Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Yeah, the Churchill always seemed like a real workhorse tank in it's niche. It's true it's not really a very tanky kind of tank, though, it seems like it kind of sat in the role that Germany designed the StuG for.

Also, while it was slow it was kind of infamously good at crossing bad ground and going up steep slopes! :eng101:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What's the measure of how tanky a tank is? :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

spectralent posted:

Yeah, the Churchill always seemed like a real workhorse tank in it's niche. It's true it's not really a very tanky kind of tank, though, it seems like it kind of sat in the role that Germany designed the StuG for.

Also, while it was slow it was kind of infamously good at crossing bad ground and going up steep slopes! :eng101:
this is extremely my poo poo

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

my dad posted:

This is a good question because in terms of keeping aggro and having enough armour and health to survive doing that it did pretty well :v:

I guess I mean "It was bad at the kind of sweeping armoured maneuvers most other armoured vehicles do", it was a dedicated infantry support vehicle.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this same sort of thing is why noerdlingen is my second favorite battle of the thirty years war. "find some good ground and dig a fortification on it" isn't sexy, but it gets poo poo done.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

is it a stalin fan

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nebakenezzer posted:

PS> I know I've already said it in this thread, but I love how people latched onto the idea of super-mega-tanks the instant they came up with the idea of tanks

It would take some time for tank designers to understand the benefits of sloped glacis again...

As for Churchill, it had the advantage of being roomy enough to allow for lots of different solutions. The first versions had a howitzer in the hull, but this went out of fashion really quick. Unfortunately the Brits couldn't come up with what they wanted from the tank, so they put high velocity 57mm tank killers, medium velocity 75mm multipurpose guns and low velocity 95mm infantry killers on them, probably on random basis, hoping that at least one version would succeed. What a weird design philosophy.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 10, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

is it a stalin fan

These threads crush kulaks?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HEY GAL posted:

this same sort of thing is why noerdlingen is my second favorite battle of the thirty years war. "find some good ground and dig a fortification on it" isn't sexy, but it gets poo poo done.

I thought being sexy was what your guys were all about

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

I thought being sexy was what your guys were all about

edit: male calves are erotic in this culture, like a guy with good calves is really hot. it might be because that's the only part of the male anatomy you can really see. that and his head and hands, everything else is a thousand miles of FABRIC EVERYWHERE

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 10, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

OK, EE, please correct me if I'm wrong on this. The Ferdinand had a loony toons hybrid drive system (gasoline/electric for those that don't know) because Prof. Porsche was obsessed with the idea of very large tanks, and once you get so big you actually have to use the hybrid system? Porsche was right, BTW, the tracked vehicle thing that moves the space shuttle uses engines generating electricity to drive the treads, and those crazy huge coal miner things use the same system (though conveniently they don't need an engine; they just plug themselves in via a gigantic power cable.)

PS> I know I've already said it in this thread, but I love how people latched onto the idea of super-mega-tanks the instant they came up with the idea of tanks

You don't *have* to, but it helps. The advantage of driving your tank with an electric motor is that you can simply adjust the value of a resistor to change how much current goes to the final drive. No clumsy gearboxes or discrete gears, only nice smooth continuous luxury. The downside of this is you have to use two tons of copper per tank, which is all sorts of unacceptable, especially at wartime when you can't even get enough nickel for your armour.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

It would take some time for tank designers to understand the benefits of sloped glacis again...

As for Churchill, it had the advantage of being roomy enough to allow for lots of different solutions. The first versions had a howitzer in the hull, but this went out of fashion really quick. Unfortunately the Brits couldn't come up with what they wanted from the tank, so they put high velocity 57mm tank killers, medium velocity 75mm multipurpose guns and low velocity 95mm infantry killers on them, probably on random basis, hoping that at least one version would succeed. What a weird design philosophy.

2-pdr in the turret, 3 inch howitzer in the hull, that's how we roll motherfuckers!

