Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Endman posted:

It's exactly the same thing.

At a superficial level, however actual ddos attacks tend to use slightly more technical tactics to reduce the cost/effort of mounting the attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

norp posted:

At a superficial level, however actual ddos attacks tend to use slightly more technical tactics to reduce the cost/effort of mounting the attack.

It depends really. Some are intricate bot-nets run by crazy Russians, and some are idiots from 4chan running LOIC on their desktop machines. The basic principle is just denying access to a server by flooding it with connection requests and it's very difficult to tell the difference between a deliberate attack and just a lot of people trying to use something at once, especially if you're stupid, like the ABS apparently is.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Endman posted:

especially if you're stupid, like the ABS apparently is.

Like having 4 hour DNS ttl so you can't even do failover?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Would this have happened under Labor's NBN?

... You know what, gently caress it, I don't care. The right lie their arse off enough times, now it's our turn. I'm spreading the rumour that the internet infrastructure couldn't handle it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Starshark posted:

... You know what, gently caress it, I don't care. The right lie their arse off enough times, now it's our turn. I'm spreading the rumour that the internet infrastructure couldn't handle it.

I made this very joke on twitter last night and had a few Captains Obvious try and tell me they weren't related. Twitter has lost its irony.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
So I caught up on the news on iview and the abc was going with the narrative that obviously the DDOS on the ABS was by CHINESE STATE HACKERS which was just the funniest bit of propaganda I've seen in ages. Gotta keep that racewar going I suppose.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Starshark posted:

Yes because Labor's NBN would take a billion years to roll out :smug:

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

mum rang me up today and was panicking over how she was going to get fined, because she couldn't lodge her census poo poo online last night.
lol what a loving disaster :saddowns:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

wayne curr posted:

mum rang me up today and was panicking over how she was going to get fined, because she couldn't lodge her census poo poo online last night.
lol what a loving disaster :saddowns:

The ABS ramping up the spin and/or talking past people didn't help much. Kalisch's position would have to be close to untenable by now.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

You know, paper Mario gets real hard if you drink a lot before playing and can't time the qte's.

E: the game, not the character, you weirdos

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The Nauru leaks have been picked up by the New York Times, Times magazine, and CNN. So at the very least, Americans will learn how lovely Australians are.

Here is a choice quote from the CNN piece.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/10/asia/australia-nauru-leaked-files/

"The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection sent CNN a statement saying that many of the reported incidents were unconfirmed allegations, and the files themselves are evidence of the "robustness" of reporting procedures. It also said that "many of the incidents are historical in nature.""

Look at that spin! The report is simultaneously untrustworthy because incidents are "unconfirmed" AND evidence of the "robustness" of the reporting process.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-11/census-website-still-down-24-hours-after-crashing/7718584

we knew this was going to happen :smith:

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Arcanen posted:

The Nauru leaks have been picked up by the New York Times, Times magazine, and CNN. So at the very least, Americans will learn how lovely
Look at that spin! The report is simultaneously untrustworthy because incidents are "unconfirmed" AND evidence of the "robustness" of the reporting process.

I like the "historical in nature" part. The Border Force is only interested in future crime.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

I mean I know it was a huge cock-up, but is this really the scale it should be reported as?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean I know it was a huge cock-up, but is this really the scale it should be reported as?

Got to distract from the Nauru reports somehow!

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I think one of the news pieces indicated that the eCensus was delivered on IBM's cloud service but with restrictions that it could only be on iron that was physically located in Australia.

I suspect it's going to be a textbook case of how outsourcing the responsibility doesn't completely outsource risk. The contract between ABS and IBM would no doubt have strong clauses in it about availability, so the SES would have signed off, and IBM would have managed the risk by contracting someone to do load testing and then promptly considered the risk reduced to an acceptable level.

But in these cases, the risk always ends up flowing upwards. It doesn't matter who can sue who for breach of contract, ABS is taking the reputational hit.

I've done some construction contract management training and we spent a huge amount of time on OH&S management. Basically Workcover (NSW) doesn't care what the contract says... you have to show how you were ensuring the subcontractor and their subcontractors was providing a safe worksite. If a fatality occurs, count on everyone, from the top company down to the worksite supervisor, being hauled in for questioning.

