Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

caberham posted:

Hey Korea do you guys have a cafe robouchon yet?

Definitely not. Can't imagine that doing too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
What are some Korea evac tasks that I'm blanking on.

Go in to turn off Internet and phone.
Set up transfer for pension.
Forget about Korean taxes because gently caress that.

Anything else?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Evac?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hey Koreagoons, I'm thinking about moving to a big city for one more year before I go back to America. I'm in Japan right now, but I'm considering hitting another country. Is Seoul fun? I've spent a few weeks in Korea but never lived there. If I did this I would need to teach English obviously because I have no other skills and don't speak Korean.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Hey Koreagoons, I'm thinking about moving to a big city for one more year before I go back to America. I'm in Japan right now, but I'm considering hitting another country. Is Seoul fun? I've spent a few weeks in Korea but never lived there. If I did this I would need to teach English obviously because I have no other skills and don't speak Korean.
What do you consider fun? Seoul has cheap and vibrant nightlife and lots of accessible mountains for hiking.

Many people find the teaching/working conditions tedious at best, but if you've done it in Japan you'll probably be fine.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Seouls good. According to some Japan goons I met earlier this year, You'll find it cheaper more accessible. Also, it's open really late. I think most nights out end up being until 2-3am. There's obvious vibrant night life areas that go on partying until the sun comes up as well. There's plenty of museums, hiking, and parks to hang out in.

Oh since you're a goon: most people do not play console games here since Japanese consoles were banned or just rebranded by Samsung in the 90s. As a result, everyone plays pc games here. That means then that there's internet cafe's all over the place that cost around $1.50/hr to play whatever you want.

I've never been to Japan so I'm not sure otherwise how it would compare.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Japan is Korea as run by adults.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

AmbientParadox posted:

I've never been to Japan so I'm not sure otherwise how it would compare.

Korea is fun too but this is just too hosed up

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Grand Fromage posted:

Japan is Korea as run by adults.

Misspelled ruined.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Japan is Korea run by grandparents. The boring kind, not the angry cutting in line kind.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Japan is Korea run by grandparents. The boring kind, not the angry cutting in line kind.

With a little bit of mom's touch

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Raphisonfire posted:

With a little bit of mom's touch

Do they have Mom's Touch in Japan? They expanded fast.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
random question but I remember watching a great lecture (probably on youtube) about how propaganda portrayals of kim il sung and kim jong il emphasised maternal traits like nurturing and protection, compared to the emphasis on strength in portrayals of figures like Stalin. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have a link?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Phone posting, but that sounds like BR Myers, maybe his book 'The Cleanest Race'

I actually just bought his book on the history (Or lack of it) of Juche, anyone know if he's actually as authoritative on the subject as he sounds?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Firebell Burger is opening a new location in Pangyo

They are defintiely one of, if not the best burger in korea

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Speaking of burgers, I waited for some Shake Shack in Gangnam last night, and I've reaffirmed that it wasn't worth the hype.
I've had it once before on my last visit to nyc, and I didn't remember it being all that amazing back then, either.

Don't wait in line for it. We just happened to walk by when there wasn't much of one, so we figured we'd give it a shot. Long lines, and expensive prices for what ultimately boils down to just a serviceable burger and shake.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
I also want to add that earlier, my girlfriend commented about how I'm good at eating burgers. I've never really thought about it before, but there's just a way to hold and bite a large burger without it falling apart on you.
Since then I've noticed how people really don't have a clue how to eat a burger properly. I should start a class.

I often see people taking bites of one ingredient at a time. The lady next to us at shake shack yesterday received her burger and had a literal look of disgust as she examined it. Then she took the tiniest, seriously a mouse sized nibble of onion, followed by a nibble of meat, then told her boyfriend the burger was good.
She then just went back to looking at the burger with a mild disgust as she contemplated how to eat it.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

theravenpope posted:

She then just went back to looking at the burger with a mild disgust as she contemplated how to eat it.

haha, behold the stupid foreigner's amazement at an average amount of food in America
USA! USA! USA!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Now that you mention it I do have a Korean friend I used to go burg with regularly and I did give her tips to not have the thing collapse into a heap halfway through. I guess there is a technique to holding it together that we don't really think about as something we learned at some point.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The trick is to use bigger chopsticks.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

TsarZiedonis posted:

Phone posting, but that sounds like BR Myers, maybe his book 'The Cleanest Race'

I actually just bought his book on the history (Or lack of it) of Juche, anyone know if he's actually as authoritative on the subject as he sounds?

Yes that was it! Thanks :)

Here's the lecture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy1iudsIKa8

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Whizbang posted:

The trick is to use bigger chopsticks.

Maybe use the new Chork?

