Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Secret pro strat is to switch to Symmetra when people complain about Torb. Oh and if you bitch enough I'm preferring you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Duck and Cover posted:

Secret pro strat is to switch to Symmetra when people complain about Torb. Oh and if you bitch enough I'm preferring you.

I'll admit to preferring people who freak out more than others a couple times, but I'm loyal to Torb. The only time I play something else is if someone slam pick him before I can.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ok game giving me the bastion boxing emote twice isn't cool

just give me at least ONE of the summer skins, c'mon. I swear I'm getting more purples than ever but none of them are summer skins

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Verranicus posted:

I'll admit to preferring people who freak out more than others a couple times, but I'm loyal to Torb. The only time I play something else is if someone slam pick him before I can.

I don't always switch but I do play other classes from time to time.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't always switch but I do play other classes from time to time.

Yeah I feel like if I stop the Torb train I'll stop ranking up. I was content to sit at 62 but have hit 64 now just casually playing soo.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I say it because Nanoboost + Visor is stupidly strong, and Visor is just stupid in general. It's more "push Q get kills" than Death Blossom (which does have an art to the perfect setup).

Giving 76 a quad damage that didn't stack with Nanoboost would make him a dangerous target that actually still takes skill to play. It would maybe make him even more dangerous with skilled hands and organized teams since he could use Quad for one encounter and be boosted after it wears off.

My main point is Visor is going to be a thing game designers laugh at for a long time. I already see a few developers saying their game "doesn't have a button that gives you free kills."

Soldier's ult is about as "push Q get kills" as Pharah's is - it does medium-high aim-free DPS to whoever he's looking at, at the cost of forcing him to expose his squishy self.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think it'd be an interesting risk/reward since you could either icicle up (and thus be invulnerable, but people could just leave your ult's radius like they can now) or try to chase people down to make sure they stay in the freezing aura (but then they can kill you and stop the ult entirely)

maybe it wouldn't work in practice tho, I literally just thought of it in that post

Mei has no mobility though, so it would be utterly awful. She has no way of approaching the enemy team.

The overall problem with Mei is that freezing an enemy is straight-up inferior to killing an enemy, so in order for her to be worth anything as a freeze-focused character, she needs to be really good to compensate for the fact that she can't get kills. Instead, she is real bad

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Main Paineframe posted:

Soldier's ult is about as "push Q get kills" as Pharah's is - it does medium-high aim-free DPS to whoever he's looking at, at the cost of forcing him to expose his squishy self.

Mei has no mobility though, so it would be utterly awful. She has no way of approaching the enemy team.

The overall problem with Mei is that freezing an enemy is straight-up inferior to killing an enemy, so in order for her to be worth anything as a freeze-focused character, she needs to be really good to compensate for the fact that she can't get kills. Instead, she is real bad

Hit E twice, point at your feet, left click.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Hit E twice, point at your feet, left click.

Rocket 10 feet in the air then get killed anyways because it's not a real mobility skill.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
According to this guy: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4t5k5t/your_account_can_be_banned_based_on_the_number_of/ Blizzard bans based on report volume alone, and someone he spoke to about it told him 'we let the community govern itself'. If that's true it's a bunch of poo poo and I'm a bit nervous about Torbing around now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thor-Stryker posted:

Rocket 10 feet in the air then get killed anyways because it's not a real mobility skill.

Vertical mobility doesn't count, words of wisdom right here.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

What golden weapon is everyone going to buy? I'm thinking Zenyatta's.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Phrasing posted:

I'll let you know in two years.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
The Peacemaker

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
i'm going to sit on my competitive points and hope blizzard gives me something better to spend them on b/c i really don't like how any of the golden guns look

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

Vertical mobility doesn't count, words of wisdom right here.

I mean I guess Mei's ice wall counts as a vertical mobility enabler of a sort, when it isn't glitching out anyway, but it's definitely a lot less fluid to use than something like Genji's wall climb/double-jump and it's also on a cooldown, plus it's more limited in sheer distance traveled than something like Genji or Pharah. Which is fine in the abstract because Mei isn't supposed to be a flanker to high-mobility DPS, but it's definitely not what people are generally thinking of when they think of mobility-enabling abilities in Overwatch.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Despite my newfound fears of being banned for playing Torb, my last bo of the night was pretty good, even though one of the skins was one I bought literally 2 days ago.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Phrasing posted:

Zarya then D.Va a couple weeks into season 2 :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Opposing Farce posted:

i'm going to sit on my competitive points and hope blizzard gives me something better to spend them on b/c i really don't like how any of the golden guns look

If it cost 10 comp points to initiate a vote kick in either comp or QP I'd probably play a lot more competitive. Hell, if more goons played competitive I'd probably play more competitive. At present it's quick play all day where you just get frustrated if trying to win is anywhere near the top of your list of priorities. It's really not rewarding to put forth any effort at victory in QP because it's only quick play.

