Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

OSI bean dip posted:

I want to punish low-income individuals by making good food more accessible to them. Yes. This makes sense if you are a braindead libertarian that feels like this is an assault on freedom to buy poo poo food. All I have said is make unhealthy options more expensive through taxation to subsidize the costs of good food. That is not punishment but I guess in a libertarian sense it must be!

Please tell me what your solution is to making produce and dairy cheaper than PC Cola. It is a punishment that teeth rotting, diabetes-causing cola costs $0.50 per litre where relatively healthy milk costs $1.25. Why should a parent be forced to serve their kid this stuff because they otherwise cannot afford healthier options?

Why do you want to make poor people unhealthy?

What I am objecting to is a sin tax on unhealthy food, which does not in fact inherently make healthy food any more affordable.

Interestingly enough, objecting to regressive taxation does not make you a libertarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Individual entrapped detained after RCMP warned of possible terror threat

quote:

RCMP have detained an individual after warning in an internal government memo that information had been received from a credible source that there may be a terror attack carried out in Canada today by a lone suspect.

Sources say there is no imminent risk to the public.

An RCMP release is expected shortly.

Good job, boys! :thumbsup:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Is this another mentally ill fool that they goaded into doing something stupid so that some useless rear end in a top hat could score a sweet promotion or are we giving those clownsuit wearing fucks the benefit of the doubt now

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You know, maybe with the lone wolf attacks all across Europe and a handful in the States, we shouldn't immediately jump to the worst possible conclusion when the RCMP they've detained someone they suspect of trying to carry out a terrorist attack. It's really only a matter of time until it happens in Canada.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

quote:

The internal government memo included a photo of a man wearing a balaclava, but it is not clear if the man pictured was the individual detained by RCMP.
"Lmao as long as he looks like a terrorist who the gently caress cares" -rcmp

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Fortunately, the news release clears it all up.

https://twitter.com/NatashaFatah/status/763515242752143361

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Hodgepodge posted:

What I am objecting to is a sin tax on unhealthy food, which does not in fact inherently make healthy food any more affordable.

And what I am saying is tax junk food and use the new revenue to subsidize healthier options. We tax tobacco and alcohol, so why can't we go after other things that cause health problems? Should those taxes be yanked instead?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
theyre already taxed they get hst applied to them and other groceries don't cheers bro

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

peter banana posted:

counterpoint: milk is also not healthy

What? More information on this, please, because I'm having a tough time buying it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

RBC posted:

theyre already taxed they get hst applied to them and other groceries don't cheers bro

To be fair, not all HST-taxed food is junk food, and not all unhealthy foods have HST applied.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
If you buy a dozen or more donuts at Tim Horton's, they do not need to charge GST/HST.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

El Scotch posted:

I'm not going to put water in my tea, now am I?

Adding anything to tea just ruins the delicious tea flavor and makes it taste like hot water :mad:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Adding anything to tea just ruins the delicious tea flavor and makes it taste like hot water :mad:

So do you just chew on the tea bag?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

Much like those ridiculous coffee-based monstrosities, light beers, and pretty much every Pinot Grigio you see, I'm convinced that most people do not, in fact, want their beverages to taste like what they're meant to taste like. It's just a vehicle to get sugar, caffeine, or alcohol in your body.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

OSI bean dip posted:

If you buy a dozen or more donuts at Tim Horton's, they do not need to charge GST/HST.

i dont care

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Powershift posted:

So do you just chew on the tea bag?

No you brew it in water obviously, but the flavour of the actual tea is so subtle that to me, adding milk just makes it taste like hot watery diluted milk. And if your tea is so bitter that you need to add sugar to it you brewed it wrong (too long, water too hot, etc.).

edit: I never drink coffee and I don't really drink alcohol a lot so tea is what I choose to be snobby about

PT6A posted:

Much like those ridiculous coffee-based monstrosities, light beers, and pretty much every Pinot Grigio you see, I'm convinced that most people do not, in fact, want their beverages to taste like what they're meant to taste like. It's just a vehicle to get sugar, caffeine, or alcohol in your body.

Yeah I could see that. *agreeing with PT6A ITT*

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 11, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Or it could just be lovely, cheap tea that tastes like garbage. I'll always put milk and sugar in my coffee at places that have lovely coffee for the same reason, even though black is the way to go when you have good coffee.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've had even really cheap tea taste fine if you don't use straight-up boiling water and don't let it steep for too long.

edit: I cringe when I see people walking out of Tim Hortons with a bag of tea sitting in their cup because you only need like 30 seconds of steeping to get nice sweet tea out of even cheap generic orange pekoe bags and I just know they're going to let it steep a lot longer than that, no wonder people think they need to add milk and sugar to it; also I bet they used 100 degree water which is a great way to ruin it too

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 11, 2016

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
That escalated quickly. :stare:

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/763559915331915776

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A posted:

You know, maybe with the lone wolf attacks all across Europe and a handful in the States, we shouldn't immediately jump to the worst possible conclusion when the RCMP they've detained someone they suspect of trying to carry out a terrorist attack. It's really only a matter of time until it happens in Canada.

