Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Schremp Howard posted:

This topic has probably been beaten to death, but is there a reason no third party has been able to make component cables for the Gamecube? I play most of the games on my Wii which is hooked up via component, but I would love to get the Gameboy Player to look even better.

Check out BadAssConsoles.com

They have the gcvideo and have a plan to roll out a plug-and-play solution for both component (using Wii cables) and hdmi in the future. However, they are funding development by selling the internal solutions first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Hi, this thread is moving fast, and I've been trying to keep up.

I'm really interested in building a Raspberry Pi emulator thingumy. The one that plays all the SNES and Genesis games that you guys were talking about a dozen pages ago. I would really like to make this and give it to my wife for Christmas.

I've been Googling about it and I'm not finding a lot of resources for total amateur, complete newbie hobbiests interested in making such a thing. Like, I find the stores to order parts from, and there's a lot of justifiable assumption that you'll know what to do with all of it, but none of them are like "here's how you make it."

Can any of you point me to a resource or page or whatever that assumes that you have absolutely NO tools to solder and construct, and will hold your hand every absolute step of the way?

I've been looking for a gateway drug into retro gaming and this Raspberry Pi thing sounds like just the ticket.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Can any of you point me to a resource or page or whatever that assumes that you have absolutely NO tools to solder and construct, and will hold your hand every absolute step of the way?
Buy a complete kit like this one and put RetroPie on it. No soldering required and documentation for installing RetroPie is decent. Be warned that it is not entirely plug-n-play - it's still Linux so stuff like getting sound working can be a pain and the overall fit-and-finish is not up to commercial standards, but you aren't going to get anything better in this space.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

david_a posted:

Buy a complete kit like this one and put RetroPie on it. No soldering required and documentation for installing RetroPie is decent. Be warned that it is not entirely plug-n-play - it's still Linux so stuff like getting sound working can be a pain and the overall fit-and-finish is not up to commercial standards, but you aren't going to get anything better in this space.

I'm not sure how long ago you set up your RetroPie, but I just re-imaged my SD card and started with the newest installation (last time was a few years ago), and the image works pretty much right out of the box now, aside from configuring a controller (dead simple from within EmulationStation) and loading ROMs onto the device. You'll only really need more advanced knowledge if you need to troubleshoot problems, but even then there is enough documentation and support out there via Youtube or the official RetroPie forums (or here) that you can work through most problems really easily.

Especially if you're only looking to emulate NES/SNES/Genesis, it's super easy.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
this is extremely important

https://soundcloud.com/cringe-audio/alfred-chicken-nintendo-phone

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The guy doing the voice sounds like he's going to end the recording with a hammer-click and a gunshot to escape the pain :stare:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The guy doing the voice sounds like he's going to end the recording with a hammer-click and a gunshot to escape the pain :stare:

If you play "Suicide Is Painless" with it, it's the saddest thing in the world :smith: . It's like you can hear the smell of a Florida motel room that's had a few too many decades of cigarette smoke, dust, broken dreams, and the stench of sweaty desperation imbued into its autumn leaf pattern bed covers from the 1970s.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
help me find my girlfriend

help me find the watering cans

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Wow.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Well...well then. Huh.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nintendo was so inspired that 12 years later they would do the same

"this is charles martinet the voice of mario and I'm not under duress!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

al-azad posted:

Nintendo was so inspired that 12 years later they would do the same

"this is charles martinet the voice of mario and I'm not under duress!"

I talked to him once! He called in about his webhosting when I used to work for X7 Hosting, and told him I very much appreciated his work. He said 'Oh, I appreciate the kind words!' and then in loving Mario voice said "T'ank you veddy much!!" and it made my day/week/year.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Drone posted:

I'm not sure how long ago you set up your RetroPie, but I just re-imaged my SD card and started with the newest installation (last time was a few years ago), and the image works pretty much right out of the box now, aside from configuring a controller (dead simple from within EmulationStation) and loading ROMs onto the device. You'll only really need more advanced knowledge if you need to troubleshoot problems, but even then there is enough documentation and support out there via Youtube or the official RetroPie forums (or here) that you can work through most problems really easily.