On the other hand, quick play is great if you want to do things like troll the enemy team by sleep darting their flankers and just leaving them napping in some corridor. Sure you might get flak for not minding the objective or whatever but gently caress it, quick play. You sure as gently caress aren't the first one on your team to phone it in, no sense in being the last either.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Maybe I'm just overwhelmingly lucky but my quickplay games have actually at least seemed to involve both sides putting forth something approximating effort and relatively few complete wastes of space so I guess I don't really get the attitude that since comp started quickplay is just a dumpster fire of who cares.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
:thumbsup: I got this game last Friday. Tonight I played with 4 genjis a reinhardt and a lucio and we beat the other team extremely fast and it was one of the hypest things I have experienced in videogames. I had never even tried Genji before and I killed 60 men with my ult. NICE CRACK BLIZZARD :thumbsup:

How we got to 4 genjis: a couple people put on genji, lucio whined, so the other 3 of us also switched to genji, then 1 chickened out and went rein
We continued onto the next few missions with a real team (and still won) and lucio finally changed his opinion to "I love you all" :3:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Verranicus posted:

According to this guy: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4t5k5t/your_account_can_be_banned_based_on_the_number_of/ Blizzard bans based on report volume alone, and someone he spoke to about it told him 'we let the community govern itself'. If that's true it's a bunch of poo poo and I'm a bit nervous about Torbing around now.

The fact that Bacontotem reached rank 1 by playing history's worst Hanzo makes me skeptical to bans being based on report volume alone.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 11, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kai Tave posted:

Maybe I'm just overwhelmingly lucky but my quickplay games have actually at least seemed to involve both sides putting forth something approximating effort and relatively few complete wastes of space so I guess I don't really get the attitude that since comp started quickplay is just a dumpster fire of who cares.

I want to play with you, then. I keep running into situations like two healers who are practicing healing and are so green at it that I had a gold medal in heals as S76, or someone so bad at tanking that they couldn't stay alive as Reinhardt unless they had the full attention of no less than 3 healers. On top of that there's the "I CANT DO THIS WITHOUT BACKUP" announcement by the guy who keeps dying all by his lonesome and just keeps trying to Rambo the enemy team like the rest of us are going to come back from the dead to back up his intrepid headlong rush into the waiting guns of their dva.

I mean I'm not even that great at the game and by my own admission I stop trying as quickly as possible because it's just wasted effort otherwise, but when I'm hanging up gold medals for kills, objective kills, time on point, damage, and heals as S76 there's more than just me doing it wrong. If I see I'm getting multiple gold medals and we're still getting rolled/stonewalled then I'm going to switch to a sniper and stop loving caring because there's no way I should be leading any of a loving team's stats unless I'm the sole healer or main tank. I'm not goddamn Seagull for gently caress's sake, me getting a bunch of gold medals means I'm somehow at the wheel of the shortest bus in town and there's no way in hell I'm going to slam my dick in the door of trying to herd the 5 people somehow worse than I am to a slogged-out victory. I'd rather eat a loss trying to roofie their reaper as Ana or sneaking around as offense torb than waste the time and effort in clearly being the only one giving a poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean I dunno, I've certainly had my share of lovely quickplay games where I wind up on a team and get steamrolled but I think the trick is to not care about that instead of simply tuning out entirely and deciding not to try at all because "it's quickplay." The matchmaker seems to consider me in a sufficiently good spot to place me in games where there's a reasonable amount of effort, but I'm gonna be honest you're playing a game with a purported 15 million players and telling the game to match you up with whoever, law of averages says that a fair number of those people will probably be idiots. That's just the nature of the beast. Or maybe they'll seem like idiots but are just genuinely well-meaning people practicing characters they aren't as familiar with in an environment where they won't be screamed at by dickheads for doing so. Also I've had plenty of cool and enjoyable games palling around with random goons but let me be honest, just because someone paid $10 to post on an internet forum doesn't mean they're going to magically be any better than Joe Average Rando, so expecting that to turn your experience around singlehandedly might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