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 11, 2016

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cirofren posted:

I like the "historical in nature" part. The Border Force is only interested in future crime.

The Precogs have seen another boat! But that can't be right... the boats have stopped...

*Scott Morrison waves his hands erratically at a holographic whiteboard*

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I think one of the news pieces indicated that the eCensus was delivered on IBM's cloud service but with restrictions that it could only be on iron that was physically located in Australia.

Should have just got everyone to email in a CSV. To clever for their own good.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

AT 1330, ASYLUM SEEKER [REDACTED] APPROACHED SAVE THE CHILDREN (SCA) CASE WORKER (CW) [REDACTED] IN THE MESS AT RPC3. [REDACTED] WAS CRYING AND WAS OBSERVED TO BE VERY SHAKEN. [REDACTED] AND [REDACTED] SAT OUTSIDE WHERE [REDACTED] REPORTED THAT A WILSONS SECURITY GUARD HAD JUST HIT HIM. [REDACTED] EXPLAINED TO [REDACTED] THAT HE WAS IN TENT [REDACTED] WITH [REDACTED], [REDACTED] AND [REDACTED] WHEN A SECURITY GUARD ENTERED AND YELLED AT THEM, "HY ARE YOU IN HERE?". [REDACTED] THEN REPORTED THAT THE SECURITY GUARD GRABBED HIM AROUND THE THROAT AND HIT HIS HEAD AGAINST THE GROUND TWICE. [REDACTED] ALSO SAID THAT THE SECURITY GUARD THREW A CHAIR ON HIM AND SHOWED [REDACTED] A RED RAISED MARK ON HIS ARM. AT THIS STAGE, [REDACTED], [REDACTED] AND [REDACTED] HAD JOINED THE CONVERSATION AND ALL CONFIRMED WHAT [REDACTED] HAD REPORTED. [REDACTED] ASKED [REDACTED] TO SHOW HER WHO THE SECURITY GUARD WAS. THE CHILDREN LEAD CW TO AREA 10 AND POINTED AT A MALE SECURITY GUARD, WHO WAS LATE IDENTIFIED BY CW [REDACTED] AS [REDACTED]. [REDACTED] SAID "HE HIT ME". [REDACTED] THEN ASKED [REDACTED] "WHY DID YOU HIT ME?". [REDACTED] THEN MOVED TOWARDS [REDACTED] AND IN A RAISED VOICE RESPONDED DID YOU COME IN HERE, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED IN HERE, GET OUT OF HERE". [REDACTED] THEN LEAD THE CHILDREN OUT OF AREA 10. A NUMBER OF OTHER ASYLUM SEEKERS APPROACHED THE CHILDREN AND WERE SPEAKING IN ARABIC ABOUT THE INCIDENT. AT THIS TIME, [REDACTED] LEFT THE CONVERSATION IN ORDER TO PHONE CONTROL.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Case worker [REDACTED 1] engaged in conversation with [REDACTED 2] at 1730hrs in the recreation area of Fly Camp. CW observed to burn marks on [REDACTED 1]'s lower arm. [REDACTED 1] stated he had burned his arm with a cigarette approximately one week ago. [REDACTED 1] stated he had become frustrated after waiting for the bus, which was late, and burned his arm.

I mean like this all seems like the mental health of the people involved aren't being harmed right???

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Endman posted:

Whereas really we're actually the national equivalent of that spoilt kid everyone knew in school, the one who'd kick up a poo poo if things didn't go exactly their way and would bully anyone they thought was beneath them.
This is such an insightful and true assessment of the national zeitgeist that it bears repeating.

Arcanen posted:

The Nauru leaks have been picked up by the New York Times, Times magazine, and CNN. So at the very least, Americans will learn how lovely Australians are.

Here is a choice quote from the CNN piece.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/10/asia/australia-nauru-leaked-files/

"The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection sent CNN a statement saying that many of the reported incidents were unconfirmed allegations, and the files themselves are evidence of the "robustness" of reporting procedures. It also said that "many of the incidents are historical in nature.""