Especially if you're only looking to emulate NES/SNES/Genesis, it's super easy.

There is a possibility, I guess based on your TV, that audio out via HDMI might not work out-of-the-box because lol if you think something Linux-based will work with sound reliably. This requires going into the terminal and loving with boot config files. On the plus side, other than this it is essentially turnkey and a kit is definitely the way to go. Canadians have a well-priced bundle from canadakit for what that's worth, they sell on Amazon. If you want something with a specific case look (e.g. building your own NES mini like that guy did) that's a way, way more involved project and generally speaking will require decent soldering skills and/or access to a 3D printer or the ability to have something printed on demand. You are also best off dedicating specific controllers to the device. Also, at this stage unless you absolutely need composite out out-of-the-box, get a Pi 3 as it has both built-in WiFi and built-in Bluetooth, not to mention having a fast enough processor to handle pretty much anything not N64.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So the next project I was going to tackle was to replace all the batteries in my carts; anyone else who has done that, any success with the electrical tape method that seems to come up first on google? Would definitely prefer to do that than to break out the soldering iron for every single one.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nate RFB posted:

So the next project I was going to tackle was to replace all the batteries in my carts; anyone else who has done that, any success with the electrical tape method that seems to come up first on google? Would definitely prefer to do that than to break out the soldering iron for every single one.

Desoldering the old battery and soldering in new tabbed batteries would be faster than that gross-rear end tape monstrosity.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

Desoldering the old battery and soldering in new tabbed batteries would be faster than that gross-rear end tape monstrosity.

:yeah: As someone whose first successful soldering jobs were replacing the batteries in silver and gold a few weeks ago, I tried the non-soldering method first, and soldering is not just faster but easier.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

After some practice I even managed to get it down to such a quick process that a couple games actually retained their data. I wouldn't count on that but it amused me. (I ended up deleting the save anyway because it was someone else's)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Part of it was also so that I could buy all the batteries I'd need in bulk, if I have to get ones with tabs already on them it seems like it'd be a heck of a lot more expensive. Is there a particular pack/deal that might mitigate this?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/panasonic-bsg/CR-2032-HF1N/P658-ND/2404063

$1.03 per unit if you buy 10-49 from Digikey with a few dollars of shipping. You can probably find them on ebay cheaper even.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Nate RFB posted:

Part of it was also so that I could buy all the batteries I'd need in bulk, if I have to get ones with tabs already on them it seems like it'd be a heck of a lot more expensive. Is there a particular pack/deal that might mitigate this?
Do not buy batteries without tabs and then try to solder directly to them. At best the heat from the iron wrecks the battery and cuts its lifespan, at worst it could rupture and injure you.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What about something like this, which eschews the tabbed battery approach with a battery holder mod that is itself soldered into the cart, presumably so that future battery replacements are even easier?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Nate RFB posted:

What about something like this, which eschews the tabbed battery approach with a battery holder mod that is itself soldered into the cart, presumably so that future battery replacements are even easier?
Yeah, that's fine, but it's even more work and cost. Given that the batteries last literal, actual decades, the time savings for your future-self swapping them out again is basically negligible.

Just buy a bunch of them with the tabs already attached and do all your carts at once. It'll cost you less than $2 per, and you'll build up your soldering skills in the process. If you're worried going into it, find a junk circuit board somewhere and do some practice desoldering and soldering. Make sure you use flux.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 11, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

How many times do you think you'll even replace it in your life? Do whatever you want, but I've always opted for tabbed CR2032s because I figure spending a couple of minutes 30 years later isn't a big deal, if I even care about the poo poo when I'm 60.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The only games worth considering a holder for would be like Pokémon Gold and Silver, since they will drain a battery in 5-10 years instead of 30.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Elliotw2 posted:

The only games worth considering a holder for would be like Pokémon Gold and Silver, since they will drain a battery in 5-10 years instead of 30.
Yeah, games with a Real-Time Clock hit batteries way harder. I wonder if there are holders that would fit inside a GB cart, though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

BattleMaster posted:

How many times do you think you'll even replace it in your life? Do whatever you want, but I've always opted for tabbed CR2032s because I figure spending a couple of minutes 30 years later isn't a big deal, if I even care about the poo poo when I'm 60.

