Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol Mateen's dad is just your average run of the mill total lunatic, Foley is a loving monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Yoshifan823 posted:

This is blatantly untrue, it is a bunch of liberal lies. Many excellent people have vouched for Mark's character. Why, no less than Dennis Hastert has said that Mark Foley is a guy who really knows what's important in life, and that he and Mark were two peas in a pod. And if you can't trust Dennis Hastert, who can you trust?

:tipshat:seriously lolled.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh man, who is gonna tell Spaced God about Paedogeddon in the UK?

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcEMH5YuI6E

This is from January. Trump is falling back on old habits, things that worked for him before. Fits nicely with the narcissism theory after the terrible week+ he's had.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
He is pivoting in full circles.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

sleeptalker posted:

This is from January. Trump is falling back on old habits, things that worked for him before. Fits nicely with the narcissism theory after the terrible week+ he's had.

Where is Turan? :confused:

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

sleeptalker posted:

Which is just the thing his spin team (control rods) are going to use to say "well, he really meant..."

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 11, 2016

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh man, who is gonna tell Spaced God about Paedogeddon in the UK?

I need to just accept that I'm a tiny POLS baby and some things are better left ungoogled.

Fake edit: that's some lovely phrasing on my part

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How is this loving election real?!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

RE: Animal Rights BS from like 10 pages ago.

There isn't currently a very coherent animal rights/welfare/liberation movement in the US. There are some very passionate believers, but they don't form any sort of truly strong bloc, for a number of reasons. Not least of which is that animal rights/welfare/liberation are not necessarily the same goals. There is even some disagreement about whether or not pursuing policies for the humane treatment of factory farmed animals is even a worthwhile pursuit, for reasons that vary from "it's a waste of resources better spent on more structural reforms," to "it's providing structural support to an oppressive institution" to bizarre animal liberation accelerationism.

The movement lacks any coherent leadership, and if it has a public face, it's PETA. Which is a problem, because by the standards of most animal rights/welfare/liberation believers/supporters/activists that I know, PETA is a bunch of whackjobs. Without going into unnecessary detail, PETA is awful at optics in a way that turns off a lot of people, not just potential allies but their own base. They also have all the goddamn money, their membership numbers are enormous, they have celebrity endorsements (Paul McCartney for PETA is way more famous than Peter Dinklage for Mercy For Animals, for example), name brand recognition, and political inertia on their side. Other organizations, from your local animal shelter to the Humane Society, just can't pull the public eye the way that screaming spectacle can.

Now, where does this matter for this thread?

W/R/T Hilary Clinton: The Humane Society Legislative Fund publishes a score card for how Senators and Representatives vote on animal rights issues. HRC's record is pretty good - 83 for the 2008 year, for example. She made a strong showing across her entire term. While she could have been stronger - my senators (NJ) have hit 100's and 100+'s with some frequency - she's not exactly an enemy of cows and cats. Chances are, she'd sign in a lot of good pro-animal legislation.

We don't have a firm legislative record to compare with from Trump, but Trump Steaks isn't exactly a brand that screams "humane treatment" to me, and given how he wants to treat people, well.

Another factor - Bill Clinton may be the most famous vegan on the planet. Whether he's more famous than Paul McCartney and whether he's actually vegan (he says he is, one of his doctors says he eats fish, another doctor says that he doesn't, etc) may be up for debate, but him becoming First Gentleman would likely do a lot of awareness raising, and many animal rights folks I know are pretty stoked about his increased publicity.

Taken together, what other posters have said is right - animal rights activists who want to see anything happen will get the most benefit from 'protesting' at Hilary events, and it's certainly the only way they'll get on this thread's radar. It's fairly shrewd on both their parts - Clinton's response to one protestor was “We’ll keep talking, apparently these people are here to protest Trump, because Trump and his kids have killed a lot of animals. So, thank you, for making that point,” which scores points for her, for animal rights nuts, and against Trump.

