SorataYuy posted:

I have been waiting for three updates to post this rather relevant song. drat glad the time finally came around. :allears:

I also like the touch that Dagger has said she can Summon, but hasn't quite gotten around to telling Eiko what happened to the Eidolons she used to have. FF9 writing team, you're doing trauma properly. :thumbsup:

For people concerned about spoilers, that video contains a clip from the final FMV in the game. The song itself is safe though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
there are a lot of hints that Zidane is more than just a skirt chaser, but once you get to the Outer Continent, it gets a lot more explicit that he's been through some poo poo but has come out okay, which I like

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 10, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I really wonder why they decided to have Eiko as 6 years old specifically.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

I really wonder why they decided to have Eiko as 6 years old specifically.

Having her very young makes a good chunk of sense for what they wanted to do with her. They wanted her born after whatever disaster befell Madain Sari, they wanted her young enough to not really know the history and heritage of her home, they want to show how lonely she is and how desperate she is for friends that aren't moogles, and they wanted to push the Zidane crush in an innocent way partly for humor but for a couple other small reasons that we'll see in the next several updates.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER 11: The bandersnatches comes closer and then it gets shot. Where did climhazzard come from Beatrix!

This is it. The Alexandrian Gaunlet. Between the last save point and the next are six battles with no real rest that are all different. First up is Beatrix 3.

If her normal attack rolls low, Papito barely survives it. Ratchel absorbs Thunder Slash due to the coral ring.

Everyone else gets one-shot.

Tinhank has the Power Belt w/ MP Attack and the Ice Brand. His physicals are the big winner today.

Papito's Bios aren't as hot but they're still the 2nd best damage today. After two casts he has 12 MP left, enough for a Fira.

Gitan... is not very useful. It's okay if he gets slain.

Unfortunately, right before the attack that would've ended the battle, Tinhank gets slain.

Then her normal attack does not roll low.

Beatrix 3 is really hard. The hardest battles at level 1 are the ones where you have to play completely normally without any tricks, because suddenly the fact that the game expects you to gain levels rears its ugly head.

Let's try it again!

Luckily she wastes a bit more time by hitting less useful characters.

Ratchel can contribute a bit of damage with Lancer. I usually have her on item duty to fling phoenix downs.

Luckily, things work out this time, if only somewhat.

I have seen this cutscene a few dozen more times than I want to admit! Despite Beatrix 3 being such a slobberknocker, this is only the beginning!

Now's the Bandersnatch fight with Beatrix and Ratchel.

Suddenly, Beatrix is not so impressive at level 1, when anything a bandersnatch does wrecks her.

And she doesn't have Insomnia to null Tongue.

Eventually, Ratchel gets the chance to off herself...

Then Beatrix drops the motherfucker with a Climhazzard.

Not all levels can be avoided, but that's okay as Beatrix gets to mop them up. She's... not one of the final party members, sadly.

But for now, we have one character who gets to have... the power.

My good ol' Reflect Ring finally gets to work

. Gitan gets it because he has 18 magic stones, enough for Auto-Reflect and Auto-Potion.

Papito has 14, one short of even Auto-Reflect.

After all, it's Stopping time.

Tents as means of ailments comes into play. Muting these guys is a big deal.

Besides that, it's spamming Stop until it sticks.

You know, when the unaffected guys aren't killing us. Gitan has reflect for no higher reason than that these guys are very brutal and can wipe the party very fast. This is possible without the reflect ring but it's a lot more hazardous.

As for Auto-Potion? They still have a physical attack that two-shots Gitan.

HP +10% worked for something!!???!?!?!

Once they're all blinded and silenced, it's a matter of just casting Stop enough.

I get 2 AP for the trouble. :toot:

Things are still going, though!

Tents can work but if you wanna save on those, it isn't as essential as it is with the Type Cs.

Soul Blade with The Ogre blinds them, and that's enough to null most of the danger. Their Thundaras are at 27 attack, as opposed to the Type C's 22, so no lucky survival there.

Don't be afraid to use Ethers. In fact if even one Stop misses, you'll have to.

Once again, we're through.

Tinhank and Kukri's existential crises last long enough for fight number four to catch up with us.

It's just one Bandersnatch, though. Same tactics apply. Blind it, stop it.

If Gitan has turns to spare, Steal is a fantastic way to spend them. Both the Type Cs and Bandersnatches have Tents as their uncommon steal.

Papito's glow is due to Shell. It isn't enough to stop a Bandersnatch's Thundara, in retrospect, but Protect and Shell can turn some OHKOs into 2HKOs which is all I need sometimes.

Once again, we're through.

Kukri masters Cure from this. Cure's kinda handy but not essential by any means.

We go back to Ratchel and Beatrix for fight #5.

Inexplicably, Beatrix is healed to full between the two fights through Ratchel's still dead on the ground.

Unfortunately, Beatrix's ATB was too low and the Bandersnatches' were too high.

She's caught on the back foot until they finally get the 1-2 punch.

And you know what? I get to do ALL THAT AGAIN!!

The Gauntlet is ridiculous.

Okay, Beatrix 3 again.

Gitan's attack is the weakest but every bit counts. Beatrix 3 has 5,709 HP to chop through.

Thunder Slash and Shock are magical. Not really relevant when their attack scores are far too high to reckon with (46, 81).

Okay that's Beatrix 3 through. Again.

