Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

dog days are over posted:

Can literally any person who thought the movie and/or marketing was calling men misogynists please point out examples, I've asked at least six different people with this point of view to do that and none of them responded to it. Like, I keep seeing people saying 'Haha serves them right for alienating men by calling them sexist if they didn't like the movie!' but like when did anybody officially involved with the movie do that, I'm genuinely interested to see it.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWROBiX1eSc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

dog days are over posted:

Can literally any person who thought the movie and/or marketing was calling men misogynists please point out examples, I've asked at least six different people with this point of view to do that and none of them responded to it. Like, I keep seeing people saying 'Haha serves them right for alienating men by calling them sexist if they didn't like the movie!' but like when did anybody officially involved with the movie do that, I'm genuinely interested to see it.

I'd be happy to tell you...but I already lost interest in this film weeks ago and my mind's been busy looking at Suicide Squad and other Batman stuff.

soooo yeahhhhhh......

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Junior Jr. posted:

I'd be happy to tell you...but I already lost interest in this film weeks ago and my mind's been busy looking at Suicide Squad and other Batman stuff.

soooo yeahhhhhh......

Seems like most of the world has gone that way too.

Ghostbusters 2016: Gone, and forgotten.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I loved it and think it's a shame it hasn't done well.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Basically should've just let Marvel do it.

But I thought you wanted a good movie

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

I loved it and think it's a shame it hasn't done well.

Agreed (well liked, not loved), but it's definitely getting a sequel, hopefully sans Feig, so all is not lost!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Last years's FF also had about a $25-30M budget cut, but despite the flaws with that film I think that it was more impressive in a lot of ways than GB2016 in terms of look and feel.

FunkyAl posted:

But I thought you wanted a good movie

Marvel is already sort of taken the reins of the sci-fi/fantasy action-comedy film with pretty much all their movies. Marvel offering to buy the GB rights from GhostCorps/Sony and putting the GB into the Marvel Universe to replace the Fantastic Four is probably the closest thing to a win-win.

Now Galactus is Gozer.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

Last years's FF also had about a $25-30M budget cut, but despite the flaws with that film I think that it was more impressive in a lot of ways than GB2016 in terms of look and feel.

This is such a weird thing to say. A movie about four kinda-losers stumbling into ghostbusting is not going to look and feel like a movie about superpowers fighting off global threats. Perhaps if you explained a little more about what you mean by "look and feel"? Because the new GB looks a lot like an updated version of the original (and, coincidentally, is an updated version of the original).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

homullus posted:

This is such a weird thing to say. A movie about four kinda-losers stumbling into ghostbusting is not going to look and feel like a movie about superpowers fighting off global threats. Perhaps if you explained a little more about what you mean by "look and feel"? Because the new GB looks a lot like an updated version of the original (and, coincidentally, is an updated version of the original).

I think what he's saying is that he feels the new FF has a more distinct style than GB16, rather than the scale of the plot.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Junior Jr. posted:

soooo yeahhhhhh......

i could totally do a backflip right now i just don't want to

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Thing is, I legit liked both the colorful style (didn't notice any great composition but the art direction and color coordination create a nice lush feel) and yes, the pacing- I like that it errs on the side of brevity and not letting things get bogged down, even if that means some of the subplots end up not being developed. None of what was sacrificed was vital to making the movie work.

Looking back my only solid complaint is how generic the music is.

I just don't get the new consensus that Paul Feig is a terrible filmmaker.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Ghostbusters 2016: Gone, and forgotten.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I think what he's saying is that he feels the new FF has a more distinct style than GB16, rather than the scale of the plot.

Maybe! Distinct and impressive don't have much to do with each other, though.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Marvel is already sort of taken the reins of the sci-fi/fantasy action-comedy film with pretty much all their movies. Marvel offering to buy the GB rights from GhostCorps/Sony and putting the GB into the Marvel Universe to replace the Fantastic Four is probably the closest thing to a win-win.

This mindset is completely alien to me.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Maxwell Lord posted:

he's terrible at making action films. simple as that.

if he just stuck to comedies like Spy and Bridesmaids, he might've been better off.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ0YexsRCPc

The joke is that Leslie Jones might have left a dead body in the back of their new Hearse. That's funny! What's the funniest way to present that joke? Why, have all four Ghostbusters stand around outside the car and talk about it!