Actually going to Trump events will just lead to getting physically assaulted.

Epic High Five posted:

10,000 noodly e-Nazis

"Noodly E-Nazi" is a great username.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Clinton's camp disavowed Mateen, right? How is Trump going to spin this one?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Spaced God posted:

I need to just accept that I'm a tiny POLS baby and some things are better left ungoogled.

Fake edit: that's some lovely phrasing on my part

Believe me after the last year and a half of Earth I can 100% understand people not wanting to be informed about everything.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Crow Jane posted:

Nothing was proven nothing was proven nothing was proven. Clinton Emails Clinton Emails Clinton Emails.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Epic High Five posted:

lol Mateen's dad is just your average run of the mill total lunatic, Foley is a loving monster

Plus didn't he just showed up int he audience, Foley was invited?

The seats behind the candidate are usuayl people who were invited aren't they?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
gently caress Russia/Putin

Hack of Democrats’ Accounts Was Wider Than Believed, Officials Say

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 11, 2016

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Crow Jane posted:

You say that like facts have stopped him before.
He's probably gonna say she personally gave him a VIP pass to celebrate his son or something

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/763550116695404544

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Spaced God posted:

You say that like facts have stopped him before.
He's probably gonna say she personally gave him a VIP pass to celebrate his son or something

And sadly him saying literally any combination of consecutive words that's not an actual slur or death threat at this point raises his credibility. If only by comparison.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tulip posted:

"Noodly E-Nazi" is a great username.

"Th- this is my stormfront! It was made for me!"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Didn't a lot of Russian officials get hit by a big breach from an "unknown source" a week or so back? I think may papa Putin has reason to cool his heels, especially in light of the fact that Trump's likely going to lose no matter how much he helps him

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ImpAtom posted:

How is this loving election real?!

How are elections real if our votes aren't real?

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

please change the thread title to this, from the article.

USPOL: another batch of damaging or embarrassing internal material

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Epic High Five posted:

Didn't a lot of Russian officials get hit by a big breach from an "unknown source" a week or so back? I think may papa Putin has reason to cool his heels, especially in light of the fact that Trump's likely going to lose no matter how much he helps him

Wasn't that some "look we were victims too, we definitely aren't perpetrators!" nonsense that Slylock Fox could have seen through?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's pretty funny how the emails that were leaked prior to the DNC actually ended up helping Hillary by getting DWS out of the picture leading to a spectacularly successful convention. (Yes I know DWS would have helped set it up no one cares)

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

So actual policy question: One of Donald Drumpf's few actual stated policy goals is repatriation of money stored offshore by American companies, untaxed. He's offering to let companies bring it into the American system with a one-time jubilee of a 10% tax on repatriated money.

Ignoring the fact that these companies currently are enjoying a 0% jubilee since they are doing fine not being taxed at all, what on Earth could the fascist yam do to enforce this?

The companies actually DO want to repatriate the money, because it allows them to payout executive bonuses and stock dividends.

It's a bad idea for two reasons: (a) it was a money loser in 2004-2005 when we tried it last and (b) doing the holiday encourages companies to keep holding money off-shore in subsequent years in hopes of getting another holiday.

RuanGacho posted:

That money is never coming back stateside, iirc both Bush and Obama tried an amnesty for money repatriation and the results are as you would expect when the appropriate analogy is calling your stolen cell phone and asking pretty please bring my gold studded car made of bearer bonds back, please?

A good bit of money did come back stateside in the 2004-2005 holiday, but instead of being spent on creating jobs in America as the Bush admin contended, it instead went into the 1%'s pockets.

Precambrian posted:

Foley's about as politically toxic a guy can be before he's already in prison, so the fact that Trump's staff decided that it was ok to have him stand behind their candidate, so that the press can get tons of photos of Donald standing in front of a known pedophile, tells me that they've pretty much given up.

e. Seems it was publicly open and he just showed up early for his seat.

