Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

credburn posted:

Can someone recommend me a good single player roguelike with the sort of post-death-progression that you get with, say, Binding of Isaac? I've been playing roguelikes forever, and recently I've been introduced to Binding of Isaac and Rogue Legacy. I think both are fantastic at what they do and am looking for other examples of this gimmick in which it's sort of like a roguelike in that your death is permanent and stuff is randomly generated, but the next time you start you might have a slight advantage. I've tried Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon; the former I thought was exciting but there doesn't seem to be anything more to unlock than a few other characters, and Enter the Gungeon is great but I'm wondering if there's something out there that's less...oh, something that doesn't feel like Ikaruga. I don't want to just dodge enemy fire all the time. An RPG would be great. Basically I played the poo poo out of Nethack and would love something like Nethack but with this added gimmick. But I'd take any suggestions. Oh, I've played Risk of Rain, too, which is fine...I love how much can be unlocked, but I'm really only looking for single player games and that game kinda sucks playing by myself.

And ACTUALLY if someone could tell me if there's a particular name for this subgenre / gimmick that I'm talking about? I'm sorry; I haven't been on the Internet since 2006 and a lot has changed. Maybe this is a common term now.

It sounds like you want to play Dungeonmans. It plays like Nethack but more fun, and your characters can bring power-ups back to your HQ that make new characters stronger and better equipped. The game is balanced around this, actually, but if you want more of a challenge there is an Ironmans mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

credburn posted:

Can someone recommend me a good single player roguelike with the sort of post-death-progression that you get with, say, Binding of Isaac? I've been playing roguelikes forever, and recently I've been introduced to Binding of Isaac and Rogue Legacy. I think both are fantastic at what they do and am looking for other examples of this gimmick in which it's sort of like a roguelike in that your death is permanent and stuff is randomly generated, but the next time you start you might have a slight advantage. I've tried Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon; the former I thought was exciting but there doesn't seem to be anything more to unlock than a few other characters, and Enter the Gungeon is great but I'm wondering if there's something out there that's less...oh, something that doesn't feel like Ikaruga. I don't want to just dodge enemy fire all the time. An RPG would be great. Basically I played the poo poo out of Nethack and would love something like Nethack but with this added gimmick. But I'd take any suggestions. Oh, I've played Risk of Rain, too, which is fine...I love how much can be unlocked, but I'm really only looking for single player games and that game kinda sucks playing by myself.

And ACTUALLY if someone could tell me if there's a particular name for this subgenre / gimmick that I'm talking about? I'm sorry; I haven't been on the Internet since 2006 and a lot has changed. Maybe this is a common term now.

It first cropped up in Mystery Dungeon games, a trademark name for a series of Japanese roguelikes where you reset to level 1 every dungeon run but you keep persistent upgrades. Sproggiwood is good but really simple. Road Not Taken is a puzzle-roguelike about combining items that create unique effects or hazards. They both take a persistent approach to the genre.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

credburn posted:

Seconding Dungeonmans. It is basically precisely what you are looking for. Goonmade to boot!

Also check out TOME 4 if you haven't yet. Big overworld epic quest style roguelike with good turn based combat involving skill use with cooldowns (think WoW or FF14), and as you play you unlock new classes for future characters.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking for a game where you get (generally) weaker over the course of the game. Where you start off as a well-equipped, buff, killing machine, but then your (for example) plasma rifle runs dry and you gotta switch to your AR, then pistol, then you gotta strangle the demons to death your drat bare hands. Then they rip one of your arms off, cut out an eye, and you gotta drag your sorry rear end across the finish line to kill the very last one by gnawing his heart out with your last tooth before you bleed to death.

Games similar: Cataclysm DDA, new DOOM, Darkest Dungeon are *sorta* close? In general you're still climbing the power ladder in each.

Edit: Not the "Start as Lvl 100 in the prologue, then cutscene, now you're L1" trope

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

My personal favorite implementation of power loss is in Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

I'm looking for a game where you get (generally) weaker over the course of the game. Where you start off as a well-equipped, buff, killing machine, but then your (for example) plasma rifle runs dry and you gotta switch to your AR, then pistol, then you gotta strangle the demons to death your drat bare hands. Then they rip one of your arms off, cut out an eye, and you gotta drag your sorry rear end across the finish line to kill the very last one by gnawing his heart out with your last tooth before you bleed to death.

