Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Ars Magica 2 is one of my favourite mods ever and I love mining using a mining power-mining power-mining power-feather touch-dig beam spell. Beam is the best spell shape (aside from zone-aoe-dig for clearing mountains). Unfortunately yeah, gets looked down upon a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Noper Q posted:

I found a cool mod I want to try out (http://psi.vazkii.us/), but I can't find any installation instructions for the mod itself. And when I tried the instructions in the first post, nothing seemed to happen. There's no indication that the mod exists in the game, and none of the mod's items appear in creative mode.

Help? I have no idea what I'm doing here; the only other time I've tried to mod Minecraft, I used the Technic launcher, and that was years ago. This time I just want to keep things simple and use this one mod.

Could be any number of issues: version mismatch, missing required dependencies, etc.

If you aren't familiar with modding, use a launcher. Trust me, it's better than surfing forums and troubleshooting if you're looking to add a single mod. Curse is perfect for this since it's easy to find and add mods through it (even if you just want one). The others are a bit more finnicky if you want to do your own thing.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Ars Magica 2 is one of my favourite mods ever and I love mining using a mining power-mining power-mining power-feather touch-dig beam spell. Beam is the best spell shape (aside from zone-aoe-dig for clearing mountains). Unfortunately yeah, gets looked down upon a lot.

You only need one mining power. After that you have the power to mine everything, but it drains mana on the hardness of the block, this means mazestone in the twilight forest is mineable but mining a single block will instantly drain all your mana.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

SugarAddict posted:

You only need one mining power. After that you have the power to mine everything, but it drains mana on the hardness of the block, this means mazestone in the twilight forest is mineable but mining a single block will instantly drain all your mana.

None of the Banished quest reward mining spells can mine obsidian and I've tried giving it up to half of my mana pool with no results.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SugarAddict posted:

I seem to remember one mining power can't mine things like manyullin and the higher-level metallurgy ores, and that it's just obsidian-level mining. I don't recall having things mine but having all my mana drained.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Could be any number of issues: version mismatch, missing required dependencies, etc.

If you aren't familiar with modding, use a launcher. Trust me, it's better than surfing forums and troubleshooting if you're looking to add a single mod. Curse is perfect for this since it's easy to find and add mods through it (even if you just want one). The others are a bit more finnicky if you want to do your own thing.

Psi is compatible with the most recent version of Minecraft, and none of its documentation says anything about dependencies. What else ya got?

Also, I just tried Curse, but despite Psi having a page on Curse, there seems to be no way to get the client to recognize that I've downloaded it. And the mod doesn't show up the client's browser.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Noper Q posted:

Psi is compatible with the most recent version of Minecraft, and none of its documentation says anything about dependencies. What else ya got?

Also, I just tried Curse, but despite Psi having a page on Curse, there seems to be no way to get the client to recognize that I've downloaded it. And the mod doesn't show up the client's browser.

If you have Curse installed, search and download it through the client. You need to have Forge installed and Curse will install it and set it up for you. Curse will create a new minecraft instance with a new mods folder.

I think forge is the step you are missing. Most mods need forge to run, with a few needing one called liteloader.

Give it a week and you'll have 150 mods. Curse is like a bag of loving potato chips.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 11, 2016

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

SugarAddict posted:

Maybe Ars Magica 2 in Banished just needs to be updated or something? I know a few of these bugs caused Ars Magica 2 to be straight up removed and never looked at again on a few servers I used to play on.

Yeah, AM2 had an un-updated stable release for a long time and the 1.7.10 release is still considered "beta". The initial release for 1.7.10 was a one-time release with no updates until someone else started helping out last year. Most modpacks just removed AM2 instead of disabling (Shrink, Dispel, etc.)/dealing with the bugs.

SugarAddict posted:

You have to increase mining power to get past the mining tiers (default Dig is Iron tier).

http://am2.wikia.com/wiki/Spells posted:

Dig

The ground shatters with a snap of your fingers. Harder blocks take more mana to break. Diminished is the equivalent of a stone pickaxe, normal is an iron and augmented is a diamond pick.

http://ftb.gamepedia.com/Dig has a bit more information.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

OgNar posted:

If you have Curse installed, search and download it through the client. You need to have Forge installed and Curse will install it and set it up for you. Curse will create a new minecraft instance with a new mods folder.

