Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
hmm okay i see them now and that lovely :reddit: site, like everything that den of childfuckers produces, was terrible and completely useless. all the dogs their site told me were like 10-20% ivs were actually 60-70, gg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait what?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Eyochigan posted:

I noticed something with pokemon CP today, I met up with some friends who were level 24 and 25 (I'm level 24) and found that the level 24 guy and I were catching the exact same CP, exact same weight, height mons, even getting the XL/XS the same. Level 25 guy would get stuff either higher or lower, and had plenty of anecdotes of lower level people getting comparatively amazing stuff.

Has anyone else noticed matching pokemon between two different trainers of the same level? Is this information useful for anything?

edit: Caught a wild 210 squirtle today with 15/15/0 sta. In lieu of the 0atk low pokedex glitch.

Yea my group of buds notice this is constant. The pair of 17s find the same things, as do the 24s, etc. Everyone sees the same species, but the stats/moves are deff based on Player level. Of course, higher players tend to get higher CP mons, but not exclusively.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

wait what?

Reddit is bad, and also the IVs that silph road gives you are often very different from the ones pokeadvisor/nexus gives you.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Prop Wash posted:

Reddit is bad, and also the IVs that silph road gives you are often very different from the ones pokeadvisor/nexus gives you.

Only if you gently caress up the arc. Missing it by even half a level will swing you from like 15% iv to 85%.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Prop Wash posted:

As long as pogobag.me is still ok.

I never took TSR's calculator too seriously unless I knew for certain what stardust level it was. And even then, 27/30 or higher is all I'm looking for with it. It's still useful for that when other resources are offline, right? Or is it fundamentally flawed in another sense?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Ezzer posted:

I just tried that app out

Apparently I have the God-King Magikarp. Only 330 candies to go!

Horrible evolution night for me. My new Gyrados has Twister, and my new Machamp also has the worst moveset. Welp...

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
Aaaand the spoofers have entered my town. There's a little triangle of 3 gyms right next to my house, each about 5 minutes walking from the others. I always make a habit of claiming them on my way home from work since it's 1am and I have no competition in my suburb at that hour, but lately they're getting reclaimed before I can even walk to the next stop. I didn't really take note of it because there's neighborhoods so there's definitely gotta be a couple people out doing the same thing, right? I didn't catch on until I had a spoofer on my own team start assisting me in battles when there's definitely no one in range of that gym.

Then I started paying attention to the gyms as they got reclaimed by the other teams. It was always the same names, claiming the gyms at the same time each night within seconds of each other. I've been reporting them for a little over a week now but they're still there every night, stocking my local gyms with the usual 3k cp monsters we've all come to expect. Hell, a few of them are running multiple accounts and just building up gyms on their own. I'm gonna keep reporting them until I stop seeing them, but from what I hear Niantic won't do anything unless they're blatantly teleporting across the country.

It's REALLY killing my desire to play the game on a whole. I've reached the level 20 stretch of the game and my pokedex is pretty filled barring some rare mons I could find in a day trip to Santa Monica. So now I'm left with gym battles which are fun in their own novel way of claiming turf in your hometown but what's the point if some rear end in a top hat can paint the town red (or blue, or yellow) in a matter of minutes in his underwear.

We've all heard this complaint a nigh infinite number of times, but realistically what can Niantic do to combat spoofers? Only the really blatant ones seem to be getting the ban hammer. I know it's only ever going to be anecdotal at best, but I've watched as my local gyms and stops become empty due to the spoofers. No one is bothering to hang out at lured spots or even physically walk to a gym. It's just spoofers playing the latest MMO from their desktops. It really undermines the entire game.

</rant>

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

Augmented Reality owns

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

2MB posted:

We've all heard this complaint a nigh infinite number of times, but realistically what can Niantic do to combat spoofers? Only the really blatant ones seem to be getting the ban hammer. I know it's only ever going to be anecdotal at best, but I've watched as my local gyms and stops become empty due to the spoofers. No one is bothering to hang out at lured spots or even physically walk to a gym. It's just spoofers playing the latest MMO from their desktops. It really undermines the entire game.
</rant>

https://twitter.com/johnhanke/status/761358072224755712

Soon™

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Is this like Pokeadvisor? What are the possible side effects of using this?

