Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

The trackpad and keyboard on my dad's Toshiba Chromebook are excellent, pretty similar to my work Macbook Pro, could happily use them all day. Windows trackpads are all garbage but mostly because the OS is still somehow not designed with trackpads in mind.

I always hear about how Windows trackpads are terrible, but I've been using them for four or five years and haven't noticed any problems? Granted, I don't use Macs much so I don't have anything to compare to, but I also haven't had any complaints. What is peoples' gripes with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

minusX posted:

My Nexus 6 on T-Mobile got the August 5th Security update, GPS + LTE/GPRS works fine now. Pokemon Go, Waze, etc. Huzzah

My Nexus 6 just got it on AT&T, but I didn't experience any issues before that, except the slow camera. It starts up way faster now, but maybe that's just due to the restart.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

hooah posted:

I always hear about how Windows trackpads are terrible, but I've been using them for four or five years and haven't noticed any problems? Granted, I don't use Macs much so I don't have anything to compare to, but I also haven't had any complaints. What is peoples' gripes with them?

There's nothing wrong with a decent Windows trackpad, but Apple's are undeniably better.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

hooah posted:

At this point, it's mostly a software issue, as most applications still don't really do multitouch properly. Outside of builtin Windows 10 apps, gestures like two-finger scrolling and zoom are borderline broken, even in multiplatform applications that work correctly in OS X (e.g. web browsers). This is probably not going away until newer Windows development frameworks take over that provide ways to allow these to be handled more elegantly than the jury rigged retrofit solution we have now, which usually consists of converting gestures to legacy events like mousewheel scrolling.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Zorilla posted:

Outside of builtin Windows 10 apps, gestures like two-finger scrolling and zoom are borderline broken

What? Since I've had a track pad and drivers that support two-fingered scrolling, I could probably count on one hand the number of times it didn't work right.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

hooah posted:

What? Since I've had a track pad and drivers that support two-fingered scrolling, I could probably count on one hand the number of times it didn't work right.

But can you do it without having to think about it? That's the difference between using a touchpad on a Mac vs. a Windows PC. For me, it works right about 80-90% of the time. The rest of the time, it either zooms or doesn't register at all. While it usually does what it's supposed to do, anything less than 99% accuracy is enough to make me slow down a little and use deliberate movements in order to avoid mistakes, and that gets fatiguing after a while.

Even in the few applications where multitouch and per-pixel scrolling is supported mostly correctly (Edge, Weather, Store, etc.), I still experience some jank where the scroll position will jump up or down upon release because I didn't lift both my fingers off the touchpad at the exact same time.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 9, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zorilla pretty much explained it perfectly but I guess I'd add that the relationship just feels perfectly one-to-one with a Mac trackpad. Combined with macOS's heavy usage of gestures (three and four finger swipes, spreads, pinches) and it's just this perfect, seamless interface that you don't have to ever consider.

If I were trying to explain it to someone who hadn't used one on the reg I'd say that it's so good it makes using a mouse feel slow and inaccurate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As with many things Apple, their lead in this area was due to them acquiring technology innovators early so as to lock out the rest of the market while competitors played catch-up (see also fingerprint sensors.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I can't say I've ever had to think about it except from when I switched the direction that swiping down moves the content. Otherwise it's fine. I don't use zoom, though, since I almost never have to zoom in on anything and if I do it's like Google Maps or something else that supports scrolling for zooming. I can definitely understand the lack of additional gestures if you're used to that, but alt-tab has always worked well enough for me and I've never used anything like Expose.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does Windows even support proper smooth planar scrolling yet? Last time I used a Windows trackpad (Win 7 I think) scrolling was either horizontal or vertical like I'm some kind of caveman.

Seriously I use Windows at home and MacOS at work every day of my life and I vastly prefer Windows in almost every way except that the trackpad / magic mouse support (okay, and lack of ADB drivers) makes Mac a hands down better development environment. ChromeOS is also great for these things but since I can't run Android Studio on it it's largely worthless for me. I really love it as a user-friendly OS that my dad can't break though.

None of this is very Androidy, whoops.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 9, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LastInLine posted:

Zorilla pretty much explained it perfectly but I guess I'd add that the relationship just feels perfectly one-to-one with a Mac trackpad. Combined with macOS's heavy usage of gestures (three and four finger swipes, spreads, pinches) and it's just this perfect, seamless interface that you don't have to ever consider.

If I were trying to explain it to someone who hadn't used one on the reg I'd say that it's so good it makes using a mouse feel slow and inaccurate.

Apple's trackpad is so good, I stopped using a mouse with my Mini.
Best couch peripheral ever made.

