Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

System Metternich posted:

Boarisch Sproch, beste Sproch :colbert:

Entschuldigung, könnten Sie das bitte auf Deutsch wiederholen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Acutally I think I should double down, as this didn't map exactly to my local dialect, so:

Leechroanisch Sproch, beschde Sproch :v:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

pidan posted:

I've spent some time in rural Swabia over the last years, and when older people spoke to me I literally needed a translator.
Bavarians can't compete with that.

I'd bet that the same would happen to you if you spoke to older people in bumfuck upper Bavaria or God forbid lower Bavaria. Rural and older people is the key here.

Obligatory Ostallgäuerisch incoming:

"Isch rächt hähl dussa?" "Hosch zviel Saitling gessa? Muasch auf's Abort?" "Fehl, holl mr amol an Scharmitzel vo dr Dille ra"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Despite having been born im Allgaeu, the first time I came toe-to-toe with actual weapons-grade Schwaebisch was during my Bundeswehr time. When our Spiess did his introduction speech, I genuinely believed he had a speech impediment, partially because he had mimik and enunciation that suggested he was trying to unlock his jaw from chewing about six pieces of Riesen toffee simultanously.

Then, as I slowly became used to the accent and gained mastery in it, at one point I was tasked with organizing our Standortball and had to work closely with Mr.Mattheis (which, along with Eisele and Haeberle, seems to me like the most popular swabian surname), who ACTUALLY had a speech impediment. Now there was a challenge.

Also, the most iconic phrase my Spiess imposed on me was during some international football tournament, where Lettland was playing some banana republic.

"Wenn d'Lette itt' gschmiered werred, flieged mer raus".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a guy from Saxony in my office who when I first met him I genuinely believed had some sort of learning disability.

Jury's still out on that one a year later, actually.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

bronin posted:

"Fehl, holl mr amol an Scharmitzel vo dr Dille ra"

And where I live (about an hour to 90 minutes to the north of the Allgäu) this would be: "Maala, hoi m(a)r amoi a Gschtatl vo da Heach ra" :allears:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Beautiful

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

I'm a scheiß Ausländer who has been in the country long enough to understand spoken German in most situations. However, at a family function I was cornered by a Swabian relative of my partner, who proceeded to make sounds at me for several minutes while I nodded, smiled and desperately scanned the room for an interpreter. I still have no idea what he said to me, or what I might have nodded in agreement to.

But all that won't matter anymore because I just posted in English on the Internet while resident in Germany. Those sirens I hear in the distance must be the Ausländerbehörde coming to deport me for being an Integrationsverweigerer.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's a guy from Saxony in my office who when I first met him I genuinely believed had some sort of learning disability.

Jury's still out on that one a year later, actually.

Sächsisch does really sound like a mental retardation and I'm not even jocking about it. Must be difficult dating or interviewing for jobs with that handicap, poor fellas :(

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Fun fact: Until the 18th century and possibly even beyond, visitors to Germany would often write that the Saxon dialect was the most beautiful one. One of them even likened it to the singing of birds, iirc. Funny how perceptions can change, eh? :v:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Fun fact: Until the 18th century and possibly even beyond, visitors to Germany would often write that the Saxon dialect was the most beautiful one. One of them even likened it to the singing of birds, iirc. Funny how perceptions can change, eh? :v:

Ein weiterer Grund die Grenzen dicht zu machen. Eindeutig sind die Ausländer alle verrückt. :colbert:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Randler posted:

Ein weiterer Grund die Grenzen dicht zu machen. Eindeutig sind die Ausländer alle verrückt. :colbert:

Wort.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

Sächsisch does really sound like a mental retardation and I'm not even jocking about it.