Niantic can probably detect if you connect to the game through a third-party site and scrape data related to your account, and they probably can automatically flag you. So the developers probably know about you checking your IVs, technically.

Whether this means you, or anyone else using an IV checker, will be banned is up for debate. The consensus seems to be that they won't since, even though it's technically breaking the TOS, they'd be banning a huge amount of players (Pokéadvisor had just over 1.2 million entries at the time of its closure). I tend to agree, but it wouldn't be the first time Niantic did something unexpectedly crappy.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Probably just me, but my map scanner which worked flawlessly last night is not showing anything this morning, and there are plenty of pokes around me...

e: FWIW I'm using a throwaway google login to scan.

e: It's working now that I'm at work and using a different computer. Odd.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 11, 2016

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

It's been a week get off your rear end Hanky

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Zo posted:

Only if you gently caress up the arc. Missing it by even half a level will swing you from like 15% iv to 85%.

Even if you get the arc right you could still be looking at an error of 10-15%. I posted some examples earlier and those were just the first few numbers I plugged in. You don't have to look very hard to see something is wrong with the SR calculator. You do tend to only get the like "18% or 80%" when you're getting results over two different levels though, yeah.

Eyochigan posted:

I noticed something with pokemon CP today, I met up with some friends who were level 24 and 25 (I'm level 24) and found that the level 24 guy and I were catching the exact same CP, exact same weight, height mons, even getting the XL/XS the same. Level 25 guy would get stuff either higher or lower, and had plenty of anecdotes of lower level people getting comparatively amazing stuff.

Has anyone else noticed matching pokemon between two different trainers of the same level? Is this information useful for anything?

edit: Caught a wild 210 squirtle today with 15/15/0 sta. In lieu of the 0atk low pokedex glitch.

Two people will catch the exact same Pokemon. This includes weight, height, moves, IVs. The only thing that changes is the starting level based on your trainer level. And since two people with the same trainer level will get pokemon with the same starting level as well, it might be a random number using trainer level as the seed or something.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 11, 2016

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Noon GMT +1.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The newish sighting thing works decently. Was able to catch a squirtle by honing in on it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Man, why isn't the IV spreadsheet giving results for this Pinsir? Let me give The Silph Road a try...

Edit: moveset is Fury Cutter (bug) and Submission (fighting). Also it came from a spot nearby that spawns a Pinsir a couple times every day, so at least it's not from an egg.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 11, 2016

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Man, I evolved a Nidoqueen after FINALLY saving up enough candies (hatched like three Nid females in a row prior). It got Poison Jab Stone Edge and I was 100% convinced that was the optimal move set so I stuffed like 30k dust into it before realizing Earthquake was better with the stab bonus :negative:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
eh, at least it's only 30k. you'll recover that in a few days or so. It could have been a LOT more.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Eh stone edge has the giant crit chance and will do better against things like gyarados and dragonite even without STAB. I'd be happy enough with it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I got a 100% perfect Bulbasaur. Now I just need a poo poo ton of candy. It is even at a pretty high CP to start. My other 100% is a low level eevee so it goes to the candy grinder.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mierenneuker posted:

Man, why isn't the IV spreadsheet giving results for this Pinsir? Let me give The Silph Road a try...

The good news is that Silph Road is completely inaccurate even if you get the input right. It's also sassily pretentious because it was made by mouthbreathing predditors. The bad news is, if the other options don't work for you, then you're sol. Use http://www.pgnexus.gg if you can.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Colonel Squish posted:

Man, I evolved a Nidoqueen after FINALLY saving up enough candies (hatched like three Nid females in a row prior). It got Poison Jab Stone Edge and I was 100% convinced that was the optimal move set so I stuffed like 30k dust into it before realizing Earthquake was better with the stab bonus :negative:

It's a 0.72 DPS difference. Put the gun down and step away from the edge.

Plus it will hit Dragonites harder.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I stick to the spreadsheet normally, this was the very first case where it just shrugged it's shoulders and gave me nothing.

