Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

What I've learned from this thread is that keeping migrants out is monstrously inhumane, and giving them jobs is slavery.

Sounds like you haven't learned that it's possible to treat migrants as human beings, so this checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sinteres posted:

What I've learned from this thread is that keeping migrants out is monstrously inhumane, and giving them jobs is slavery.

You have learned nothing from this thread.

Loony left at it again, am I rite?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

drilldo squirt posted:

The worst thing about European racism is whenever it's brought up Europeans act like they are being attacked personally and will do everything in their power to deflect.

Strangely enough, white suburbanites in the 1960s acted the same way.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sinteres posted:

work 14 hours a day while living in a container shared by other two families and then tell me about dignity

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mans posted:

work 14 hours a day while living in a container shared by other two families and then tell me about dignity

After that I think I'd rather learn more about dignitas.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Pfft its the 21st century you can now use my new App CNTNR to disrupt the container market and assure the best inhuman living conditions for yourself and your Family.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mokotow posted:

Ukraine. :colbert:

I've not read much about it, basically I only know that it was a part of the Commonwealth, but how bad was it for the Ukrainians and other people living there? Were they oppressed by the szlachta more than the Poles in Poland (who were quite oppressed by them)?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Strangely enough, white suburbanites in the 1960s acted the same way.

In Europe I feel like it is more because the examples are often so country specific and it differs so much between countries. I doubt for example that an average Finlander can easily relate to any colonial heritage of France or that Joe Albanian care much about the grazing rights for Sami reindeers in Norway. Because for the last three centuries these countries had as much to do with each other as Austria and the US, or the US and Tibet, which is basically nothing. Their taught history and social classes in school likely focus on their own nation and possibly directly surrounding nations, local media likely does the same and they know not a lick of each others language. Yet these sort of examples are brought up as some example of pan European racism/structural discrimination while they are all extremely local examples not shared between more than a handful of countries. It is not like there is not structural discrimination all over Europe, it is just that it varies heavily in form and cause/historical background (except for Roma, everyone hates the Roma).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zudgemud posted:

In Europe I feel like it is more because the examples are often so country specific and it differs so much between countries. I doubt for example that an average Finlander can easily relate to any colonial heritage of France or that Joe Albanian care much about the grazing rights for Sami reindeers in Norway. Because for the last three centuries these countries had as much to do with each other as Austria and the US, or the US and Tibet, which is basically nothing. Their taught history and social classes in school likely focus on their own nation and possibly directly surrounding nations, local media likely does the same and they know not a lick of each others language. Yet these sort of examples are brought up as some example of pan European racism/structural discrimination while they are all extremely local examples not shared between more than a handful of countries. It is not like there is not structural discrimination all over Europe, it is just that it varies heavily in form and cause/historical background (except for Roma, everyone hates the Roma).

Yes, that was and is very common in the US as well, It turns out people really love rationalizing why they're totally unique and Not-Bad.

The really dumb part though is that unlike the US, I haven't heard anyone acknowledge "yeah that thing in [other area] was pretty racist". It's always "Oh no I can't be racist because I'm Finnish blah blah blah".

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Europeans have some fantasy about europe being the most civilized place in the world and acknowledging that they have racial issues would mean that isn't true.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

computer parts posted:

Yes, that was and is very common in the US as well, It turns out people really love rationalizing why they're totally unique and Not-Bad.

The really dumb part though is that unlike the US, I haven't heard anyone acknowledge "yeah that thing in [other area] was pretty racist". It's always "Oh no I can't be racist because I'm Finnish blah blah blah".

Can you link to a post where a European denies that Europe is racist as gently caress?

(not a Riso post though, cause he is the token race realist that every thread in SA somehow seems to have. doesn't count.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

waitwhatno posted:

Can you link to a post where a European denies that Europe is racist as gently caress?

(not a Riso post though, cause he is the token race realist that every thread in SA somehow seems to have. doesn't count.)

Here's one defending Neo Nazis:

Velkest posted:

NSU shot what, 10 people? American cops shoot more blacks in a single day, son.

e: lol I just noticed his most recent post that even better proves my point.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about.

quote:

Europeans have some fantasy about europe being the most civilized place in the world and acknowledging that they have racial issues would mean that isn't true.

I am not sure these are exclusive.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

drilldo squirt posted:

You have no idea how true this is right now. "loving Islamists breaking our culture, we better close our borders to all the refugees right now. No, *of course* I'm not a racist, I'm just more civilised than they are and they're going to ruin everything"

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Why did you spend the time to take out the link to my post riso? It's kinda weird.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

Why did you spend the time to take out the link to my post riso? It's kinda weird.

