Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

Fyrbrand posted:

Nov. releases: conquest / viktor, siege crawler, Gibbs, Megalith resculpt, Nyss Warlord, Karax CA, Farrow brigands / commandos.

I'd rather see less re-sculpts and more models that have been in the books with no model for years now.

I painted my celestial fulcrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
That is an awesome looking Fulcrum.

I dunno what I think about the new book strategy PP has (described here). It sounds like there might be periods where one faction has got a bunch of rad new stuff and everyone else has to sort of hang on until their book drops however much later.

Presumably they'll work it out, but it sounds like a pretty difficult model to keep working smoothly.

e: I do think that not sticking to releases being strictly symmetrical is probably a good move. I'd rather they bring out models that are cool and well-conceived than worrying about 'well, Faction X needs a new colossal this time around too, sooooo'

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 11, 2016

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Nighttheii posted:

I'd rather see less re-sculpts and more models that have been in the books with no model for years now.

I painted my celestial fulcrum.

The whole thing is nice. The gems are especially purdy.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I liked the symmetrical release! I really hope we don't end up with something like warhammer fantasy where factions get to take turns being the best depending on whose book released most recently. Khador should always be the best IMO.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

evenworse username posted:

That is an awesome looking Fulcrum.

I dunno what I think about the new book strategy PP has (described here). It sounds like there might be periods where one faction has got a bunch of rad new stuff and everyone else has to sort of hang on until their book drops however much later.

Presumably they'll work it out, but it sounds like a pretty difficult model to keep working smoothly.

e: I do think that not sticking to releases being strictly symmetrical is probably a good move. I'd rather they bring out models that are cool and well-conceived than worrying about 'well, Faction X needs a new colossal this time around too, sooooo'

What you are talking about is the absolutely lovely release system that GW uses. I really don't want to watch PP go that route, it is a horrible system.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Khisanth Magus posted:

What you are talking about is the absolutely lovely release system that GW uses. I really don't want to watch PP go that route, it is a horrible system.
I agree.

I mean slippery slope and all, but the faction imbalances in terms of releases stems back to that GW policy just falling apart from there. Your faction is popular? Have more stuff til it becomes self-fulfilling!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

TBF it depends more on the model release schedule than the book release schedule. Can't use a Grolar if they haven't made one :v:

ShowTime posted:

We didn't get any this week and last I heard was late Sept.

Edit: For what its worth you should be able to find Hellmouth in stores starting this week.

Hellmouth, Ghetorix, Riflemen and Black 13th hit retail today. The two player boxes I believe are in two weeks.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

S.J. posted:

TBF it depends more on the model release schedule than the book release schedule. Can't use a Grolar if they haven't made one :v:

Hellmouth, Ghetorix, Riflemen and Black 13th hit retail today. The two player boxes I believe are in two weeks.

You haven't got any insider FLGS info on when we should expect reprints of existing models have you? I need another sunburst, I need it bad man. Real bad.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Feels like their new release schedule idea is a way to keep people from talking themselves out of purchasing decisions by being unable to compare new models. I.e I never bought a conquest until just before mk3 because someone was unloading it for super cheap, because I saw how it was compared to the Stormwall and thought it wasn't worth it.

By only seeing a factions new release in a vacuum, you're unable to gauge how good it actually is. A MoW battle engine may be amazing, but what if the next Menoth theme book completely nukes it on the table every time? Thats an expensive paper weight.

If they can't barely balance comparable models for each faction that were designed, tested and "released" concurrently, how well can they be expected to balance theme forces that are presumably designed on a staggered schedule? I really don't think they'll have every model in every theme book for a full cycle done and tested thoroughly for that to be feasible. I imagine releasing 2-3 models per faction concurrently would have been a far easier process for quality control, and any imbalances would have been on a smaller, model-to-model basis.

