Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Is everyone on Cricket unlimited still happy with their service?

Moving soon and I know my new spot has terrible T-Mobile service, so in considering dumping T-Mobile unlimited for Cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

tonic posted:

Moving soon and I know my new spot has terrible T-Mobile service, so in considering dumping T-Mobile unlimited for Cricket.

Don't have unlimited, but have had cricket since it was AIO. Still quite happy with it and the price for groups is hard to beat.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

SB35 posted:

Don't have unlimited, but have had cricket since it was AIO. Still quite happy with it and the price for groups is hard to beat.

Same here.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

tonic posted:

There was that outage a couple weeks ago where things just didn't work for a good 12+ hours; other than that I've never had problems with Aio/Cricket's service.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wacky Delly posted:

There was that outage a couple weeks ago where things just didn't work for a good 12+ hours; other than that I've never had problems with Aio/Cricket's service.

That's my experience as well. That one is the first outage I've seen from Cricket/Aio and it's been some time. I might, however, switch to Google Fi once they finish rolling out US Cellular compatibility if it means I'm able to sign up. Can't at present because for some reason T-Mo doesn't even recognize my zip code as a valid US zip, let alone allow numbers from my area to be ported in. I put my zip into the Fi site and it says it isn't available in my area (presumably because it isn't properly serviced by T-Mo, they only have a couple towers to ensure they don't lose the spectrum license)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So for people who are interested in getting a free data only GSM sim card, Freedompop has been selling data sim cards for $1-10 each, 99 cent deals pop up all the time. When you get the card, you have to downgrade the plan and cancel the trail service, otherwise you will be charged 20 next month. After the downgrades you still have 200MB/month for free.

That's basically what TMobile offers and it's not so special. However Freedompop let you add "FP friends" to get 50MB per friend, up to 10 friends. It's very easy to add "friends" you just paste a whole bunch of email in the invite box. I got all 10 friends in a day. You can add up to 500MB bonus data, total 700MB a month. 700MB is pretty usable if you have a 3G tablet that can use the GSM sim card.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Don't forget to log into the cricket Rewards app for your free $5 Amazon gift card.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
It looks like the Cricket glitch where you could reset your monthly data total has been resolved. At one point you could reset the running total by changing your plan, I did it one time before. This time it didn't work.

edit: Actually maybe it did? Different parts of the website show either 0 or 5 GB used now.

poppingseagull fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 27, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

poppingseagull posted:

It looks like the Cricket glitch where you could reset your monthly data total has been resolved. At one point you could reset the running total by changing your plan, I did it one time before. This time it didn't work.

edit: Actually maybe it did? Different parts of the website show either 0 or 5 GB used now.

I thought the reset was something they intentionally offered in order to encourage switching to larger plans.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

I thought the reset was something they intentionally offered in order to encourage switching to larger plans.

Wouldn't that have the opposite effect? It even works switching to a smaller plan. I'm on the 5 GB plan so I switched to the 2.5 GB and back, now I have another 5 GB for the rest of the month. I'm not one to do this more than once a year, I'd rather just pay the extra $$ so I don't have to spend that extra 10 minutes switching plans constantly.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

poppingseagull posted:

Still works for me. I switched to 10GB earlier in the month and it reset. Just switched back to 2.5GB and it reset again.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Cricket cell coverage down for anybody else? I'm getting nothing (cut out in the middle of a call). Rebooted and errythang.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BonoMan posted:

Cricket cell coverage down for anybody else? I'm getting nothing (cut out in the middle of a call). Rebooted and errythang.

Nope zero issues for me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FAUXTON posted:

Nope zero issues for me.

Yeah apparently just me (and some random person that happened to post about it on their FB page at the exact same time mine went out... so maybe a small outage?)

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Speaking of Cricket, did they ever explain what happened a while back that knocked out coverage for huge swaths of the country? You'd think they could piggy-back off the at&t network at this point.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

As Nero Danced posted:

Speaking of Cricket, did they ever explain what happened a while back that knocked out coverage for huge swaths of the country? You'd think they could piggy-back off the at&t network at this point.

