Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

rscott posted:

#notallbmwdrivers

#allblazerdrivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This argument is ironic right? No one is seriously saying the tobacco companies got overly punished

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FAUXTON posted:

#allblazerdrivers

I was gonna say #alldodgedrivers after today, personally

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sometimes traditional industries just need to be crushed and obliterated and the tobacco business is one of them. Once they are dead and buried maybe people can grow tobacco in their backyards for personal use if they really want to.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

bowser posted:

Purely hypothetical scenario: Trump dies in his sleep, purely from natural causes. do you think a lot of his supporters would accuse Hillary/Obama? I can't help but think that would get really ugly.

Does the guy actually sleep? I thought he crazy tweeted at all crazy hours.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does the guy actually sleep? I thought he crazy tweeted at all crazy hours.

Well okay, he just dies of natural causes mid tweet. What would his dying words be?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Crabtree posted:

Well okay, he just dies of natural causes mid tweet. What would his dying words be?

"Ivanka, pull up my pants before you call them"

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you

Crabtree posted:

"i told u i was hardcore"

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Crabtree posted:

SAD!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Many people are saying I die the best

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

"Hillary"

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Stereotype posted:

I know it's a weird opinion, but yeah tobacco got politically railroaded hard without a ton of evidence that it is worse than equally common things like living next to a highway.

Having worked on the actuarial and underwriting side at a life insurance company, seeing someone argue that smoking isn't all that bad for you is pretty funny.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Remember when The Flintstones advertised the glamour of living next to a highway, and how all of the coolest kids live next to highways? Man the 20th century sure was weird

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

QuarkJets posted:

Remember when The Flintstones advertised the glamour of living next to a highway, and how all of the coolest kids live next to highways? Man the 20th century sure was weird

Remember when Fred told us how Wintsons taste like how a cigarette should? Full of carcinogens? Man, the 20th was just a century of bad ideas.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Doccers posted:

So Mussolini's militia was the Blackshirts, Hitler's militia was the Brownshirts, will Trumps militia be the Redshirts?

(Star trek reference ahoy)

This was a while ago, but... Red Hats, of course.

"I remember the days before the Red Hats came..."

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.

Crabtree posted:

*zoom in real close on his disgusting mouth*
"rosebutt"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Next y'all gonna argue lead based paints?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Crabtree posted:

"I'm going to have a heart attack, it'll be great. Such beauty, the heart. My attack will be yooge. Best there is."

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ideally he'd make another brag about how great his health is.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

By literally rules lawyering on the fact that Congress didn't explicitly say "barriers to public or private infrastructure investment" the 6th Circuit claimed that the statement was unclear enough to justify declaring the laws presumably valid.

That said, the controlling precedent from 2004, Nixon v. Missouri Municipal League, isn't getting overturned (8-1 with only Stevens dissenting), so I wouldn't hold my breath for a good outcome.

Thanks for bringing this up. It seemed like far and away the shakiest part of the majority's opinion when I read through as EwokEntourage requested. It reads like something a child might try: "Go clean your room" "You didn't specify whether I had to clean my desk and/or the floor, so technically by cleaning my desk I did what you asked".

If appealed to the Supreme Court, I have to imagine that this is what the arguments will focus on, because it seemed pulled out of the air for the sole purpose of ruling in favor of the telcos.

I suppose this is what Antonin Scalia must have felt like when reading the opinions that progressively legalized same-sex marriage.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

DemeaninDemon posted:

Next y'all gonna argue lead based paints?

Asbestos, what's a little cancer versus maybe not dying in a fire?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Remember when Fred told us how Wintsons taste like how a cigarette should? Full of carcinogens? Man, the 20th was just a century of bad ideas.

Way to explain the joke

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mandatory lesbian posted:

whoa wait how do i get medical cocaine

I had some after I had nasal surgery

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Hillary Clinton’s completely unfounded claim that Russia was behind the passing to WikiLeaks of Democratic National Committee documents was breathtakingly cynical. It was a successful ploy in that it gave her supporters, particularly those dominating mainstream media, something else to focus on other than the fact that the DNC had been busily fixing the primaries for Hillary.

It was however grossly irresponsible – an accusation that a US Secretary of State would hesitate to make in public even at the height of the Cold War. It raises further the tensions between the World’s two largest nuclear armed powers, and plays into the mood of rampant Russophobia which we are seeing whipped up daily in the press. With the Ukraine and Syria as points of major tension, to throw such an accusation wildly in defence of her own political ambitions, shows precisely why Hillary should never be US President.