But I don't know poo poo about game design so take this with a massive honking grain of salt

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, I am not happy with a staggered schedule as a concept either, possibly just because GW fucks it up so badly. Presumably PP will do a little better than that, in that hopefully they won't let a faction go for 10+ years without any updates or new releases, but it still feels like a model that can be really swingy and unbalanced. I would be much happier with packaged releases that aren't necessarily entirely symmetrical. So for example, you release a book and everyone gets new stuff, but not necessarily the same stuff. Maybe one faction gets an additional caster, another gets some more solos, one gets jacks and another units - instead of worrying that you're giving everyone one caster, two units, a warjack, and a solo (or whatever) you just focus on giving each faction what they need to keep parity. Sometimes that might mean that a faction gets a little less than another, but only if the other faction has been hurting and needs a few extra tools. :shrug:

Edit: This would also let them pace releases with whatever is happening in the story, so you get a book that's something like 'Battle for the Thornwood' and has all the releases themed around that, or 'Siege of Corvis' with that as theme, etc.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Khisanth Magus posted:

When I got into this game, one of the big arguments the ex-Warham PG I talked to had was that PP doesn't use the codex system. I never played a GW game and he still stressed that point. Multiple times if I remember correctly. So, uh. This is strange to see. I thought/hoped that the theme force books would be like the Mk2 faction books. Just releases to collect all the updated rules in one place for each faction with some new models thrown in to make them at least kind of exciting.

This, though? With Minions and Mercs confirmed to get their own books and a new faction incoming, even if PP releases a book per month there's going to be a faction (read: CoC) not getting anything in a given year if this is the only release model.
I could see it make more sense if PP considers the original 4 factions of both Hordes and Warmachine relatively close to being finished and is considering expanding the game more by adding new factions than adding the 100th thing to the existing ones, which I think is the way to go. If they keep expanding and introducing factions at more or less the same rate as now, though, this system sucks.

Also, what is even going to be in those books? Can't be that much unless they just completely stop testing stuff before releasing it, which, "Three years of playtesting!" jokes aside, I kinda doubt.

Anyway, the most alarming thing here is that I can see the day where I give in and download War Room approaching fast.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Download war room, you bozo!!

Also yeah staggered releases suck game is dead let's play Age of Sigm-faaaaarrrrrrrtttt

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

albany academy posted:

Feels like their new release schedule idea is a way to keep people from talking themselves out of purchasing decisions by being unable to compare new models. I.e I never bought a conquest until just before mk3 because someone was unloading it for super cheap, because I saw how it was compared to the Stormwall and thought it wasn't worth it.

By only seeing a factions new release in a vacuum, you're unable to gauge how good it actually is. A MoW battle engine may be amazing, but what if the next Menoth theme book completely nukes it on the table every time? Thats an expensive paper weight.

If they can't barely balance comparable models for each faction that were designed, tested and "released" concurrently, how well can they be expected to balance theme forces that are presumably designed on a staggered schedule? I really don't think they'll have every model in every theme book for a full cycle done and tested thoroughly for that to be feasible. I imagine releasing 2-3 models per faction concurrently would have been a far easier process for quality control, and any imbalances would have been on a smaller, model-to-model basis.

But I don't know poo poo about game design so take this with a massive honking grain of salt

I feel like they already have this problem with live updates alongside their existing suspect game balance. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a behemoth right now if I was a Khador player. Same for the hellmouth as Legion. If something seems too good to be true, give it six months, it very well might be.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
So we are bitching about live game balance changing now too? We have been begging for it for 10 years and now we aren't buying models out of fear of it. What a wonderful time to be alive.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Screw balance. I just need the drat Hydra to come out so I can run a 4 huge base army and be :smug: aa hell.

War Room Army

Skorne - X2: Money In A Blender

Theme: No Theme Selected
75 / 75 Army

Xerxis, Fury of Halaak - WB: +29
- Desert Hydra - PC: 38 (Battlegroup Points Used: 29)
- Mammoth - PC: 38

Siege Animantarax - PC: 18

Paingiver Beast Handlers - Leader & 3 Grunts: 5
Paingiver Beast Handlers - Leader & 3 Grunts: 5

---

GENERATED : 08/11/2016 10:37:01
BUILD ID : 2023.16-07-31

Quickest 75 pt army to deploy ever.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

So we are bitching about live game balance changing now too? We have been begging for it for 10 years and now we aren't buying models out of fear of it. What a wonderful time to be alive.

Live game balance is good for the game if done well. It isn't necessarily good for one's wallet.

I dropped Cryx and Khador as factions because I needed to spend several hundred dollars on each to make a decent army in mk3 AND would probably need to keep spending several hundred dollars after every live update. It would be one thing if this was to adjust to a changing meta. I'd also be alright with things being nerfed to bring them in line with other models, but the transition to mk3 showed that PP is alright with completely changing how things function and a willingness to dumpster models.

The obvious solution is to drop down to one faction and not buy nearly as much. That is what I've done.