In other news, kpop star Tiffany of SNSD hosed up today by posting the Japanese Rising Sun flag on social media. Its bad you see, becauee today is Korean Independence Day!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AmbientParadox posted:

Maybe use the new Chork?

In other news, kpop star Tiffany of SNSD hosed up today by posting the Japanese Rising Sun flag on social media. Its bad you see, becauee today is Korean Independence Day!

Wouldn't that be bad any day? Essentially like unironically posting the nazi flag?

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I love that the translator of that article used "Confederate Flag" to refer to the Rising Sun flag.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Tbh Koreans tend to overreact to anything thy resembles Rising Sun flag. But yeah she hosed up badly, especially considering it's liberation day :D

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Uhhh, she used a cutesy word art thing that had a Japanese flag in it because she was in Tokyo.

I'm usually not one to defend the degenerates who make modern culture, but this seems like an insane overreaction.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Korean netizens in a nutshell really.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

TsarZiedonis posted:

Uhhh, she used a cutesy word art thing that had a Japanese flag in it because she was in Tokyo.

I'm usually not one to defend the degenerates who make modern culture, but this seems like an insane overreaction.
Doesn't matter really. Considering that Rising Sun flag is treated equivalent to swatstika she hosed up badly. You wouldn't be flying Nazi flag in Israel, would you?

Speaking of Rising Sun flag, some people might not get the overreaction from Koreans and Chinese, but you have to be aware that it was a symbol of Imperial Japan which oppressed and massacred many Koreans and Chinese. Just think of Swatstika and Jewish and you'll get it.

Edit: personally I don't care unless it was intentional, but the timing couldn't have been worse especially because it was Liberation Day.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 16, 2016

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Actually it was about states rights

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Jeoh posted:

Actually it was about states rights

Specifically about the Korean state to exist

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

nullscan posted:

netizens in a nutshell really.

Fixed

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Love Stole the Day posted:

Specifically about the Korean state to exist
Korean state to America!

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
The tempered glass partition in my bathroom exploded last night and now my building manager is giving me static about getting it fixed. This is a great loving way to start my vacation.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

joedevola posted:

The tempered glass partition in my bathroom exploded last night and now my building manager is giving me static about getting it fixed. This is a great loving way to start my vacation.

He is probably scared. All he heard was what he thought was a gunshot and then the sound of breaking porcelain.
Maybe try a courtesy flush next time or try not to eat sonic boom inducing food.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
If I had broken it I'd put my hands up and pay for it, but I didn't. Tempered glass just shatters spontaneously sometimes. If it had happened two minutes earlier when I was showering it would have hosed me up pretty badly.

I'm not paying to have their building's haunted rear end bathroom fixed. If they try and stiff me on my security deposit I'm going to paint everything bright neon green before I leave.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

joedevola posted:

If I had broken it I'd put my hands up and pay for it, but I didn't. Tempered glass just shatters spontaneously sometimes. If it had happened two minutes earlier when I was showering it would have hosed me up pretty badly.

I'm not paying to have their building's haunted rear end bathroom fixed. If they try and stiff me on my security deposit I'm going to paint everything bright neon green before I leave.

on the bright side, think how much more room you'd have to do your dishes!

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

joedevola posted:

I'm not paying to have their building's haunted rear end bathroom fixed.

Did you accidentally clean your previous residence? The ghosts will always find you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like to imagine the woman inventing that superstition and just giggling all day about her plan to get out of cleaning the loving house again.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Anyone have any suggestions for TOPIK study? Books, methods, anything really. I passed the level 2 a long time ago, then felt that was good enough. I'm at the point now where if I pass the level 4 I should be able to change my visa under the points program. Probably going to try to take the November test.

Right now the plan is to keep up with my Anki deck every day, and try to learn around 10 new bits of grammar every week. I've got Korean Grammar in Use, intermediate, and will move to the Advanced book when I'm done with this one. And at some point I'll start with the previous tests for practice. Does anyone else have any other books they'd suggest, specifically for the TOPIK?

Actually classes are out, unless someone knows some specific to Daejeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

cryptoclastic posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for TOPIK study? Books, methods, anything really. I passed the level 2 a long time ago, then felt that was good enough. I'm at the point now where if I pass the level 4 I should be able to change my visa under the points program. Probably going to try to take the November test.

Right now the plan is to keep up with my Anki deck every day, and try to learn around 10 new bits of grammar every week. I've got Korean Grammar in Use, intermediate, and will move to the Advanced book when I'm done with this one. And at some point I'll start with the previous tests for practice. Does anyone else have any other books they'd suggest, specifically for the TOPIK?

Actually classes are out, unless someone knows some specific to Daejeon.

I would also like to test for level 4~5 on the TOPIK sometime soon and could use some recommendations