Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Mayor McCheese posted:

Just started Grim Dawn since it's on sale. The wiki page is a bit anemic if anyone has any other tips.

Clearing Shrines gives you devotion points, which lets you unlock special bonuses that are grouped into constellations. This is done via one of the most poorly thought out interfaces I have ever seen in a video game. This page gives you an overview of what each constellation gives you, and is much easier to parse:

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Constellation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Anybody got anything for Farcry 4. Keep in mind I have an unnatural urge to make icons leave for side stuff leave the map and I know this is a Ubisoft game. Will that give me problems?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Anybody got anything for Farcry 4. Keep in mind I have an unnatural urge to make icons leave for side stuff leave the map and I know this is a Ubisoft game. Will that give me problems?

I'm not really sure if you're saying that you always want to clear out those icons or not - I'm going to assume the former.

There's a looooooot of icons in Far Cry 4. Progress through the game far enough to get the tutorial for each of them via the required missions before you start hunting them down. It's really not necessary though, as you'll have so much cash and all the best guns really drat quick if you start hunting everything down.

As with Far Cry 3, there's a progression menu that shows all the rewards you can get for clearing out the sidequest stuff, so you don't need to do them all, just the ones that get you the rewards. Typically there's a point after which there isn't much purpose in clearing out the rest.

The grenade launcher is the best side weapon. Not only can it take out vehicles with a few shots, but you can also use it to destroy propaganda posters as you drive by without even having to get out of your car.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Morpheus posted:

I'm not really sure if you're saying that you always want to clear out those icons or not - I'm going to assume the former.

There's a looooooot of icons in Far Cry 4. Progress through the game far enough to get the tutorial for each of them via the required missions before you start hunting them down. It's really not necessary though, as you'll have so much cash and all the best guns really drat quick if you start hunting everything down.

As with Far Cry 3, there's a progression menu that shows all the rewards you can get for clearing out the sidequest stuff, so you don't need to do them all, just the ones that get you the rewards. Typically there's a point after which there isn't much purpose in clearing out the rest.

The grenade launcher is the best side weapon. Not only can it take out vehicles with a few shots, but you can also use it to destroy propaganda posters as you drive by without even having to get out of your car.

Yeah it cannot be overstated how good the launcher is. It wrecks vehicles easily and since its a sidearm you can use it while driving to make quick work of pursuers (you can also use it while flying gyrocooters for when you want to clear a checkpoint but don't want to work very hard at it)

You get it early and it's useful right up until the end of the game. Never not grenade launcher.

(I know I made a typo. I'm not fixing it)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The Shangri-La side quest is pretty interesting to start, I'd give it a shot. It's proto-FC Primal, basically.

Kyrat Fashion Week (i.e. hunting) side quests are also worthwhile.

Stick with the main questline until you get an outpost that always starts with a gyrocopter right outside of it. I think it's 3-4 missions in.

Bait is really quite fun to use, don't forget to summon all of the bears on your foes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It warns you not to try and take out the big fortresses without clearing the surrounding area to make it easier, but if you're up for a challenge, go for it anyway. It's doable, though you don't really get anything extra for it except the fun.

The arena side quest is gimmicky as poo poo, but I think you get a couple of nice weapons out of it?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
If you hate the arena side quest, there is a Far Cry 4 companion mobile game that also allows you to get the same weapon through linking the app to your Ubisoft account.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Gerblyn posted:

Clearing Shrines gives you devotion points, which lets you unlock special bonuses that are grouped into constellations. This is done via one of the most poorly thought out interfaces I have ever seen in a video game. This page gives you an overview of what each constellation gives you, and is much easier to parse:

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Constellation

Oh hey, yeah this is much more helpful. The GUI for the constellations is such a mess. Thanks!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Xander77 posted:

Anything for Napoleon: Total War:? I haven't really spent much time with TW games other than the original Rome, so the whole "gunpowder" thing is strange and confusing.

Our very own Total War Megathread starts off with some handy advice in the OP regarding how to deploy an army if you're not already a qualified officer or military historian of the appropriate era. Skip past the swords/bows stuff to the gunpowder stuff and you'll get a decent idea. Basically it's not much different from pikes in that you want as long a line as possible. However, depth must also be considered because if the line gets too thin, it becomes vulnerable to a breakthrough. A similar idea that carries over is that getting shot from multiple sides sucks pretty much as bad as getting stabbed with pikes from multiple sides.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

No Man's Sky?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

1redflag posted:

No Man's Sky?

