Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I use it for Skyrim.

Out of the 200 anime weeaboo haircuts in there there are about 5 that are indeed worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Man Whore posted:

does anyone else vomit in their mouth a little when they see someone suggest Apachii skyhair? Like maybe its gotten better but after seeing it in every bethesda game over the decade it has never looked good to me.

They've added some somewhat decent things over the years, but yeah, there's a ton of junk in there still. It's got like 400 hair options so you'll find one that isn't garbage and hate scrolling through the other 399 every time you're in racemenu.

On the other hand someone using that list probably won't be in racemenu tweaking their character more than once, so it's not all bad. I'd suggest you use KS Hairdos or KS HDT, but :shrug:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Guess this varies also depending on the setup of Windows. Is your account an administrator and the owner of the directories in which the games are installed? I'd always figured that this is why I never had an issue. I set that up when I discovered that I wasn't the owner of Program Files for reasons that have nothing to do with modding (i.e., just on general obstinate principle).

My account is definitely an admin and it probably is set as owner (I can't remember specifically doing that but hey I don't remember half the poo poo I do to my computer).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ajkalan posted:

Yes, this was the problem, I installed the game outside of Program Files and that messed everything up. Thanks to you and Agents are Go for the help!

So you're saying that you now moved Skyrim outside of Program Files and it works properly now?

The thing about keeping the game and all of your modding tools out of Program Files is while its not always necessary, it's totally unpredictable as to when it is necessary and the symptom are an almost infinite number of seemingly unrelated problems.

In my experience, even turning off UAC and other security bits in windows doesn't change the fact that windows watches Program Files like a hawk and interferes with stuff there more than files located elsewhere. Since quite a few pieces of mod software - ENB, SKSE, Mod Organizer, and even some SkyProc patchers - use techniques very similar to virii and malware in order to hook into the games code, Windows tends to interfere.

In the example here, if I had to guess, ajkalan's computer was interfering with MO creating the virtual directory, and Skyrim was having trouble loading the games files.

(PS: GunnerJ, I wrote all that with the idea that maybe you'd adapt part of it into the new OP, feel free to cannibalize any of my posts.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

(PS: GunnerJ, I wrote all that with the idea that maybe you'd adapt part of it into the new OP, feel free to cannibalize any of my posts.)

Yeah that's a good call. I wasn't trying to flat out shut you down with that comment btw, it's just that it's a good precaution but not something everyone is guaranteed to need. So I felt it should be noted.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

doctor 7 posted:

I use it for Skyrim.

Out of the 200 anime weeaboo haircuts in there there are about 5 that are indeed worthwhile.

Pretty much this. I use it, but also with the "natural hair recolor" addition so it isn't so SSJ Goku :ssj: bright yellow bullshit.

Are there other good hair mods out there that improve the hair beyond Skyrim's default "extruded poop from skull" aesthetic? Apachii is the only one I've heard of.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hey heads up folks, fellow goon Antistar has released his quest/house mod Clockwork and not even bothered to tell us! Antistar is the modder behind WMX for New Vegas, so it's probably pretty good.

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah that's a good call. I wasn't trying to flat out shut you down with that comment btw, it's just that it's a good precaution but not something everyone is guaranteed to need. So I felt it should be noted.

You just dont respect my artistic vision as a poster!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

New OP update: it is sad as gently caress that I have to use another message board's post window to format links in any way that's not a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Siets posted:

Pretty much this. I use it, but also with the "natural hair recolor" addition so it isn't so SSJ Goku :ssj: bright yellow bullshit.

Are there other good hair mods out there that improve the hair beyond Skyrim's default "extruded poop from skull" aesthetic? Apachii is the only one I've heard of.

try KS Hairdos

also that predcaliber guide suggests Stable uGridsToLoad, so hmmm maybe I gotta not say I like it

messing around with uGrids is a stupid idea

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Hey heads up folks, fellow goon Antistar has released his quest/house mod Clockwork and not even bothered to tell us! Antistar is the modder behind WMX for New Vegas, so it's probably pretty good.

Yeah, sorry I didn't really, like... ever bring it up here at any point. I was actually consciously avoiding this thread as I already spent too much time procrastinating in the mole-rat boobs thread (New Vegas modding thread). I mean holy poo poo, Clockwork took over four and a half years to make as it was!

I was going back and forth on whether to post about the release in here too; it seemed a bit tacky to just breeze in and say "hey I made a mod, you should go download it; okay thanks".

Thanks, is what I'm trying to say.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

We fully embrace tacky! I plan to break play around with Clockwork this weekend.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Antistar01 posted:

Yeah, sorry I didn't really, like... ever bring it up here at any point. I was actually consciously avoiding this thread as I already spent too much time procrastinating in the mole-rat boobs thread (New Vegas modding thread). I mean holy poo poo, Clockwork took over four and a half years to make as it was!