I'd go with badly healed broken jaw plus recently removed wisdom teeth.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Still true. :angel: Can't take people serious who think the sweet melodic sounds of Sächsisch aren't awesome. Maybe you were speking to someone from the Erzgebirge!?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

If HeyGal's posts are any good and a hundred odd years didn't change much, then the guys who wrote this were too drunk to realize that they were in fact, in italy.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The real reason that the gap between rich and poor growth wider: The rich (well-educated) men are no longer loving (and marrying) poor women.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/hochzeiten-gleich-und-gleich-gesellt-sich-gern-14375223.html

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Norrskensren posted:

I'm a scheiß Ausländer who has been in the country long enough to understand spoken German in most situations. However, at a family function I was cornered by a Swabian relative of my partner, who proceeded to make sounds at me for several minutes while I nodded, smiled and desperately scanned the room for an interpreter. I still have no idea what he said to me, or what I might have nodded in agreement to.

But all that won't matter anymore because I just posted in English on the Internet while resident in Germany. Those sirens I hear in the distance must be the Ausländerbehörde coming to deport me for being an Integrationsverweigerer.

We can form a scheiß Ausländer Verein. Bayrisch can get hosed.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Randler posted:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

The real reason that the gap between rich and poor growth wider: The rich (well-educated) men are no longer loving (and marrying) poor women.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/hochzeiten-gleich-und-gleich-gesellt-sich-gern-14375223.html

lmao the real problem is us not killing all the ricjh people. not this bullshit.

az
Dec 2, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

Sächsisch does really sound like a mental retardation and I'm not even jocking about it. Must be difficult dating or interviewing for jobs with that handicap, poor fellas :(

Unlike bavarians and swabians they create a lot of hilarious moments though. I remember when a saxon Lt from another platoon adressed our company and held a speech in such gutter saxon that practically everybody assembled there broke out in violent twitches trying not to laugh openly. This was after my Kaleun had told one of our men that he had to unlearn his saxon and speak proper Hochdeutsch if he ever wanted to be taken seriously as an officer :allears:

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

lmao the real problem is us not killing all the ricjh people. not this bullshit.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

elbkaida posted:

Still true. :angel: Can't take people serious who think the sweet melodic sounds of Sächsisch aren't awesome. Maybe you were speking to someone from the Erzgebirge!?

Wörd

Saxon dialect best dialect, shame it's used as to signal "uncultured plebe" in the media. When soft Saxon vowels drip from someone's mouth like honey dew, that's when I know they're a cool person with a great sense of humor.

Caveat: I've never stayed in actual saxony, never met any of their apparently plentiful racists.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

pidan posted:

Saxon dialect best dialect, shame it's used as to signal "uncultured plebe" in the media. When soft Saxon vowels drip from someone's mouth like honey dew, that's when I know they're a cool person with a great sense of humor.
Quelle deine Zitate.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Heeeey, it's local election time in Berlin and MeckPomm. You know what that means!

:allears:

az
Dec 2, 2005

I'd vote for all of them to be put up first against the wall.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Und in den Ferien, da fährt sie nach Schwerin...

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Oha. Nur Oha.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Heeeey, it's local election time in Berlin and MeckPomm. You know what that means!

:allears:

I didn't think I'd ever have cause to say this since we're not the US, but: Jesus Christ, could this be any whiter?

Fake edit: I just googled for a terrible poster I remembered from way back, and what the gently caress did I even stumble upon:

:psyduck:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

No
Nope
Nope
Huh?
Absolut Wählbar doesn't really sound very good. "Absolut essbar". See?
Again, not really a Wahlplakat in your favour
Brony

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Quoting from China.txt

Lollerich posted:

Remember that chinese "tourist" who was "accidentally mistaken" for an asylum seeker in Germany? Local news here in Germany ran a piece on him today and interviewed the state employee who helped him file for asylum.

As it turns out, the documents he signed were in Mandarin (as it's mandatory that these kinds of papers are in the native language of the asylum seeker) and he was guided through the entire process by that employee and a professional translator who speaks Mandarin and is specifically employed for the single purpose of translating for Chinese refugees (because all asylum seekers have a right to be guided through the process in their native language).

They say that it's impossible for him not to have known what he was signing. They even gave him a public transport ticket and he travelled to the asylum home on his own without further assistance, nobody took him there.

