Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Twerk from Home posted:

Cheaper, faster, uglier: I guess Fiat really does have some Mopar blood running in it's veins now.

Still built by Mazda in Japan, so the build quality is the same.

Plus, it is so much better looking than the ND :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Farking Bastage posted:

The Abarth ones are *really* sexy in my opinion.

It's the headlight proportion to the rest of the front fascia (especially the giant grill) that I really dislike, so the Abarth version makes no difference there. I find the ND way more attractive, especially lowered a bit.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

BloodBag posted:

I saw one this past week driving around Houston. Not that trim level, the base one. It's ugly and stupid looking in person. The ND that it shares a platform with looks gorgeous by comparison. It photographs well enough, I guess, but that fiat looks like garbage in person.

If mazda would put a turbo in theirs, I wouldn't be having this existential crisis.

Also my WRX is showing signs of an impending ringland failure.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Abarth looks like poo poo, the standard MX5 looks awesome in comparison and I say this as someone who HATED it initially.

The Abarth really looks half arsed, the black bonnet and cheap looking grille, the messy headlights... It's just not a nice looking car at all.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I love the new MX5. The regular 124 looks cute, but the Abarth looks like it went through Pimp My Ride, Eurotrash edition.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Infinotize posted:

I love the new MX5. The regular 124 looks cute, but the Abarth looks like it went through Pimp My Ride, Eurotrash edition.

Agreed, the two-tone kills it for me. I know you get brakes and suspension bits, but for only 5 hp more I'd go with a regular spec 124.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

a primate posted:

Agreed, the two-tone kills it for me. I know you get brakes and suspension bits, but for only 5 hp more I'd go with a regular spec 124.

you don't have to get the black hood and trunk, in fact is a $1,995 option you have to add.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

kill me now posted:

you don't have to get the black hood and trunk, in fact is a $1,995 option you have to add.

That's great news :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you don't get the matte surfaces you suck and can't appreciate heritage.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you don't get the matte surfaces you suck and can't appreciate heritage.

If you buy one of those ugly loving things over an MX5 you're a euro trash piece of poo poo anyway.

That thing is horrendous.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Too bad the 124 is apparently more fun to drive, let alone comparing it to the 124 abarth

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

If I had to describe the 124 in person, the way the whole body seems to wrap under the car like a sheet around a mattress. In fact, it looks like a box spring sitting on four legged bed frame. It's really quite badly proportioned whereas the ND seems to be somewhat slab-sided all the way to the bottom of the body by comparison. I get that old 60s-70s cars did that wrap-under thing, and the Mopars did it to great effect, but this just apes that style very clumsily.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ah, Italian Mopar(io) , what a time to be alive.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

El Scotch posted:

Ah, Italian Mopar(io) , what a time to be alive.

It's like a double negative.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

coolskillrex remix posted:

Too bad the 124 is apparently more fun to drive, let alone comparing it to the 124 abarth
Depends on who you ask. The initial press on the 124 was great (as it is with pretty much every car), and then people started to waver a bit when they actually drove them back to back. This goes into some good detail: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a30078/fiat-124-abarth-vs-mazda-miata-club-track-test/.

Also, the Miata is faster.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BloodBag posted:

If I had to describe the 124 in person, the way the whole body seems to wrap under the car like a sheet around a mattress. In fact, it looks like a box spring sitting on four legged bed frame. It's really quite badly proportioned whereas the ND seems to be somewhat slab-sided all the way to the bottom of the body by comparison. I get that old 60s-70s cars did that wrap-under thing, and the Mopars did it to great effect, but this just apes that style very clumsily.

I'll have to see one in person, but I will grant you that the new 124 looks way worse than the original.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TheGoatTrick posted:

Depends on who you ask. The initial press on the 124 was great (as it is with pretty much every car), and then people started to waver a bit when they actually drove them back to back. This goes into some good detail: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a30078/fiat-124-abarth-vs-mazda-miata-club-track-test/.