Right, I'm not sure they'd have even known who he was, it's not like Trump has staffers specifically focused on Florida after all.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I think the true brilliance of this is not that it's likely to tip Utah, but that Arizona and Nevada have small but significant Mormon populations as well.

Well and a lot of this is long game. Even if Clinton doesn't win Utah or Arizona or something, hopefully as some voters there break their "never voted for a Democrat" streak on Hillary Clinton, the cognitive dissonance will (a) cause them to hate her a bit less and (b) make them less reflexively repulsed by the idea of voting Dem in the future.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Despite Trump being absurdly easy to read none of the GOP managed to mount a coherent attack against him during the primary debates. poo poo like "New York values" lines were so bland and half assed it was embarrassing. All his mugging about being amazing in the debates was only because everyone was slow pitching at him for whatever reason. Dunno if they were all just that terrible (Rubio and Cruz) or just afraid of pissing of Trump/his supporters.

Basically the latter, but slightly more complicated. Most of the attacks on Trump are attacks from the left - he's racist, he's greedy, he insults women, his policy ideas make no goddamn sense, etc. But it's not like Republicans can attack him for being too harsh on immigrants when they want to be harsh on immigrants too. The party of laissez faire can't really hit Trump on being a greedy shitbag, because that's basically a compliment for them. And it's not like the party of voodoo economics can criticize Trump for unrealistic policies with any credibility.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I think you are expecting more out of the swing state Democratic parties than they have to give. I don't know what originally caused it, but those parties have just completely lost the ability to field decent candidates or campaign for them. There is no way Ernst should have been elected in Iowa, but the Democratic party did their usual poo poo job. I didn't hear anything about the Democrat in that election, every one of their ads I saw it heard was just "Ernst bad, a vote for our guy is a vote against her" which really doesn't get people out to vote.

It's pretty tough to be a swing state Democratic party post-2010. It's unpaid and thankless work, and national trends can screw you pretty hard. There's tons of money in Presidential years, but fundraising really dries up the other 3 years. Not to mention that a lot of these swing states used to be uncompetitive. In my state, the party at the CD or State level is still heavily populated by folks whose formative experience was the dark years of 1980-2004. Hopefully as the Obama generation of activists moves up through the ranks it'll get a bit better.

Have Some Flowers! posted:

How long do we think it takes for a Trump statement to reflect in polls? Let's say he makes a dumb statement on a Tuesday afternoon. How long does that news take to saturate. 2 days?

All polls have different methodologies, but I'm curious what some averages are for how long they take to complete, and how long the findings take to process before the results are reported out.

It seems reasonable that you might have a week delay or so between a dumb statement and a movement in reported polls?

I'd guess about 4-5 days. Polls are conducted over several days, and they spend some time in analysis before they're released.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Also, no matter how much we panic here, Trump will not start WW3. He would be incredibly damaging, but there are enough checks and balances that he would not actually guide us into oblivion.

Others have commented on the nukes, but from a conventional perspective, the President can invade literally anywhere for a period of like 60 days without Congressional approval. If they refuse to authorize the war, he's got 30 days to bring the troops home.

zoux posted:

If you contact any Hillary campaign organ, give them your email and say "I'm interested in volunteering", they'll never leave you alone. It's bonkers.

Yeah. If you sign up on the website, or sign in at a rally and say you'll volunteer, your local HFA staffer will be assigned to call you like a day or two later.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Tulip posted:

RE: Animal Rights BS from like 10 pages ago.

There isn't currently a very coherent animal rights/welfare/liberation movement in the US. There are some very passionate believers, but they don't form any sort of truly strong bloc, for a number of reasons. Not least of which is that animal rights/welfare/liberation are not necessarily the same goals. There is even some disagreement about whether or not pursuing policies for the humane treatment of factory farmed animals is even a worthwhile pursuit, for reasons that vary from "it's a waste of resources better spent on more structural reforms," to "it's providing structural support to an oppressive institution" to bizarre animal liberation accelerationism.

