Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The guy also doesn't really know how to movie properly as Robocop. That's an extremely underrated part of Weller's performance, he totally sells the robotic movements and stayed unbelievably consistent with it in every single scene.

For some thread content: Horror fans should watch Baskin on Netflix. Just be prepared for some serious poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Basebf555 posted:

The guy also doesn't really know how to movie properly as Robocop. That's an extremely underrated part of Weller's performance, he totally sells the robotic movements and stayed unbelievably consistent with it in every single scene.

For some thread content: Horror fans should watch Baskin on Netflix. Just be prepared for some serious poo poo.

Oh man, I've been putting off renting this on Prime. Good to hear it's on Netflix.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The drama of two robots shooting each other in the chest numerous times, nothing happening, and one just walks trundles away when he decides the scene is over.

It deserves to be on RedLetterMedia's Best of the Worst show. You would think at least one person chasing robocop would bring some sort of anti-cyborg bullets especially when they are contracted from the company that made the cyborg in the first place.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 10, 2016

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Basebf555 posted:

This was just ok. I really like horror movies and the first hour or so was pretty good. Then it just ran out of steam and devolved into a lame gore film. However, for a movie filmed in a month that costs only a few hundred thousand, it was pretty good.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

enigmahfc posted:

The Robocop suit is way too big for the actor playing him and doesn't fit him well, and they can't even using the music from the movies. And Bone Machine looks like a bad knock-off of a fan-made Mortal Kombat character. And they make one guy look older by giving him a really fake mustache and gray eyebrows.

I barely made it through the first one, but feel compelled to watch the other three. What is wrong with me?
I'm amazed that they're trying to sell the digital version of all 4, for 8 bucks each. They look really bad, and I mean I sat through Robocop 2 and 3 more than once.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

This was just ok. I really like horror movies and the first hour or so was pretty good. Then it just ran out of steam and devolved into a lame gore film. However, for a movie filmed in a month that costs only a few hundred thousand, it was pretty good.

In the horror thread, not everyone liked it. As a $7 rental it was hard to recommend because some people weren't going to think it was worth it. For free on Netflix though, every horror fan should check it out because there really isn't anything else like it that came out this year.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

coyo7e posted:

I'm amazed that they're trying to sell the digital version of all 4, for 8 bucks each. They look really bad, and I mean I sat through Robocop 2 and 3 more than once.
The first time I encountered Robocop 3 on TV I figured it was an episode of the TV show. When Nancy Allen showed up I realized it was something much, much worse. If you ever want a textbook definition of somebody phoning in an appearance, just look at her performance in that movie. Actually, don't, because then you would be watching Robocop 3.

I can't imagine sitting through the TV movies. I heard they had to saw off parts of the suit legs to fit the shorter actor. Rob Bottin was not amused when he learned about that.

I guess it speaks to the quality of the first movie that they managed to build an entire franchise around it despite none of it being worth a drat.

david_a fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 10, 2016

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Basebf555 posted:

Peter Weller worked with a professional mime for months to figure out the movements. The guys in the miniseries just kinda walked funny.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Erebus posted:

Peter Weller worked with a professional mime for months to figure out the movements. The guys in the miniseries just kinda walked funny.

He worked with a mime for months to figure out movements that turned out to be completely incompatible with the suit as a physical object that he had to wear. The actual style he used was developed with the mime over the course of an hour with Weller actually in the suit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

He worked with a mime for months to figure out movements that turned out to be completely incompatible with the suit as a physical object that he had to wear. The actual style he used was developed with the mime over the course of an hour with Weller actually in the suit.

The main thing that seems really important is how his head never moves together with the rest of his body. He always moves his head to the side first, then the torso follows as if they're completely separate parts.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Peter Weller is also deep into ancient history. Some nerd interviewed him after a screening of The Dark Knight Returns and asked what his ideal project would be, and he answered with Pergamum. Peter Weller rules.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I was thinking about Sherlock again and how far it has fallen and can't remember if I'm mistaken with this or what. The newest 1800s wacky special thing shows that he uses drugs (cocaine and morphine in ye olde times, unspecified in now times iirc) but I thought the whole point of him using nicotine patches in the way early episodes was their way to modernize/homage to the books where he does use drugs. Did they just toss that out the window or am I missing something.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Hirsute posted:

Agreed, one of the funniest TV episodes I've ever seen.

Also, Bojack Horseman is amazing, and if you like its brand of pitch-black humor and genuinely interesting characters with soul-crushing emotional problems, the Adult Swim show Moral Orel is streaming on Hulu and is almost as good (especially the last 2 seasons).