A clever director, or even the teacher at your local improv class, would have put someone IN the car and run the gag from there. Feig's movies have funny actors, and sometimes they have funny jokes. But he constantly and consistently finds the laziest, least interesting ways to present those jokes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes implication is better than showing a thing.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sometimes implication is better than showing a thing.

you don't get it, do you?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
When did this become GBS?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Since when was there only one right way to do a thing? Since when are people's own opinions treated as objective fact?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Thing is, I legit liked both the colorful style (didn't notice any great composition but the art direction and color coordination create a nice lush feel) and yes, the pacing- I like that it errs on the side of brevity and not letting things get bogged down, even if that means some of the subplots end up not being developed. None of what was sacrificed was vital to making the movie work.

Looking back my only solid complaint is how generic the music is.

If you are in favor of keeping the pacing brisk (which I'm generally all for), then surely instead of a bunch of underdeveloped subplots it would have been better to just cut some of them entirely.

Also, the big action sequence in the finale is largely pointless and boring, Kate McKinnon's attempt to salvage it notwithstanding. On top of that, they spent another pointless and boring sequence in the alley testing the new equipment just to set up the big dumb action scene. You could gut 90% of both scenes and have a strictly superior film.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Neurolimal posted:

In a way, yes. I'm not in LOVE with FF15, but I like quite few bits in it a lot. It's a flawed film, don't be me wrong, there's a lot NOT to like about it, but I've compared it to GB2016 earlier in this thread because I think in a lot of ways they're very similar to compare. Even their stories feel similar.

FF is as dreary as hell, it's likely as irritating to FF fans as GB2016 was to the hardcore original GB fans, but in terms of all their similarities, I think it did a better job at creating a believable universe that those characters exist in, the universe and fantasy science felt more tangible, it felt like the stakes for the individual characters were a bit higher and more understandable. I don't know if that's a directing issue, I don't know if that's a cinematography issue, I don't know if that's me misremembering a movie I haven't seen in a year.

FunkyAl posted:

This mindset is completely alien to me.

Iron Man, Avengers, Thors, GotG, etc. all probably have as likely nearly as much of a comedic bent to them as the original Ghostbusters did. Marvel churning out a GB film done in the style of their other MCU films would likely feel very close to the original GB at the end of the day.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Iron Man, Avengers, Thors, GotG, etc. all probably have as likely nearly as much of a comedic bent to them as the original Ghostbusters did. Marvel churning out a GB film done in the style of their other MCU films would likely feel very close to the original GB at the end of the day.

Yes but if they did that it would be as boring and imagination-less as most of the MCU content that preceded it. I do not think the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a good series of between eighteen and forty-six movies, and I do not think the Ghostbusters appearing on screen together with Ant-Man and splitting a Dr Pepper would fix any of the problems I have with these, the movies.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
They were so busy working with Marvel for the Spider-Man rights that Sony thought they were hiring Kevin FEIGE for setting up the reboot GBs and after the contracts were signed they realized it was Paul FEIG.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Junior Jr. posted:

soooo yeahhhhhh......

Yet here you are still posting in this thread? (which will probably reach 300 pages before the movie is even out on DVD)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Samantha Pitchel posted:

Congratulations, internet, you did it! Following the months-long outrage campaign against this summer’s projected smash hit, the female-fronted Ghostbusters reboot, box office reports are in, and they aren’t great.

What a ginormous baby, like I liked the film and I was hoping it did well enough in the box office but god drat i'm not suddenly turing to everybody and going "drat YOU INTERNET!" :argh:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Golden Goat posted:

What a ginormous baby, like I liked the film and I was hoping it did well enough in the box office but god drat i'm not suddenly turing to everybody and going "drat YOU INTERNET!" :argh:

Buckle up cause that is a narrative/attitude (with a dash of fist shaking at "THOSE drat MRAs!" ) that is going to spawn a 100 OP-ED pieces for the next couple of days.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BexGu posted:

Buckle up cause that is a narrative/attitude (with a dash of fist shaking at "THOSE drat MRAs!" ) that is going to spawn a 100 OP-ED pieces for the next couple of days.

I think i'll prefer it over the past overflow of videos stating "Womz have ruined my Ghostbusters!"