I think forge is the step you are missing. Most mods need forge to run, with a few needing one called liteloader.

Give it a week and you'll have 150 mods. Curse is like a bag of loving potato chips.

I can't find Psi in the Curse client.

I installed Forge myself, and it didn't help.

New issue! When I try to launch Minecraft from Curse, it takes me to a login screen (which the regular Minecraft launcher doesn't do), and when I try to log in, it tells me that it can't connect to minecraft.net. The regular Minecraft launcher works fine.

I'm about to give up on my dreams of magic-shooting guns.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Noper Q posted:

I can't find Psi in the Curse client.

I installed Forge myself, and it didn't help.

New issue! When I try to launch Minecraft from Curse, it takes me to a login screen (which the regular Minecraft launcher doesn't do), and when I try to log in, it tells me that it can't connect to minecraft.net. The regular Minecraft launcher works fine.

I'm about to give up on my dreams of magic-shooting guns.

Under your profile in the minecraft launcher, do you have it set to use the version of forge you installed?

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Eminai posted:

Under your profile in the minecraft launcher, do you have it set to use the version of forge you installed?

I installed Forge 1.10.2 (the recommended version), and Minecraft was set to use the most recent version, so that should be fine. I tried manually setting it to 1.10.2, but that didn't help.

I even tried the Standard Computer Ritual (turn it off and on again); no dice.

I thought I saw in a video somewhere that there should be something about your Forge version on the Minecraft title screen, but I'm not seeing that. Is that a thing?

By the way, thanks to everyone who's trying to help me.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This guy has a video for installing forge and then running the mods. Should be able to get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCsUnxPTz6U

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Noper Q posted:

I installed Forge 1.10.2 (the recommended version), and Minecraft was set to use the most recent version, so that should be fine. I tried manually setting it to 1.10.2, but that didn't help.

I thought I saw in a video somewhere that there should be something about your Forge version on the Minecraft title screen, but I'm not seeing that. Is that a thing?

These instructions only work for Windows or OS X, as Curse Voice is not released for Linux (unless you want to use WINE, in that case you should know what you're doing already ;)).
  1. Download and install the latest java runtime (JRE) 8
  2. Download and install Curse Voice
  3. Run Curse Voice, select the Minecraft tab on the left
  4. Select "Create Custom Profile" on the top right
  5. Give it a name, like "Noper's Modded Minecraft 1.10.2"
  6. Select Minecraft Version, such as "1.10.2"
  7. Select Modloader, preferably the latest stable Forge Mod Loader, "forge-12.18.1.2011" (note that some mods, e.g. Botania Unofficial and ArmorPlus, have already updated to newer, incompatible Forge versions so you may need to use a prior version; they'll warn you when you start Minecraft that you have too old of a ModLoader)
  8. Press "Okay"
  9. Open (do not press "Play") "Noper's Modded Minecraft 1.10.2"
  10. Click on "Get Mods", once you've installed mods use the "Get More Content" button on the top-right. Mods will install their dependencies for you in the Curse Voice client, which is why it's so easy.
    • Search for the mod(s) you want (e.g. "Psi" shows one by Vazkii being "Psionic Spellcasting Instruments" for Game Version: 1.10.2), you may need to press "Refresh" if the search doesn't change what's displayed.
    • An easy way, and selected by default, is to go through the list as-is, which is sorted by Featured mods. You can also sort by Popularity or filter certain categories (e.g. Magic or Technology).
  11. If you want to change your Forge version, or select Preferred Release Type of software (I recommend "Release"), click the ellipses "..." at the top-right and select "Profile Options".
    • I recommend unselecting "Use System Setting" for "Memory Settings" and upping it to at least 4G, but not much higher, if your computer can handle it and you're installing lots of mods.
    • Note that "Current Modloader Versions" always refreshes to the latest version, not just Recommended/stable releases, every time you open this window. Make sure the right version (12.18.1.2011 unless you know otherwise) is selected before pressing "Okay", or just press "Cancel" if you're not making any changes.
  12. You may now go back to the Minecraft tab in Curse Voice and press "Play", which will launch the Minecraft launcher configured for your modpack.
  13. If you click your modpack instead of "Play" from the Minecraft home tab, Curse will check for updates and then inform you with a little grey down arrow to the right of each mod that an update is available for download. Once you have a working modpack, I recommend reading the ChangeLog of each updated mod before updating. ;)

lolmer fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 11, 2016

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Ding ding ding! I misunderstood Eminai's comment about versions. I needed to select the Forge version, not the vanilla version.