I know for sure that plenty of goons play comp so if you haven't you should look into dropping by the various Discord channels or even the In-House Games thread which arranges curated goon-on-goon violence with an aim towards tryharding, really for comp you don't need a full six-stack, if you can get two like-minded people to join you then that seems to work out okay.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kai Tave posted:

I mean I dunno, I've certainly had my share of lovely quickplay games where I wind up on a team and get steamrolled but I think the trick is to not care about that instead of simply tuning out entirely and deciding not to try at all because "it's quickplay." The matchmaker seems to consider me in a sufficiently good spot to place me in games where there's a reasonable amount of effort, but I'm gonna be honest you're playing a game with a purported 15 million players and telling the game to match you up with whoever, law of averages says that a fair number of those people will probably be idiots. That's just the nature of the beast. Or maybe they'll seem like idiots but are just genuinely well-meaning people practicing characters they aren't as familiar with in an environment where they won't be screamed at by dickheads for doing so. Also I've had plenty of cool and enjoyable games palling around with random goons but let me be honest, just because someone paid $10 to post on an internet forum doesn't mean they're going to magically be any better than Joe Average Rando, so expecting that to turn your experience around singlehandedly might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

I know for sure that plenty of goons play comp so if you haven't you should look into dropping by the various Discord channels or even the In-House Games thread which arranges curated goon-on-goon violence with an aim towards tryharding, really for comp you don't need a full six-stack, if you can get two like-minded people to join you then that seems to work out okay.

Oh they certainly aren't any better than the average pubbie, there's just the slightly-raised bar of it being slightly less likely to end up with three hanzos and a widow getting slam-picked on Hanamura attack. Goons in the OW discord server by and large hate comp, and the in-house discord server is almost always empty outside like Friday evening. It's one thing slamming into the Ritalin wall on weekday afternoons where the latchkey kids are all getting a couple rounds in before the dose they got from the nurse at lunch wears off and their mom gets home and checks in on the status of their homework, it's entirely another losing 4 in a row at 6-7 PM because half your team is trying to flank for the first time and you're stuck trying to put out fires by rotating between Pharah, Soldier, and Reaper to tackle the enemy's turrets, pharah, and roadhog while also trying to push the Dorado cart to the first checkpoint.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Why does lucio have the most items?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Golem II posted:

Why does lucio have the most items?

Because he's cool & good & your friend.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Is it possible to get up to the higher ranks on comp to get a hold gun from the high 30s?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Golem II posted:

Is it possible to get up to the higher ranks on comp to get a hold gun from the high 30s?

The short and fantastical answer is yes through the powers of 'git gud.'

If you somehow up your game to the point where you are able to get your team to crush all opposition before you, you will go on a winning streak that will give you one level per game. Win streak rank boosts like that will last up until the mid 70s, so it is entirely possible to get to 65 within the next seven days from the high 30s even without poop socking.

The realistic answer is closer to no, because it is likely that you're in the 30s-40s because you have bad tactical habits and/or poor mechanical skills in game that prevent you from doing rank climbing like that. Breaking habits and improving mechanical skills takes more than a week, so try and shoot for 50 for now, but if you really want to improve start the process now so that you'll be ready to apply your better skill set by the time season two rolls around.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Commoners posted:

The generic answer is 'git gud.'

If you somehow up your game to the point where you are able to get your team to crush all opposition before you, you will go on a winning streak that will give you one level per game. Win streak rank boosts like that will last up until the mid 70s, so it is entirely possible to get to 65 within the next seven days from the high 30s even without poop socking.

The realistic answer is closer to no, because it is likely that you're in the 30s-40s because you have bad tactical habits and/or poor mechanical skills in game that prevent you from doing rank climbing like that. Breaking habits and improving mechanical skills takes more than a week, so try and shoot for 50 for now, but if you really want to improve start the process now so that you'll be ready to apply your better skill set by the time season two rolls around.

