Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

What resource do you all use to check the best moveset for each pokemon? I've seen the spreadsheet linked in the OP before moves were updated, so I can't tell if the link is still accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Zo posted:

Eh stone edge has the giant crit chance and will do better against things like gyarados and dragonite even without STAB. I'd be happy enough with it.

Exactly.

Be warned about all of those speadsheets out there comparing "dueling power" using disconnected math to determine what's good. Most of these spreadsheets/lists look purely at DPS, and they don't factor in energy generation, the cost of of special, some don't factor in STAB bonuses, how difficult that special is to dodge, crit chance, etc. They also rarely look at if a move is good against the most popular types right now, namely dragon, flying and water.

For example, I'm guessing most of these tier lists or dueling spreadsheets say that Thunder (100 damage, costs 100 energy w/ a 4.3 sec cooldown) is better than Thunder Punch (40 damage, costs 33 energy w/ a 2.4 sec cooldown). In my opinion, Thunder Punch is clearly better -- 120 damage for 100 energy tied to a special that's harder to dodge.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

CanuckBassist posted:

What resource do you all use to check the best moveset for each pokemon? I've seen the spreadsheet linked in the OP before moves were updated, so I can't tell if the link is still accurate.

I just use this: http://www.pokemongodb.net/

I really think a lot of the "optimal lists" or tier lists out there are flawed right now. It's better just to look at the numbers and judge for yourself. That website is good for that, in my opinion.

It doesn't have crit chance on it, though. :(

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Space Skeleton posted:

The newish sighting thing works decently. Was able to catch a squirtle by honing in on it.

What does it even do differently? Nothing ever moves around on my list. Some even disappear from the list, and then come back when I move further in that straight line (uncommon ones). And nothing ever shows a pokestop when I'm near any of those.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

indigi posted:

I got a 100% Charmander and a 97% Dratini. the Dratini I'm confident I'll eventually evolve, but in the month and change I've been playing this game and ~270 eggs, I've caught or hatched three (3) Charmanders. what bullshit.

I feel your pain. The last 10 or so 2k eggs I've hatched, I've only gotten rats, bats and worms.

I really really want more pikachus!

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Hrist posted:

What does it even do differently? Nothing ever moves around on my list. Some even disappear from the list, and then come back when I move further in that straight line (uncommon ones). And nothing ever shows a pokestop when I'm near any of those.

For me it has been reliably disappearing after you get some distance away, I've heard it's 200m and it might be, not sure. But using that and walking down a couple streets I can usually figure out where something is.

It groups them though so if there are 3 lovely birds within range it will only show one.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Ugh, my 93% Nidoking has two bug moves

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

Ugh, my 93% Nidoking has two bug moves

Good news is that Fury Cutter is the best energy generator in the game. The bad news is if you have it on a pokemon that has a lovely special, it's wasted. :(

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The best moveset is the one that requires the least furious tapping on your screen to win highly strategic battles.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I saw a huge rat today but it scurried over a wall before I could throw a razz berry at it. Oh well it probably had bite and infectious disease.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Here's some battle garbage if you care: https://m.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4wzll7/testing_gym_combat_misconceptions/

Most of it is probably too much information but one mildly interesting thing is the assertion that criticals aren't implemented yet. Granted, he only tested Stone Edge (50% crit) and only 7 times... which doesn't seem like enough to make such a sweeping statement.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I got gud enough at dodging in gym battles that I can take on a 50% stronger enemy

sometimes anyway

that video everyone was bagging on because he looked like a police sketch of all of us really helped

I assume the whole taking damage despite dodging was patched in because dodgers pre-patch were completely dominating. I dont think it's possible to take on multiple opponents that have better stats

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Dahbadu posted:

Good news is that Fury Cutter is the best energy generator in the game. The bad news is if you have it on a pokemon that has a lovely special, it's wasted. :(

Bug Bite is a better Fury Cutter.

And there are others that generate a whole 1 less energy per second but do almost 2x the dps (Bite, Dragon Breath, Water Gun).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There is a new update with no text fixes. Does anyone know what it breaks?

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Dahbadu posted:

I feel your pain. The last 10 or so 2k eggs I've hatched, I've only gotten rats, bats and worms.

I really really want more pikachus!

I don't even get the little flutter of excitement when an egg is about to hatch because I almost always get crap from eggs now. How hard would it be to weigh what hatches from eggs in favor of a pokemon that you don't have yet?
And I think having Eevee's in 10k eggs is absolute poo poo. Eevee's are common enough in the wild. 10k eggs are hard enough to even get, and then to spend the time hatching, only to end up with something I saw 2 of on my way to work.