I was going back and forth on whether to post about the release in here too; it seemed a bit tacky to just breeze in and say "hey I made a mod, you should go download it; okay thanks".

Thanks, is what I'm trying to say.

You PM'd me the beta on the bethsoft forums and I never got around to playing it, sorry! I know I've been watching it for four years, so my next playthrough of Skyrim will include it.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

holy poo poo that interior looks nice

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So clearly, this Clockwork deal is the perfect mod for someone once again telling themselves "I'm SO going to actually play past the first dragon fight this time!"

PS: What is the most pro tip fashiion mod suggestion for giving Orcs sweet Mohawks (That I will never see because of helmets)?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Use the mod that adds armored circlets to the game. I think it's called Armored Circlets.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gorgar posted:

Use the mod that adds armored circlets to the game. I think it's called Armored Circlets.

Are you sure?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gorgar posted:

Oh cool. Let's see. HD armored circlets...

"This version is final.
Known issues: Some clipping with male orcs. Every other race should be fine."

:doh:

Also seeing an "Armored Circlets by Quickfox", which while older seems to be much more well put together at a glance (even if the steam workshop link doesn't work).

That thread title is highly accurate. "I'm going to start! Just as soon as I find proper Mad Max/Fist of the north star orc mohawks!"

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Complete Crafting Overhaul has an option to add Armored Circlet recipes.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Squeegy posted:

Are you sure?

No, I haven't touched Skyrim in a few months.

Section Z posted:

Also seeing an "Armored Circlets by Quickfox", which while older seems to be much more well put together at a glance (even if the steam workshop link doesn't work).

The Quickfox one looks familiar. Pretty sure that's what I was using. Definitely wasn't that HD one.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Transmogrifier posted:

Complete Crafting Overhaul has an option to add Armored Circlet recipes.

And taking a quick glance at that mode, it cites that Quickfox one as the circlets used. So they are probably good even on their own as well.

I'm sure the overhaul mod is cool overall, but jumping in with "Our vision demands extra side components and only being allowed to smith daedric weapons at night! (unless you turn that off :rolleyes:)" might be a bit extra on the pile to start with.

Speaking of Extras, does that overhaul mod work out with SPERG okay? Since it talks about changing what perks unlock certain items, and a few other crafting perk related mods as required.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Thanks guys. :)

Gyshall posted:

You PM'd me the beta on the bethsoft forums and I never got around to playing it, sorry! I know I've been watching it for four years, so my next playthrough of Skyrim will include it.

I was wondering what happened there. But hey - no worries. As it turned out, there wasn't much to fix during the beta. Most of it was spent waiting for me to take screenshots and make the trailer. :v:

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Section Z posted:

And taking a quick glance at that mode, it cites that Quickfox one as the circlets used. So they are probably good even on their own as well.

I'm sure the overhaul mod is cool overall, but jumping in with "Our vision demands extra side components and only being allowed to smith daedric weapons at night! (unless you turn that off :rolleyes:)" might be a bit extra on the pile to start with.

Speaking of Extras, does that overhaul mod work out with SPERG okay? Since it talks about changing what perks unlock certain items, and a few other crafting perk related mods as required.

You seem a little upset about a mod having extra features that you can toggle on and off in game. It works fine with SPERG from my experience in play throughs.

Also there's no extra side components required to actually craft the circlets. You don't even need the Quickfox or Armored Circlets textures to use CCO's. You just craft them from a normal helm at a smelter.

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 13, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Transmogrifier posted:

You seem a little upset about a mod having extra features that you can toggle on and off in game. It works fine with SPERG from my experience in play throughs.

Also there's no extra side components required to actually craft the circlets. You don't even need the Quickfox or Armored Circlets textures to use CCO's. You just craft them from a normal helm at a smelter.

I suppose I could have worded that more graciously, my track record of seeing things with "We want to shuffle requirements because of lore/immersion" has generally been a poor one. Even if I was not expecting anything terrible.

That and figuring on getting used to basic crafting in general, before diving in to adding secondary components and shuffling around ebony for Orichalcum, quicksilver secondaries, etc. (It mentions the 'Craft Daedric only at night' being optional, but not that stuff)

With a side of "Okay it requires a side mod I wasn't quite interested in, and... a Bashed patch is required to merge-I don't even know what the gently caress that means". That's part of what I meant for a bit much for diving right in with it.

Nice to hear it works good for SPERG though, for if I change my mind and decide just the weapons and armor fixes patch means smithing is garbage and I should be upset about Vanilla instead :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 13, 2016

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hey Skyrim modding thread, I haven't played for a long while but have decided to dick around in Skyrim a bit this weekend. I have a pretty good set of mods I enjoy using, but the problem I always run into is choosing an ENB preset that A) doesn't make everything dark as poo poo, and B) doesn't impact the frame rate too terribly. Regarding darkness – I'd like a torch to be helpful at night, but I don't want the entire world to become utterly pitch black after 5pm. On the scale of vanilla lighting to pitch black, I want about 70% vanilla.