So, now everybody is mystified as to how it is even possible for this guy to claim that it was all a misunderstanding and claiming that he was just a tourist who got robbed and mistaken for a refugee. Also, at the refugee place that he was staying at, there was a second chinese asylum seeker (a woman), so he had every opportunity to talk to somebody and try to figure his poo poo out. The other people at that home however noticed that the two never interacted with each other, like they were avoiding each other on purpose.

This seems more like he was actually trying to get asylum and chickend out at some point?

http://www1.wdr.de/mediathek/video/sendungen/aktuelle-stunde/video-aktuelle-stunde-1144.html

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

My Lovely Horse posted:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

ABen posted:

We can form a scheiß Ausländer Verein. Bayrisch can get hosed.
Forming an eingetragener Verein, integration in motion. :unsmith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

I gotta ask: What do you have against the poor?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

My Lovely Horse posted:

:augenknall:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

GaussianCopula posted:

I could've told FAZ in a few sentences what this woman needs two pages for:

Men don't give a poo poo about a woman's credentials or occupation. They just want a woman that is nice to be around and easy on the eyes.

The one's left out are the highly educated women because they are the ones that refuse to marry down.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Riso posted:

Men don't give a poo poo about a woman's credentials or occupation. They just want a woman that is nice to be around and easy on the eyes.

The one's left out are the highly educated women because they are the ones that refuse to marry down.

I guess the 10% of male Akademiker who marry down are the ones who only care about looks, and the remaining 90% of male and (allegedly) 100% of female Akademiker are the ones who actually care about having a partner with similar culture, life experience and values.

Or maybe all women are whores, who knows.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Riso posted:

That's a weird way to read that article, because the main news is that academic men used to marry down, but they don't need to anymore since they now can find their female partners in the the same cultural class. So now the class layers don't get crossed by marriage anymore and there's a higher risk of class stratification. The problem of highly educated women not finding partners isn't really impacted because it just means that the formerly uneducated marriage partner of an educated man is now educated too.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Grim Up North posted:

That's a weird way to read that article, because the main news is that academic men used to marry down, but they don't need to anymore since they now can find their female partners in the the same cultural class. So now the class layers don't get crossed by marriage anymore and there's a higher risk of class stratification. The problem of highly educated women not finding partners isn't really impacted because it just means that the formerly uneducated marriage partner of an educated man is now educated too.

As far as I can tell it's mostly marrying in the circles they move in: university, work.
I can't even find that thing on Bloomberg besides the following from earlier in the year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2016-who-marries-whom/

quote:

When it comes to falling in love, it’s not just fate that brings people together—sometimes it’s their jobs. We scanned data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2014 American Community Survey—which covers 3.5 million households—to find out how people are pairing up. Some of the matches seemed practical (the most common marriage is between grade-school teachers), and others had us questioning Cupid’s aim (why do female dancers have a thing for male welders?). High-earning women (doctors, lawyers) tend to pair up with their economic equals, while middle- and lower-tier women often marry up. In other words, female CEOs tend to marry other CEOs; male CEOs are OK marrying their secretaries.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Or you could just be creeped out that Gaussian has this weird "gently caress the poor" trend going on lately.

So lets tally: Hates humanitarian refugees, hates the poor, moans about the burden on landlord, making appeals to a class system

Yeah, I think I've found the problem.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 10, 2016

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Grim Up North posted:

Good news, everyone: While the situation of uneducated women might have become worse, the situation of educated women has improved and the situation of uneducated men is the same as always.

Riso posted:

High-earning women (doctors, lawyers) tend to pair up with their economic equals, while middle- and lower-tier women often marry up. In other words, female CEOs tend to marry other CEOs; male CEOs are OK marrying their secretaries.

Good thing then there are more male CEOs than female CEOs as they are in higher demand. The market provides!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

This lady at my last job had the habit of softly talking to herself in Alemannisch and from a distance all you heard were intermittent hissing noises. It loving killed me.