The movement lacks any coherent leadership, and if it has a public face, it's PETA. Which is a problem, because by the standards of most animal rights/welfare/liberation believers/supporters/activists that I know, PETA is a bunch of whackjobs. Without going into unnecessary detail, PETA is awful at optics in a way that turns off a lot of people, not just potential allies but their own base. They also have all the goddamn money, their membership numbers are enormous, they have celebrity endorsements (Paul McCartney for PETA is way more famous than Peter Dinklage for Mercy For Animals, for example), name brand recognition, and political inertia on their side. Other organizations, from your local animal shelter to the Humane Society, just can't pull the public eye the way that screaming spectacle can.

Just to add onto this, since it's a subject I'm somewhat familiar with (although, admittedly, it's second hand from a very close friend who is an actual animal rights attorney who is deeply involved in the movement and has worked at a number of major organizations):

One of the biggest fundamental problems with the movement right now, like so many other left-wing movements, is that the organizations spend almost all of their resources fighting and sniping with each other instead of trying to actually work together to accomplish anything. There's a variety of reasons for this -- a lot of it is just purity arguments (we want the same goal, but MY way is better and yours is terrible), and there's a significant amount of politicking, in line with the PETA model, where groups will temporarily ally to block the efforts of another group because they don't want them to get credit for a reform they all support.

As a very vague example, a few years ago said friend spent a whole summer in New York attempting to pass a very popular local ordinance that was fully supported by basically everyone in the local animal rights community. What ended up happening was a three month fight with constantly shifting alliances between 8-10 of the most prominent local activist groups, where they constantly undermined each other and hosed over the entire process until eventually it was all abandoned and nothing got done. It was completely, entirely leftist infighting amongst a bunch of passionate people with all the same goals.

The other issue is that because, generally speaking, the community is fairly small, there's a shitton of baggage and most people in the movement have longstanding beefs with other people they used to work for/with, and that drives a lot of the spite stuff too. On top of that, because most of these organizations started as passion projects and, through one way or another, suddenly became solvent (either through actual work or because rich people had money to play with), most of them are horribly and grossly mismanaged, usually out of simple incompetence but sometimes out of malice. One woman based on the east coast in particular who runs a fairly large program has devoted a huge portion of her time and energy into suing every former employee she's ever had, even those who left to work outside of animal rights, for absolutely insane reasons.

Most people in the movement acknowledge that PETA is a loving horrible garbage organization, but it's also pretty much the only "successful" one, so while everyone knows their game (They're the Jill Stein of animal rights, basically), they also are desperate to emulate them since they're the only organization with any real major national profile.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

It varies wildly from event to event. If you're like on stage with the candidate, that's almost certainly intentional. But when a candidate is speaking on a stage in the middle of a room essentially "in the round" it's probably just random.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

In case I missed anyone spelling it out specifically, Foley was grooming pages. Lots of people sent warnings to the leadership of the house but it was brushed under the rug by none other than child molester Dennis loving Hastert.

The speaker of the house was diddling boys and covering up another rep diddling boys and his party didn't collapse from the scandal. How in the actual gently caress.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/NoahGrayCNN/status/763539466598232064
TRUMP SUPPORTERS ARE KIND AND LOVING FOLK WHO DON'T WANT TO SUSPEND THE FIRST AMMENDMENT

You have to suspend the First Amendment to protect the Second.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
*Waves at Matt Bors*

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/763540383896743937?s=09

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
What is Mark Foley even up to. I guess he was selling real estate for a while?