All I want is to fill up my pokedex. I like battling at gyms but I don't give a poo poo about getting the most optimal Lapras with perfect move-set. (It's kinda funny because this is the opposite of when I used to play the actual games, I didn't care about 'catching them all' and only wanted the most powerful team). And I've noticed a distinct lack of potions dropping at pokestops now. Why would Niantic mess with that? I understand they are probably still tweaking the drop % of all pokestop items but if they know there are botters out there cheating with super-high level mons in gyms, a steady supply of potions is pretty much the only chance a non-cheating player can compete. I pretty much don't want to fight at gyms at all now because I am hoarding rare potions.

I started out loving this game and it revived a lot of nostalgia but Niantic seems determined to make the game worse and worse.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Elephanthead posted:

There is a new update with no text fixes. Does anyone know what it breaks?

Reddit's ability to make "minor text fixes" jokes at every opportunity.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Licarn posted:

Bug Bite is a better Fury Cutter.

And there are others that generate a whole 1 less energy per second but do almost 2x the dps (Bite, Dragon Breath, Water Gun).

Bug Bite generates 7 energy per use, at 0.45 secs

Fury Cutter generates 12 energy per use, at 0.4 secs

Where are you getting your numbers?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My parasect has fury cutter and solar beam. It wrecks if I remember to dodge. No one survives two solar beams.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

King of Foolians posted:

I don't even get the little flutter of excitement when an egg is about to hatch because I almost always get crap from eggs now. How hard would it be to weigh what hatches from eggs in favor of a pokemon that you don't have yet?
And I think having Eevee's in 10k eggs is absolute poo poo. Eevee's are common enough in the wild. 10k eggs are hard enough to even get, and then to spend the time hatching, only to end up with something I saw 2 of on my way to work.

All I want is to fill up my pokedex. I like battling at gyms but I don't give a poo poo about getting the most optimal Lapras with perfect move-set. (It's kinda funny because this is the opposite of when I used to play the actual games, I didn't care about 'catching them all' and only wanted the most powerful team). And I've noticed a distinct lack of potions dropping at pokestops now. Why would Niantic mess with that? I understand they are probably still tweaking the drop % of all pokestop items but if they know there are botters out there cheating with super-high level mons in gyms, a steady supply of potions is pretty much the only chance a non-cheating player can compete. I pretty much don't want to fight at gyms at all now because I am hoarding rare potions.

I started out loving this game and it revived a lot of nostalgia but Niantic seems determined to make the game worse and worse.

I agree on a lot of this stuff.

For the first 20 levels or so, I actually got fun stuff from eggs. It was a huge motivator for me to run and move around. I probably walked/jogged like 10k a day. Yes, I'd still get crap, but I'd also get my fair share of fun pokemon.

But since then, I've gotten almost no 10k eggs, what hatches from my 2k and 10ks are pretty much junk, and I'm starting to lose that drive.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Geoff Zahn posted:

For anyone in the Chicago area, I present to you the Chicago Nest Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1hxOwKN9Xk1ZWNx5hgjhNFbPwpbY

It isn't complete - I know there is a Growlithe nest and a Squirtle nest in Blue Island, but I'm not sure how to add anything to the map.

This is great. I haven't checked, but we supposedly have a pikachu nest here in oak lawn by Christ Hospital which isn't on here. PM me if you figure out how to add poo poo.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Game doesnt work on my phone after new update. Does it introduce anythong new that would make it worth figuring out how to fix it?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

My parasect has fury cutter and solar beam. It wrecks if I remember to dodge. No one survives two solar beams.

The use of the word parasect and wrecks does not compute. Maybe I'll try dodging if I ever get enough potions to heal my poke infirmary holy poo poo it's like world war 1 in here

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Real shiftless noob question but does the gym limit how many total mons you can choose from?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Alan Smithee posted:

The use of the word parasect and wrecks does not compute. Maybe I'll try dodging if I ever get enough potions to heal my poke infirmary holy poo poo it's like world war 1 in here

I beat a 2300 snorlax with a 1100 pinsir (he had 2 fighting moves) by dodging all of his dumb earthquakes.

Earthquake is definitely not one of the undodgeables. I think those are blizzard and hurricane?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Zo posted:

I beat a 2300 snorlax with a 1100 pinsir (he had 2 fighting moves) by dodging all of his dumb earthquakes.