Not that I ever heard, I'd love to hear a post-mortem or whatever the equivalent "here's what happened" is for that field. I mean their website was down for a good portion of that outage, though it could have just gotten sunk under everyone visiting it to see what was up. It seemed like something went haywire but whether it was with their hookup with ATT or their proxy server (IIRC they had an issue with their proxy a while back and it caused problems for a couple hours) is what I'd like to know. It wasn't that there was a signal and attempts just bounced, the signal bar was empty, as though the network wasn't transmitting.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm in a jam and maybe you guys can help. I have an iPhone 5 that I bought through Virgin Mobile (huge mistake), paid in full. I ported my phone number over to Cricket Wireless. The iPhone 5 is compatible with Cricket's network. Before doing this, I spoke with Virgin Mobile about unlocking the phone to use on other networks, and the only thing they would do is give me an unlock code and told me to provide that to Cricket. Stupidly, I believed this would work. But of course, even though I have an active Cricket account now, inserting the SIM card gives me a message about it not being supported due to carrier access restrictions.

Cricket says they can't unlock the phone. Virgin refuses do do anything but provide the unlock code, only now their excuse is "your account is cancelled now so we can't do anything, sorry". There's nothing I can do with the unlock code on the iPhone. Am I screwed? I did kind of want a new phone but I wasn't ready to pay for one just yet.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I have an iPhone 5 paid in full.

Virgin refuses do do anything but provide the unlock code, only now their excuse is "your account is cancelled now so we can't do anything, sorry".
I'd start my reminding Virgin that they have to unlock your fully paid for phone (by law). Canvas Google for executive numbers, bomb Twitter support, all of it. That's some bullshit. I don't know of any other way. Suppose you could file a complaint with the FTC or someone, but no clue if that would get you anywhere.

Hopefully someone else can offer more help. Godspeed.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/cell-phone-unlocking-faqs

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Since Verizon iPhone 5s was the first model you can activate on all 4 carriers. I doube iPhone 5 of any CDMA variant can be activated on a GSM carrier.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

whatever7 posted:

Since Verizon iPhone 5s was the first model you can activate on all 4 carriers. I doube iPhone 5 of any CDMA variant can be activated on a GSM carrier.

I've been under the impression that The iPhone 5 A1429 CDMA version also supported GSM. Apparently it does, but doesn't support LTE, maybe, I don't know. Lots of conflicting information.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Lots of misinformation has been given regarding your Virgin iPhone 5.

If you have a SIM-unlocked American CDMA model iPhone 5, it also supports GSM and the main LTE bands for AT&T, and probably some of T-Mobile's. This would be the case for a Verizon iPhone 5 that came SIM-unlocked, for example, or a Sprint phone that you get SIM-unlocked. Verizon LTE phones are all sold SIM-unlocked BY LAW because of the FCC spectrum license they won at auction for their low frequency LTE band (700MHz?).

However, the Sprint (and Boost and Virgin) iPhone 5 were all sold SIM-locked by Apple with an agreement to be International SIM-unlockable, but not Domestic SIM unlockable. After the VOLUNTARY AGREEMENT in 2014 by some cellphone industry consortium that includes Sprint, phones released after February 2015 would be fully SIM-unlockable. This does not include the iPhone 5. This is a voluntary agreement and not a law, though the FCC would love to hear if carriers weren't following the stipulations set forth in this SIM Unlocking agreement.

According to Sprint, only the iPhone 5s and later are Domestic SIM unlockable.
See the chart at the bottom.
https://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you. That clears it all up. I guess my options are 1. see if I can get Cricket to undo the transfer back to Virgin, or 2. Get a new, unlocked phone, which I wanted anyway, but wasn't quite ready to get yet.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Check out the Moto G4 if you still can get it with the 50 Amazon discount. I am very satisfied w mine. True unlocked phone, work on all 4 carriers and MVNO.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone on Straight Talk having data issues today? I can place calls and text just fine. It's been acting up since last night, not sure if it's a bigger issue or not.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 29, 2016

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So I went ahead and bought a new phone (iPhone SE) to use on Cricket coming from Virgin Mobile. I know it probably varies by area but the difference here in Orlando is night and day. With Virgin I often couldn't get anything to load, usually had one or two bars, very rarely LTE speeds. Cricket feels as fast as the parent carriers and I'm getting mostly 4 or 5 bars.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 29, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I went to post-paid T-Mobile ($95 buffet plan) last week...speeds have been curiously slow. I know it's probably congestion, but will it get better? Not sure.

I'm looking again at Cricket since I came from AT&T (after like a decade). The $65 after auto-pay truly unlimited plan looks super tempting. I know about the 8 down limit, which is really no big deal.

