Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Google Apps is really badly let down by the management tools

iajanus posted:

Most businesses are really badly let down by the management tools.
:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

I suggested a lav mic, but we can't spend any money on this, so the omnidirectional microphone in a 10x10x15 is what we're using :downs:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Do you have any documentation or spec sheets on the recommended setup for your system? Does it include anything on sound that you can point to and say "See, this is what the project requires, we don't have that, I can't solve the problem at this stage unless the minimum specs are met" ?

Otherwise just sit behind the fact that they're not willing to pay for upgrades. The system is working. Any improvements are superfluous and will require budgetary expenses.

I know it's Cisco, and you're using Polycom, but Cisco does have a number of telepresence/video conferencing room design guides that include information on acoustics, lighting, and even paint color choice.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/misc/user_guide/video_conferencing_room_primer_ver02.pdf
http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/misc/user_guide/video_conferencing_room_acoustics_guidelines_ver01.pdf
http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/c07-643449-00_tp_dg.pdf

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

See also:

http://community.polycom.com/t5/The-View-from-APAC/Top-3-considerations-for-setting-up-small-to-medium-size-room/ba-p/62761

quote:

Acoustic paneling or some level of acoustic treatment is recommended to bring down the ambient noise level and avoid echo from the reflection of sound off the concrete surface/wall in the room.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

skooma512 posted:

A text came in. My ex girlfriend texted me asking me to come over to fix her mom's chromebook. When I explained that the process to recover it was easy, she was like "I don't have time".

Yeah about that... Neither do I. She's pretty much an hour away, I've been drinking, she doesn't have a ticket, and oh by the way the last time I was at that house I was getting broken up with... by her. I'm on call for enough places, let alone for free.

Oh well, back to Men of War and beer.

You get that loving printer and you walk it all 60 of those miles to her place.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

You get that loving printer and you walk it all 60 of those miles to her place.
Well there might be a hug in it for him at the end.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Alt + underlined letter = Perform the command for that letter

"I can't find the 'underlined letter' key."

In terms of shortcuts, shift+right click in a folder lets you open cmd there, but no powershell option. My favorite shortcut I've learned recently is Alt+D and then type 'powershell' into the folder address bar without quotes to open powershell in that directory. :getin:

iajanus posted:

It works on so many levels. :allears:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

skooma512 posted:

she doesn't have a ticket

I'm probably reading this wrong, but I'm praying that you told her to open a ticket.

Please tell me you asked her to log a loving ticket.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

It's literally a science school. They're all physics teachers. The teacher teaching the class is a physics teacher. Everyone is saying to do what I'm suggesting but the one in control says no no no.

I tried to make them buy a new mic
But they said, no, no, no
Yes, the school's cheap
And it makes me weep
I gotta go, go, go
My budget's controlled by tards
It makes my job real hard
Asked if I could spend some money
They told me "NO, NO, NO"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

where can I find a (good, free) guide to starting an IT department and helpdesk from scratch

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

where can I find a (good, free) guide to starting an IT department and helpdesk from scratch

I have nothing useful to add except this: At the bottom of a bottle of cheap vodka, have you met my archnemesis skol?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Get a ton of money and hire some consultants.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A laptop came in... mSATA SSD doesn't boot. Put it in a USB adapter and plugged it into another computer, Disk Management wants to initialize it. I'd rather try to get files off it first before I do that. Any free/quick suggestions before considering an expensive recovery service?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

I was in this boat a couple of years ago. Honestly the biggest challenge long-term was a tie between creating policy/getting backing for said policy and training users to use the helpdesk instead of emailing/calling IT directly. Short-term it was documenting everything, taking over roles from "whoever used to do it" which ranged from MSPs, local IT companies, "that guy in accounting that's good with computers", etc. and fixing horrific cabling/network configuration clusterfucks.

If you have any questions about specifics feel free to PM me, but my advice right out the gate is if you have the budget then do like GreenNight says and hire someone else to do it for you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You want the person or team who has done it dozens of times and not re-invent the wheel. gently caress that.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It was a good learning experience but not something I'd ever want to do again. We didn't have the budget to bring in outside people to set things up for us so the options were "do it yourself" or "find a new job".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A laptop came in... mSATA SSD doesn't boot. Put it in a USB adapter and plugged it into another computer, Disk Management wants to initialize it. I'd rather try to get files off it first before I do that. Any free/quick suggestions before considering an expensive recovery service?

Try mounting it on something running Linux, even just a live CD.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

GreenNight posted:

You want the person or team who has done it dozens of times and not re-invent the wheel. gently caress that.

I've done it at least a dozen times. Each company is different, with different management and user styles, and it makes me want to drink heavily each time.

But, hey, it'd give you a good reason to try all the fancy alcohol your local store keeps behind the counter.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:toot:

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 21, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

before you do any of this ensure that you have an actual mandate from important people to set policy and most importantly enforce policy.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Also, clearly establish scope. I got dumped with supporting POTS phones and physical AV stuff (two things I knew absolutely nothing about) out of the blue and that sucked.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

iajanus posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > RE: A ticket came in: Most businesses are really badly let down by the management tools.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A subpoena came in.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

larchesdanrew posted:

A subpoena came in.

a good or a bad one? I guess they're all bad because it wastes your time.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Wild guess: It's the TV station wanting the documentation they deleted :sun:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Boogalo posted:

Wild guess: It's the TV station wanting the documentation they deleted :sun:

I bet CE broke something and blamed larches to cover for his own ineptitude.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

If a bootable linux USB can't make sense of it send it to drivesavers.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

A subpoena came in.

:f5:

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

larchesdanrew posted:

A subpoena came in.

You are such a tease.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Raerlynn posted:

You are such a tease.

:wink:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's me i'm suing him for constantly blueballing the thread

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

As the OP (and a dude getting laid off tomorrow) I approve of the title change :)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

A subpoena came in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud7sfCQFdU0&t=69s

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spankmeister posted:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

A subpoena came in.

Meh, I get subpoenas often enough that they're just more paper to move, any more.

It's *warrants* that are would be more interesting.

No subpoenys for me, just wanting medical records and the occasional medical provider testimony, ho-hum.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

spankmeister posted:

Please continue cause my balls are as blue as Larche's face while yelling at the former CE

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Guys, please...

It's none of your concern

:f5:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Nothing major, and I'm not sure how specific I can get with it, but we basically had a few students get expelled for identity theft last semester and now they're fighting back. I'm getting called in to testify. It's just another goddamn straw to add to this camel's back. On top of everything going on, now I have to spend the day in court watching these kids that literally confessed to everything try to get money we don't have out of us.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Nothing major, and I'm not sure how specific I can get with it, but we basically had a few students get expelled for identity theft last semester and now they're fighting back. I'm getting called in to testify. It's just another goddamn straw to add to this camel's back. On top of everything going on, now I have to spend the day in court watching these kids that literally confessed to everything try to get money we don't have out of us.

Ah, so it's :toot: SUBPOENA! PAID DAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED COURTROOM! :toot:

Well, one *hopes* it's air-conditioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Larches, this man is your new teacher:

http://youtu.be/PZbqAMEwtOE

• Locked thread