Games similar: Cataclysm DDA, new DOOM, Darkest Dungeon are *sorta* close? In general you're still climbing the power ladder in each.

Edit: Not the "Start as Lvl 100 in the prologue, then cutscene, now you're L1" trope

It's not necessarily a good game, but Sword of the Stars: The Pit is essentially this. Your starter weapons are pretty much the best things you'll find in terms of power, but thanks to the durability/ammo system you'll want to never use them until you're forced to. The game is a slow race against all your things breaking until you're pathetically poking thing with your fingers and trying not to get bitten.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

LISA is very good for this, given that you can literally end up with no arms and all of your good party members dead via kidnapping/Russian roulette/etc

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I saw Darkest Dungeon played once and thought the presentation was amazing. I'll check it out, as well as Dungeonmans. I don't know anything about Dungeonmans, but I see I had once written it down as something important to check out, but I never did...

Evilreaver posted:

In Vagrant Story, your weapons get weaker as you use them. This mechanic goes further than that and is integral to what you do to stay strong, but it tangentially follows what you're talking about.

Also, Metal Gear Solid 4 features Snake getting progressively older, weaker, more asthmatic, sicker, beat up. He basically functions the same, but storywise it's kind of this...

credburn fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 12, 2016

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Evilreaver posted:

I'm looking for a game where you get (generally) weaker over the course of the game.

Thea: The Awakening is kinda like this; you get stronger over the course of the game, but on higher difficulties, if you don't know what you're doing, enemies generally grow in power faster than you do. So it's more of a power hill than a power seep, I guess. It's much easier to win the game by rushing to the end than waiting to have a massive population.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 12, 2016

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jinkeez posted:

I am pretty sure the only modern mafia-based strategy game is Omerta: City of Gangsters, and even that is a few years old.

It is a missed opportunity and a shame that there hasn't been a worthy followup to Gangsters, although Liberal Crime Squad is an excellent alternate take on organized crime.

Crusader Kings 2 also scratches a similar itch to think about power politics and relationships.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's been a good decade or so since I've played Deus Ex (1). Should I just play it again stock or stick it full of mods? And which mods? I'm going after a slightly-to-moderately, but not ridiculously, augmented version.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

It's been a good decade or so since I've played Deus Ex (1). Should I just play it again stock or stick it full of mods? And which mods? I'm going after a slightly-to-moderately, but not ridiculously, augmented version.
Deus Ex: Revision is all you need.

quote:

What is Revision?
The Revision project overhauls the environments and soundtrack of the 2000 video game Deus Ex, developed by Ion Storm and published by Eidos Interactive (now Square Enix). Where other projects fill in detail around the edges of the game by tuning gameplay mechanics or improving textures, we focus on the visceral core of the experience, bringing new level design, aesthetic direction and world-building detail.

Does Revision include other content from the Deus Ex community?
Yes. We package high-resolution textures and detailed 3D models from the New Vision and HDTP projects. We also integrate the community-built Shifter and BioMod projects as alternate gameplay modes. Players will be able to choose their preferred gameplay style from the game settings menu prior to starting a new game.

What if I want to enjoy the new levels with the original soundtrack?
You can! The soundtrack is optional, and you can toggle between the two musical scores in real-time from the in-game menu.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
BioMod is a very good gameplay mod, IMO. It's great that it's pre-packaged into Revision.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
GMDX is the best Deus Ex mod. These videos showcasing the mods features speak for themselves. Add New Vision for better graphics. Also it was a bad idea for me to link that youtube channel because I ended up watching some of the videos and now I'm re-installing Deus Ex.

edit: Oh hey it looks like GMDX already includes New Vision inside of it.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 14, 2016

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I want to be a space pirate. What's a good game that lets me be a space pirate? Only caveat is I admittedly struggle to get into older games, so preferably released in the last decade.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Viperix posted:

I want to be a space pirate. What's a good game that lets me be a space pirate? Only caveat is I admittedly struggle to get into older games, so preferably released in the last decade.

