Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Well the talents I don't know but the whole Hope and Despair thing probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Death to normies

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

how the gently caress is the Future Foundation filled with so many crazy, petty assholes. Anyone who isn't that either barely gets screentime, or is immediately killed off once they do.

I don't really give any poo poo about the Future Foundation at this point. Just let it burn to the ground.

Hope's Peak was not a very good place, being a weird meritocracy of hyper-specialized people who were generally good at one thing only. The school then proceeded to not teach them how to deal with their lives and just let them run wild as long as they were furthering their talent somehow. And then came The Junkos.

The current FF loser crew, DR1 folks aside, are just a bunch of talented broken people who really need adult supervision to function and oops their adult supervision is dying off real quick.

alcharagia posted:

gently caress the entire hope's peak academy storyline, end it all, salt it to the ground, let's get new danganronpa v3 in here now yeuh!

I kinda agree that the continuity has gotten bloated but I still really like Naegi & co still and want to know how that whole deal ends. Which I guess is the whole point of the anime really. Was a good idea to reboot things with V3 though. Bring on Metal Gear Rising: Ahoge.

EDIT: also if anyone's surprised/upset that all the best characters are dying horribly then i'd like to welcome you to dangan ronpa, where everyone good dies and we get unreasonably attached to the remainder.

EDIT2: As far as dumb speculation goes, mine is that nobody's the "traitor", instead when everyone's KOed one person is given orders to kill someone or they themselves die, Gozu tried to get around this by faking Asahina's death but got caught/punished for it. Of course this means that the mastermind could kill everyone at any time and is instead making them murder each-other for shits, but that's basically Monokuma's M.O.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 10, 2016

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I dunno if someone said this earlier, but I'm guessing Tengan said "Chisa Yukizome." Kyosuke then got butthurt that someone trashed his waifu, so he then dealt the proper punishment.

As for why Chisa might have become a despair, she said it herself: "Hope's Peak is going down the wrong path." Being moved away from her precious students certainly isn't helping matters either.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Yinlock posted:

EDIT2: As far as dumb speculation goes, mine is that nobody's the "traitor", instead when everyone's KOed one person is given orders to kill someone or they themselves die, Gozu tried to get around this by faking Asahina's death but got caught/punished for it. Of course this means that the mastermind could kill everyone at any time and is instead making them murder each-other for shits, but that's basically Monokuma's M.O.

Well normally Monokuma(or the person behind him) has a reason to not kill the people himself, in the first game was because he wanted to show the whole world the whole students of hope killing eachother and in the second game he couldn't delete rules that Usami made and one of then was that the teacher couldn't touch the students unless they broke a rule and since Junko wanted to have bodies to take over she made then kill eacher other again (one thing about that is also why the motives in that game were so unfair unlike the first game)

So I guess there's a reason why the attacker(or attackers) just can't kill everyone at once.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Namtab posted:

Death to normies

Namtab are you enjoying Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

IceBorg posted:

Well normally Monokuma(or the person behind him) has a reason to not kill the people himself, in the first game was because he wanted to show the whole world the whole students of hope killing eachother and in the second game he couldn't delete rules that Usami made and one of then was that the teacher couldn't touch the students unless they broke a rule and since Junko wanted to have bodies to take over she made then kill eacher other again (one thing about that is also why the motives in that game were so unfair unlike the first game)

So I guess there's a reason why the attacker(or attackers) just can't kill everyone at once.

Monokuma said it's being broadcast, so I figure it's a similar motive to DR1 since it was stated early on that Despair, while still loving things up worldwide, is actually declining since Junko(dead twice) and Ultimate Despair(suicided/put in the Matrix and made sane/comatose) aren't around to pour gasoline on everything.

I mean in terms of showing the FF's higher echelons to be insane fuckups it's a resounding success, but there's still the matter of that slightly optimistic brown-haired kid who seems to think that "immediately go nuts" isn't a good idea.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I like the theory that "It's being broadcast" means that the animator has trapped them all in an episodic anime where he is the mastermind.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
there aren't even any cameras, how are they being broadcasted?

Everyone basically ignored that point except for one comment from Ryota.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Yinlock posted:

Seems more likely that Monaca faked Asahina's death and then killed Gozu just to gently caress with Naegi.
Monokuma's very consistent with only killing people when they break the rules and there is no rule against faking a murder.

Anyways, assuming we have a random Attacker every "night phase" and they're told to kill someone or die, then the Win Condition for the good guys is impoosible because you wind up with a dead body either way. So, there is probably some other incentive (or Motive to borrow from DR1's terminology) to force the Attacker into murdering someone else.