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Mierenneuker posted:

Yet here you are still posting in this thread? (which will probably reach 300 pages before the movie is even out on DVD)

I blame Genesplicer for closing my thread and forcing me to post here.

I miss those days. :sigh:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Golden Goat posted:

I think i'll prefer it over the past overflow of videos stating "Womz have ruined my Ghostbusters!"

ahaha, the spin doctoring is already happening

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gabriel Pope posted:

If you are in favor of keeping the pacing brisk (which I'm generally all for), then surely instead of a bunch of underdeveloped subplots it would have been better to just cut some of them entirely.

Yeah, they probably should have cut Venkman's ESP testing and Dana's orchestra stuff.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

ahaha, the spin doctoring is already happening

Everything is a conspiracy.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Golden Goat posted:

Why? They where right. Five years from now all that is going to remember is that the all women Ghostbusters reboot movie failed because it was a reboot that just replaced the male leads with women (and not because its director was a hack that didn't know how to to do big budget summer movie/write a script).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Golden Goat posted:

Everything is a conspiracy.

you don't need to conspire when you have an army of eager useful idiots

keep fighting the good fight

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BexGu posted:

Why? They where right. Five years from now all that is going to remember is that the all women Ghostbusters reboot movie failed because it was a reboot that just replaced the male leads with women (and not because its director was a hack that didn't know how to to do big budget summer movie/write a script).

steinrokkan posted:

you don't need to conspire when you have an army of eager useful idiots

:yikes:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What a time to be a Ghostbusters fan.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Honestly, I think the movie would have been received about as well as most of the other remakes without the mantle of being a ghostbusters film AND an exemplar of of feminism in cinema (not saying whether or not it chose that mantle, obviously that's being debated), which is to say that the general consensus would be "not as bad as I was expecting from that trailer, I don't think I'l remember it but it's not as bad as [other terrible thing in the franchise]". Similar to Robocop 2014.

As-is though, it ends up with a bloated basket of taking a misguided approach towards calling out cinema double-standards (in a series where those standards are not significant), continuing the original's dry humor (combined with sparse but memorable messy gags), being a family-friendly wacky film, juggling 3 improv actors (which results in Leslie Jones standing out as the only acting-memorable one)....all with Paul Fieg's unsubtle and style-deprived direction and his editor's ADD-riddled work.

It results in a lot of cracked eggs and problematic changes due to the haste in covering every other basis; the ghostbusters are now executioners, they now objectify people, they now directly fight against the hindering government, they're now lovely to low-wage workers like deliverymen. None of that is likely intentional (except the part where Sony didn't allow Holtzmann to be outright gay, while at-minimum supporting the narrative that the film is a progressive cause. Gotta get them international dollars!) but it's the result of a script that was stretched too thin. Feig/Sony simply took on a battle that they had no preparation or qualifying skills for.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

uh I mean, yeah, ditto...

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Gabriel Pope posted:

Also, the big action sequence in the finale is largely pointless and boring, Kate McKinnon's attempt to salvage it notwithstanding. On top of that, they spent another pointless and boring sequence in the alley testing the new equipment just to set up the big dumb action scene. You could gut 90% of both scenes and have a strictly superior film.

What, cut the Mattel Toy Showcase Scene?

I'm assuming the purpose for creating a whole bunch of one-off Ghost-tools that get used all of once and have essentially no impact on the plot was to give Mattel stuff to make into toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

It results in a lot of cracked eggs and problematic changes due to the haste in covering every other basis; the ghostbusters are now executioners, they now objectify people, they now directly fight against the hindering government, they're now lovely to low-wage workers like deliverymen. None of that is likely intentional (except the part where Sony didn't allow Holtzmann to be outright gay, while at-minimum supporting the narrative that the film is a progressive cause. Gotta get them international dollars!) but it's the result of a script that was stretched too thin. Feig/Sony simply took on a battle that they had no preparation or qualifying skills for.

The changes from ghost-catching to ghost-murdering and from fighting the EPA to fighting City Hall can't possibly be due to a massive shift (from 1984 to 2016) in what action movies are expected to be like. No, the only reasonable explanation is that a 98-year-old movie company, Paul Feig, and Ivan loving Reitman don't know how to make movies. Yeah, definitely that.

• Locked thread