Rebel Galaxy

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm looking for a good twin-stick shooter (or single-stick!) - like Deathstate, but with a sci-fi setting. Robots, lasers, etc etc. Neurovoider seems to be what I want, but before I throw down any cash: is there anything else out there? Something better?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

GMDX is the best Deus Ex mod. These videos showcasing the mods features speak for themselves. Add New Vision for better graphics. Also it was a bad idea for me to link that youtube channel because I ended up watching some of the videos and now I'm re-installing Deus Ex.

edit: Oh hey it looks like GMDX already includes New Vision inside of it.

Thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm looking for a good twin-stick shooter (or single-stick!) - like Deathstate, but with a sci-fi setting. Robots, lasers, etc etc. Neurovoider seems to be what I want, but before I throw down any cash: is there anything else out there? Something better?

Helldivers. And if you have a PS4 then Alienation.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

al-azad posted:

Helldivers. And if you have a PS4 then Alienation. still Helldivers.

Fixed it for you.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

al-azad posted:

Helldivers. And if you have a PS4 then Alienation.

Hmm. Everything I've heard about it says it's a reskinned Magika, and I have that already (although I've yet to play it) - and on top of that, the visuals are very brown/yellow, which is...hmm.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hmm. Everything I've heard about it says it's a reskinned Magika, and I have that already (although I've yet to play it) - and on top of that, the visuals are very brown/yellow, which is...hmm.

You've heard lies. Yes, it's a co-op with friendly fire like Magicka but it's very skill intensive providing an avenue to contain the chaos that Magicka doesn't really approach. It's also balanced by making you exceptionally overpowered but with limited ammo and infinite enemies whereas Magicka's difficulty reaches a tipping point where it's basically impossible to win unless you bring along 3 other people.

The best way I can describe it is Verhoeven's Starship Troopers mixed with Warhammer 40K's HUMANS gently caress YEAH aesthetic. The first power up you get is to airdrop a gun turret that slams into the battlefield crushing everything beneath it, including yourself if you're dumb. It tears through enemies with loud, chunky gunfire that sounds fantastic. But the turret doesn't filter friendly targets and will shoot through anything to get the badguys.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Viperix posted:

Rebel Galaxy

Elite: Dangerous

EVE Online (if you're down with MMOs)

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

al-azad posted:

You've heard lies. Yes, it's a co-op with friendly fire like Magicka but it's very skill intensive providing an avenue to contain the chaos that Magicka doesn't really approach. It's also balanced by making you exceptionally overpowered but with limited ammo and infinite enemies whereas Magicka's difficulty reaches a tipping point where it's basically impossible to win unless you bring along 3 other people.

The best way I can describe it is Verhoeven's Starship Troopers mixed with Warhammer 40K's HUMANS gently caress YEAH aesthetic. The first power up you get is to airdrop a gun turret that slams into the battlefield crushing everything beneath it, including yourself if you're dumb. It tears through enemies with loud, chunky gunfire that sounds fantastic. But the turret doesn't filter friendly targets and will shoot through anything to get the badguys.

Does Helldivers need 4 people to do well? Think about playing with a friend but a lot of class-based games kinda falls apart without a full party of people.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Geektox posted:

Does Helldivers need 4 people to do well? Think about playing with a friend but a lot of class-based games kinda falls apart without a full party of people.

Two skilled players is the optimal way to play but it's still fine solo. The missions are randomly generated and you can see their difficulty and reward before selecting them. A big strategy of the game is being stealthy and picking your fights because enemy reinforcements are infinite, so a skilled player can do the hardest missions solo by being fast and kiting scouts. With four players you can't really be stealthy so you have to pull out the big guns but then it becomes Magicka-like in controlling all the chaos and trying not to kill your friends.

I played the game largely by myself or being paired up with random pubbies mid-mission. But the best moments were with a friend I could communicate with.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 16, 2016

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I grabbed the Guild collection on the weekly Steam sale, since I see it get recommended a lot. It came with the Guild Gold Edition, plus the Guild II with Renaissance and Pirates of the European Seas. Which is the best one to start with?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Have there been any good space combat games made since like 2010? Something like Wing Commander. No fluff, no loving resource gathering, just - You're an ace pilot and you gotta go shoot these things with lasers to save the galaxy kinda thing.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Rebel Galaxy

Elite: Dangerous

EVE Online (if you're down with MMOs)

eve online's combat is basically space pirating: the game but man is it not easy to get into

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Have there been any good space combat games made since like 2010? Something like Wing Commander. No fluff, no loving resource gathering, just - You're an ace pilot and you gotta go shoot these things with lasers to save the galaxy kinda thing.