If that's not the case, then entire game setup could be a sham where the intent was for everyone to die, but that seems very unlikely.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Belgian Waffle posted:

Seems more likely that Monaca faked Asahina's death and then killed Gozu just to gently caress with Naegi.
Monokuma's very consistent with only killing people when they break the rules and there is no rule against faking a murder.

Anyways, assuming we have a random Attacker every "night phase" and they're told to kill someone or die, then the Win Condition for the good guys is impoosible because you wind up with a dead body either way. So, there is probably some other incentive (or Motive to borrow from DR1's terminology) to force the Attacker into murdering someone else.

If that's not the case, then entire game setup could be a sham where the intent was for everyone to die, but that seems very unlikely.

Gozu dying for framing a crime scene still works with my theory since he didn't kill anyone and therefore got murdered. Also "no win condition" is basically Monokuma's M.O. He just wants kids to murder each-other, it's rather counter-productive if they have any way out of that. That's why Naegi calls him out so much when he tries to shrug off blame.

I mean I fully expect to be proven wrong but I'll stick to my dumb theory for now.

EDIT: shortened wall-of-text

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 11, 2016

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012

Yinlock posted:

Also "no win condition" is basically Monokuma's M.O. He just wants kids to murder each-other, it's rather counter-productive if they have any way out of that.

It depends who is controlling him. Junko explicitly made it so they could win originally because she wanted to prove despair trumps hope. I don't think Monaca really cares about anything except worshipping Junko so she probably would build a no win situation game but I'm with the majority if posters that Monaca didn't create this game she's just there to cause trouble.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I think that's one of the big reasons the sequels don't work as well to me. The original Monokuma wanted to prove that even with all their needs met, people will still kill each other. The later games just had him want the kids to kill each other no matter what, with the Strawberry House being the worst case of it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Kay Kessler posted:

I think that's one of the big reasons the sequels don't work as well to me. The original Monokuma wanted to prove that even with all their needs met, people will still kill each other. The later games just had him want the kids to kill each other no matter what, with the Strawberry House being the worst case of it.

Junko was just as desperate to have her classmates kill each other, and tried to manipulate the game several times - by killing her sister, then bribing Oogami to murder someone if no one else does it on their own accord, and finally by running a false school trial in order to frame and kill someone innocent who got in her way.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I guess the difference is that in the first game Junko's interference is not as blatant until you come to those conclusions late in the game. In DR2, even as you play through Chapter 3 and 4 for the first time it's somewhat obvious how much Monokuma is interfering with the whole killing game.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

FPzero posted:

I guess the difference is that in the first game Junko's interference is not as blatant until you come to those conclusions late in the game. In DR2, even as you play through Chapter 3 and 4 for the first time it's somewhat obvious how much Monokuma is interfering with the whole killing game.

Yeah. In the first game, at least, Junko seems content to follow the rules as long as it's convenient for her. It's only when things don't go to plan that she cheats.

For instance, having Sakura as the traitor was insurance just in case no one fell for the motive and none of the students ended up killing each other. And everything that happened in Chapter 5 was because Junko was losing control of the game and got desperate. The remaining students had agreed not to play along with Monokuma anymore, and Kyoko had broken into the headmaster's office and taken the Monokey, and was on the verge of blowing everything wide open.

I'm guessing Junko's original plan was to kill Makoto and make it look like only the person with the Monokey could have done it, but Kyoko foiled that plan too. The plan to make it look like "Mukuro" was killed might have been a backup plan.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Did Jin not know Mukuro/Junko were Ultimate Despair?

Because if so I was wondering why allowed them to keep attending, but I guess he seems like he only gives a poo poo about ~talent~ from the anime so I dunno.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

voltcatfish posted:

Because if so I was wondering why allowed them to keep attending, but I guess he seems like he only gives a poo poo about ~talent~ from the anime so I dunno.

From what I know of DR Zero, it might have been partially this, and partially...

DR Zero spoilers: Junko gave herself an alibi by assuming the "Ryoko Otonashi" persona. I'm guessing that made it look like she wasn't involved, and that the true ringleaders behind Despair were Izuru and Matsuda. I think that's why no one suspected Junko until it was too late.

Maybe someone who's actually read the whole thing can elaborate further.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As if Jin would let students with despair that great elude the grasp of Hope's Peak. He probably just gave them a suspension.

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah, Junko was never above cheating. She probably felt more free to interfere in the second game because no one was watching besides the future foundation guys and even if they were she had nothing to prove by corrupting them because she already done so once before .

voltcatfish posted:

No one knew, she never did much of her own dirty work IIRC. Making other people kill each other has always been her M.O

Ampuli
Nov 23, 2013
Junkos sort of a jerk

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

He obviously didn't, or he wouldn't have let them both stay with the rest of the class when he locked them inside the old school building after the Incident.