Any other catches here? It seems like a solid option if it's really truly unlimited. Of course they could always bait and switch as people "abuse" it, but for now, it looks like a good dumb pipe for data junkies. And the $100 T-Mo port-in credit may seal the deal for me (and a referral...anyone want one?).

I'd think volte and wifi calling will trickle to Cricket at some point, no? It just seems like an incredible value that has no real downsides ("post-paid priority" aside)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

hotsauce posted:

(and a referral...anyone want one?).
Sure
https://refer.cricketwireless.com/6bKS57s

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Edit: referral done.

Cool. Dibs for you. I'm still flipping a coin over here...just kinda pissed I dinged my credit last week for T-Mo post paid. My SIM from Amazon arrives today, so I'll probably pull the trigger...

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 29, 2016

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
There needs to be a giant neon sign outside the door of all the major carriers how they're legally required to unlock phones. I was told by both Sprint and Verizon that they wouldn't unlock phones recently, and my parents just had a similar issue with a Verizon carrier. Insane.

The nice thing is if you buddy up to the people at a Cricket/MVNO kiosk you could probably get them to unlock your phone for you just out of spite.

whatever7 posted:

Check out the Moto G4 if you still can get it with the 50 Amazon discount. I am very satisfied w mine. True unlocked phone, work on all 4 carriers and MVNO.

Quick review: Phone is magic. I'm finding it to be curiously deficient in games, like it sometimes exhibits a fraction of the power it should have. The one speaker is weak crap, but it works for normal use. I feel like back when I flirted with a Galaxy S5, which it's fairly close to in specs. My parents live in a Verizon-only-MVNO area so being able to switch between Cricket and Verizon makes me feel almost like I live in a place there phones aren't controlled by science fiction megacorporations. Highly recommended.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

revdrkevind posted:

There needs to be a giant neon sign outside the door of all the major carriers how they're legally required to unlock phones.

As long as you don't owe any money on the phones.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

As long as you don't owe any money on the phones.

Sure, that's the requirement. I still don't know how TMobile requires you to use the phone on their network for 40 (?) days before they will unlock. You pay full price for the phone at the register, own it outright, and TMobile still somehow needs a month of revenue out of your before they will unlock. Parting punishment? Seems pretty sketchy.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

hotsauce posted:

Sure, that's the requirement. I still don't know how TMobile requires you to use the phone on their network for 40 (?) days before they will unlock. You pay full price for the phone at the register, own it outright, and TMobile still somehow needs a month of revenue out of your before they will unlock. Parting punishment? Seems pretty sketchy.

100% illegal. Any MVNO could probably unlock you in a few minutes. Unless the claim the credit is clearing so there's a financial issue?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

revdrkevind posted:

100% illegal. Any MVNO could probably unlock you in a few minutes. Unless the claim the credit is clearing so there's a financial issue?

I don't know how they get away with it, but they won't budge. It's sketchy AF.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

hotsauce posted:

I don't know how they get away with it, but they won't budge. It's sketchy AF.

It literally took an act of Congress(*) to give Americans the right to unlock their cell phones. The carriers will do anything to screw you.

(*Claim may be slightly overblown but not by much.)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

What's the story with Total Wireless? They have a $35 unlimited talk/text and 5gb of data and run off the Verizon network, and apparently my Nexus 6P works with it, so what's the catch that keeps everyone from talking about it in this thread?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nobody has heard of it.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What's the story with Total Wireless? They have a $35 unlimited talk/text and 5gb of data and run off the Verizon network, and apparently my Nexus 6P works with it, so what's the catch that keeps everyone from talking about it in this thread?

It's another America Movil brand so same lovely customer service as StraightTalk/Net10/Tracfone/etc. It does run on Verizon and all Verizon MVNOs are capped to 5mb download speed. But other than that, if you need Verizon coverage, it's a stellar deal.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Well, I switched over to Total on my lunch break and now I get cell reception in my office, so it seems pretty great so far.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, I'm in a cricket outage. Not really surprising since we got like 2' of rain in the last few days. Here's hoping they get it fixed soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Welp, I'm in a cricket outage. Not really surprising since we got like 2' of rain in the last few days. Here's hoping they get it fixed soon.

There was a point in time yesterday where ATT was having major problems almost everywhere East of the Mississippi. Wonder if it's a holdover from that.