You'll care when you're 70 because you'll have more free time, be lonelier and have the mind of a child! It all comes back around eventually.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm having a weird sensation playing Secret of Mana on the Vita. It's freaking me out how tiny the game's view window is. The camera doesn't move until you're a couple pixels away from the edge of the screen. I thought this was an emulator issue but nope, this is how the game was designed.

I don't know why I'm experiencing this awkward feeling now when I'm totally familiar with the game on other platforms. Maybe it's the fact I'm playing it in its natural aspect ratio on the Vita's widescreen and the pure black borders of the OLED are tricking my eyes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't even consider this possibility but anyone have any experience with something like the Retrode to backup saves? I could probably live with losing most of my SNES saves but it might be nice if I could hang onto Chrono Trigger at least, since that has like 20 NG+ runs on it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I didn't even consider this possibility but anyone have any experience with something like the Retrode to backup saves? I could probably live with losing most of my SNES saves but it might be nice if I could hang onto Chrono Trigger at least, since that has like 20 NG+ runs on it.

Yes these work, as does a RetroFreak. That said if you just need it done as a one-off, people in this thread should help you out; I can do it from within Canada if you can wait like a month before sending it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

BattleMaster posted:

Nail Rat posted:

You'll care when you're 70 because you'll have more free time, be lonelier and have the mind of a child! It all comes back around eventually.

Lol, if you aren't already planning on retrogaming on your death bed.

Alt answer: Bury me with my money retro collection.

Because I have no money.

Because I spent it on my retro collection.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Lol, if you aren't already planning on retrogaming on your death bed.

Who in this thread will be the first to go senile and rant in the nursing home to their visiting adult children and grandchildren that "they're coming out with a Super Nintendo this year, that's what I want for Christmas"?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
"He can only retain memories for the amount of time a Chrono Trigger play through takes. I've never seen someone so happy."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Who in this thread will be the first to go senile and rant in the nursing home to their visiting adult children and grandchildren that "they're coming out with a Super Nintendo this year, that's what I want for Christmas"?

I think if you've gone senile, you're more likely to demand a Jaguar.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

univbee posted:

Germstore posted:

"He can only retain memories for the amount of time a Chrono Trigger play through takes. I've never seen someone so happy."

This is legit going to be me, I'm sure of it.

Random Stranger posted:

I think if you've gone senile, you're more likely to demand a Jaguar.

Maybe if dementia happens instead.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Maybe if dementia happens instead.

"*mumble* *mumble* do the math *mumble"" you say.

"I am" says the nurse while fine-tuning the amount of sedative in the syringe.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
See this is why I insist on hacking all of my devices to run emulators, I want something that can do SNES and PSX in every room so that when I eventually fall down and can't get up, I'm covered no matter where I do it

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i'll be a bitter old lady who goes on about how "kids these days don't know how good they have it, in my day we started with 3 lives and if we lost all of them, we'd have to start over again from the beginning and we liked it that way!"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

univbee posted:

"*mumble* *mumble* do the math *mumble"" you say.

"I am" says the nurse while fine-tuning the amount of sedative in the syringe.

Lol

Code Jockey posted:

See this is why I insist on hacking all of my devices to run emulators, I want something that can do SNES and PSX in every room so that when I eventually fall down and can't get up, I'm covered no matter where I do it

Oh drat, is this the endgame that everyone is trying to achieve? That's why emulators are the first things to get hacked into new technology! :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Play Doom on your Life Alert wrist device.

• Locked thread