Riso goes to great length to avoid association with the Linke.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
^^
Good joke but Sarah Wagenknecht has been killing it recently with real talk.

drilldo squirt posted:

I copied and pasted by hand, you sperg.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
That's weird, you're weird riso.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

computer parts posted:

Here's one defending Neo Nazis:

e: lol I just noticed his most recent post that even better proves my point.

How is he defending Nazis? But more importantly, how is he denying that Europe is racist as hell?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
It's complicated waitwhat, but I believe in you're ability to figure it out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

waitwhatno posted:

How is he defending Nazis? But more importantly, how is he denying that Europe is racist as hell?

It's quite literally using "А у вас негров линчуют" to downplay Neo Nazis murdering people.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's called "whataboutism" :v:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's interesting to see how high Australia is here given the way everyone likes to portray them as viciously racist. The UK's surprisingly high too, though I'm sure the fact that they receive very few refugees helps. I'm actually surprised France and Belgium already had such a low opinion of immigration even before the refugee crisis.
https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/763641917670297600

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 11, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sinteres posted:

It's interesting to see how high Australia is here given the way everyone likes to portray them as viciously racist. The UK's surprisingly high too, though I'm sure the fact that they receive very few refugees helps.
https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/763641917670297600

That's just because Australia doesn't let any brown people in.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Considering Australia have been abusing refugee children in camps that are now illegal to report on, among other things on that list, I would disagree with that polls methodology giving such results.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

That's just because Australia doesn't let any brown people in.

They accept a lot as a percentage of their total population, they just also turn away a lot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That poll is pretty useless without a "Don't Know/They don't change the country" option since that one would still say racists are bad.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Also sinteres, australia is insanely racist.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It does say immigrants. People holed up in concentration camps haven't officially immigrated yet, I'm sure.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe Australians are being honest and remembering they themselves are immigrants? :haw:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

computer parts posted:

It's quite literally using "А у вас негров линчуют" to downplay Neo Nazis murdering people.

Bullshit. This is a tactic used to deflect criticism, it does not apply when the subject of the discussion is literally "who has the biggest ethnic integrating dick?". It's totally legitimate to bring up failures from both sides in such a discussion and compare them.

Also, this tactic isn't used to refute an argument, it's to make it disappear in a discussion. So if anything, he is saying that everyone else is just as hosed up as Europe(or even worse), not that the Nazis were right in murdering ten people, as you claimed.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

computer parts posted:

That poll is pretty useless without a "Don't Know/They don't change the country" option since that one would still say racists are bad.

If it's taken from Swedish data , there is one such category. The ratios for Sweden have been approximately constant and says 20-25% pro, 30-40% neither pro or against and 40-50% negative.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Cardiac posted:

If it's taken from Swedish data , there is one such category. The ratios for Sweden have been approximately constant and says 20-25% pro, 30-40% neither pro or against and 40-50% negative.

It has dropped 15% (39%-24%) since 2014. Maybe Swedes are regretting their earlier policies?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

computer parts posted:

That's utter bullshit, tons of people who live in Europe have just come into this thread to talk pretty bluntly about Racism in Europe, people do the same in the UK or Germany or Scandinavia threads on this forum.

The problem is that the question of 'Is Yurp the racistist?' tends to be swallowed into the interminable Europe vs America cripple fight where its not really about a constructive, objective look at Racism in Europe and more about scoring points for team USA. We get people like you who really want to talk about how Europe (the whole thing) is uniquely terrible and just dodge any equivalency with the US by screaming 'WHATABOUTISM!'

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Zudgemund put it well:

Zudgemud posted:

Generally speaking, if you show something racist in European country A and use it to say "Europe's racist" then somebody from European country B will be offended and will object. BUT if you make a separate claim that country B is racist, they won't object. So it's not racism denial as much as not wanting to be linked with other countries' poo poo.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Friends, friends! I think we can all agree that both Europe and America are racist in unique, diverse and colourful ways.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doctor Malaver posted:

Generally speaking, if you show something racist in European country A and use it to say "Europe's racist" then somebody from European country B will be offended and will object. BUT if you make a separate claim that country B is racist, they won't object. So it's not racism denial as much as not wanting to be linked with other countries' poo poo.
Yeah, people don't generally like to just be lumped together for no reason other than the accuser not bothering to differentiate between them, especially when it comes from a (in this context) privileged party, which Americans pretty much always are due to their cultural dominance.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, people don't generally like to just be lumped together for no reason other than the accuser not bothering to differentiate between them, especially when it comes from a (in this context) privileged party, which Americans pretty much always are due to their cultural dominance.

I don't think its a good idea to say there's any kind of privilege difference between Western Europe and America.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Perhaps you would like to give a definitive list of which countries are included in "Western Europe" in this context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Fox Cunning posted:

Friends, friends! I think we can all agree that both Europe and America are racist in unique, diverse and colourful ways.

I'm pretty sure they're both racist in a very white way, actually.