The issue isn 't so much live game balance as things as they stand not feeling very balanced within each faction. Hopefully in six months cool new sculpts comparable to the behemoth won't seem quite so overwhelmingly good. Hopefully there won't be models like satyxis gunslingers or carrion thralls that feel nearly required to play.

Until that time, though, I won't be expanding my collection.

Edit:

Unless they release more CoC.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 11, 2016

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Live game balance is good for the game if done well. It isn't necessarily good for one's wallet.

I dropped Cryx and Khador as factions because I needed to spend several hundred dollars on each to make a decent army in mk3 AND would probably need to keep spending several hundred dollars after every live update. It would be one thing if this was to adjust to a changing meta. I'd also be alright with things being nerfed to bring them in line with other models, but the transition to mk3 showed that PP is alright with completely changing how things function and a willingness to dumpster models.

The obvious solution is to drop down to one faction and not buy nearly as much. That is what I've done.

The issue isn 't so much live game balance as things as they stand not feeling very balanced within each faction. Hopefully in six months cool new sculpts comparable to the behemoth won't seem quite so overwhelmingly good. Hopefully there won't be models like satyxis gunslingers or carrion thralls that feel nearly required to play.

Until that time, though, I won't be expanding my collection.

Edit:

Unless they release more CoC.

Out of curiosity, how is the CoC box? What would I need to pick up to expand on it?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
As a guy who wins with a full unit of MoW bombardiers in my list I can assure you that unit balance is only a very small part of the game

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I mean I'm being overly cynical. PP acknowledges that having a fanbase is a good thing, so they likely won't go GW Jr. on us. I'm just a naturally cautious person when it comes to expensive models, so I'll likely wait a few releases after the khador theme book to really get into it beyond just proxying, at least by that point I'll be likelier to find used stuff.

Also ganny youre right, harkevich is good

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KPC_Mammon posted:

I feel like they already have this problem with live updates alongside their existing suspect game balance. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a behemoth right now if I was a Khador player. Same for the hellmouth as Legion. If something seems too good to be true, give it six months, it very well might be.

Or maybe trust that PP will reduce the level of the stuff they revise to average, instead of just nerfing them into the floor? Getting everything onto the same level (or more accurately, the same tight band of value) is exactly what you want. The whole thing with trap choices is dumb as hell in RPGs, and it's even worse when you have to spend time getting stuff ready for the tabletop.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

gannyGrabber posted:

As a guy who wins with a full unit of MoW bombardiers in my list I can assure you that unit balance is only a very small part of the game

Sure, I won the majority of my mk3 Cryx games before I decided to sell them. I'm not saying you can't win with bad stuff. This isn't just about winning, I sold off Khador too.

Raerlynn posted:

Out of curiosity, how is the CoC box? What would I need to pick up to expand on it?

Depends! Do you mean the Lucant all-in-one or Syntherion's battle box?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

KPC_Mammon posted:

Sure, I won the majority of my mk3 Cryx games before I decided to sell them. I'm not saying you can't win with bad stuff. This isn't just about winning, I sold off Khador too.

probably the battle box since the All In One is out of print (i'm holding out hope for new ones this winter though!)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

S.J. posted:

privateer has the two player boxes listed as coming out the 31st, alliance lists them as the 24th

i'm gonna go with alliance's date as being right

(let's hear it for having the store login for every distributor but Diamond memorized)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

probably the battle box since the All In One is out of print (i'm holding out hope for new ones this winter though!)

In that case: Syntherion is awesome, Mitigator is a nice way to MAT fix at zero focus cost (due to induction), magnetizing the Cipher + a second Cipher/Inverter/Monitor box gives a fair bit of variety, and the Galvanizer is a confusing overpriced mess.

I'd expand with a Corollary, magnetized Assimilator/Conservator/Modulator box, unit of Optifex Directives, and an ADO solo. Also consider using the partially assembled Galvanizer as a Diffuser proxy. Stacking a Diffuser with Syntherion's magnetic hold gives +4" threat range on charges. Add the feat with something like a Monitor or PA and you have some ridiculously long threat ranges.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Help me build a better bearded fat guy list you bearded fat goons.

Captain E. Dominic Darius - WJ: +29
- Halfjacks
- Squire - PC: 5
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 29)
- Lightning Pod
- Stormclad - PC: 18
- Firefly - PC: 8

Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 4
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Hunter - PC: 11
Stormsmith Stormcaller - 3 Stormsmiths: 5

Trencher Chain Gun Crew - Gunner & Grunt: 5
Trencher Chain Gun Crew - Gunner & Grunt: 5

This is the best Darius list I can come up with. I do wish that Darius came with a speed buff but boosted melee attack rolls is fine with me.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Live game balance makes me really happy having one faction I want to collect and paint the whole drat thing. I can see how it could be annoying if you want to dabble with small lists in a bunch of different factions though.