I only play solo. I was at 48 twice but due to the game forcing losing streaks it's dropped low.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Commoners posted:

The short and fantastical answer is yes through the powers of 'git gud.'

well thats me out with a KD ratio of 0.6 but then this is what happens when you play mercy all the time (and lucio) the last comp game i was in as mercy i didnt see another member of the team all match. and no i did not just sit in the spawn... Pubbies as single player really sucks as all the others do not want to play in a group, when i play comp with my friends (who won't any more as i pull them down apparently) we nearly always win, but when solo its 99% lose.

so i went down from 38 to 29 now and no way to get back up.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Golem II posted:

I only play solo. I was at 48 twice but due to the game forcing losing streaks it's dropped low.

The game doesn't force losing streaks. You and your team's decisions and performance in game are the determinant factors of if you win or lose. If you are consistently improving your game knowledge and character skills, you should have a clear edge against your opponents and will win most of your matches. If you aren't learning something from every game to improve yourself you will stagnate and not advance.

TheresaJayne posted:

well thats me out with a KD ratio of 0.6 but then this is what happens when you play mercy all the time (and lucio) the last comp game i was in as mercy i didnt see another member of the team all match. and no i did not just sit in the spawn... Pubbies as single player really sucks as all the others do not want to play in a group, when i play comp with my friends (who won't any more as i pull them down apparently) we nearly always win, but when solo its 99% lose.

so i went down from 38 to 29 now and no way to get back up.

If your group was winning all of the time and you are losing all of the time as a solo player, it means that the rest of the group outstripped you in skill and carried you into a higher bracket. The way to get back up is improving.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 11, 2016

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

No cause I keep getting stuck with people who play Ana, Bastion on offense or don't know what they are doing. I got up to 38 and I'm back down to 37 cause i get bad teams.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Golem II posted:

No cause I keep getting stuck with people who play Ana, Bastion on offense or don't know what they are doing. I got up to 38 and I'm back down to 37 cause i get bad teams.

Those people exist at all ranks. They still happen in 70+ games, and still will be the ones that end up sinking your effort. Sometimes exceptionally bad matches happen that will hold you back from advancing and there is nothing you can do about those.

Getting bad teams is not the thing holding you in the lower ranks. It slows down your climb out of those ranks, sure, but it isn't some impassable obstacle that keeps YOU from getting better at the game.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Commoners posted:

Those people exist at all ranks. They still happen in 70+ games, and still will be the ones that end up sinking your effort. Sometimes exceptionally bad matches happen that will hold you back from advancing and there is nothing you can do about those.

Getting bad teams is not the thing holding you in the lower ranks. It slows down your climb out of those ranks, sure, but it isn't some impassable obstacle that keeps YOU from getting better at the game.

I do well, I've carried teams. I think it's just cause I play solo all the time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Golem II posted:

You figured out the secret. The matchmaker knows exactly who the shitters are, and makes sure they're always on your team, and that your opponents never have to deal with players like that.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Golem II posted:

As someone who went from 44 to 64 doing solo queue as Torbjorn, I don't believe for a second in "forced losing" or the game going out of its way to match you with bads. If I can get as far as I've got, anyone can. I'm not that good.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think I need to add offensive recon mode bastion to my "welp, we're loving losing anyway, but hey it's quickplay" options for poo poo like when I kill Genji as Mercy.

It takes a lot to put a team into a situation where the Mercy has to handle Genji duty - ignored callouts, ignored footsteps, ignored japanese utterances, ignored whistling throwing star noises, ignored sword noises, a refusal to glance at the flanking routes, etc - but it doesn't have to be a letdown if you're willing to lean into the failure cascade and join the other 5 in giving zero fucks and negative effort.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
3 comp games in a row where we win a round and then one from our team leaves. Managed to win one of those because the other team sucked so hard.

Blizzard seriously needs to crack down on leavers. 3 strikes and you're out for the rest of the season and if the season has gone past halfway point, for the whole next season as well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Laputanmachine posted:

3 comp games in a row where we win a round and then one from our team leaves. Managed to win one of those because the other team sucked so hard.

Blizzard seriously needs to crack down on leavers. 3 strikes and you're out for the rest of the season and if the season has gone past halfway point, for the whole next season as well.

That's far too harsh considering people play hundreds of comp games in a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Andrast posted:

That's far too harsh considering people play hundreds of comp games in a season.

I think it'd be reasonable if it had the current thing of finishing five games in a row puts you back at a 0 count for strikes.