Matter of time? We've had several terrorist attacks in the past few years in Canada. Parliament, the CF facility in Toronto,etc.

Appears this is the suspect that was killed by police officers today. Fits the profile of lone wolf terrorists. Lonely, weird, desperate young men usually with social or mental health issues.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/aaron-driver-defends-isis-attack-on-parliament-but-denies-he-s-a-threat-1.3124815

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 11, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm gonna give this Isis terrorist the benefit of the doubt and day the rcmp hosed this up again

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

OSI bean dip posted:

And what I am saying is tax junk food and use the new revenue to subsidize healthier options. We tax tobacco and alcohol, so why can't we go after other things that cause health problems? Should those taxes be yanked instead?

What you are saying is that you should use a tax that disproportionately burdens the poor to penalize them for enjoying minor luxuries, then use that money to make the healthier foods cheaper.

This sort of market-incentive-based policy actually is libertarian ideology, which you seem to be having trouble thinking outside of. The egalitarian solution would be to use progressive taxation to subsidize good food, or otherwise redistribute wealth to those who need it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Queue all the assholes on my Facebook talking about how crazy it is that a terrorist was living in Winnipeg :jihad:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

DariusLikewise posted:

Queue all the assholes on my Facebook talking about how crazy it is that a terrorist was living in Winnipeg :jihad:

Don't worry because he's actually mentally deranged.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

zapplez posted:

Matter of time? We've had several terrorist attacks in the past few years in Canada. Parliament, the CF facility in Toronto,etc.

You're right, but we haven't seen one on near the scale of the really bad ones that have happened in Europe or the US, luckily. I don't think we will continue to be so lucky for very long.

zapplez posted:

Appears this is the suspect that was killed by police officers today. Fits the profile of lone wolf terrorists. Lonely, weird, desperate young men usually with social or mental health issues.

OSI bean dip posted:

Don't worry because he's actually mentally deranged.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I read a very good article that basically asked the question: are Muslims becoming radicalized or are radicals becoming Islamized? It's an important question to ask, and one that should very much inform our response to the problem at hand.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Man, 10 years ago this guy would be posting about how much he loves dashboard confessional

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The rcmp were angry that their first made up terrorist got away so they killed the second one

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A Typical Goon posted:

The rcmp were angry that their first made up terrorist got away so they killed the second one

They also said cool one-liners when they shot him like "appeal this"

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Oh, looks like they had a live one.

Emphasis on had.

Because he's dead.

Idiot.

Behold! The Face of Terror!

If this was 1999 he'd have planned a school shooting and we'd be talking about how bad them vidya games are.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 11, 2016

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

quote is not edit.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Did the RCMP fat asses sit on another person to death?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Probably one of the less surprising things to happen. I remember when this guy was doing interviews with CBC around this time last year.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

cowofwar posted:

Did the RCMP fat asses sit on another person to death?

He was already on a peace bond for tweeting support for ISIS and Bibeau.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"Talk of explosions" I heard on the radio this morning. So I wonder what excuse they used.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/go-ttc-security-threat-1.3716341

Says there that he detonated a bomb that merely hurt him and someone else, and was shot as he tried to detonate a second one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

On another note: isn't it good to see that Jason Kenney is really, obviously focused on issues that are relevant to Albertans?

http://bit.ly/2bfAVzi

I have no idea how he could successfully be elected premier but I'm still afraid it might happen.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/go-ttc-security-threat-1.3716341

Says there that he detonated a bomb that merely hurt him and someone else, and was shot as he tried to detonate a second one.

Sounds like they were justified to use lethal force then.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

quote:

Will the loving liberal yuppies who cried when he was singled out for his terror associations apologize now? Or would they have been happier if he had been allowed to blow up dozens of innocent people? The true criminals are the losers who were defending this moron.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
So the police detained a mentally deranged person, released them to a small Ontario town where they continued to plan their attack and killed him after they got a tip that their inaction resulted in a possible terrorist attack. How is this a win for law enforcement? I hate Canadians.

quote:

Rcmp have a crazy good track record of stopping these people, most of the spoiled attempts don't even make it to the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

Man, 10 years ago this guy would be posting about how much he loves dashboard confessional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WoJV4NLxqg

Leofish posted:

Oh, looks like they had a live one.

Emphasis on had.

Because he's dead.

Idiot.

Behold! The Face of Terror!

If this was 1999 he'd have planned a school shooting and we'd be talking about how bad them vidya games are.

Looks like he Dotes