Even our tolerant peace loving mates from down under have had enough and they only have a fraction of the problem we do! This is further evidence we need to build a wall and man it with troops armed with assault rifles and RPGs.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-11/lady-tradies-new-conference-women-in-trades/7703528

quote:

New conference aims to boost number of tradeswomen by challenging sexist attitudes by Hayley Gleeson Posted about an hour ago

During World War II, thanks to the exodus of men to the frontlines, it was common to find lady folk working in skilled technical jobs like mechanics, electricians and painters in Australia. When the war ended, however, many women returned from their jobs as munitions factory workers and drivers and farmers, some begrudgingly, to traditional 'women's roles' — domestic duties, raising children, nursing — leaving men to once again dominate the workforce, particularly the trades. Today, the gender imbalance lingers, and in the past 10 years alone has gotten worse, with dramatically fewer women than men embarking on and continuing traditional trades careers in 2016. It's a problem Fi Shewring is trying to address by reminding us of the history of women's involvement in the trades. Talking about it, she says, is critical if we are to shift the stubborn, sexist attitudes towards women preventing change. "Women's history is often forgotten," Ms Shewry, the president of Supporting And Linking Tradeswomen (SALT), told ABC News. "It's not considered significant."

SALT conference honours history of women in trades

Ms Shewry, a painter and decorator by trade and a TAFE teacher, will this week launch the inaugural SALT Tradeswomen Australia Conference, for which tradeswomen, apprentices and policy makers from around the country will gather in Wollongong, New South Wales, to honour the women who worked in trades during the war. "It's also to give current tradeswomen a sense of their own history, because most of them don't know it either," Ms Shewring said. "Everybody thinks women are only just starting to work in the trades, but it's not true." SALT, which Ms Shewry founded in 2009 as a support network for tradeswomen and apprentices, is a not-for-profit organisation that aims to increase women's representation in trades by running awareness and advocacy campaigns, working with schools, and running skills workshops that teach women how to use tools. "Girls don't realise they can do this work," said Ms Shewry, who rejects the popular term 'lady tradie' because she feels it puts an unnecessary focus on gender. "Saying 'lady tradie' has a connotation of not being a full tradie ... Jobs shouldn't have a gender," she said. But that is only part of the reason why so few women pursue and persist with trade careers; many girls today grow up believing they can do anything — unless, of course, it's a male-dominated trade occupation.

Why don't women pursue trades careers?

Indeed, a 2015 report by Quay Connection, commissioned by the NSW Skills Board, found that women make up less than 10 per cent of total applicants for traditional trade apprenticeships, while few employers consider taking on female apprentices. The report cited many reasons for this, including persistent stereotypes that trades work is men's work, low visibility of female role models in trades industries, and low awareness among young women of career opportunities for women in trades. Employer attitudes and workplace cultures also act as significant barriers, with almost half of employers surveyed for the report indicating they didn't think women were physically capable of doing the job, while 42 per cent believed women would require more support in training. Significantly, almost every female apprentice who took part in focus group surveys said they had experienced bullying, discrimination or harassment on the job, though many were reluctant to report it out of fear of retribution. "There is a huge undertone about sex, lots of sexual tension ... but you can't care about it," said one apprentice. "If you complain, you get on their wrong side. The harassment just gets pushed under the carpet."

The number of women in trades is tanking

A new report out last week by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency shows that the proportion of women working in Construction, Australia's most male-dominated industry, has fallen from 14.8 per cent in 1995 to 12 per cent in 2015. Meanwhile, the proportion of women Labourers (which includes cleaners, factory process workers and food preparers) dropped from 36.9 per cent in 1995 to 33.6 per cent in 2015, and the proportion of women Machinery Operators and Drivers also shrank from 14.1 per cent in 1995 to just 9.2 per cent in 2015. And yet numerous government and non-government strategies have sought to boost women's representation and retention in trades. In 2012 the New South Wales government launched its Women in Trades initiative to "increase the number of women working in male-dominated trades". It nurtures multiple partnerships with industry, local councils and community groups and funds several projects designed to recruit and support tradeswomen, including one with SALT. However, four years on, the dwindling proportion of women in many trades suggests such strategies are not particularly effective.

Trying, but not hard enough

Women NSW Director Natasha de Silva conceded that more can and should be done to encourage women into trade occupations. "While women's share of the workforce in many technical and professional occupations has increased over time, the number of women working in trade occupations has been decreasing," Ms de Silva told ABC News. "The business case for a diverse workforce is well established, however, companies' verbal commitment to increasing the number of female employees is not sufficient." Workplace Gender Equality Agency Director Libby Lyons said: "Strategies that encourage women and girls into trades or other male-dominated fields need to be backed up by strategies to keep them. This means offering inclusive workplaces with respectful cultures, opportunities to work flexibly as well as support women to return to work after having children."