Except then the 6-pdr that replaced both of those had no HE produced for it, oops.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Legwear ain't poo poo but britches and hose

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

You don't *have* to, but it helps. The advantage of driving your tank with an electric motor is that you can simply adjust the value of a resistor to change how much current goes to the final drive. No clumsy gearboxes or discrete gears, only nice smooth continuous luxury. The downside of this is you have to use two tons of copper per tank, which is all sorts of unacceptable, especially at wartime when you can't even get enough nickel for your armour.

Oh yeah, no argument there. I'm asking was he doing these dumb, impractical things now in the hope of having useful experience when it came time to make the Maus, the Ratte, Ein Terrier (a even more super colossal war machine that I just made up) etc. Or did he do it because he thought the ideal drive train for a tank from a engineering perspective was the hybrid, as you didn't need a mashugana transmission anymore?

HEY GAL posted:

for the past few years i've been really into things that are less flashy/sexy, more workaday, utilitarian, or durable. dashing cavalry charge: no, digging a trench in the right place: yes. so this post pushed that button. tank good?

I might be able to help; what's less flashy: flying boats or Torpedo bomber biplanes?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I haven't read any reasoning one way or the other, only people's opinions on the end product.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

:vince:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HEY GAL posted:

Say hello to most of the battles of the ACW.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

2-pdr in the turret, 3 inch howitzer in the hull, that's how we roll motherfuckers!

Except then the 6-pdr that replaced both of those had no HE produced for it, oops.
Which is why those were converted to take the same 75mm round that the Sherman did at the same time the Centaur became the Cromwell.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

The fact that you inverted the line is triggering me hard.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Frontline experience. The Ferdinand was expected to be a hell of a lot more common than it ended up being. I don't know when/if the GRU discovered that production was very limited, but the IS-4 was envisioned as an anti-Ferdinand tank.

Can you direct me to sources for this? I would love to read up on what the Soviets were thinking when they saw the Tigers and Ferdinands. Assuming its in English and not Russian of course.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Britches ain't poo poo but hose and tricks

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

lenoon posted:

Britches ain't poo poo but hose and tricks

I hate that I have to point this out.

Britches ain't poo poo but hose and stitch.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

mlmp08 posted:

I hate that I have to point this out.

Britches ain't poo poo but hose and stitch.

When you'r hanging with the war folk you need to know that britches get stitches.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

You don't *have* to, but it helps. The advantage of driving your tank with an electric motor is that you can simply adjust the value of a resistor to change how much current goes to the final drive.

Jesus, is that how they actually did it? Just a big honking rheostat? That's insane, that's the most ridiculously inefficient way of implementing a variable current supply they could have possibly picked.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Today I learned that tanks can jump:

wiki posted:

Cromwell was the fastest British tank to serve in the Second World War, with a top speed of 40 mph (64 km/h). This speed was extremely beneficial in both attack and defence, outmanoeuvring opponents. At least one case is known of vehicle commanders using the vehicles fast speed to jump large gaps - In Holland, a troop of three Cromwell's was able to leap a 20 ft wide canal when surprised by enemy forces.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I hope that was accompanied by slow mo and a slide whistle sound effect.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PittTheElder posted:

That story is actually amazing. It turns out that the troop commander had ended up in possession of a mild steel training tank that had no armour, and the way they found this out is that they managed to totally clear the canal while the other two tanks in the troop didn't quite and had a moment of cartoon teetering before the tracks bit and pulled them up over the edge. The entire book is full of "and then I did something stupid that worked" in the best British tradition :britain: https://www.amazon.com/Troop-Leader-Tank-Commanders-Story/dp/0750945346

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This was just posted in the Cold War thread:

Captain von Trapp posted:

This is neither air power nor cold war, but when I happened to see it on the Wikipedia main page today I thought the thread would enjoy the history of the Swedish warship Vasa. She was a new kind of flagship, armed to the teeth and decorated decorated to the gills. Her maiden voyage was on 10 August 1628. A little over one kilometer into that voyage, she encountered a breeze, tipped over, and promptly sank. Wikipedia's description of the subsequent inquiry is the fun part:

quote:

The Council sent a letter to the king the day after the loss, telling him of the sinking, but it took over two weeks to reach him in Poland. "Imprudence and negligence" must have been the cause, he wrote angrily in his reply, demanding in no uncertain terms that the guilty parties be punished.[28] Captain Söfring Hansson, who survived the disaster, was immediately taken for questioning. Under initial interrogation, he swore that the guns had been properly secured and that the crew was sober. A full inquest before a tribunal of members of the Privy Council and Admiralty took place at the Royal Palace on 5 September 1628. Each of the surviving officers was questioned as was the supervising shipwright and a number of expert witnesses. Also present at the inquest was the Admiral of the Realm, Carl Carlsson Gyllenhielm. The object of the inquest was as much or more to find a scapegoat as to find out why the ship had sunk. Whoever the committee might find guilty for the fiasco would face a severe penalty.[28]

Surviving crew members were questioned one by one about the handling of the ship at the time of the disaster. Was it rigged properly for the wind? Was the crew sober? Was the ballast properly stowed? Were the guns properly secured? However, no one was prepared to take the blame. Crewmen and contractors formed two camps; each tried to blame the other, and everyone swore he had done his duty without fault and it was during the inquest that the details of the stability demonstration were revealed.[29]

Next, attention was directed to the shipbuilders. "Why did you build the ship so narrow, so badly and without enough bottom that it capsized?" the prosecutor asked the shipwright Jacobsson.[30] Jacobsson stated that he built the ship as directed by Henrik Hybertsson (long since dead and buried), who in turn had followed the specification approved by the king. Jacobsson had in fact widened the ship by 1 foot 5 inches (c. 42 cm) after taking over responsibility for the construction, but construction of the ship was too far advanced to allow further widening.[30]

In the end, no guilty party could be found. The answer Arendt de Groote gave when asked by the court why the ship sank was "Only God knows". Gustavus Adolphus had approved all measurements and armaments, and the ship was built according to the instructions and loaded with the number of guns specified. In the end, no one was punished or found guilty for negligence, and the blame effectively fell on Henrik Hybertsson.[31]

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Procurement. . . procurement never changes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

MikeC posted:

Can you direct me to sources for this? I would love to read up on what the Soviets were thinking when they saw the Tigers and Ferdinands. Assuming its in English and not Russian of course.

Yeah you're not going to find an English language source for that. There's a good book on the Ferdinand by the publisher arm of Wargaming (the World of Tanks people), but they folded and took all the rumours of an English translation with them.

PittTheElder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrbCWCEO2r8

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:krad:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

This was just posted in the Cold War thread:

quote:

Under initial interrogation, he swore that the guns had been properly secured and that the crew was sober.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

only if you startle them :ohdear:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

You know what else can jump?

hostile apostle posted:

600 lb ANFO IED detonates under MRAP, Afghanistan 2015

http://gfycat.com/HonorableWetHog.gifv

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Jesus that's loving morbid.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Endman posted:

Jesus that's loving morbid.

Nobody died.

But I'm sure the TBI is a bitch.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

mlmp08 posted:

Your link is MIA.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Jesus, is that how they actually did it? Just a big honking rheostat? That's insane, that's the most ridiculously inefficient way of implementing a variable current supply they could have possibly picked.

To a degree, yes. I'm rather fuzzy on all the different flavors of electric motor, but you can adjust the amount of current in the stator windings to control the strength of the magnetic field the rotor current "pushes" against. It's much less than the full rotor current but that adjustment still has to be done via rheostat.

Vaguely related but likely of interest to the thread anyways, have the owners manuals to a WW2-era US fleet submarine. The relevant portion I want to call out is the section on the propulsion control equipment.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:staredog:

Was there someone in that thing driving it? I can only hope not.

mlmp08 posted:

mlmp08 posted:

Nobody died.

Jesus, now that's some morbid poo poo. "Nobody Died" should probably be in there with the original post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's from Afghanistan, dudes. I think it's a given that it was both crewed and someone got pretty banged up sitting inside of it. Maybe I'm just jaded, but that's war for you.