Earthquake is definitely not one of the undodgeables. I think those are blizzard and hurricane?

I think it lessens it significantly but goddamn if it doesn't still devastate my mons. Just doesn't one shot at least

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Here's moves sorted by how fast they generate energy: http://www.pokemongodb.net/2016/07/pokemon-moves-sorted-by-energy-per.html

The thing is, I'm not sure how accurate that it. Based on actually playing, it doesn't *seem* like Fury Cutter generates energy twice as fast as Dragon's Breath or Bug Bite, etc. It's faster, but it doesn't seem twice as fast (or maybe it is twice as fast?).

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Game doesnt work on my phone after new update. Does it introduce anythong new that would make it worth figuring out how to fix it?

What occurred in the last patch is they unfucked their throwing mechanics, so curveballs curve less again. They also did a minor tweak to the nearby system, where it drastically reduces the radius and also refreshes better. So if something is on your nearby, it really is near you. Note, you still have to stumble around to find it.

They'll be implementing a better and robust nearby/tracking system soon for all players. So maybe check back in a week or so.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Alan Smithee posted:

Real shiftless noob question but does the gym limit how many total mons you can choose from?

You can pick any six of your mons (who aren't KO'ed) to fight a gym
You can pick any ONE of yours to train at a gym
You can pick any one of yours who is at full health to defend a gym

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
iOS update notes: "No text fixes"

Is this a nod to how dumb "Minor text fixes" was? Or are they really that terrible? It's gotta be the former.. In which case props to them for self-deprecating humor?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Dahbadu posted:

Bug Bite generates 7 energy per use, at 0.45 secs

Fury Cutter generates 12 energy per use, at 0.4 secs

Where are you getting your numbers?

This spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12FpF66WUzvDV0_GIlbcwVGQ4PxjLYqSPpqLqWrVchL4/edit#gid=0

It has Fury Cutter at 6 energy per use, is it wrong?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Licarn posted:

This spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12FpF66WUzvDV0_GIlbcwVGQ4PxjLYqSPpqLqWrVchL4/edit#gid=0

It has Fury Cutter at 6 energy per use, is it wrong?

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure. It definitely doesn't seem like fury cutter generates energy twice as fast as bug bite.

In other words, the spreadsheet is wrong or the pokemon db website is wrong.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 11, 2016

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Too bad parasect is so fragile you have to dodge everything and solar beam just takes ages for the animation to finish. It's good training fodder for your pidgeottos, though.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Looks like I'm wrong.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 11, 2016

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

poemdexter posted:

"But mom, EVERYONE was doing it!"

why are there two idiots in this thread mad about harmless poo poo like this you think the idiocy would be contained to one person

do you get mad when people use external tools to check their pokemon IVs in the actual handheld games??? Because that's a thing people do and you'd probably get laughed at for implying that's cheating somehow

ya'll got funny ideas on what constitutes cheating and an even funnier view of how people who play video games work

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Nevermind, I'm wrong: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4vcobt/posthotfix_pokemon_go_full_moveset_rankings/d5xxrfg

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Fury Cutter is not that great, it seems. Not sure why they nerfed it so badly in the last patch.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

King of Foolians posted:

And I've noticed a distinct lack of potions dropping at pokestops now. Why would Niantic mess with that?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Alan Smithee posted:

When I had the gym error thing (one fight away from making a level 9 stack!) over and over again I reinstalled, that fixed the error. ymmv

I would have burnt that church down if someone pokesniped it

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Pokemon GO: I would have burnt that church down if someone pokesniped it

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Oh, whew. Good to know everything I thought was true wasn't wrong.

I was going to say the spreadsheet was made after the patch, and the author has been making constant changes (adding new tabs with different criterion etc.) so it would have been strange if they'd kept using the old energy values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Here's another spreadsheet by an author that datamines info himself (or herself, I guess): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hcFo7-UGWx1k1u1BHOvDhq8foPeRr7YbX2jLjjJK0Qw/edit#gid=243157850

Doesn't hurt to have multiple sources.

Edit:

It also helpfully lists dodge windows for attacks. It looks like Blizzard is the only charged move that can't be dodged. Hurricane can *definitely* be dodged. But there are some charged moves that are pretty tough to dodge, such as Draining Kiss. Looks like Stone Edge stands out as doing a bunch of damage and being relatively difficult to dodge too.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 11, 2016

• Locked thread