I'm doing all of Skorne, so if I want to play "seriously", I'll make a Skorne list. I've got some Mercs on the side but I'm mostly interested in doing fluffy stuff for fun there. If the fluffy lists I want to build in Mercs turn out to also be competitive, then it's a bonus. If not, then I don't really care.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

KPC_Mammon posted:

The AiO. LGS has at least one left.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
'nother PP Insider: http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-08-11-2016

quote:

I call this little number, “Gunline meta? More like funline meta! Am I right?”

Iron Mother Directrix & Exponent Servitors +27 WJ pts
- Prime Axiom 38 pts
- Assimilator 16 pts
- Assimilator 16 pts
- Assimilator 16 pts
- Corollary 6 pts
Elimination Servitors 3 pts
Elimination Servitors 3 pts

Will Hungerford is a bad, bad man. I can almost field this list, I just don't have the Assimilators. I might try proxying them to make my friends hate me.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Magres posted:

'nother PP Insider: http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-08-11-2016

Will Hungerford is a bad, bad man. I can almost field this list, I just don't have the Assimilators. I might try proxying them to make my friends hate me.

You should. Assimilator gunline is fun as hell.

I'm still not sure if I prefer it with Synth or Mother. Cycling hotshot and 3 focus per assimilator is hilarious.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Raerlynn posted:

The AiO. LGS has at least one left.

It depends on how much it costs.

The faction is pretty limited in size, so chances are you'll eventually want everything eventually.

The best models in the set is the heavy (magnetize it, it is pretty easy to do), OD, ADO, and diffuser.

The worst models are the enigma foundries, reductors, and servitors. They were great in mk2 because recursion let you place them for an aim bonus, but I hate what PP has done to recursion. Enigma foundries aren't worth the points and reductors have garbage RAT without the ability to aim. Accretion servitors can fill points, but generally aren't worth taking if you can find room for something else.

Lucant is one of our only anti-gunline options. I really don't like what they've done to him in mk3 but due to the faction's size you don't have any other options. Awesome model though, a big reason I got into the faction. He is fun with angels, which is our best light infantry, so if you end up playing him a lot you'll want to pick some up.

I like eradicators and they got cheaper in mk3 but the current ARM spam meta isn't very good for them.

Regardless, you'll need a corollary.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

privateer has the two player boxes listed as coming out the 31st, alliance lists them as the 24th

(let's hear it for having the store login for every distributor but Diamond memorized)

What whaaaaat. I was just too lazy to check tbh :v:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Idk where I got august 10th from but I feel like crap having bothered my LGS so much in the laat few days

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

S.J. posted:

What whaaaaat. I was just too lazy to check tbh :v:

Yeah everything but diamond uses the same login so I can check all that nonsense from home

Comes in handy when

Uh

Ok it never comes in handy but it's nice to have

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm buying a second GMCA and two Riflemen today :cool:

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Monthly 'how's your meta?' checkup. Mine still has a pulse but it's not like it was at one point where on an average Saturday we'd have 10-20 people all chucking dice in warmahordes.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

S.J. posted:

I'm buying a second GMCA and two Riflemen today :cool:

If I could find a single GMCA that was available to buy in Aus I'd be happy.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Ours has stayed the same. No one has quit because of the change. Our PG is super lazy and does nothing to promote the game so we hover around 4-8 players a night.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fnordcircle posted:

Monthly 'how's your meta?' checkup. Mine still has a pulse but it's not like it was at one point where on an average Saturday we'd have 10-20 people all chucking dice in warmahordes.

Honestly, our club went from only two of us playing WMH and a bunch of KoW, to 10ish new players from the local almost failed hobby shop. MKIII has been nothing but a shot in the arm for us.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fnordcircle posted:

Still a bunch of mutants that I don't want to interact with and four employees whose schedules never line up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

fnordcircle posted:

Our meta was dying around the last 6 months or so of Mk 2 because of how stagnant the game was getting. It was really hard to get new people in. I've had a bunch of new people interested in the game and buying stuff but actually getting them down to game nights has been inconsistent because of the summer. Summer time is always annoying for getting people to show up regularly for stuff.