This so much. There were times I was watching Moral Orel and I would just say "holy poo poo". It is extremely dark and funny.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Fun fact: The Robocop TV movies are what drove Rob Bottin, the original designer of the Robocop suit and sfx guru behind The Thing, out of the business. They needed a suit to get started on production so he very kindly lent them the original on the condition they don't alter it with out him being present or at least consulted, and then without so much as a phone call they took a hacksaw to the legs so it would fit the shorty they got to play Murphy. Bottin was so loving pissed he retired once he finished the projects he was already on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Fun fact: The Robocop TV movies are what drove Rob Bottin, the original designer of the Robocop suit and sfx guru behind The Thing, out of the business. They needed a suit to get started on production so he very kindly lent them the original on the condition they don't alter it with out him being present or at least consulted, and then without so much as a phone call they took a hacksaw to the legs so it would fit the shorty they got to play Murphy. Bottin was so loving pissed he retired once he finished the projects he was already on.

Suddenly they're not so funny anymore.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Apparently Bottin sells real-estate now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
He helped with Game of Thrones Season 4

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Peter Weller is also deep into ancient history. Some nerd interviewed him after a screening of The Dark Knight Returns and asked what his ideal project would be, and he answered with Pergamum. Peter Weller rules.

Another Peter Weller fun fact(s), he's made bank as a working TV director and is super into Italy. He bought a villa in the very tiny town of Positano and has a PhD in Italian art, I believe.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Another Peter Weller fun fact(s), he's made bank as a working TV director and is super into Italy. He bought a villa in the very tiny town of Positano and has a PhD in Italian art, I believe.
I could swear I've seen him in the credits of a couple movies I've loved but I had no idea where :aaa:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Edit: Wrong thread

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He helped with Game of Thrones Season 4

Was season 4 the one where the Mountain crushed that dudes head, because that would make total sense.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Rough Lobster posted:

Was season 4 the one where the Mountain crushed that dudes head, because that would make total sense.

Right season, wrong episode. Bottin did make up and special effects for Joffrey's death.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Did I ever tell you about the man who taught his rear end in a top hat to talk?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Peter Weller is both Robocop and Buckaroo Banzai and oh my god, I've just realized I've accomplished nothing in my life.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

caligulamprey posted:

Peter Weller is both Robocop and Buckaroo Banzai and oh my god, I've just realized I've accomplished nothing in my life.
He's also a professor of Renaissance architecture!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

caligulamprey posted:

Weller's nothing. Peter Cushing played Dr. Frankenstein, Van Helsing, AND Sherlock Holmes. Klaus Kinski somehow got to play both Dracula AND Renfield in two different movies made like ten years apart. Harrison Ford is self-explanatory.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Why does Prime have so much
" https://www.amazon.com/Party-House-...85%3A2470955011 " 4-5 minute videos clogging up my searches? Where did this poo poo come from? Do they count this crap when they decide to boast about their video numbers?

And jesus don't actually watch that, I fear it will give whatever bullshit artist that made it a dime.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Talking poo poo about the Wolf Rock Band?? Mods????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b34juzcYlU0

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

Weller's nothing. Peter Cushing played Dr. Frankenstein, Van Helsing, AND Sherlock Holmes. Klaus Kinski somehow got to play both Dracula AND Renfield in two different movies made like ten years apart. Harrison Ford is self-explanatory.

I'm just saying, playing both William S. Burroughs and Robocop in the same lifetime is the kind of thing that just cannot be hosed with. That is an unassailable double play.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Junkie Disease posted:

" https://www.amazon.com/Party-House-...85%3A2470955011 " 4-5 minute videos clogging up my searches? Where did this poo poo come from? Do they count this crap when they decide to boast about their video numbers?

And jesus don't actually watch that, I fear it will give whatever bullshit artist that made it a dime.

Just use instantwatcher and set the slider to exclude short videos.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ChickenMedium posted:

Just use instantwatcher and set the slider to exclude short videos.

Don't always have the luxury or want to prime via comp.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Junkie Disease posted:

I watched it and it is an unironic version of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNxGym3SrkI&t=34s

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Why is No country for old men not available for me to watch again for the fourth or fifth time?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stumpus posted:

Why is No country for old men not available for me to watch again for the fourth or fifth time?

No Country For Old Men is worthy of a blu ray purchase in my opinion. If you're going to watch a movie four or five times why not?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Basebf555 posted:

No Country For Old Men is worthy of a blu ray purchase in my opinion. If you're going to watch a movie four or five times why not?

It's also like $5 on Amazon

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It's worth watching once if that I guess so ?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was just watching Joy Ride cause why not and I never realized that was JJ Abrams.

Also it's more entertaining than I remember.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

drunken officeparty posted:

It's worth watching once if that I guess so ?

Totally. Do a shot of bracing whiskey or two before hand.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Watched Baskin based on this thread. I think the director shows some real promise, but you can sort of tell its a debut effort. It's gritty, reasonably well shot, and ambitious, but just a little inconsistent, and the super tropey ending felt kind of lazy. I hope somebody gives this guy a bigger budget though. Kind of like a mix between [Rec] and Hellraiser except way more Turkish. If they had the budget to deliver on one of the demons they hint at when they first arrive to Inceagac as the finale, I think I'd be more enthusiastic about recommending it. It's still worth a watch since Turkish cinema doesn't usually reach this kind of audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Tokyo Drift is up on Netflix. Still the best of the series and holds up well. And it's a spiritual remake of the initial D movie. I love it