House of the Dying Sun is in EA but is looking pretty promising.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

House of the Dying Sun* is very awesome and I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a good space combat game. The missions are all relatively short, well designed IMO, and quite challenging at the higher difficulties. It also has a wave clear mode.

* it'll always be Enemy Starfighter in my heart!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dying Sun is exactly what you're looking for, it is *press button, shoot ships*. Missions are like 5 minutes tops.

e: They're not even called missions, they're sorties. It really reminds me of the old Colony Wars games where you enter a level, beat up a group of ships, maybe fight a boss ship then warp out.

Goon Danton posted:

I grabbed the Guild collection on the weekly Steam sale, since I see it get recommended a lot. It came with the Guild Gold Edition, plus the Guild II with Renaissance and Pirates of the European Seas. Which is the best one to start with?

The first game and the second are different enough with their own unique quirks. I'd start with the first game, see if you like it, then move on to the base second game if you don't.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 17, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The issue with Dying Sun is it will last you two hours tops. It's so good, but also so limited. Your best bet is to look backwards for Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance, definitely Freespace 2 if you haven't played that one yet. Freespace 2 also has very good mods including Blue Planet, and a standalone Battlestar Galactica total conversion.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm looking for games where I can just take over a place like a city or even the world and just rub my dominance in people's face. Not like a 4x game, more like Overlord or Fallout NV.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

djw175 posted:

I'm looking for games where I can just take over a place like a city or even the world and just rub my dominance in people's face. Not like a 4x game, more like Overlord or Fallout NV.
Saints Row games are all good at this. In 4, the sky even changes colour in an area you've spread your filthy influence all over.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

djw175 posted:

Its not city conquering but you can have your own army of mind-controlled orcs to kick the forces of Sauron's asses in Shadow of Mordor.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

double nine posted:

Are there any games as explicitly political/philosophical like Deus Ex? I'm talking dialogues with an AI on the merits/dangers of a surveillance state, corruption, free market liberty, propaganda, etc. Note I don't need those specific subjects but I'm really in for a game that tries to be serious about a social topic. No Human Revolution is not a good answer for this.

Also I expect the answer to be "no" but you never know :(

I know this is a couple weeks old now, but since someone suggested the Talos Principle for this: One of the main designers on Talos Principle is Jonas Kyratzes, who also makes a series of adventure games with his wife, and made a handful of other stuff. Some of his work definitely touches a bit on all the topics you've mentioned. http://www.jonas-kyratzes.net/games/

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

This is more of a "what should I play" request, but let me preface it by saying I'm brand new to any sort of open-world crafting game so some guidance would be helpful. That said, I've purchased Starbound, Terraria and Stardew Valley and was wondering which would be the best to begin with both in terms of quality and learning curve.

While I'm here, can anyone also recommend some of their favorite roguelikes available on Steam or GOG? That's another genre I'd like to try out as well.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jive One posted:

While I'm here, can anyone also recommend some of their favorite roguelikes available on Steam or GOG? That's another genre I'd like to try out as well.

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is still the best one out there.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Jive One posted:

This is more of a "what should I play" request, but let me preface it by saying I'm brand new to any sort of open-world crafting game so some guidance would be helpful. That said, I've purchased Starbound, Terraria and Stardew Valley and was wondering which would be the best to begin with both in terms of quality and learning curve.

Probably Stardew. There's very little pressure to do much of anything in Stardew so you can take it at your own pace and set your own goals. You can do combat and it's a decent money maker on top of your crops, but you don't have to. You're free to just fish and explore to your heart's content. On the other hand, if you do like building, it has little of that, only letting you build your crop layout and some small cosmetic things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is still the best one out there.

Hey, don't forget to rec Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud, DoomRL (not on Steam, but free!) and Sproggiwood! There are an absolutely crazy amount of roguelikes out there, so you might want to visit the roguelikes thread and tell them what you want, because I guarantee there's something out there for what you want.