As for the SR IV tool: there was only one possible level + power-up combination. I had to put the sliders for both HP and CP all the way to the left, to their minimum. I know how you can mess up the result with that IV tool, but I'm pretty sure they are spot on with this piece of poo poo.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 11, 2016

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Licarn posted:

It's a 0.72 DPS difference. Put the gun down and step away from the edge.

Plus it will hit Dragonites harder.

That's .72 DPS I'll be having nightmares about not having for the rest of my days.

When fights last like 20 seconds and shits only have like 100 hp to begin with that seems p significant

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mierenneuker posted:

As for the SR IV tool: there was only one possible level + power-up combination. I had to put the sliders for both HP and CP all the way to the left, to their minimum. I know how you can mess up the result with that IV tool, but I'm pretty sure they are spot on with this piece of poo poo.

Yeah no they aren't spot on at loving all. Like I said, my 50-70% eeveelutions were listed as 10-20s and my friend and I both triple-checked my sliders. My first Snorlax is like 66% and they listed it as a straight 0%. It's really worse than terrible and completely unusable.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

kuroiXiru posted:

Niantic can probably detect if you connect to the game through a third-party site and scrape data related to your account, and they probably can automatically flag you. So the developers probably know about you checking your IVs, technically.

Whether this means you, or anyone else using an IV checker, will be banned is up for debate. The consensus seems to be that they won't since, even though it's technically breaking the TOS, they'd be banning a huge amount of players (Pokéadvisor had just over 1.2 million entries at the time of its closure). I tend to agree, but it wouldn't be the first time Niantic did something unexpectedly crappy.

The only OK cheating is my cheating.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

poemdexter posted:

The only OK cheating is my cheating.

It's more the sheer number of players than whether it violates the TOS

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

Edit: moveset is Fury Cutter (bug) and Submission (fighting). Also it came from a spot nearby that spawns a Pinsir a couple times every day, so at least it's not from an egg.

I checked with a couple other tools and yeah that's definitely a 0/0/0. Odd that the spreadsheet couldn't calculate it though. But hey you should keep it, it's as rare as a 15/15/15! Well, even rarer if the attack IV/pokemon # thing is real!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I got a 100% Charmander and a 97% Dratini. the Dratini I'm confident I'll eventually evolve, but in the month and change I've been playing this game and ~270 eggs, I've caught or hatched three (3) Charmanders. what bullshit.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

GeneX posted:

It's more the sheer number of players than whether it violates the TOS

"But mom, EVERYONE was doing it!"

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

poemdexter posted:

More like this represents 10% of our total player base, and likely the 10% that actually puts money into the game.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

poemdexter posted:

I believe the point he was making is that they may be hesitant to ban 1.2 million accounts (Ed: for reading data, if it was 1.2 million active bots they probably wouldn't be), not that 1.2 million people doing it changes the TOS. Stop being deliberately obtuse.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 11, 2016

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I imagine the people who give a gently caress about IVs are more likely to spend money on a lovely pokemon ARG. they have the numbers, and I'm sure they're not gonna deep six a profitable demographic just cause of some silly words in a TOS

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Especially considering that unlike the map scanners the only difference between a calculator and data scraper is convenience. It's not like it's giving an unfair advantage, it's just wasting less time.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is pokemon go down? Im in south florida ans cant ge on

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I just logged in and out from central Florida so I don't know what to tell you mang

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Waroduce posted:

Is pokemon go down? Im in south florida ans cant ge on

http://ispokemongodownornot.com/

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Colonel Squish posted:

Actually, let me blow your mind...

Ground moves are pretty lackluster, because they're good against types that aren't very popular. They also do reduced damage to flying and grass, two popular types.

Rock moves, on the other hand, are good against types that are popular, including flying. The "cooldown" (which is basically attack animation / casting speed) of Stone Edge is about 33% faster than Earthquake, so it's a harder skill to dodge and you recover quicker.

So rest easy, you're all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Coolguye posted:

What in the depths of hell makes you think this will do anything?

When I had the gym error thing (one fight away from making a level 9 stack!) over and over again I reinstalled, that fixed the error. ymmv

I would have burnt that church down if someone pokesniped it

• Locked thread