This is all the more true as not only did Hillary have no evidence of Russian involvement, she almost certainly knows the allegation is completely baseless.

Which brings me to the curious murder of Seth Rich, the DNC staffer killed by an armed street robber who left Rich’s gun, watch, cash and wallet. WikiLeaks have offered an award of US $20,000 for information on his assassination. This does not indicate that it was Rich who leaked the emails. It does indicate that WikiLeaks are aware of profound shenanigans involving the Hillary campaign, and are putting effort and resources into piecing together the picture.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cardboard Box A posted:

Hillary Clinton’s completely unfounded claim that Russia was behind the passing to WikiLeaks of Democratic National Committee documents was breathtakingly cynical. It was a successful ploy in that it gave her supporters, particularly those dominating mainstream media, something else to focus on other than the fact that the DNC had been busily fixing the primaries for Hillary.

It was however grossly irresponsible – an accusation that a US Secretary of State would hesitate to make in public even at the height of the Cold War. It raises further the tensions between the World’s two largest nuclear armed powers, and plays into the mood of rampant Russophobia which we are seeing whipped up daily in the press. With the Ukraine and Syria as points of major tension, to throw such an accusation wildly in defence of her own political ambitions, shows precisely why Hillary should never be US President.

This is all the more true as not only did Hillary have no evidence of Russian involvement, she almost certainly knows the allegation is completely baseless.

Which brings me to the curious murder of Seth Rich, the DNC staffer killed by an armed street robber who left Rich’s gun, watch, cash and wallet. WikiLeaks have offered an award of US $20,000 for information on his assassination. This does not indicate that it was Rich who leaked the emails. It does indicate that WikiLeaks are aware of profound shenanigans involving the Hillary campaign, and are putting effort and resources into piecing together the picture.

So is this a direct quote from a right wing blog or what?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

im the russophile conspiracy theorist that calls a sovereign country "the ukraine."

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Way to explain the joke

It's good that he did. Some posters here are pretty young.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm just arguing for laughs but The Cato Institute actually has an article about how cigarettes aren't really that bad for you

Any actual libertarians basically have to argue that tobacco industries were punished unjustly and that warning labels and extra taxes on cigarettes and non-smoking areas are an enormous government overreach.

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 11, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is also Mike Pence's opinion.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"Mr Pence, it's a proven fact that smoking is a million times more likely to kill me than terrorism, are you saying that since the levels of risk associated with smoking are neglibile, that the war on terror is a waste of money and time?"

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I heartily encourage all libertarians to smoke, heavily...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Roflan posted:

I heartily encourage all libertarians to smoke, heavily...

Libertarians vape yo. Never fear tho because they inevitably jam 30 gigawatt elements in their pens so that the vape juice gets cooked into sarin gas

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Libertarians vape yo. Never fear tho because they inevitably jam 30 gigawatt elements in their pens so that the vape juice gets cooked into sarin gas

Insha'allah

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

#allblazerdrivers

I think this checks out

Also while we're on the name for the Trump fascists I'm partial to bronyshirt myself

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

You do understand our entire way of life and society is based around cars? So comparing them to your cigarettes is a lovely metaphor.

It's an apt comparison if your life revolves around drugs, perhaps someone unironically advocating for "all drugs should be legal" might have an agenda there.

On cigarettes, I'm not sure why it's so hard to understand that inhaling poison is somehow bad for you, but for some reason(bribery) some government officials just won't let it go.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

Hillary Clinton’s completely unfounded claim that Russia was behind the passing to WikiLeaks of Democratic National Committee documents was breathtakingly cynical...

Source your quotes. Which one of washingtonsblog, beforeitsnews, theflippintruth, or therussophile did you scrape this from?

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Considering the Cato Institute has also lobbied to re-legalize child labor, the tobacco shilling isn't even the worst thing they've done.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pence is dumb enough to be a true believer, so probably the kickbacks are just icing on the cake to him

It's a shame that Trump has been Trumping around nonstop lately because I was looking forward to some really shameful displays on the part of my dumb Governor. "Dopey VP of apologies" doesn't do justice to how bad the man is

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Pence is dumb enough to be a true believer, so probably the kickbacks are just icing on the cake to him

It's a shame that Trump has been Trumping around nonstop lately because I was looking forward to some really shameful displays on the part of my dumb Governor. "Dopey VP of apologies" doesn't do justice to how bad the man is

Well whenever he's had a chance to come up for air he's been completely loving terrible, so at least there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
This is art:
https://twitter.com/mic/status/763699896218185728

• Locked thread