The 64gb 6P and ZTE Axon 7 are nearly the same price right now at USD $400-425. Wouldn't mind an SD820 and 4gb ram, but Nexii have regular Google updates...
Any rumors on the prices of the Nexuses S&M yet?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 10, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

Any rumors on the prices of the Nexuses S&M yet?

Nothing I've read anywhere. If I were a betting man I'd say more on the high end than the low end but I have nothing to base that on other than idle speculation. The facts that carriers will be offering and subsidizing the device, no one knows whether they will even be branded Nexus, and Google seems to want to move their phones upmarket all seem to point to a more premium pricepoint.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
For some reason, my Kindle Fire is showing 800MB of videos and photos that don't exist. I've tried poking around the file system with ES File Explorer and by plugging it into my laptop, but I haven't found anything that would account for the used space. Any ideas?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LastInLine posted:

Nothing I've read anywhere. If I were a betting man I'd say more on the high end than the low end but I have nothing to base that on other than idle speculation. The facts that carriers will be offering and subsidizing the device, no one knows whether they will even be branded Nexus, and Google seems to want to move their phones upmarket all seem to point to a more premium pricepoint.
They might be selling them, but the carriers aren't doing subsidies anymore. Do we even know names on the pair, yet?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

They might be selling them, but the carriers aren't doing subsidies anymore. Do we even know names on the pair, yet?

Are you sure? Rogers in Canada (and I'm pretty sure our other carriers too) has subsidized and sold on contract pretty much every Nexus, unlocked and unmodified and no bloatware too.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Both Nexuses were cancelled because they needed to divert those teams to building messaging apps to replace Allo and Duo.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

sirbeefalot posted:

Just an update, there was a .nomedia file in the root of the storage directory for some reason. I don't have one on my phone, so I dunno what put it there for her. Anyway, it seems that that was keeping Photos from seeing anything except for a couple exceptions: Instagram, Screenshots and Beam. Nothing else was showing up before, and now new stuff added does show up. Older photos that are still in those directories are still MIA though. Good enough, I guess. :psyduck:

If you reboot and wait a bit it should do a media scan and pick up your :filez:. As far as I know the .nomedia file is there to stop that broad scan from picking things up.

Apps like Instagram specifically tell the media system HEY ADD THIS NEW FILE TO THE DATABASE THANKS when they save a pic, and if you copy files over in windows or whatever I assume the MTP connection it uses handles registering the individual files you add. With the whole .nomedia situation, sometimes you have to reboot to get things to show up at all

It's not something you're meant to care about though, generally people aren't meant to be janitoring their phone's filesystem

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Has anyone ever had any luck getting Spotify to respect their settings regarding using the SD card? On an S7 edge and despite numerous iterations on "delete cache, uninstall, reinstall" it keeps ignoring its own and android's save to SD settings.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What's good on notepad apps and scheduling? Something like OneNote?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

What's good on notepad apps and scheduling? Something like OneNote?

OneNote?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MikeJF posted:

OneNote?

Yeah OneNote is good.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Lazyhound posted:

For some reason, my Kindle Fire is showing 800MB of videos and photos that don't exist. I've tried poking around the file system with ES File Explorer and by plugging it into my laptop, but I haven't found anything that would account for the used space. Any ideas?

Do you have a lot of stuff backed up on Amazon photos from say an Android phone? I've had weird issues with my fire reflecting stuff I've backed up from my phone and never even looked at on my Kindle.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend a suction mount (presumably sold as a car windscreen mount) that I can use to attach my N6P to a vertical surface (imagine a window or a mirror) and have the phone point at whatever angle I want, including potentially angled downwards? There are loads of mounts around but I don't know what range of movement they have on them. Also I'm in the UK so something on Amazon UK ideally.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Tunga posted:

Can anyone recommend a suction mount (presumably sold as a car windscreen mount) that I can use to attach my N6P to a vertical surface (imagine a window or a mirror) and have the phone point at whatever angle I want, including potentially angled downwards? There are loads of mounts around but I don't know what range of movement they have on them. Also I'm in the UK so something on Amazon UK ideally.

virtually any of the generic suction cup mounts will do this. between the mount being curved, and the ball joint that they all have you should be able to achieve pretty much any position you want. https://www.amazon.com/Mobility-Universal-Suction-Dashboard-Windshield/dp/B01C4NV7CA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1470846036&sr=8-3

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

Do you have a lot of stuff backed up on Amazon photos from say an Android phone? I've had weird issues with my fire reflecting stuff I've backed up from my phone and never even looked at on my Kindle.

No, nothing backed up, and I disabled the feature that pre-loads content.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Lazyhound posted:

No, nothing backed up, and I disabled the feature that pre-loads content.

Did you actually delete the stuff, if it preloaded anything before you turned it off?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

Did you actually delete the stuff, if it preloaded anything before you turned it off?