With that derp out of the way, I got it working! Hooray!

Thanks again, all.

fake edit: That looks like a very comprehensive guide, lolmer. If I decide to start adding more mods, I'll definitely come back to that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Noper Q posted:

fake edit: That looks like a very comprehensive guide, lolmer. When I decide to start adding more mods, I'll definitely come back to that.

FTFY. Enjoy the sweet nectar of mods. Or is that sweat nectar? Ewww...

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just wait until you have to solve potion and enchantment ID conflicts. :getin:

Wait, that's not an issue with 1.8+ is it?

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Black Pants posted:

Just wait until you have to solve potion and enchantment ID conflicts. :getin:

Wait, that's not an issue with 1.8+ is it?

I haven't run into that issue since 1.8, no. There are issues adding/removing mods after a world is created, but every modded game (e.g. Skyrim :)) has that issue.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Noper Q posted:

if you have forge installed, get the psi jar file and put it in the mods folder then restart your forge installation - all ruunning fine hopefully

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I decided to try out a 1.10.2 modpack since 1.7.10 is getting a bit old and holy poo poo this auto jump for 1 high blocks is AMAZING. It doesn't even use any extra hunger either.

I'm working my way up the Mekanism tech tree and I noticed that the heat generator says it can output up to 120 RF/t but is only doing about 29.97. I tried putting some lava around it but they only increased its output by around 1.2 each. Any ideas?

e. I'm using the 'All the Mods' modpack on Curse.
Also, what am I supposed to use for removing machines / mek cables? Pickaxing them just feels wrong but none of the wrenches in the pack work for removing them and pickaxing mekanism cables takes forever... normally I just use a thermal expansion wrench for everything but it's not in 1.10.2 yet I guess. I tried a mek configurator on wrench mode but it just rotates the machines.

e2. Figured it out. If you have a shield equipped, it prevents you from using the configurator to remove Mekanism machines and cables. Now that's really dumb.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 11, 2016

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Ambaire posted:

I decided to try out a 1.10.2 modpack since 1.7.10 is getting a bit old and holy poo poo this auto jump for 1 high blocks is AMAZING. It doesn't even use any extra hunger either.

I'm working my way up the Mekanism tech tree and I noticed that the heat generator says it can output up to 120 RF/t but is only doing about 29.97. I tried putting some lava around it but they only increased its output by around 1.2 each. Any ideas?

e. I'm using the 'All the Mods' modpack on Curse.
Also, what am I supposed to use for removing machines / mek cables? Pickaxing them just feels wrong but none of the wrenches in the pack work for removing them and pickaxing mekanism cables takes forever... normally I just use a thermal expansion wrench for everything but it's not in 1.10.2 yet I guess. I tried a mek configurator on wrench mode but it just rotates the machines.

e2. Figured it out. If you have a shield equipped, it prevents you from using the configurator to remove Mekanism machines and cables. Now that's really dumb.