I'll probably use CoT. Any recommendations, or are the presets listed in the OP still reliable? I'd like the game to look pretty and I have a beefy rig, but I don't want to gently caress around with the ENB settings endlessly.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Section Z posted:

I suppose I could have worded that more graciously, my track record of seeing things with "We want to shuffle requirements because of lore/immersion" has generally been a poor one. Even if I was not expecting anything terrible.

That and figuring on getting used to basic crafting in general, before diving in to adding secondary components and shuffling around ebony for Orichalcum, quicksilver secondaries, etc. (It mentions the 'Craft Daedric only at night' being optional, but not that stuff)

With a side of "Okay it requires a side mod I wasn't quite interested in, and... a Bashed patch is required to merge-I don't even know what the gently caress that means". That's part of what I meant for a bit much for diving right in with it.

Nice to hear it works good for SPERG though, for if I change my mind and decide just the weapons and armor fixes patch means smithing is garbage and I should be upset about Vanilla instead :v:

I recommend learning how to make a bash patch, its pretty easy, and while I wasn't sure about CCO when I installed it yesterday, its slowly growing on me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Man Whore posted:

I recommend learning how to make a bash patch, its pretty easy, and while I wasn't sure about CCO when I installed it yesterday, its slowly growing on me.

I definitely should check up on that sort of thing, yeah, It is likely much easier than it sounds. Particularly with years of modding tools behind it.

As much as anything I should just turn on the drat game and get going. Deciding whether or not to dig deeper into overhauls (SPERG is the only thing that isn't a quick fix I've got slotted at the moment) will be an easier choice once I I've gotten my hands on the gameplay it would be altering again for more than a couple hours.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Section Z posted:

As much as anything I should just turn on the drat game and get going.

Ahahahahahaha

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
I've been using this older mod for quite some time to hide equipped helmets fit some characters. You get a simple hotkey toggle and don't have to bother crafting anything special. Let that Goku hair run free http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/22765/

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Man Whore posted:

Quick question, are you using Complete Crafting Overhaul (CCO) or Complete Crafting Overhaul - Remade (CCOR)?

Because you might want to use the latter.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

ThaumPenguin posted:

Quick question, are you using Complete Crafting Overhaul (CCO) or Complete Crafting Overhaul - Remade (CCOR)?

Because you might want to use the latter.

The one in the OP so Remade.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Enderal is out in English.
http://enderal.com/

Website might be a little bit slow because it just hit.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm just going to say again: just having Legacy of the Dragonborn in my load order reduces my FPS by about 5. Garbage.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Enderal is out in English.
http://enderal.com/

Website might be a little bit slow because it just hit.

Ahhh poo poo. If this is anywhere near as good as Nehrim was then this will probably obsolete regular Skyrim for me.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Nehrim always crashed when I left the starter dungeon which was a huge slog so that killed any desire I had to ever had to play it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm I going to want to make a fresh skyrim install on another drive for enderal, or will it work fine if I have mod organizer to keep the mods separate?

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

Ahhh poo poo. If this is anywhere near as good as Nehrim was then this will probably obsolete regular Skyrim for me.

Having played the german version for about 100 hours at this point, it is indeed that good.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm I going to want to make a fresh skyrim install on another drive for enderal, or will it work fine if I have mod organizer to keep the mods separate?

The installer will copy all relevant Skyrim files, including installed mods, into a backup directory and set up Enderal from scratch. You can then use the custom launcher to switch between the two installs or delete Enderal entirely, but I'm pretty sure you can't play both at the same time (presumably because steam doesn't like keeping two separate installs around). I don't use MO or any mods in Enderal, but I guess you could just switch to a new blank profile. And don't forget to disable your ENB, Enderal heavily tweaks the lighting settings, so all Skyrim enb's will look like rear end.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnracFjiC_k

Here's the english trailer, just saw it get posted today.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mygna posted:

Having played the german version for about 100 hours at this point, it is indeed that good.

Nice, I've played maybe an hour or so it seems pretty amazing so far. Beautiful design all-round, the various scripted story bits are really impressive, and despite being made by Germans the English voice-acting seems way better than in Skyrim.

It's a good thing I nabbed the last of Skyrim's achievements on Steam because I really don't see myself ever going back to it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

the English voice-acting seems way better than in Skyrim.
Is the trailer not representative of the voice acting then, because it's loving excruciating in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I uh, don't really see what's "loving excruciating" about any of the voice acting in the trailer?

• Locked thread