Now for the first Bandersnatch. Again.

...Oh.

Bandersnatches have 899 HP.

I got lucky and had a very high roll the first time.

gently caress.

Ughhh why does it have to open with Beatrix 3?

Then again if it were at the end this would be more obnoxious.

Gitan's attack is the weakest and this bit didn't count.

At least this loving thing kicks off the marathon instead of ending it, you know?

I am SO done with watching Gitan put Kukri on a couch.

Tinhank's attack is the most important thing here. 4 of them by itself could end the fight. He never, ever uses items, just attacks.

Cura is a relief as it means Beatrix is using one of her turns to not kill someone, and it heals a little less than what Bio does.

Ratchel has Cover equipped. I don't bother healing someone after a phoenix down entirely to use that. Her turn is far less useful than Papito's, after all. And if she covers a Thunder Slash, then we're golden.

Gitan's attack is the weakest and this little bit did it.

Okay, new strategy.

Beatrix hits it once.

Then Ratchel offs herself and then Climhazzard.

The menuing here is obnoxious as I have to do it over again each time. I have to take the Power Belt from Tinhank, I have to give Gitan Auto-Reflect, I have to re-gear Kukri...

And then I fight these bastards.

Shell works here, as Papito only took 56 damage from a Fira. If it doesn't one-shot him, Auto-Potion kicks in.

Gitan trances. It's useless. He has 3 useful Trances the entire game at level 1, and we've seen two of them.

(800-gil yoink)

I'm glad whenever this thing is over. It means I'm over the hardest parts.

Bandersnatches aren't as relentless as Type C's, after all.

Kukri uses Life instead of Phoenix Downs entirely because it costs MP instead of gil.

She, Papito, Tinhank, and Ratchel have Insomnia. Gitan can't due to having Auto-Reflect taking up most of his magic stones.

Bandersnatched!

It keeps going, this poo poo.

Luckily, Papito scores a hit on his first Stop.

We're finally back here.

Thankfully, only one Bandersnatch goes before her and it elects to Rush her, which deals far less damage.

Climhazzard is now a consistent OHKO. Its base damage is 2(atk)-magic defense. For Beatrix against Bandersnatches that's 36, before the rest of the formula.

Stock Break is x1.5-defense, and Shock is x3-def. Climhazzard is magical for reasons I'll never know.

Thunder Slash is nothing like when boss Beatrix uses it. It's a percentile damage attack that deals 19% of the target's max HP, and has a base accuracy of 0%.

Wow!

What happened there?

Her weapon has a weird property that basic physicals get +1 attack per level. So now her Attack would be 34. But her skills always use the base 23.

Finally, fight #6, two more Bandersnatches. You want to help, Tinhank?

First, pop an Elixir on Beatrix so she can Climhazzard again.

And then? Die.

EAT poo poo LOSERS.

Beatrix ends this adventure at level 13, an almost reasonable normal person level for this period. She is a god among mortals.

And we're back with Gitan, Papito, and Kukri here. The door to the north still has the save moogle, so that means.. we made it! The Alexandrian Gauntlet is over!

It only took two hours!

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset; incredible number of resets for phoenix down RNG; and then again; Marcus gained levels; Snared by the Mandragoras leaving Quan's Dwelling; Only one on a pointless phoenix down rng; Antlion did not cooperate; Again, Antlion did not cooperate; Soldiers beaten too hard once; twice; thrice; Gitan lied Cleyrans died; Tinhank and Marcus didn't make it; bonus fourth Soldier beating; Alexandrian Gauntlet toll: Beatrix 3, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 2, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 1, Beatrix 3.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Fools like you will never learn.

Wow, that looked rough.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I remember getting a Game Over at this part once because Beatrix got hit with Tongue and then Thundara'd to death on a non-Level 1 run.

You have my sympathies.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I do hope Sheep's run will be included in the archive.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Unwinnable boss fights should still progress the plot when you lose, no game overs. Beatrix should be recruitable by beating her in a winnable, optional boss fight later on in the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

I do hope Sheep's run will be included in the archive.

Been updating it in the second post, definitely plan to have it included.

Also, holy crap. Hopefully that was the worst it gets for awhile.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mega64 posted:

Been updating it in the second post, definitely plan to have it included.

Also, holy crap. Hopefully that was the worst it gets for awhile.

There are a few rough spots throughout the game, but I think this is genuinely the hardest it gets for a long time. I think the next hard bit is the Iifa Tree gauntlets.

Disc 2 is actually really light on bosses. Post-Beatrix I think we have... what, three actual bosses left? And we've already seen one of them (Lani).

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah, this part is tricky and requires some luck even with the right preparation. My first level 1 run attempt ended here, but at least I learned two valuable lessons: One, always stock up on Phoenix Downs, shops aren't always available. Two, rotate your saves, idiot.

Nice job on fighting Beatrix head on, I never have the guts. My preferred method is cowering behind four Coral Rings until she gets bored.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
yeah I still dont know what the hell happened to Thunder Slash

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Programming error.

Allegedly improves the hit rate of another unrelated skill, however, so it still might be worth getting if that turns out to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
And that's why I don't do level 1 runs. I barely have the patience for RNG prayer bullshit on normal runs. Not to mention that I couldn't be unluckier if I walked under a ladder while breaking a mirror on the head of the black cat that was crossing my path, so that poo poo would probably take me a few years.

• Locked thread