Also note that Tinker's Construct weapons (e.g. Longsword) with right-click ability prohibit the use of your shield.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ambaire posted:

Today in Banished WTF I bring you a Ghast that spawned in the Mesa biome adjacent and was intent on punching a hole through to my base with repeated fireball spam. It ate a single rock blast and died horribly. I forgot how much fun this modpack is. Ars Magica really is an amazing mod and I don't know why I don't see it more often in modpacks. I'm at level 14 and all I use for killing mobs is the quest rewards Rock Blast and Magic Beam. Haven't used another weapon in 3 AM levels.
I much prefer Hubris for AM2 content, mostly because I remember getting as far as setting up the weird Equivalent Exchange spinoff in Banished and it was buggier than AM2 ever was. Also Hubris tweaks the power levels a bit.
AM2 is definitely not as buggy as it once was -- it's hardly perfect but I've put lots of hours into my Hubris world and gotten no real bugs other than sometimes the magic XP bar doesn't update immediately. Even the essence systems work better, and I haven't seen any dropped links/charge yet. The calefactor is a pretty cool tool that I use a lot and the reassembler/disassembler are perfect for a low yield modpack like this.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What autocrafting options are available in Hubris? I miss my cyclic assemblers and trying to automate fabrico production to use automagy golem crafting benches sounds like a nightmare.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Vib Rib posted:

I much prefer Hubris for AM2 content

gently caress the taint. (not literally) but seriously, at least in Banished you start off in an eerie biome and there is a taint biome nearby but it doesn't spread. Hubris is just 'hope you like purple madness' with taint poisoning you every 3 seconds when you try to go cross country. I don't enjoy that. Blightfall gave me enough exposure to that poo poo to last me for the rest of my minecraft career.

Also, I've rather come to enjoy Lycanite's mobs. Ifrits and chupacabras and rock monsters that pop out at you when you're mining; I can handle them. I can't handle purple madness. :mad:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ambaire posted:

gently caress the taint. (not literally) but seriously, at least in Banished you start off in an eerie biome and there is a taint biome nearby but it doesn't spread. Hubris is just 'hope you like purple madness' with taint poisoning you every 3 seconds when you try to go cross country. I don't enjoy that. Blightfall gave me enough exposure to that poo poo to last me for the rest of my minecraft career.

Also, I've rather come to enjoy Lycanite's mobs. Ifrits and chupacabras and rock monsters that pop out at you when you're mining; I can handle them. I can't handle purple madness. :mad:
Well, to each their own. Once you get the wispy dreamcatcher taint damage doesn't matter much, AM2's mining beam takes care of taint blocks/growth quickly, and in any case I'd personally rather deal with that than Lycanite mobs burrowing through my base and ghosting through the walls.

Mzbundifund posted:

What autocrafting options are available in Hubris? I miss my cyclic assemblers and trying to automate fabrico production to use automagy golem crafting benches sounds like a nightmare.
What needs autocrafting in this pack? I'm not really endgame but it didn't look like it was particularly focused on needing any mass production.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Vib Rib posted:

Well, to each their own. Once you get the wispy dreamcatcher taint damage doesn't matter much, AM2's mining beam takes care of taint blocks/growth quickly, and in any case I'd personally rather deal with that than Lycanite mobs burrowing through my base and ghosting through the walls.

Is there any way to convert biomes? I know the pure nodes randomly spawn and I can probably lay down a glass wall to stop the taint spread to terraform an area but will passive mobs spawn in non taint tainted land? My second biggest problem with that pack was I couldn't find any passive mobs for anything. Especially sheep.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Passive mobs do spawn in non-tainted areas. You also get two sheep spawn eggs from quests, additionally. Thaumic Horizons enables cloning if you have blood or organic material from animals. I got my sheep from a nearby pure node shelter, every time I passed by new animals were there. You can change biomes with some thaumic devices, and you can unlock tainted wood and tainted stone early on which act like normal wood/stone for building but prevent the spread of taint, so even in a tainted biome you can keep the creep out, more or less.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Ambaire posted:

The way you do it is, go to your mod directory, open HQM.jar in 7-zip, navigate to assets, hqm, sounds, and drag those two audio files in there then save.

As a bit of a tip: unless the mod is specifically looking in its own jar instead of using the default asset system, you can replace anything in /assets/<etc> with a standard vanilla resource pack.