I did, yeah, and iirc this has been going on since before the update that added that feature.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a method to minimize your PC from burning up mobile data while tethered? Windows 10 in particular? As soon as my PC realizes it's on a wifi connection it will begin downloading updates etc which can be multi GB.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Hadlock posted:

Is there a method to minimize your PC from burning up mobile data while tethered? Windows 10 in particular? As soon as my PC realizes it's on a wifi connection it will begin downloading updates etc which can be multi GB.

1) Stop putting off your loving updates.

2) You can set an access point as metered. In Windows 10, in Settings > Network > Wi-Fi, select your cell phone access point and there'll be a 'metered network' toggle in there.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 11, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

1) Stop putting off your loving updates.
Wasn't it Patch Tuesday like, yesterday?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Wasn't it Patch Tuesday like, yesterday?

Yes, and after seeing how recalcitrant most people are with updates, to the point of still seeking reghacks to stop them in Windows 10, I don't care.

"I wanna do them when I'm ready" is an attitude that goes back somewhere around an actual people generation and in my experience maybe five percent of them ever are ready to do updates at any point.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 11, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Yes, and after seeing how recalcitrant most people are with updates, to the point of still seeking reghacks to stop them in Windows 10, I don't care.

"I wanna do them when I'm ready" is an attitude that goes back somewhere around an actual people generation and in my experience maybe five percent of them ever are ready to do updates at any point.

If Microsoft didn't push adware (GET WINDOWS 10!) broken updates, and driver rollbacks routinely in through Windows Update, perhaps users wouldn't have been trained to avoid them?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

If Microsoft didn't push adware (GET WINDOWS 10!) broken updates, and driver rollbacks routinely in through Windows Update, perhaps users wouldn't have been trained to avoid them?

Except Windows 10 is cool and good and better in basically every way. The types of people who gripe about not wanting a streamlined update process invariably gently caress something up and end up with exposure to known vulnerabilities that would have been patched out had they not gone to great lengths to avoid those patches. I understand some people want to just be allowed to run the risk of ingesting malicious code but with the world being as interconnected as it is nobody wants a stubborn friend/peer/coworker serving as an unwitting vector for malware.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Lazyhound posted:

You could try https://diskusage and see if you can find/delete the files that way.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Except Windows 10 is cool and good and better in basically every way. The types of people who gripe about not wanting a streamlined update process invariably gently caress something up and end up with exposure to known vulnerabilities that would have been patched out had they not gone to great lengths to avoid those patches. I understand some people want to just be allowed to run the risk of ingesting malicious code but with the world being as interconnected as it is nobody wants a stubborn friend/peer/coworker serving as an unwitting vector for malware.

I agree with this 100% (except the part about Windows 10 being good--I've never seen it anywhere) but the point remains that if you train users not to trust something you need to work, don't be surprised when it isn't trusted.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

FAUXTON posted:

It's not streamlined until it can install updates without requiring a reboot.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

I agree with this 100% (except the part about Windows 10 being good--I've never seen it anywhere) but the point remains that if you train users not to trust something you need to work, don't be surprised when it isn't trusted.

I've never run into a broken update or a driver rollback as you're describing, though. The past 20 years have certainly given me plenty of reasons to distrust MS from time to time but I've never had a patch pushed through WU break my computer and I certainly haven't had one gently caress with a driver. Not even those goofy experimental video card ones from ATI back in the day.

Are you talking about it recommending WHQL drivers over whatever shenzhen hackjob they ship on a mini-CD with a $20 card reader that goes in a 3.5" bay?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

isndl posted:

It's not streamlined until it can install updates without requiring a reboot.

This will never happen, probably should just give this idea up right now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drivers getting pushed through windows update as opposed to loving never getting updated or even properly installed on 99% of computers is a goddamn godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

I've never run into a broken update or a driver rollback as you're describing, though. The past 20 years have certainly given me plenty of reasons to distrust MS from time to time but I've never had a patch pushed through WU break my computer and I certainly haven't had one gently caress with a driver. Not even those goofy experimental video card ones from ATI back in the day.

Are you talking about it recommending WHQL drivers over whatever shenzhen hackjob they ship on a mini-CD with a $20 card reader that goes in a 3.5" bay?

This is becoming quite a derail, but there were at least two broken updates I've read about in the last year and driver rollbacks are common, again from what I've read. Obviously some of these things only happen if you automatically install recommended updates but, again, that's my point. You can't trust their recommendations.

CLAM DOWN posted:

This will never happen, probably should just give this idea up right now.

And yet with the exception of firmware updates and point releases, macOS has done it for years. I probably only reboot my MacBook four times a year and all of the updates happen in the background with no user intervention whatsoever.