Megathread!!!

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

If you like bigger and better guns you may want to hold off on doing the side stuff and just blast through the story until you at least open up the north part of the map, where a large bunch of guns will be available afterwards. Unfortunately the last few guns don't open up until like three or four missions before the final story mission, however you could argue most of those are not worth it except maybe for by far and away the best sniper rifle. The signature guns are generally the best but kinda sorta tied to story progression.

Also unlike the earlier Far Cry games if you pick up an enemy gun it will be available in stores and you can buy mods for them. There's one mission about a third or so of the way through where you have a choice of destroying a drug factory or capturing the scientist inside it (I think, something like that). If you choose the one where you don't destroy it you get a couple of guns you wouldn't normally get for some time because of a weird hallucination scene, including a pretty decent LMG.

The missions with the two british dudes are slightly obnoxious but its good to do them early as possible (you'll do them anyway eventually as they are tied to the story) because they open up a house you can use as a base, with free armor, a garden with plants and a gyrocopter and so on.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

1redflag posted:

No Man's Sky?

Two tricks I noticed from streams that is useful if you start on a hazardous planet:

- Entering an underground cave can give shelter from the hazard, allowing your protection to recharge without having to spend materials to keep it running.
- Inventory expansions for your suit can be found in Shelters. If you find a waypoint (orange beam of light) and use a Bypass Chip (craftable), you can get it to point out the nearest one. Not guaranteed to drop, and the 2nd onwards cost Units. First one is free though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

1redflag posted:

No Man's Sky?

- If you have the Pre-order bonus ship don't use it until after you've gotten a Hyperdrive with fuel or you'll mess up the quests.
- If you put upgrades next to the part they're upgrading they get a bonus.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

1redflag posted:

No Man's Sky?

-Bypass Chips are made of 10 Iron and 10 Plutonium, both of which are super plentiful, Iron is found in most rock formations, Plutonium is red, spiky and often in caves. It's helpful for those beacons that were already mentioned, but you can also craft a bunch and sell them to make bank as they go for like 3500+ or something (market fluctuations, yay).
-More suit slots are nice but they add up, a better ship with more storage is probably a better investment since ship slots can hold stacks of 500 resources and your suit only stacks to 250.
-If you die in space there's a waypoint labeled Grave that goes to your lost cargo that's floating around
-Better standings with an alien species means better deals I think, but also filling out their languages is just super helpful in general
-Vy'Keens seem to be the ones that'll give you good mutlitools if you figure out what they want

-There's a glitch that let's you travel faster on foot that I like to call a jetpack longjump: first start sprinting (R3), then hit melee (R1), and in the middle of that animation hold down the jetpack button (X) and you'll end up going fast enough the terrain will start popping in like it does when you're in the ship. Just watch the meter if you try to go over large gaps so you don't run out before you need to land.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

1redflag posted:

No Man's Sky?

There's a glitch that can bite you in the rear end when you're shopping and buying multiples of items that don't stack. Let's say you're at a terminal and there are four Suspension Fluids available and you decide to click the "buy" up to all four. Complete the purchase, your money gets deducted, but if you didn't have suit slots to accommodate all four of them they're lost for good and you're out that much cash. Always buy unstackable items one at a time.

Remember that beacons are in 3D space, even when you're on a planet. One early quest sent me to a factory that even though I was flying towards the popup kept staying at about 20 minutes away. I had to pop out of atmo and pulse jump to the other side of the planet to get to the beacon.

The melee+jetpack thing is invaluable and I think might be intentional - it seems to reset the cool downs on both actions, and one of my exosuit mods gave me a better jet pack that makes it absurdly good.

"Anyone got any quick tips before I fire up this game, that they could post in this thread for quick tips before firing up this game?
"Sure, just read this 300-page thread, friend! I'm a huge prick!!" that's not a word filter.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

To be fair, there were a couple of good pointers in the very first post, but yeah, I usually only direct people to a megathread if they need in-depth explanations or "advanced" advice. Not stuff you should know before you play this game for the first time. Same for redirecting people to a specific game's wiki, unless they have a literal beginner's guide page (the ones for Elder Scrolls games on UESP are near perfect).

im cute fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 12, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
To be fair, if you come into this thread asking about a brand new game, don't expect great advice.

The idea is that there are games where we've already explored thoroughly, and have some early pointers based on that.