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

SedanChair posted:

"This neighborhood has lots of asssssssssets for childhood development, *cough* ah, excuse me...It's got great schoolbOY AM I THIRSTY"

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

SedanChair posted:

Must be tough when you can't showcase houses too near the good schools.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Aerox posted:

Just to add onto this, since it's a subject I'm somewhat familiar with (although, admittedly, it's second hand from a very close friend who is an actual animal rights attorney who is deeply involved in the movement and has worked at a number of major organizations):

One of the biggest fundamental problems with the movement right now, like so many other left-wing movements, is that the organizations spend almost all of their resources fighting and sniping with each other instead of trying to actually work together to accomplish anything. There's a variety of reasons for this -- a lot of it is just purity arguments (we want the same goal, but MY way is better and yours is terrible), and there's a significant amount of politicking, in line with the PETA model, where groups will temporarily ally to block the efforts of another group because they don't want them to get credit for a reform they all support.

As a very vague example, a few years ago said friend spent a whole summer in New York attempting to pass a very popular local ordinance that was fully supported by basically everyone in the local animal rights community. What ended up happening was a three month fight with constantly shifting alliances between 8-10 of the most prominent local activist groups, where they constantly undermined each other and hosed over the entire process until eventually it was all abandoned and nothing got done. It was completely, entirely leftist infighting amongst a bunch of passionate people with all the same goals.

The other issue is that because, generally speaking, the community is fairly small, there's a shitton of baggage and most people in the movement have longstanding beefs with other people they used to work for/with, and that drives a lot of the spite stuff too. On top of that, because most of these organizations started as passion projects and, through one way or another, suddenly became solvent (either through actual work or because rich people had money to play with), most of them are horribly and grossly mismanaged, usually out of simple incompetence but sometimes out of malice. One woman based on the east coast in particular who runs a fairly large program has devoted a huge portion of her time and energy into suing every former employee she's ever had, even those who left to work outside of animal rights, for absolutely insane reasons.

Most people in the movement acknowledge that PETA is a loving horrible garbage organization, but it's also pretty much the only "successful" one, so while everyone knows their game (They're the Jill Stein of animal rights, basically), they also are desperate to emulate them since they're the only organization with any real major national profile.

When asked about PETA I always say "it's complicated." On the one hand, they're assholes. On the other, they're who I go to when I forget what's vegan at Taco Bell.

The rest of this is pretty on the nose about what happens to a movement that's pretty acephalous. And there's not much reason for major change - animal movements have been this way for like 100+ years, and it's not treated very seriously outside of a pretty small sliver of the left. We're actually seeing a lot of positive change, and it seems to be due to changing public sentiment at large (dogfighting is becoming very unpopular, for example), so the awareness guys seem to be getting something done, but that seems to be in spite of not because of the way the movement "cooperates."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Quick, folks, how is Trump gonna spin this Foley thing? Your options:

1. Who's this Mike Foley, never heard of him

2. Mike's only crime was loving America too much, don't listen to what is said in the lying media

3. Oh is sending messages a crime now? AT LEAST he didn't use a PRIVATE SERVER

4. Well, what's worse, paedophilic grooming or Being Related To A Terrorist?

5. (Starts talking about Bill Clinton and Jeffrey Epstein)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Fangz posted:

Quick, folks, how is Trump gonna spin this Foley thing? Your options:

1. Who's this Mike Foley, never heard of him

2. Mike's only crime was loving America too much, don't listen to what is said in the lying media

3. Oh is sending messages a crime now? AT LEAST he didn't use a PRIVATE SERVER

4. Well, what's worse, paedophilic grooming or Being Related To A Terrorist?

5. (Starts talking about Bill Clinton and Jeffrey Epstein)

6. Say he would only gently caress his daughter, never a boy

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The DEA has announced that marijuana will remain on Schedule I for the foreseeable future, as the FDA continues to hold that it has "no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

gently caress the DEA.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

gently caress the DEA.

Sounds like they consulted the FDA, who probably don't want an epidemic of people dying from cancer because a bunch of homeopathic idiots trying cannabis oil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What does it having medicinal use have to do with it staying schedule 1? How did those arguments get tied together?

• Locked thread