Zero leaves a lot of important things vague, though, and I suspect we'll get a more elaborate version of the events leading to it (especially the first mutual-killing game involving Izuru) in the Despair episodes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ah right. I remembered his report, he just had a hunch Mukuro -may- have been an Ultimate Despair. That was it, I think.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Can't wait until it's revealed that Jin knows that Kuzuryuu or Peko killed Sato but he just made then write a assigment about "Why killing a person is wrong" because their talent is important to the world and no one cares about reserve students. :colbert:

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Slokir posted:

She probably felt more free to interfere in the second game because no one was watching besides the future foundation guys and even if they were she had nothing to prove by corrupting them because she already done so once before .
Frankly, I'm chalking that up to the writing simply not being as good as in the first game. The murder mysteries in general did not seem as well thought out with Chapters 4 and 5 being particularly egregious.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Belgian Waffle posted:

The murder mysteries in general did not seem as well thought out with Chapter 5 being particularly egregious.

wow, what an epically bad opinion

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

orenronen posted:

Junko was just as desperate to have her classmates kill each other, and tried to manipulate the game several times - by killing her sister, then bribing Oogami to murder someone if no one else does it on their own accord, and finally by running a false school trial in order to frame and kill someone innocent who got in her way.

Rethinking it, it's not so much her interfering I didn't like as much as it is Chapter 4 of 2 being the first time someone was forced to kill. Even with Sakura, it was always her choice to either kill or live with the consequences of not doing it, the same as the other motives. With chapter 4 it was just "either 1 person dies or everyone dies." Especially since the scenario would have made the murderer a martyr to the survivors.

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012
I have to agree that the fun house court section felt werid and out of place because of the forced murder.

Any faults the second game had though are outweighed by the strengths if it's characters and their hijinks .

And by characters I mean Komeada.

IceBorg posted:

Can't wait until it's revealed that Jin knows that Kuzuryuu or Peko killed Sato but he just made then write a assigment about "Why killing a person is wrong" because their talent is important to the world and no one cares about reserve students. :colbert:

To be fair, it wouldn't be that far out of character. This is the same school board that emotionally manipulated a teenager into having radical brain surgery because Hope.

Hardly the most sane people around.

Wasn't there a SHSL Assassin in DR Zero as well, not to mention Muroko. Since you have to do a test on your talent to not get kicked out I wonder what tests those two got. Assassinate some reserve students.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Slokir posted:

Yeah, Junko was never above cheating. She probably felt more free to interfere in the second game because no one was watching besides the future foundation guys and even if they were she had nothing to prove by corrupting them because she already done so once before.

She had a different goal in the second game. In the first, it didn't matter how many people were still alive at the end as long as some had been killed.

In the second, she needed less than 8 people alive to prevent the forced shutdown. That's why she trapped them in the funhouse - she needed two more people dead, and none of them seemed likely to kill anymore aside from Nagito, and the group had already been willing to tie him up once, so they could again.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

really it's chapter 3 I have a problem with

magical despair disease that just so happens to unlock one person's crazy and causes them to murder. And then the murders felt so halfassed...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Namtab are you enjoying Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy?

Normies must burn

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

orenronen posted:

Don't forget the whole "Erase 2 years of friendship" thing. The big fatal flaw in Junko's whole philosophy is that she had to heavily rig the game to get the students to start killing each-other(and there was only all of 1 premeditated one not counting Mukuro), and Naegi/Kirigiri kept hammering on this point on live TV until she had no choice but to actually give them a fair shot or admit that Despair is kind of hosed-up and dumb.

Man I always forget how ridiculously good DR1 is.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

alcharagia posted:

wow, what an epically bad opinion
Nagito shenanigans aside, it was poop. Sorry man.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Belgian Waffle posted:

Nagito shenanigans aside, it was poop. Sorry man.
Nah it was good.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Overall I thought DR2 was weaker than DR1, but the last two and a half-ish chapters....basically from Nagito's sudden perspective onward is where things start getting real good. You may not like where it goes, or how it gets there, but the last quarter/fifth of DR2 is a loving ride.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I enjoyed Chapter 5 of DR2 and the first two chapters are otherwise alright, but Chapter 3 and 4 both suck rear end and the final chapter is just a mess of constant stupid poo poo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

IceBorg posted:

Considering that Kyouko is the SHSL Detective, one has to wonder why he let their relationship sour so much given that he seems to be all about keeping talent so close.

Then again, I barely remember what caused them to have a falling out in the first place.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm one of the few that really enjoyed the last chapter of DR2 it seems. Hajime learns to accept himself and it's a wonderful thing to end on.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Im so glad they kept Junko funny. I hope she stays that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

COBRARocky posted:

Im so glad they kept Junko funny. I hope she stays that way.

Agreed.

"Ah, my little sister is trying to murder me again. How adorable."

• Locked thread