For a new game, just talk to the people who are currently figuring it out.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

chairface posted:

Our very own Total War Megathread starts off with some handy advice in the OP regarding how to deploy an army if you're not already a qualified officer or military historian of the appropriate era. Skip past the swords/bows stuff to the gunpowder stuff and you'll get a decent idea. Basically it's not much different from pikes in that you want as long a line as possible. However, depth must also be considered because if the line gets too thin, it becomes vulnerable to a breakthrough. A similar idea that carries over is that getting shot from multiple sides sucks pretty much as bad as getting stabbed with pikes from multiple sides.

Adding to this: order your line infantry to form squares and they're pretty much impervious to cavalry, but remember to reform the line when the horses gently caress off or they're easy pickings for artillery and other infantry.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

To be fair, if you come into this thread asking about a brand new game, don't expect great advice.

The idea is that there are games where we've already explored thoroughly, and have some early pointers based on that.

For a new game, just talk to the people who are currently figuring it out.

You mean, like, by asking them for some hints in the "before I play thread"? :confused:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

1redflag posted:

You mean, like, by asking them for some hints in the "before I play thread"? :confused:

No, the giant thread full of people who just bought the game and are playing it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

No, the giant thread full of people who just bought the game and are playing it.

Whenever I read that thread it was full of huge hype vs reality arguments, trolling and general unpleasantness. I'm sure there's discussion of actual gameplay stuff in there, but it's buried in a lot of stuff I'd rather not read. The thread is 2/5 for a reason.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Gerblyn posted:

Whenever I read that thread it was full of huge hype vs reality arguments, trolling and general unpleasantness. I'm sure there's discussion of actual gameplay stuff in there, but it's buried in a lot of stuff I'd rather not read. The thread is 2/5 for a reason.

just read the op?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
One thing for No Man's Sky that I didn't realize at first:

To get credit for recording all of a planet's species (which is required for the one of the Journeys) you need to, after recording them all, go to the planetary information page where you can upload, and click them 'Upload to get XX units' button. I was unaware that this was a button, and thought it was just a running tally for the money I could make if I uploaded/renamed all the planets creatures and plants.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The NMS thread has lots of trolls and bad posts, and people have been actually posting helpful tips for it in this thread, so I feel like asking about new games in this thread has been proven to be an a-ok thing to do

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ainsley McTree posted:

The NMS thread has lots of trolls and bad posts, and people have been actually posting helpful tips for it in this thread, so I feel like asking about new games in this thread has been proven to be an a-ok thing to do

Yeah its true. Trying to post all the actual info I can but there's a lot of trolls who are mad people like game.

For what its worth I added all the tips that people posted here to the OP :shobon:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Any additional bits about Salt & Sanctuary?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Sorry for being lovely about posting in this thread. I didn't realize that the megathread sucks. I won't complain anymore about nms posts.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anything for Rust?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Can anyone scan/update the wiki article for Starbound so it fits the final version? I just started and it differs a lot from what the wiki says (in such basic differences as having a matter manipulator vs crafting a pickaxe). It seems the article is based on some early access build.

Also, any non-obvious hints that are not on the wiki would be appreciated.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
I've managed to never actually play Zelda: Ocarina of Time, so I picked up the 3DS version. I've played through the first dungeon and been let out into the big wide world. Should I just go with the flow or is there anything in particular I need to know? I'm more than happy to put up with it being an old game with old design/controls etc.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Major Ryan posted:

I've managed to never actually play Zelda: Ocarina of Time, so I picked up the 3DS version. I've played through the first dungeon and been let out into the big wide world. Should I just go with the flow or is there anything in particular I need to know? I'm more than happy to put up with it being an old game with old design/controls etc.

Go with the flow. There's side content but it's pretty gated overall. If you see an area you think you could reach go ahead and check it out but being the first 3D Zelda means it's pretty empty overall.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Major Ryan posted:

Go with the flow and do everything you can for giant Gorons because the Biggoran sword is loving awesome.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's also great to get through the BS and get a straight answer because New Game Threads are always filled with white noise.

Major Ryan posted:

I would go with the flow, the side-quests are a nice distraction but there is nothing extremely important to the main questline. OOT comes from a time where side-quests in RPGs didn't get you awesome extra poo poo to help you out, just a break from the action.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Go with the flow it is. Cool; I'll just sit back and enjoy it without worrying then.

Thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Major Ryan posted:

Go with the flow it is. Cool; I'll just sit back and enjoy it without worrying then.

Thanks!

Just make sure to go visit the ranch in the middle of Hyrule Field and pick up the Ocarina song there at some point after you go to Hyrule Castle. It'll save a trip later.

edit: Seeing as there's nothing in the wiki already, here's some stuff for Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

• Play on Normal or higher. The game is exceedingly easy, and playing on Easy is so unchallenging you could sleep through it.
  • The Digimon's type (Data, Vaccine, or Virus) is more important than the element. Make sure to bring a few Virus-types as well as your favourites because some recurring bosses use Data-type Digimon.
  • Resetting the Digimon's level with Digivolution isn't the handicap you first think it is. Their stats remain the same, so don't fret quite so much about throwing your new Level 1 Greymon into a fight.
  • Digimon in your Reserves gain EXP at the same rate, but they don't gain CAM (camaraderie/friendship). Only those actually participating do. CAM is generally only really used for the "main" digivolution paths for some of the more notable Digimon (eg; Agumon->Greymon->MetalGreymon)
  • Veemon can get two of his DigiEgg Armor Evolutions. The first Digi-Egg is obtained from a bonus boss in the same area of Kowloon as your target for Chapter 7. Keep going past your target and you can't miss him.
  • Likewise DNA Digivolving is in the game too, all it requires is getting both Digimon's CAM up to 100% along with other prerequisite stats, then select it like any other Digivolution for one with both in your party.
  • Your Code-Hacker abilities have prerequisites for their use aside from your Cyber Sleuth Level. If you can't use one despite your CS Level, check in the Player section of the Digivice menu. Generally it just requires you have a Digimon of a specific Type in your party.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 14, 2016

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm playing through Overlord (and planning on doing 2 and Raising Hell) Any advice not on the wiki?

In addition, I was wondering how hard I should look out for secrets/hidden stuff.

I'm a completionist (that often burns out...) so it would be a relief to know not a lot of stuff is hidden or secret. Or should I keep a guide/walkthrough close by, just in case?

Same question for the sequel/expansion.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The info on the wiki for Overlord 1 is pretty solid. I think you only need to pay attention if you are going the full evil/corruption route (and consult a list online) even though it's always pretty obvious what the evil choice is. For example: "- If you are going for 0% run, don't take the second mistress at Heaven's Peak, kill anything with a green highlight, or do anything you figure is really evil (steal a bag of money over saving elven women from death)." The evil mistress has dark hair and tries to seduce you, while the good mistress is a goody two-shoes you already know at that point in the story. It's very transparent.

Some tips of my own:
- The expansion areas can be accessed during the main game. Portals will pop up in the hub areas and there's usually a cut-scene if you approach them. Generally you can should wait a while before entering them, since they're harder than the main game. They all have sections where it's very easy to have your entire squad of minions wiped, so it's better if you have gotten to the point where you are familiar with fighting/farming beetles in the arena for minion souls.
- There is a hydra boss and the way the game intends for you to fight it simply does not work and will just kill all your minions. The best way to fight it is like this: 1) have your minions move back and forth in front of the hydra to bait him into slamming his head on the ground, 2) after his head is on the ground send your (brown) minions at him, 3) when he lift his head upwards quickly retreat the minions so they'll jump off, 4) repeat.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 14, 2016

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Kalenden posted:

I'm playing through Overlord (and planning on doing 2 and Raising Hell) Any advice not on the wiki?

In addition, I was wondering how hard I should look out for secrets/hidden stuff.

I'm a completionist (that often burns out...) so it would be a relief to know not a lot of stuff is hidden or secret. Or should I keep a guide/walkthrough close by, just in case?

when you get to Overlord 2, make sure you always have a good mix of goblin colors. Also remember that your minions can pick up armor for themselves- so always sweep them over piles of loot to make them harder to kill.

Don't worry too much about your minions dying- if there is one or two that you'll be very sad not to have, you can bring them back.

Domination is more lucrative than destruction, but destruction is more fun. strike a balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kalenden posted:

Overlord 2 a big step down.
Be sure to play Overlord through Raising Hell to use the expansion. The difference between difficulties are that Legendary mode gives enemies several times the health and scrubs can one-shot minions.
You can outright skip some encounters you trigger by leaving the map.
There shouldn't be much stuff you can miss since you can come back later. Any heavy items your minions pick up might be ambushed.