The big thing with the Fiat is that the 1.4 MultiAir turbo has a massive aftermarket for extremely cheap gains.

edit: You can get an OEMish Magneti Marelli unit for 700 bucks that will take you over 200hp.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 11, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TheGoatTrick posted:

Motortrend is firmly on the side that the 124 is more fun to drive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Motortrend is firmly on the side that the 124 is more fun to drive.

So was Grassroots Motorsports.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Theyre so neck and neck on paper the only way to make sure before getting one is a back to back test drive.
And even then I reckon only a proper WOT wringing out would suffice.

:colbert:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The abarth 124 looks like a good and fun car and I feel like people would think I am a fun and interesting person while driving it. Also, It avoids any miata :gay: jokes, which I figure would get annoying after a while.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I liked the look of the 124 until I saw it in person. Maybe it was because it was on a stand but it just didn't seem right.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

TheGoatTrick posted:

The targa top Miata is so good looking that I would never buy a soft top one... I wonder if the brakes still work as well with like an extra 200lbs

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The big thing with the Fiat is that the 1.4 MultiAir turbo has a massive aftermarket for extremely cheap gains.

edit: You can get an OEMish Magneti Marelli unit for 700 bucks that will take you over 200hp.

Cheaper than that soon enougj. Hell, i paid $300 for the ecm that took my Abarth 500C to 195ish HP.

The 1.4 is a great little engine.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

coolskillrex remix posted:

The targa top Miata is so good looking that I would never buy a soft top one... I wonder if the brakes still work as well with like an extra 200lbs
Someone weighed an RF recently. It was within a few pounds of a base 124 so the weight gain over the soft top Miata is more like 100 pounds.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Do brakes stop working with a fat passenger in the car?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I want a fixed-roof MX5-RF in the worst way. Take out all the folding roof mechanicals and I'll buy it.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I'm waiting for someone to make a DIY kit or guide to do just that.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Add me to that list but rather a manual retracting roof, cuz ya know......I still want to feel my hair blowing in the wind every now and then.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

travisray2004 posted:

Add me to that list but rather a manual retracting roof, cuz ya know......I still want to feel my hair blowing in the wind every now and then.

The worst of all possible worlds! Where do I sign?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Honda civic sport hatchback get exposed exhaust god bless

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The worst of all possible worlds! Where do I sign?

Thank you for voicing your incorrect opinion.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I just want a Miata I can fit in. I test drove an NC and sat in the new one at the dealer and neither one would be usable as a daily driver. My heart was broken :smith:

also is there any chance that the RX-9 rumors are true? http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/24/mazda-rx-9-coupe-concept-tokyo-report/

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

FBS posted:

I just want a Miata I can fit in. I test drove an NC and sat in the new one at the dealer and neither one would be usable as a daily driver. My heart was broken :smith:

also is there any chance that the RX-9 rumors are true? http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/24/mazda-rx-9-coupe-concept-tokyo-report/

I'll believe it when I see a verified MSRP. Not a second before.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

FBS posted:

I've seen people lower the floor pans on a NA's using thicker gauge metal where the seat mounts so it's just a few millimeters above the bottom of the frame rail.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'll believe it when I see a verified MSRP. Not a second before.

If they make this thing before some Mazdaspeed variants I'll be disappointed.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Is it even possible to make a worthwhile rotary that can meet all the new emissions and mpg requirements?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

KakerMix posted:

If they make this thing before some Mazdaspeed variants I'll be disappointed.

Yup. They have all the parts in the bin, just do it.

Buhbuhj posted:

Is it even possible to make a worthwhile rotary that can meet all the new emissions and mpg requirements?

Without electrification? They probably can make something that meets what is required today, but probably not something that will stay good for the next ten years and spending a shitload of money re-engineering a motor that's only going to be legal for a short time is really silly.

I think rotaries and electrics make a ton of sense to mate together.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hydrogen Rotary / other alt-fuel rotary makes the most sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I would really like Hydrogen to be viable.