Make a zip file with all the modified files in the same spot as the mod, add a pack.mcmeta in the root with some generic contents, and throw it in the resourcepacks folder.
code:
{
    "pack": {
        "pack_format": 1,
        "description": "My Overrides"
    }
}
Use format 2 for 1.9+

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
While messing around with the Mekanism digital miner in 1.10.2 (and later reproduced in 1.7.10) I encountered a weird bug regarding clay mining, and I posted a bug report on the Mekanism github.

quote:

If you set a digital miner to mine clay blocks, no silk touch, at the start of a new mining session it will always give 7 clay balls for the first clay block mined. This lets you dupe clay. I have not managed to reproduce this with any other blocks. I first noticed this strange behavior in 1.10.2 and I reproduced it in 1.7.10 as well.

Steps to reproduce:
Create a digital miner and place it in the world
Give yourself a stack of clay
Set the digiminer to mine item stack and prime it with the clay.
Place a clay block in the world
Start the digital miner
Notice that you now have 7 clay balls in the inventory

If you place two+ clay blocks and mine without stopping, you will get 7 for the first and then 4 for any others.

If you place two+ clay blocks, mine, stop, reset, mine again, you will get 7 for each.

Edit: Glowstone and diamond ore behaved normally, not sure about any others.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 12, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How bizarre. Is it only clay or does it also increase the drops of other things on the first mine? Redstone? Lapis? Glowstone?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What's a good mod for 1.7.10 for making large doors and the like? We have Malisis Doors, which has vanishing frames, but I'm looking for other options. I read that Funky Locomotion causes crashes in 1.7.10, and we got rid of Immersive Integration, which had that drawbridge thing. Is there anything else out there that's server friendly?

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

What's a good mod for 1.7.10 for making large doors and the like? We have Malisis Doors, which has vanishing frames, but I'm looking for other options. I read that Funky Locomotion causes crashes in 1.7.10, and we got rid of Immersive Integration, which had that drawbridge thing. Is there anything else out there that's server friendly?

Tinker's Mechworks has drawbridges, which can be used to make sliding doors, that I've used on Modderation: Permabanned and FYAD and not noticed issues.

RFTools has shields that you can use to make retractable doors/drawbridges, which I've seen IronClaymore do on the above mentioned server as well.

Carpenter's Blocks has garage doors which may be made to varying sizes, I do not know the size limit.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Carpenter's Blocks is amazing if you want hidden doors. I loved an old base of mine that was oriented around having tons of hidden hallways and compartments

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, I'm not looking for a hidden doorway, I'm looking for something that will look imposing and large, like an ancient doorway, that can retract slowly, like you'd see in an Indiana Jones movie or something. I can't remember why we got rid of Tmechworks(which is what had the drawbridge I mentioned earlier, not Immersive Integration). Maybe I should look at that again...

Or just suck it up and use Malisis Door, I dunno.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
IIRC tinker's drawbridges can have problems if you put weird blocks in them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I think a mod in this pack I'm playing (Pioneers, decent 1.8.9 pack) overrides mob griefing rules and won't allow me to disable it. :suicide:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

So I think a mod in this pack I'm playing (Pioneers, decent 1.8.9 pack) overrides mob griefing rules and won't allow me to disable it. :suicide:

Why do you say that? I know some custom mobs ignore mobgriefing because of terrible coding (or by having them drop TNT), but is it causing regular creepers and ghasts to explode blocks?

Also are you sure you're turning mobgriefing off properly? If you set it to the wrong thing it'll remain on but tell you it's "changed".

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Why do you say that? I know some custom mobs ignore mobgriefing because of terrible coding (or by having them drop TNT), but is it causing regular creepers and ghasts to explode blocks?

Also are you sure you're turning mobgriefing off properly? If you set it to the wrong thing it'll remain on but tell you it's "changed".

What I did was go into LAN mode with cheats on and type /gamerule mobgriefing false. Then I saved and reloaded the world and later got a few chests exploded by a creeper.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Demiurge4 posted:

What I did was go into LAN mode with cheats on and type /gamerule mobgriefing false. Then I saved and reloaded the world and later got a few chests exploded by a creeper.

It's case sensitive. The game will only accept 'mobGriefing'

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Well that's stupid. Thanks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Demiurge4 posted:

Well that's stupid. Thanks though.

yeah the way to do it to make sure it works is to type the first couple letters and then hit Tab for it to autocomplete for each word. if the one you want isn't the first to come up i think you can keep hitting tab and it cycles through.