WGEA report doesn't tell the whole story

But Ms Shewry argued the WGEA report was misleading because it did not reflect the progress that has been made to improve women's representation in the trades since 1995. "There have been significant changes since [SALT] began in 2009," Ms Shewry said. As for all the women attending the SALT conference this week? "I hope they gain an understanding of how [women in trades] is not new, [that] this has been done before," she said. "[We need] a shift in society thinking to something that isn't so tempered with unconscious bias ... that treats women with respect."
Maybe if NTATA hadn't sleazed up to every young woman on every work site ever we wouldn't be here.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I can't imagine you'll find many women wanting to work in trades if site culture stays the way it does. It's not as bad on smaller jobs, but anything bigger than a small block of flats seems to be a magnet for macho fuckwits.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Which makes sense, having the data sit on a foreign server is sometimes enough to trigger their data retention laws. eg there was some muttering about the data being subject to the PATRIOT Act if the data was stored in the US.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

open24hours posted:

I can't imagine you'll find many women wanting to work in trades if site culture stays the way it does. It's not as bad on smaller jobs, but anything bigger than a small block of flats seems to be a magnet for macho fuckwits.

A lady only company would probably fix that but I can't imagine enough qualified tradies exist due to the awful culture on large sites (i know a few lady apprentices but they seem to be almost always the only women on site which makes me think the burnout rate is pretty high). Which is bizarre because the BLF are one of the major reasons melbourne uni started one of the first womens studies groups so you would assume the union would have done more to clean up the culture.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I hope Dutton falls face first into a whipper-snipper.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Endman posted:

Are you an Amethyst parachute account?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Endman posted:

:eyepop:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Cartoon posted:

I'm actually most of the posters in this thread.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Specifically I'm referencing this:

Peter Dutton posted:

Some people have even gone to the extent of self-harming and people have self-immolated in an effort to get to Australia, and certainly some have made false allegations in an attempt to get to Australia.

His first response to the Nauru files.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
:nws::nws:

Endman
May 18, 2010

It takes a very special type of person to hear allegations made by children of sexual assault and immediately say "well they lie all the time you know"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Endman posted:

It takes a very special type of person to hear allegations made by children of sexual assault and immediately say "well they lie all the time you know"

A Murdoch op-ed columnist?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A Murdoch op-ed columnist?

:lol:

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Cartoon posted:

Needs more detail. How will the potato be sliced up? Will he be made into mash, or some fancy potato bake?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Redcordial posted:

Needs more detail. How will the potato be sliced up? Will he be made into mash, or some fancy potato bake?
I saw it as more of a Freudian slip from a poster actually trying to keep it on the QT.

-/-

Well looks like bloody revolution is the only way forward which brings me back to the opinion I held when I was an angry teen who thought that was the answer for everything. Is this progress?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol if u ever deviated from the belief that only the blood of the bourgeois will cleanse this vile land

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

lol if

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Endman posted:

Specifically I'm referencing this:

His first response to the Nauru files.

It was disgusting to see, but we knew what his response was going to be :(

The quote is also eerily close to one of the examples I gave here yesterday of poo poo I've heard people say about the asylum seeker on Nauru who self-immolated.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Redcordial posted:

It was disgusting to see, but we knew what his response was going to be :(

The quote is also eerily close to one of the examples I gave here yesterday of poo poo I've heard people say about the asylum seeker on Nauru who self-immolated.

I know the comparison is tired and overplayed, but I wonder if this is how it felt to be German in the 1930s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Cartoon posted:

I saw it as more of a Freudian slip from a poster actually trying to keep it on the QT.

-/-

Well looks like bloody revolution is the only way forward which brings me back to the opinion I held when I was an angry teen who thought that was the answer for everything. Is this progress?

Good ol' parapraxes, serving our unconscious up on a platter for the world to see!

*I'm studying psychoanalysis as an elective this semester. Our lecturer sadly, has plenty of material from Auspol to mention for reference. The internal conflict is strong, and very open in our political rhetoric.

• Locked thread